Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2023, 12:52 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
State: Georgia
THOR #29616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
How do you clean the A/C units on a rig like that? Or inspect the sealant? How many of those attachment points will leak in a good downpour? How do you get up there to clean the panels? Too many questions for me to do something like that.
Use 200 watt panels instead of 300 watt panels which are much bigger. I have 12 panels & plenty of room to access ac’s etc. panels are not over seams in the roof. Brackets & screws holding panels are stainless. Why would these attachments leak in a downpour? I’ve had my system 2 years & 90% if the time we can dry camp & use one AC for 6 hours plus use any other 120 volt items we want. Solar isn’t for you but that doesn’t mean it’s not right for others. In the early days of slide outs there were many people skeptical. Now they are on many rvs. And if you’re looking st potential leaks think about that big opening the slide out fits into.

Old 05-07-2023, 01:17 PM   #22

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
Use 200 watt panels instead of 300 watt panels which are much bigger. I have 12 panels & plenty of room to access ac’s etc. panels are not over seams in the roof. Brackets & screws holding panels are stainless. Why would these attachments leak in a downpour? I’ve had my system 2 years & 90% if the time we can dry camp & use one AC for 6 hours plus use any other 120 volt items we want. Solar isn’t for you but that doesn’t mean it’s not right for others. In the early days of slide outs there were many people skeptical. Now they are on many rvs. And if you’re looking st potential leaks think about that big opening the slide out fits into.
I think the problem or confusion is when some speak of Solar, they may not tell the whole story so for some it reads as greener on the other side.

Pictures and/or statements of what solar was expected achieve with costs versus known limitations helps a lot. I do agree that solar is not for everyone and for others it may be everything. i.e. I boondock too, but boondock without power is quite different than someone boondocking 2 days versus 2 months. Where I get perplexed is where on earth do you boondock for that long where the generator is not allowed?

For me, (I live in Texas) , it all about the AC and my Furnace / fridge with propane. I can go 2 days off my 250ah batteries ( actual 125ah) for everything else. But my genny tops off 2 hours every day when my voltage hits 12.5vdc. Now if I need AC for 12 hours one day, I get AC for 12 hours. My batteries are now 3 years old and have never been below 12.4vdc.

With that said if I ever buy a new RV, my guess 5- 7 years from now, it will likely be one of the new WBGO EV RVs that can all my ACs needs, all my fridge & furnace needs?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 01:53 AM   #23

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 22E
State: New York
THOR #12119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
The Achilles heel of RV solar/battery power sources is air conditioning. Everything else is manageable, but when you add the massive amperage requirements of traditional compressor powered cooling units - coupled with the extremely poor R-value of an RV, all bets are off.

Scrap the A/C and it's quite possible to comfortably do with half the batteries and solar. But if you MUST have A/C, better invest in a ground based solar farm and semi-trailer packed with battery storage to travel with you.

Otherwise, just fire up the generator, sit back and relax.
I suppose a mini split air conditioners to replace the roof units would help reduce energy use. Has anyone added them to their RVs
Old 05-08-2023, 03:54 AM   #24

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry899 View Post
I suppose a mini split air conditioners to replace the roof units would help reduce energy use. Has anyone added them to their RVs
Quite a few on YouTube.
I'll do it if the time/need arises.
Chassis mount.

We do just fine with the single roof mount and dash air.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 09:57 AM   #25

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I'm pretty happy with my current solar / LiFePO4 / Inverter-Charger setup in my SV34. I have 850AH of LiFePO4 and 490W of Solar with a 3000W Inverter / Charger. I doubt I would ever add any more solar..... especially that much.

I can run one of the two A/C's over night without any problem and have power to spare. Overnight last August we ran one A/C, an AC powered fan next to the bed. Charged two laptops and phones and made two pots of coffee the next morning and I was at 70% SOC before moving down the road.

Last year when heading from Flagstaff in the 70's to Phoenix at 110, I would have normally been running the generator and both A/C's to keep things cool before we stopped for the day. Instead I was able to run one A/C off my Inverter and keep the coach reasonably cool without running the generator and stressing it from the ambient heat. Between the solar and alternator I hardly used much power at all.

