Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2023, 06:56 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #20809
whole roof solar

just got a quote for a 3.2 kw whole roof solar panel system.... Any one have any experience with anything similar?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	solar panel full rack example.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	41777  

Old 05-01-2023, 07:48 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
How do you clean the A/C units on a rig like that? Or inspect the sealant? How many of those attachment points will leak in a good downpour? How do you get up there to clean the panels? Too many questions for me to do something like that.
Lt Keefer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 07:48 PM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Experience... as in using a system of this size, or experience having a system like this installed?

If investing that much, I'd consider a track system where each bank of panels could be either slid or tilted to access the other roof components - A/C, vents etc.

Each bank (half) could slide sideways into a "use position" when parked, then slide back to center and lock for travel.
Old 05-01-2023, 07:51 PM   #4

THOR #20809
@Lt Keefer the panels are detachable but you do have to mind the trellis/frame system. Should go a long way toward protecting the roof and a/c I'd imagine.
Old 05-01-2023, 07:53 PM   #5

THOR #20809
@Chateau Nomad mostly around any concerns, especially with travel worthiness.
Old 05-01-2023, 08:06 PM   #6

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
The concern is
Value.
If you have a generator or an alternator or are camped in a cushy park, as shown in that picture,
Solar has exactly
ZERO value.

It's a fine hobby.
A small panel is a precious thing to have for batteries when storing away from shore power.
Otherwise
The only value is boondocking IF you don't have an alternator or generator.

I had a system about half that size on a 19ft toyhauler with a xantrex 3000 and all the solar toys.
No alternator, boondocking, and ran the heater and fridge at night in quiet, no shore power places.
My v10 is quiet enough no one can here it from 10 feet away.

Too much
'Hey! Look at me!'
In that system.

Not.even.if.it.were.free.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 08:26 PM   #7

THOR #20809
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
The concern is
Value.
If you have a generator or an alternator or are camped in a cushy park, as shown in that picture,
Solar has exactly
ZERO value.

It's a fine hobby.
A small panel is a precious thing to have for batteries when storing away from shore power.
Otherwise
The only value is boondocking IF you don't have an alternator or generator.

I had a system about half that size on a 19ft toyhauler with a xantrex 3000 and all the solar toys.
No alternator, boondocking, and ran the heater and fridge at night in quiet, no shore power places.
My v10 is quiet enough no one can here it from 10 feet away.

Too much
'Hey! Look at me!'
In that system.

Not.even.if.it.were.free.
understood and agree. ROI is also nothing. But value is subjective. including 1kwh lithium batteries the system is nearly 30k. So whats that almost 30k buy me? It buys me the ability to boondock on the sand at beaches where generators are not allowed to be run. It allows me to give my wife multi million dollar views from waterfront property @ Race Point in MA, Montauk on LI in NY and countless other places here in Fl. In short, the value of that ~$30k is saving me millions of dollars. Seems pretty valuable to me.
Old 05-01-2023, 08:46 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryD View Post
understood and agree. ROI is also nothing. But value is subjective. including 1kwh lithium batteries the system is nearly 30k. So whats that almost 30k buy me? It buys me the ability to boondock on the sand at beaches where generators are not allowed to be run. It allows me to give my wife multi million dollar views from waterfront property @ Race Point in MA, Montauk on LI in NY and countless other places here in Fl. In short, the value of that ~$30k is saving me millions of dollars. Seems pretty valuable to me.

A system with 3,200 Watts of solar capacity could make 10 kWh of energy on a sunny day, and maybe up to 15 kWh if parked in south or desert in summer. You need a lot more than 1 kWh of lithium battery to start with, depending on what you plan to accomplish.

There are a lot of technical issues that need attention, but energy storage to be useful is one that’s at top of list. Can you describe how you plan to use this system?
Old 05-01-2023, 09:07 PM   #9

THOR #20809
sorry, 1000. its actually 3x 330 victron batteries. plan is for coach to be 100% off grid, running a/c all day etc. most of these places allow you to run your gen for a few hours durring the day to top off as needed.
Old 05-02-2023, 01:27 AM   #10

THOR #20809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
A system with 3,200 Watts of solar capacity could make 10 kWh of energy on a sunny day, and maybe up to 15 kWh if parked in south or desert in summer. You need a lot more than 1 kWh of lithium battery to start with, depending on what you plan to accomplish.

There are a lot of technical issues that need attention, but energy storage to be useful is one that’s at top of list. Can you describe how you plan to use this system?
3 of these for 1010ah @$3k ea

https://rvsolarconnections.com/shop/...thium-battery/
Old 05-02-2023, 02:27 AM   #11

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
just got a quote for a 3.2 kw whole roof solar panel system.... Any one have any experience with anything similar?
What are those struts attached to? I wonder how whether the roof structure would be able to hold the fasters while withstanding the lift generated by all that wing area going down the highway at 70 mph into the 30-mph headwind? Actually, I am sure the fasteners will hold what I am not sure of is will the roof withstand the lift forces trying to pull the fasteners out.

Kind of resembles stuffing a Ford 427 V8 onto a British sports car... No wait someone has already done that. See the Schelby Cobra. NO wait most of those were intended as race cars and barely street legal in the 60's.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean it is wise or prudent.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cobra.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	41784  

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 02:32 AM   #12

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
At 6'4" I've always been jealous of guys 5'7".
The myriad of cars they can drive that I look like a clown in....

Look up Bill Cosby Cobra.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 02:55 AM   #13
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Looks like all the inspection points for attachment are on the outer edges. The panels are quite high so cleaning could be done. A lot of money, but if your happy and going to use them for years to come...
Old 05-02-2023, 03:03 AM   #14

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Wow... double wow. I have zero experience with this. I have zero solar and don't even want to put a panel up to charge batteries. Mainly because I don't need to.

I have 250ah effective 125ah (50%)

You would have 990ah effective 792ah (80%)

So for $30k you can go 6 times longer than I under same conditions assuming I am restricted from using my Genny. Wow!!! But if you are running AC off batteries, I can't replicate that, but you will draw that 6 times longer number to a number a lot smaller.

If you buy, I wish you well. Stick with your priorities. Doesn't seem like cost is factor for you.

My wife and I do kind of what you are saying you want to do a lot but it is not in million dollar value areas. We have State and Camp passes to various lakes that we drive our RV to and just park next to the water, not always a campsite so we boondock. We may be there all day. Sometimes from the inside it looks as if we are in a boat on the water. We runs TVs and AC all day. I get Gennys may not be optimum, but we are never that close to anyone where a Genny can't be run.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 01:20 PM   #15

THOR #2121
Quote:

OK, that’s more like what I’d expect as a bare minimum. Energy storage is just over 12 kWh, so maybe 10 kWh maximum useable. That’s roughly one day’s worth of solar production.

A large motorhome parked in sun will need two air conditioners, and that will require close to 3,000 Watts in middle of day (assuming efficient rooftop units).

Worst-case scenario being that generators are not allowed, you should expect +/- 3 hours of cooling in middle of day before batteries are depleted.

If generators are allowed an hour or two in morning and then again at night, it changes everything because focus should then be to charge batteries as fast as possible, and that’s a different problem altogether.

A solar system similar to what you describe if intended for boondocking makes most sense to me to power one of the two air conditioners at night to sleep comfortably, then have solar recharge batteries during day for the next night.

If your goal is to air condition 24 hours a day without relying on generators, the numbers just don’t work out beyond maybe the first day.

Major concern is that 16 X 200-Watt panels will weigh at least 400 pounds, plus supports, etc. You will add at least 500 pounds on roof, or equivalent of 6 typical RV rooftop air conditioners. This will affect motorhome handling by increasing center of gravity.

Another concern is that roof structures where they span slide openings are not made to support that much weight.

In my professional opinion to make something like this work well would require designing a motorhome from the onset for the intended and specific boondocking application. Retrofitting technology usually ends up costing way too much for what’s gained, and often falls short on performance. It’s a very common problem IMO. As example, I found a van camper that I like floor plan and most of the design and build quality, so went to factory a couple of weeks ago to see how they are built. Unfortunately, to upgrade for boondocking like I want, it would take a ton of money, work and time. It’s technically possible, but jury is out on whether it makes much sense to try upgrading.
Old 05-02-2023, 01:34 PM   #16

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
What are those struts attached to? I wonder how whether the roof structure would be able to hold the fasters while withstanding the lift generated by all that wing area going down the highway at 70 mph into the 30-mph headwind? Actually, I am sure the fasteners will hold what I am not sure of is will the roof withstand the lift forces trying to pull the fasteners out.

