Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2024, 05:35 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 22E
State: California
THOR #31946
WiFi TV Access with Winegard

Not sure what's the cause of the problem. I am doing a shakedown caming at a local park. Using Winegard with T-Mobil, I can access local TV channels, but it went silent sometimes. However, my notepad WiFi internet access don't seem to have any problem. Does anyone have similar problem with Winegard T-Mobil WiFi service? Thank you for sharing your experiences.

2024 Thor Chateau 22E
RetiredTorng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 03:17 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
If the T mobile is a hot spot and the Winegard is connected you are losing signal strength through the Winegard. Just connect the TVs to the T mobile.
Old 03-05-2024, 03:22 PM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
If winegard had value, I'd have winegard. A dollsr store quality swiss army knife from years ago, it has no purpose at all that can't be undermined by ANYTHING simpler.

Hot spot your phone.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 04:29 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
I have never owned, touched or even used a Winegard, but after 5 years of reading threads about Winegards on this site it perplexing me that some swear by it. I would save time, cut bait and try something else.

A few years ago, I thought I may see the value because the reception being on top of the roofs makes sense, but fact is; if your phone works in the RV, and in our case our T Mobile Black box works inside the RV, what purpose or value would a Winegard serve other than another failure point?

FWIW the new T Mobile Home internet boxes come with an option to use an antenna, but even T Mobile will tell you, the optional antenna will do nothing to increase your coverage area. I don't have or need an Antenna. Plus I cam carry the Black box anywhere I go, I even put in back seat of Navigator. Just endless flexibility and I got grandfathered really low price.

Two purchases that really improved our RV lifestyle.

1. 2 New AGM batteries with maximum Grop 31 ah capacity
2. T Mobile Home Internet, we never fool with SSIDs we just get in the RV and go, all laptops, tablets, & TVs connect automatically.

No weight on the roof, nothing to just be a parasite on the battery.

Note: I am not saying that some don't love and adore Winegard, so be it; just that I read 90% issues including roofs being ripped off due to Winegard installs and never read a thread from someone how a Winegard saved the day. By contrast I could crow about the Home Internet Services ( from several providers) all day long until the Admins kick me off for a time out
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 05:29 PM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I have no vested interest in Winegard but it came along with the package so I tried it. On our trip out west last year it was amazing how little cell service was available and how slow CG wifi systems were...when the actually worked. The advantage to me is Winegard is satellite driven versus cell service. Just 2 weeks ago I changed out the back TV to a smart TV. I left the Dish Tailgater Pro at home...along with the tripod, miles of coax and the hour long drama of finding satellites to test my new system of YouTube TV with Winegard service. It was seamless and you can watch programs underway. Winegard is a bit pricey so I'll try using the phone as a hot spot and compare them. We have unlimited with Verizon but you still have to have cell signal to use it and they choke down the speed after a while. Winegard has a lot to improve on but, when you weigh the options...it doesn't seem like there are many. I will only use the YouTube TV for races on FS1, a few minutes of the news and weather in the AM, paying bills on a secured connection and mostly use OTA TV for what little TV we watch. So far...so good. Off subject...has anyone here used Consumer Cellular compared to Verizon? It's 1/3 the price and use the same towers so there has to be a catch.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 05:29 PM   #6

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
If winegard had value, I'd have winegard. A dollsr store quality swiss army knife from years ago, it has no purpose at all that can't be undermined by ANYTHING simpler.

Hot spot your phone.

Only an option if you have unlimited hotspot data. On my plan hotspot data is limited to 5GB. I burn through that in about less than 3 days. Then it steps down to 3g speeds. I can get up to 50GB hotspot data for an additional $25 a month. I would still burn through that near the end of the month. Much better to have the 5G internet black box.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 06:06 PM   #7

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
We just pay the overlimit fees on our phones wifi plan when we're on the road for a month long trip and do not have overages when we're not on the road for a month. It winds up costing us maybe $100 extra if we're on the road for a full month and don't have a date/account change while on the trip, if a new billing cycle starts while we're gone then it might be just $30.

It's a very easy very flexible way to do it without calling in and setting dates or whatever it is you guys with a full time rv wifi set up do.

We get in the RV, set the hotspot
and
the Alexa/Echo locks in, the tv's(we download YouTube and netflix movies and serials before we leave) lock in, the blink c.ameras lock in, the dash cam locks in....
Absolutely NO EFFORT.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 09:50 PM   #8

THOR #13058
T Mobile Home Internet is Unlimited and does not drop down in speeds, but I guess if you go on the road (away from home address) and stream continuous non stop 24/7 for 30 days you might catch T Mobile's attention?

