Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2020, 06:06 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
winterizing questions

I have a couple of questions on winterizing our Omni XG32. I have not winterized an RV with an icemaker or a tankless water heater before.
Is there a shut off valve for the ice maker? if so how do you get the water out of the line?
Do you run antifreeze through the tankless water heater or is there a bypass for it?

Thank you in advance.

Old 10-02-2020, 10:49 AM   #2

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
On mine there is no bypass for the tankless water heater, so antifreeze runs through it. I don't have an ice maker, but I'm sure someone else will give you answers for that. Still, read your owner's manual, or call the dealer or contact Thor cust. service. They can give you info on your specific model.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:06 AM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
For an icemaker you pressure up the water system with antifreeze solution (using the water pump) and make a tray or two of ice until it comes out pink. Make 3-4 trays when you dewinterize to flush out all of the antifreeze.

David
Old 10-02-2020, 03:50 PM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
You have a couple options but winterizing the ice maker is not critical. The water supply line to ice maker is not copper and subject to bursting from freezing conditions. And if you think about it logically, the entire ice maker assembly is in freezing conditions all of the time.

Here are instructions from GE for winterizing a fridge (including ice maker) that will be stored in unheated conditions.

https://products.geappliances.com/ap...ontentId=35964

If you really want to run anti-freeze through it because it will make you feel better, here is the fastest way to do it.

I did not run anti-freeze through the ice maker in my SC34 last winter and it is still cranking out ice as we speak.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:42 PM   #5

THOR #4243
Thank you everyone, that's all easy enough. This is my project for next week is to finish winterizing.
Think I will use the trick in the video that Judge posted of just running antifreeze through the ice maker, then there are no worries.
Hate putting it up for the year, but winter is coming.
Old 10-04-2020, 02:04 PM   #6

Model: Omni XG32
State: Massachusetts
THOR #19481
Thanks for sharing this video. Makes things faster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
You have a couple options but winterizing the ice maker is not critical. The water supply line to ice maker is not copper and subject to bursting from freezing conditions. And if you think about it logically, the entire ice maker assembly is in freezing conditions all of the time.

Here are instructions from GE for winterizing a fridge (including ice maker) that will be stored in unheated conditions.

If you really want to run anti-freeze through it because it will make you feel better, here is the fastest way to do it.

I did not run anti-freeze through the ice maker in my SC34 last winter and it is still cranking out ice as we speak.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:31 AM   #7

THOR #4243
Finished winterizing RV today and I have to say, this one was easier than the previous 2 motor homes. And the ice maker was a piece of cake, followed the instructions in the video. I did the ice maker last and it took about 30 seconds.
Old 10-09-2020, 01:44 PM   #8

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post

Interesting I forgot about the ice maker the first time I winterized and the line froze and burst.
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:07 PM   #9

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Wisconsin
THOR #18347
On our 31W there is a shutoff for the icemaker, so I closed it and removed the icemaker line to drain it, not a drop came out. I imagine the line would need to be disconnected at the top off the fridge to drain. So I reconnected the line and winterized the entire RV, by the time I was done I had antifreeze in the ice bucket so I know the line has antifreeze in it. We'll see how that works, first time with an icemaker for me also...
Old 10-09-2020, 03:32 PM   #10

Model: Tuscany 42GX
THOR #9178
Best way to clear the ice maker line is using compressd air

Since many will have antifreeze in their icemaker peroxide in the water tank is by far the best way to cure that nasty taste

Or about 6 containers of ice dumped otherwise

Some like chlorine taste but not me, which also helps remove antifreeze taste

Had a large dealer in Grand Island NE winterize my Landmark years ago due to travel issues

The 4 door fridge had a water chiller as well

It froze as did the 1/4 poly tube

Luckily nothing else

The dealer refused to pay for the 80 dollar water chiller
Old 10-14-2020, 12:04 AM   #11

Model: 35SF
State: Michigan
THOR #18186
The ice maker jump wire worked perfect.
Only took a minute and now confident of no internal water valve issues.
Old 10-14-2020, 03:09 AM   #12

THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmers View Post
The ice maker jump wire worked perfect.
Only took a minute and now confident of no internal water valve issues.
Pretty simple and quick procedure
Old 10-14-2020, 10:27 AM   #13

Brand: Jayco
Model: Precept 31UL
State: Tennessee
THOR #14508
Interesting! Does the process shown in the video also handle the water dispenser in the door?

Mickey
Old 10-14-2020, 11:17 AM   #14

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRichaud View Post
Interesting! Does the process shown in the video also handle the water dispenser in the door?

Mickey

You would need to just put a glass under the water dispenser until the antifreeze is running out. Then I would remove the filter.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:19 AM   #15

THOR #14508
Makes sense (coffee hasn't kicked in yet...) - thanks!
Old 10-14-2020, 11:19 AM   #16

THOR #12751
As an FYI..... You can use the jumper trick and compressed air and just push the water out of the ice maker supply line if you don’t want to run antifreeze through the lines.

I have a fitting I connect to my city water port and then connect my compressor to it so I can blow water out of all the lines.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:25 AM   #17

THOR #14508
Yeah, I really like the idea of using compressed air. But we store the coach at a rental unit and can't access my compressor. We do sometimes do the winterization at our last camping outing (will most likely do that this year), but I don't want to drag the compressor along with us. So I'm kinda stuck with just doing the antifreeze.

Hmmm... wonder if my little Viair portable would suffice...
Old 10-14-2020, 12:03 PM   #18

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRichaud View Post
Yeah, I really like the idea of using compressed air. But we store the coach at a rental unit and can't access my compressor. We do sometimes do the winterization at our last camping outing (will most likely do that this year), but I don't want to drag the compressor along with us. So I'm kinda stuck with just doing the antifreeze.

Hmmm... wonder if my little Viair portable would suffice...
I carry this Viair model around with me because I need 110 PSI to fill my tires and it can be hard to find air that goes that high on the road. I once stopped at a truck stop and none of the air was working so I rely on my Viair and carry it wherever we go.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also use it for winterizing. After our trip to the Smokey's I will be using it to winterize my coach when we get to the Thor Service Center on our way back.

Just an FYI.... you want to make sure to use oil-less compressors for winterizing. Otherwise you risk getting small oil particles into your water system.

You only want / need about 40 PSI of pressure to purge water from the lines. I use the low point drain first then I start with the furthest faucet and work my way back one faucet at a time opening the hot and cold lines..... including the shower and toilet. Then I remove the water filter and pour antifreeze down the drains. I've done this without using antifreeze in the water lines and never had any issues.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:12 PM   #19

THOR #14508
My home compressor is a California Air Tools 8 gallon oil-less. But too big to drag around. The Viair is an 88P - not sure it has enough output for the job. Time for more research. (Oh boy!)
Old 10-14-2020, 03:14 PM   #20

THOR #6903
Anyone that has an Aquahot or similar unit should consider antifreeze in addition to blowing out with air if they insist on air as well

Many Aquahot coils have frozen due to water pockets in the copper tubing

Antifreeze only for me but in a different situation air certainly will work performed properly