Kind of resembles stuffing a Ford 427 V8 onto a British sports car... No wait someone has already done that. See the Schelby Cobra. NO wait most of those were intended as race cars and barely street legal in the 60's.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean it is wise or prudent.
My thoughts as well. Of course, maybe a convertible motor coach might be a sight to see. Just don’t be behind it when it peels off. I wouldn’t trust Thor to have used enough screws to hold it down.
Old 05-02-2023, 04:46 PM   #17

THOR #20809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
My thoughts as well. Of course, maybe a convertible motor coach might be a sight to see. Just don’t be behind it when it peels off. I wouldn’t trust Thor to have used enough screws to hold it down.

I'd think downforce would be more likely than lift. Might help with the high speed cornering....
Old 05-02-2023, 05:34 PM   #18

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Did you you ask to see Convertible RV

No Solar in it either. Not recommended in areas with lots of dust or falling leaves, even with a Leaf Blower.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Convertible RV.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	41792  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 05:59 PM   #19

THOR #20809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
OK, that’s more like what I’d expect as a bare minimum. Energy storage is just over 12 kWh, so maybe 10 kWh maximum useable. That’s roughly one day’s worth of solar production.

A large motorhome parked in sun will need two air conditioners, and that will require close to 3,000 Watts in middle of day (assuming efficient rooftop units).

Worst-case scenario being that generators are not allowed, you should expect +/- 3 hours of cooling in middle of day before batteries are depleted.

If generators are allowed an hour or two in morning and then again at night, it changes everything because focus should then be to charge batteries as fast as possible, and that’s a different problem altogether.

A solar system similar to what you describe if intended for boondocking makes most sense to me to power one of the two air conditioners at night to sleep comfortably, then have solar recharge batteries during day for the next night.

If your goal is to air condition 24 hours a day without relying on generators, the numbers just don’t work out beyond maybe the first day.

Major concern is that 16 X 200-Watt panels will weigh at least 400 pounds, plus supports, etc. You will add at least 500 pounds on roof, or equivalent of 6 typical RV rooftop air conditioners. This will affect motorhome handling by increasing center of gravity.

Another concern is that roof structures where they span slide openings are not made to support that much weight.

In my professional opinion to make something like this work well would require designing a motorhome from the onset for the intended and specific boondocking application. Retrofitting technology usually ends up costing way too much for what’s gained, and often falls short on performance. It’s a very common problem IMO. As example, I found a van camper that I like floor plan and most of the design and build quality, so went to factory a couple of weeks ago to see how they are built. Unfortunately, to upgrade for boondocking like I want, it would take a ton of money, work and time. It’s technically possible, but jury is out on whether it makes much sense to try upgrading.
thank you for the response. I had not considered the weight on the roofs impact to the rigs center of gravity. Will noodle on it but not sure it'll be significant enough to matter for me. Its 8x405 panels btw if that matters. If I narrow down my use cases I come to two "most common" scenarios. 1. is a 12hr day at the beach, RV parked in a waterfront lot or road without power. 2nd is a week on the sand where we'd have to run the generator for some period each day. I think in both cases the system makes a significant impact on our enjoyment. I agree its not perfect but is the highest improvement for $ spent I can come up with.
Old 05-02-2023, 06:46 PM   #20

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
The Achilles heel of RV solar/battery power sources is air conditioning. Everything else is manageable, but when you add the massive amperage requirements of traditional compressor powered cooling units - coupled with the extremely poor R-value of an RV, all bets are off.

Scrap the A/C and it's quite possible to comfortably do with half the batteries and solar. But if you MUST have A/C, better invest in a ground based solar farm and semi-trailer packed with battery storage to travel with you.

Otherwise, just fire up the generator, sit back and relax.