We have T Mobile phones that we use to use as Hotspots 3 years ago, it works but they would step down in speeds after so much data. Sometimes I could not stream a full football game. Buying hotspot devices are okay but as stated they too are limited, but a Home Internet box is unlimited.

It has been 5 years and we have yet to travel someplace, need T Mobile service where it was not readily available. We have a trip planned in May (Memorial Day weekend) where there will be NO CELLULAR, NO WIFI. I am actually looking forward to seeing what it will be like camping where it is NOT possible to have internet. Right now we are planning around it. i.e. we are picking the Netflix movies to download, I bought GMRS radios so we can roam the campgrounds and still talk to each other.

I think T Mobile price is going up to $60/year? When I first got it was $50 and then they discounted (because of loyalty and other phones) to $25/mo. It is no brainer. No need for Satellite. Besides if I am patient ( I am) T Mobile is working with Starlink to provide coverage in the areas where T Mobile service is known NOT to exist.

Again my point is not to bash Satellite or Winegard, but simply to say that for the pain I read from a lot of RV owners, they may be trying to make the square peg fit in circular hole just because TMC put the thing on their roof

Don't believe me, search this site for Winegard, read about 15 minutes and you will see how my perspective was formed. If I looking to buy a new TMC and it had a Winegard, I would insist they remove it before buying. I think it is akin to those cheap solar controllers they install that if you ever wanted to really get into Solar, you would need something else anyway.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 03-05-2024, 10:26 PM   #9

THOR #31946
Winegard and T-Mobile

Thanks to all of your advices. I'm not totally convinced Winegard and T-Mobile is the best solution. I have two requirements:
1) watch local news and weather on my TV,
2) have internet access for my computer,

I don't watch movies, and I get all google internet from my computer. I understand these 2 requirements are easy if I'm in the metropolitan or around towns. But it may not be that easy when I'm in the wilderness and on the mountains/forests. If anyone has experience how they get good access in those areas, would appreciate some advices. Thank you.
2024 Thor Chateau 22E
Old 03-06-2024, 12:37 AM   #10

THOR #24216
We use a dedicated 5G hotspot with WiFi that stays on in the RV 24/7. No muss, no fuss.
Old 03-06-2024, 12:58 AM   #11

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
I uses t mobile home for years. Great fast easy.
My issue was they are capping at 100GB.
I Tested the true limit and called them to verify.
Also, we traveled to 5 parks in NM, CO with family.
To my surprise no or 1 bar t mobile phones & home internet.
BUT WAIT
Verizon family had full signal and we HAD to hotspot to them!
I was pissed & switched
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 02:50 AM   #12

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredTorng View Post
Thanks to all of your advices. I'm not totally convinced Winegard and T-Mobile is the best solution. I have two requirements:
1) watch local news and weather on my TV,
2) have internet access for my computer,

I don't watch movies, and I get all google internet from my computer. I understand these 2 requirements are easy if I'm in the metropolitan or around towns. But it may not be that easy when I'm in the wilderness and on the mountains/forests. If anyone has experience how they get good access in those areas, would appreciate some advices. Thank you.
Sounds like you answered this question in your post #1?

1. You said you don't have any problem with Internet / WiFi with T mobile on your laptop.

2. Local TV if there; are local channels is simple with a simple Antenna

If you have a Samsung Smart TV connected to Internet you will get Samsung TV and it has 100s of Channels and it is all free.

We don't normally watch movies either but we are going to a State Park with ZERO Cellular and no T Mobile access. In 5 years I have never been anywhere with no Internet with T Mobile. So we are speculating on what we might do when we spend 4 days without Internet. We will have our Antenna to watch local channels but that is rare for us. Normally we watch the Dallas local news no matter where we are because of YouTube TV.

IMO, given you already have T Mobile, se if they have TMobile Home in your area, get a promo and you will NEVER have any concerns on this topic again. If you frequently go places with no cellular service, you have no choice but Satellite.
Old 03-06-2024, 02:06 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Quote:
Not sure what's the cause of the problem. I am doing a shakedown caming at a local park. Using Winegard with T-Mobil, I can access local TV channels, but it went silent sometimes. However, my notepad WiFi internet access don't seem to have any problem. Does anyone have similar problem with Winegard T-Mobil WiFi service? Thank you for sharing your experiences.
It works if know how to set it up. Their app blows but http 10 net connection works well.
It is around 12 feet in the air so it has little more range then router
Can run 2 sids
I use it with starlink when we out on outerbanks so can share one sid to a caravan of rigs.
I have tmobile and Verizon bricks so harley ever use winegard. But love broadcasting couple sids with my political statements!
Old 03-06-2024, 02:28 PM   #14

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Sounds like you answered this question in your post #1?