I also went with flexible solar panels to cut down on the weight... make it easy to swap them out if need...... no holes drilled into the roof.... and easier access on the roof. I have no complaints with how my solar has performed.

I guess if you wanted to ditch the generator and go 100% batteries in its place, I would probably go with this 48V system, cover the roof with flexible panels and add a 48V to 12V transformer.

https://bigbattery.com/products/48v-...372ah-19-0kwh/
Old 05-08-2023, 12:16 PM   #26

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
At 6'4" I've always been jealous of guys 5'7".
The myriad of cars they can drive that I look like a clown in....

Look up Bill Cosby Cobra.
You can't please everybody. I'm 5'7" and envy, sometimes, people over 6'. That is until I trip and realize I don't have as far to fall. As a pilot I also fit into cockpits better than someone real tall. So all in all, I'm content, mostly, to be where I am.

Oh and I fit nicely/mostly in my Miata. Seat backs a bit narrow though.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 04:02 PM   #27

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
You can't please everybody. I'm 5'7" and envy, sometimes, people over 6'. That is until I trip and realize I don't have as far to fall. As a pilot I also fit into cockpits better than someone real tall. So all in all, I'm content, mostly, to be where I am.

You should also be content that small men and women live longer and age slower than their larger counterparts.

On the other hand larger people often have more opportunities in life; except for things like sports that challenge gravity.

In the end I suppose everything averages out.
Old 05-08-2023, 04:12 PM   #28

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
You should also be content that small men and women live longer and age slower than their larger counterparts.

On the other hand larger people often have more opportunities in life; except for things like sports that challenge gravity.

In the end I suppose everything averages out.
All give and take and something neither duck nor I can change, thus we accept the hand dealt.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 04:45 PM   #29

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
…..cut…..

I can run one of the two A/C's over night without any problem and have power to spare. Overnight last August we ran one A/C, an AC powered fan next to the bed. Charged two laptops and phones and made two pots of coffee the next morning and I was at 70% SOC before moving down the road.

……cut…..

Your experience suggests that you only used about 3 kWh for one air conditioner overnight, and without getting into details of A/C size, efficiency, etc., it proves that air conditioning a bedroom area of a motorhome (or entire small van) at night without a generator is very practical without having to spend a fortune.

Taken to the next logical step (that manufacturers may add a little extra insulation, dual-pane windows, better slide seals, and air conditioners with EER similar to mini-split), it should be expected that air conditioning without generators will become much more common; at least for overnight cooling.

The trend towards going generator-less has taken longer than I expected, but we seem to be proceeding in that direction for the most part. It’s interesting that do-it-yourselfers like you are having as much success as manufacturers, if not more.
Old 05-10-2023, 03:29 PM   #30

State: California
THOR #22924
Additional benefits to your proposed solar

After reading all of the comments, a couple of other thoughts to add:
- Covering your rooftop will reduce the heat inside from the roof. The panels will be absorbing the solar energy and the air gap between the panels and the roof will provide insulation from the panel heat. Your roof currently absorbs the heat and it is directly transferred to the motorhome ceiling (minimal insulation)

- covering your rooftop appliances (AC, vent fans, etc.) should prolong the life of the unit as it's not exposed to the harsh weather and sun. Additionally, a shaded AC unit will be more efficient than one in the direct sun.

- you may increase the life of the roof as it will now be covered and protected

- a thought re: structural concerns, especially over the slide-out areas. A frame could be built that has load bearing posts on the front and rear corners as well as any other structurally sound area, allowing you to "bridge" over the slides and distribute the weight into the structural points on the coach.

I understand your use-case and see what you are trying to achieve. Just my 2-cents on this.
Old 05-10-2023, 04:03 PM   #31

Model: Magnitude SV34
THOR #20809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickszat@gmail.com View Post
After reading all of the comments, a couple of other thoughts to add:
- Covering your rooftop will reduce the heat inside from the roof. The panels will be absorbing the solar energy and the air gap between the panels and the roof will provide insulation from the panel heat. Your roof currently absorbs the heat and it is directly transferred to the motorhome ceiling (minimal insulation)

- covering your rooftop appliances (AC, vent fans, etc.) should prolong the life of the unit as it's not exposed to the harsh weather and sun. Additionally, a shaded AC unit will be more efficient than one in the direct sun.

- you may increase the life of the roof as it will now be covered and protected

- a thought re: structural concerns, especially over the slide-out areas. A frame could be built that has load bearing posts on the front and rear corners as well as any other structurally sound area, allowing you to "bridge" over the slides and distribute the weight into the structural points on the coach.

I understand your use-case and see what you are trying to achieve. Just my 2-cents on this.

I agree. thank you for your insight.
Old 05-11-2023, 03:05 AM   #32

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
On the theme of covering the roof components with solar panels... An interesting hard-core proof of concept would be to (as mentioned) tear into the aluminum framed wall structure. Weld vertical corner extensions and cross bracing in place. Basically create a "roof rack" on top for the panels.

The downsides are increased height by a foot or more; increased center of gravity; possibly adding even more wind resistance to an already poor drag coefficient.

I'm sure an overlander coach in Australia with these design elements already exists. Things to consider: This solves the energy problem... but what about water and sewage? I'm thinking 200 gallons of fresh water and 100 gallons each for black and gray? That's a start!!

If we figured out a way to send people to the moon and back, surely there's a way to engineer an RV that's self sustaining for at least a week. But they cheated by flushing their "space poop" out into the void of space...
Old 05-11-2023, 12:11 PM   #33

Model: 22E
State: New York
THOR #12119
Not for me but Composting Toilets supposedly work well and you can eliminate the black tank. Also you can filter your grey water or evaporate it (google it for grey water filters and evaporating it)
Old 05-11-2023, 12:55 PM   #34

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
The closest we get to boondocking is after hurricanes. Most recent house without power 10 days. We took RV to NC.

No power when got home, had to move bog branches just to get in driveway. Were here 4 days no ppwer. Stayed in RV a/c at night. Spent days cleaning fridge and 2 freezers and gathering 14 flatbed race trailer loads and putting them on swale. Equivalent of a 53' trailer. Somce we spent vast portion outdoors, RV worked fine at night.

We did this with combination of a 5000 watt generator running fridge, 2 freezers and well pump in conjunction with onan to power RV.

One of our neighbors had full house operation with solar, tesla power stations. Had full supply of power for his house. I asked what the cost of independence was, $67,000 plus quartsrly maintenance. I could not justify spending that much when RV/$500 generator can get us through. He did have some panels damaged. I am in tree area and likely could have seen everything trashed.

Seems more like do you really want/need to make the investment?
Old 05-11-2023, 01:29 PM   #35

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry899 View Post
Not for me but Composting Toilets supposedly work well and you can eliminate the black tank. Also you can filter your grey water or evaporate it (google it for grey water filters and evaporating it)

Recirculating shower water seems to be another idea that’s getting a lot of attention lately. A lot of grey water is generated by showering, but I’m not sure how much is actually saved versus being very frugal with regular shower. Some people claim they can shower with less than 2 gallons, so in theory it wouldn't take that much fresh or grey capacity for a couple to go a week.

In my opinion biggest difference depends on expectations of what camping is. If trying to live like at home taking long hot showers every day, running out of water will happen really quick. On the other hand if camping involves a little “roughing it” as if pretending you’re hiking the Appalachian Trail, then most motorhomes already have plenty of fresh and grey capacity for a week.
Old 05-11-2023, 02:06 PM   #36

Model: Magnitude XG32
THOR #18758
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post

Same here. Except, you lost me at Miata!
Old 05-11-2023, 02:40 PM   #37

Model: Magnitude SV34
THOR #20809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
The closest we get to boondocking is after hurricanes. Most recent house without power 10 days. We took RV to NC.

No power when got home, had to move bog branches just to get in driveway. Were here 4 days no ppwer. Stayed in RV a/c at night. Spent days cleaning fridge and 2 freezers and gathering 14 flatbed race trailer loads and putting them on swale. Equivalent of a 53' trailer. Somce we spent vast portion outdoors, RV worked fine at night.

We did this with combination of a 5000 watt generator running fridge, 2 freezers and well pump in conjunction with onan to power RV.

One of our neighbors had full house operation with solar, tesla power stations. Had full supply of power for his house. I asked what the cost of independence was, $67,000 plus quartsrly maintenance. I could not justify spending that much when RV/$500 generator can get us through. He did have some panels damaged. I am in tree area and likely could have seen everything trashed.

Seems more like do you really want/need to make the investment?
For ME solar on the RV is for boondocking in areas where there are strict rules around noise not for disaster mitigation. Same with solar for the home. When all is said and done our home system will cost 130k+ for a 20.5 kw plant with 2 power walls (27kWh of battery). While this will provide some power during an outage it wont serve all our needs all of the time for very long (2 teslas, electric heat/cooling, hot water and oven). This is why both the RV and the home have generators.
Its a whole different discussion but solar for the home is really just a hedge against the rising cost of utilities. Do you want to pay the power company and risk future increases or do you want to "invest" in a system that MIGHT mitigate that? For my specific use cases solar is likely the best bet.
Old 05-11-2023, 03:06 PM   #38

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Recirculating shower water seems to be another idea that’s getting a lot of attention lately. A lot of grey water is generated by showering, but I’m not sure how much is actually saved versus being very frugal with regular shower. Some people claim they can shower with less than 2 gallons, so in theory it wouldn't take that much fresh or grey capacity for a couple to go a week.

In my opinion biggest difference depends on expectations of what camping is. If trying to live like at home taking long hot showers every day, running out of water will happen really quick. On the other hand if camping involves a little “roughing it” as if pretending you’re hiking the Appalachian Trail, then most motorhomes already have plenty of fresh and grey capacity for a week.
No Chance. I will pass on the recirculating shower water

In shower, I wet with hot water, press the hold button, lather, release hold button & rinse off. My guess is 3-4 gallons

We have 70 gal gray tank. We use 2 to 1 gray over black. Mod I wish I had was method to convert bath sink drain to black tank.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 05-11-2023, 03:16 PM   #39

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryD View Post
For ME solar on the RV is for boondocking in areas where there are strict rules around noise not for disaster mitigation. Same with solar for the home. When all is said and done our home system will cost 130k+ for a 20.5 kw plant with 2 power walls (27kWh of battery). While this will provide some power during an outage it wont serve all our needs all of the time for very long (2 teslas, electric heat/cooling, hot water and oven). This is why both the RV and the home have generators.
Its a whole different discussion but solar for the home is really just a hedge against the rising cost of utilities. Do you want to pay the power company and risk future increases or do you want to "invest" in a system that MIGHT mitigate that? For my specific use cases solar is likely the best bet.
Wow that is amazing

We have simple 30 amp transfer switch that is connected to 10 breakers that we need during power outage. I have a 11 year old 3,500 genny that we used to supply the power, but I made mod whereby I can use my 5500 watt Onan from RV to power that same 30amp transfer switch. Cost be about $100 bucks as I wired it myself.

We can't run the ACs, but we can run the ceiling fans. We can't run washer and dryer, but we don't need to if power is out. Both fridges and microwave works just fine. We have gas heat and gas fireplace. We can cook outside with propane/charcoal grill or simply cook in the RV where we do have air because the genny is running.
Old 05-11-2023, 04:56 PM   #40

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
As kids, we camped out often, did our "business" in a hole in the woods and buried it. We used a creek for washing. BUT... that was when we were kids... now fast forward to traveling in a motorhome as adults.

Okay... so I'm going down a rabbit hole here... likely a very personal one - because NO ONE has ever REALLY answered the question of... "How do you get CLEAN with a composting toilet?" Let me give an analogy... Has anyone ever tried to was dishes with a DRY paper towel?

For those too embarrassed to answer my stupid question, kindly post a link with DETAILED... REALLY DETAILED! instructions of use!