Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2021, 07:39 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #20809
what batteries does the solar panel charge?

stock solar 100watt system, does it charge only the house batteries? My coach has been in the shop for 4 weeks and yesterday the ford link app started sending me alerts that the batteries we low. Im assuming it meant the 2 under the hood. Is there a way to chet the solar batteries to provide a trickle charge to those as well?

Old 12-02-2021, 07:57 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
My 2021 Axis has the OEM 100 watt panel and its controller output is wired directly to the house batteries so it will charger them whether the battery disconnect switch is on or off.

But your problem may be how the Precision Circuits BIM 160/225 is wired, assuming you have one. Thor wires it backwards so it doesn't work as designed. The Batt A terminal, the one on the side with the ignition circuit terminal, should be wired to the chassis battery.

TF member Judge figured this out a while back. Maybe he will chime in with advice.

David
Old 12-02-2021, 09:12 PM   #3

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryD View Post
stock solar 100watt system, does it charge only the house batteries? My coach has been in the shop for 4 weeks and yesterday the ford link app started sending me alerts that the batteries we low. Im assuming it meant the 2 under the hood. Is there a way to chet the solar batteries to provide a trickle charge to those as well?
My ACE charges both. I took a meter and checked the Ford battery on a sunny day and it was charging over 14 volts so I know it charges both. It's nice not having to plug it in in the winter
Old 12-02-2021, 10:42 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
"In the shop" = no solar
Even if it's not inside it may be parked where it doesn't get much sun.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:55 PM   #5

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
"In the shop" = no solar
Even if it's not inside it may be parked where it doesn't get much sun.
In a shop for 4 weeks shouldn't kill the batteries. And mine doesn't need bright sunlight to charge the batteries even if it's overcast they stay charged
Old 12-03-2021, 05:25 AM   #6

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
In a shop for 4 weeks shouldn't kill the batteries. And mine doesn't need bright sunlight to charge the batteries even if it's overcast they stay charged
Same here... My MH has a cover on it, with just one of the two100 watt panels exposed. Anyone familiar with Ohio winters knows how overcast it is here. Even so, BOTH house and chassis batteries stay at 13.8 volts.
Old 12-03-2021, 12:13 PM   #7

Model: Magnitude XG32
THOR #18758
Quote:
The panels should be charging all your batteries through the BIM when plugged in, the generator is running, the engine is running or when your solar panel is operating.
Old 12-03-2021, 12:26 PM   #8

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmthrust View Post
The panels should be charging all your batteries through the BIM when plugged in, the generator is running, the engine is running or when your solar panel is operating.
True, as long as it is wired properly. Thor wires it backwards. See my post above and read the attachment below by TF member Judge and the data sheet for the BIM 160.

David
Attached Files
File Type: doc BIM 160 Wiring.doc (14.0 KB, 70 views)
File Type: pdf Precision Circuits BIM 160-Rev7-1.pdf (711.5 KB, 50 views)
Old 12-03-2021, 02:54 PM   #9

Model: Magnitude SV34
THOR #20809
In the shop but still parked outside in the sun for the majority of the time. Was otld they plugged it in 2 days agoo and I've suddenly started receiving errors form the ford app. "pre collision assist not available". and "Hill start assist warning". Im hoping both aree just related to the change in charge state. Fingers crossed.
Old 12-03-2021, 03:23 PM   #10

Model: Magnitude XG32
THOR #18758
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
True, as long as it is wired properly. Thor wires it backwards. See my post above and read the attachment below by TF member Judge and the data sheet for the BIM 160.

David
True, mine was also wired backwards.