1. You said you don't have any problem with Internet / WiFi with T mobile on your laptop.

2. Local TV if there; are local channels is simple with a simple Antenna

If you have a Samsung Smart TV connected to Internet you will get Samsung TV and it has 100s of Channels and it is all free.

We don't normally watch movies either but we are going to a State Park with ZERO Cellular and no T Mobile access. In 5 years I have never been anywhere with no Internet with T Mobile. So we are speculating on what we might do when we spend 4 days without Internet. We will have our Antenna to watch local channels but that is rare for us. Normally we watch the Dallas local news no matter where we are because of YouTube TV.

IMO, given you already have T Mobile, se if they have TMobile Home in your area, get a promo and you will NEVER have any concerns on this topic again. If you frequently go places with no cellular service, you have no choice but Satellite.
Hey..when we go to no internet access places we download everything before we get there
Old 03-06-2024, 08:19 PM   #15

THOR #31946
Bought a 20 ft HDMI cable, use the RV TV as my second screen of my notebook. I can move a google screen to my TV, play music there. Life is still good even when it rains outside. Enjoy your RV life too.
2024 Thor Chateau 22E
Old 03-09-2024, 09:17 PM   #16

Model: 2024 Axis 24.1
THOR #28777
Smile The Winegard system

A Winegard Connect 2 4G LTE unit came with my 2024 Axis 24.1 as part of the price. I know, I know, the price of the motorhome was increased to cover the cost of the Winegard. Fine with me.

I use it on every trip and have had zero, repeat ZERO problems with it. It works as advertised, it's easy to refresh my Winegard data plan every 30 days, Winegard does not throttle my speed for any reason, and it's just plain convenient.

I'm posting this positive review simply because so many will post a complaint but few will post a complement. That seems to simply be human nature. This is probably the reason that such a high percent of what is written about the Winegard and anything else is negative. Just wonder what that percentage would look like if folks began posting about their positive experiences with the Winegard, or their stack pair washer drier, or their 12 volt residential type refrigerator, and on and on?

Just a thought.

Y'all enjoy your day and your RV.

Andy
Old 03-09-2024, 09:50 PM   #17

THOR #31946
Thanks Andy for your positive experience. What is the mobile phone company and plan you sign up, may I ask?
2024 Thor Chateau 22E
Old 03-09-2024, 11:18 PM   #18

State: Florida
THOR #31211
Quote:
We have a Thor Gemini and we are using the t mobile home internet, it is a black box pretty small and since we are with Tmobile for our cell phones we pay $30 per month we have winegard on our motorhome but do not use it, the Tmobile home internet works like a charm we are streaming direct tv, Netflix etc without any problem, no buffering
Old 03-10-2024, 03:17 AM   #19

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agvegas View Post
A Winegard Connect 2 4G LTE unit came with my 2024 Axis 24.1 as part of the price. I know, I know, the price of the motorhome was increased to cover the cost of the Winegard. Fine with me.

I use it on every trip and have had zero, repeat ZERO problems with it. It works as advertised, it's easy to refresh my Winegard data plan every 30 days, Winegard does not throttle my speed for any reason, and it's just plain convenient.

I'm posting this positive review simply because so many will post a complaint but few will post a complement. That seems to simply be human nature. This is probably the reason that such a high percent of what is written about the Winegard and anything else is negative. Just wonder what that percentage would look like if folks began posting about their positive experiences with the Winegard, or their stack pair washer drier, or their 12 volt residential type refrigerator, and on and on?

Just a thought.

Y'all enjoy your day and your RV.

Andy
Thanks Andy.
Keep the freedom of speech going
Old 03-10-2024, 03:40 AM   #20

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
I found that along the states from Utah to the Pacific Winegard and any cell frustrating especially along the say the 101 and rt 1. Cell coverage is horrible making winegard useless in many places. We use Starlink. Works great every location other than deep forest. We have had two grandkids doing their video gaming while my daughter zooming and us streaming, no issues.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote