Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2023, 11:40 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #24216
Workmanship

Thanks extended to Thor for not bothering to properly attach one of the ABS plastic kitchen sink drain line connections together where it runs through the wall between the kitchen slide and under the bedroom floor to the gray tank. Could they have picked a more inaccessible spot to ignore basic plumbing quality control? Cost us quite a bit of money to have a decent shop address one of their failures.

Old 04-01-2023, 01:26 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodLife View Post
Thanks extended to Thor for not bothering to properly attach one of the ABS plastic kitchen sink drain line connections together where it runs through the wall between the kitchen slide and under the bedroom floor to the gray tank. Could they have picked a more inaccessible spot to ignore basic plumbing quality control? Cost us quite a bit of money to have a decent shop address one of their failures.
Why did it cost you money, wasn’t it covered by the warranty?
Old 04-01-2023, 02:55 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Yep quite a problem.
Thor MC does not check any of the plumbing in the QC check as the coach is stored outside prior to the coach being delivered to the dealer. The water lines are check by air pressure at Thor MC plants 750 and 850. I don't know about other plants. On the dealers delivery checklist are items to put water on the coach and test the supply and waste lines. You should never found the problem if the dealer had followed the required PDI checklist.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 04:15 PM   #4

THOR #24216
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Why did it cost you money, wasn’t it covered by the warranty?
Warranty expired in November 2022. This issue would likely have been revealed while it was still under warranty, had it not been sitting unused for months during its first year at the selling dealers service department (Thors authorized warranty service provider) while they slowly addressed a warranty repair for a rear slide failure.
Old 04-01-2023, 04:24 PM   #5

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Warranty expired in November 2022. This issue would likely have been revealed while it was still under warranty, had it not been sitting unused for months during its first year at the selling dealers service department (Thors authorized warranty service provider) while they slowly addressed a warranty repair for a rear slide failure.
Months at a dealer
Due to
Warranty entitlement
Vs
3 hours with a mobile repair at $500 out of pocket.

Priceless.

We can't save the op, but let's hope new owners
Weigh:
convenience vs cost vs months vs warranty.
And the warranty clock keeps ticking...until it isn't.

My generator swallowed the governor butterfly and jammed it, irretrievably, into that crooked neck intake manifold.

It is NOT going to the shop for months with my
$25 deductible woohoo! They have to pay! Childish chant.

I'll drop it, pull the intake(even my boroscope is having a hard time flexxing around that curve from the carb end) and fix it.
It's a handyman 3 hour job vs months at the dealer.

Dollar aware vs time foolish.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 04:27 PM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
To late for you but my advice to anyone looking at a Thor with plumbing in the slide (especially the full wall)...quit looking. Mine had plumbing and gas lines for sink and outside shower, water heater, furnace and ducting, range and gray water drain...all within 2 feet of each other...under the sink. The perfect storm. You couldn't get to any of it without significant disassembly which resulted in bloody arms. Piss poor design reinforced by piss poor assembly.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 04:31 PM   #7

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Thor CS has always been great for us. We contact them with problems before any dealer. They have provided good will warranty repair for us beyond the warranty. I make sure I remember that the CS rep did not build my coach and communicate with them as such. I would expect Thor to have covered you repair under your circumstances,
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 05:33 PM   #8

THOR #24216
The selling dealer PDI was actually done well it seemed, however in this case the intertwining of a furnace duct with the flexible part of the kitchen drain line at the slide (Thor workmanship), with both routed through a rather undersized wall opening pulled the unglued ABS connection apart after using the slide enough times. The dealer time frame expended for prior warranty repairs on the rear slide was all on them however. Warranty purgatory might be a good term for it.
Old 04-01-2023, 06:18 PM   #9

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
It's priceless that so many people always wants to blame the OP.

How foolish to spend your hard earned money and expect a quality product.

How foolish not wanting to spend even more money to fix something that should be fixed by the dealer or manufacturer in a timely manner.

The real fools are the people who buy RV's. If they didn't buy them, the manufacturers and dealers would need to do a better job.
Old 04-01-2023, 06:42 PM   #10

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
It's priceless that so many people always wants to blame the OP.

How foolish to spend your hard earned money and expect a quality product without doing more research than you did on a new biscuit recipe.

How foolish not wanting to spend even more money to fix something that should be fixed by the dealer or manufacturer in a timely manner even though you asked lead times on service before buying.

The real fools are the people who buy RV's and think a warranty is anything but standing in a three month long line to receive a $300 repair. If they didn't buy them with less thought than buying socks, the manufacturers and dealers would need to do a better job.
Fixed it for you.

Don't buy a house without an inspection/research
This is irrefutable.

Why, to you, is an RV any different?
A car any different?
A horse, an airplane, a doctor?

I am not defending the industry.
I'm saying if you're ignorant, due to ignorance or purposefully ignorant, Or giddy with purchase glee, you're going to be capitalized on. Rightfully. Just as a CAR SALESMAN would be expected to do.

Sheep are for shearing.
And they bleat here loudly proclaiming their original lacks as someone else's lacks.

Did they do even half of what you'd do if hiring a house cleaner?
Survey, research, references(this forum)skill, ability, hours, what happens if something is broken?

Nope. They did not.

Where's your line?
Sight unseen delivery to your home of a unit thats been sitting on the lot for 18months, no questions asked by the buyer?

We all have lines.
Mine is at:
Buyer beware
That's a car salesman
I'm not special
Google is your friend.

I think I can sum it up as:
I knew the job was dangerous when I took it.
Those that don't know this, succumb...loudlyly.

It's too late for most who post their problems here.
Commiserating does not help those who haven't purchased yet.

Explaining the personal responsibilty required PRIOR to purchase, and explaining it no uncertain terms, educates.
Dispute this.

Old 04-01-2023, 07:01 PM   #11

THOR #24216
Hindsight is always 20/20. We know exactly where this specific weakness in the manufacturers construction of this drain is located now on our specific model, therefore we are now qualified as all-around drain plumbing experts. Nonetheless, no regrets here on buying the RV whatsoever. Glad in a way too that the manufacturers “warranty” is history.
Old 04-01-2023, 07:06 PM   #12

THOR #13932
Quote:
Hindsight is always 20/20. We know exactly where this specific weakness in the construction of this drain is now on our specific model, therefore we’re all-around experts. Nonetheless, no regrets here on buying the RV whatsoever.
That's a really good outlook.
Make it yours and love it.

You've been a good sport about it.
You're right about hindsight.
I hope for foresight from those who haven't yet purchased.

I hope your situation made others aware.
I never waiver in my outlook.
It's just to educate those who haven't bought yet. Maybe loudly, maybe harshly, but if they don't get it, they'll never get it.
Some(like you) get caught in my imagined scenarios. I'd apologize but you know what's right and what I expounded/multiplied for affect.

Thanks for allowing me.

Personally,
I gave $65k green cash to a guy based on
'I will have the title in three weeks'
We all have risks to take.

Then I had a very rare car shipped by people I didn1t know, paid them up front by zelle, they didn't speak a word of English(used google translator from Russian in text mesages) and I had to front them gas money, and it was all FOURTH party stuff.
It was a nail-biting week.
But
I'd have owned it if it failed.

Old 04-01-2023, 09:11 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
I'll have to agree that taking something to the dealer for warranty service can be a bad idea. I purchased my camper to use it, not let it sit at the dealers lot waiting for warranty repair. I feel like I got a good deal on my Hurricane when I purchased it from Camping World. I also new going in that Camping World was a reputable repair facility. In the first week of ownership I wrote down a list of 22 things that needed warranty attention. I called Camping World for an appointment and was told to call back after 90 days of ownership. I was pissed and started bad mouthing Camping World and Thor. Well, I started going down the list and figuring out the fixes. The only one I couldn't do myself with common hand tools and supplies already in my shop was the front end alignment. Well, Camping World can't do that nor can Thor. I took it to a Ford truck shop and viola, fixed. All told my fixes were less than $200.00 and I never lost a day of camping. Sure, Thor builds junk and a lot of posters here blame the wrong people for the problems with RVs. But most defects are easily fixed by a seasoned homeowner and the only way to fix the RV industry is quit buying new RVs.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 09:24 PM   #14

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I'll have to agree that taking something to the dealer for warranty service can be a bad idea. I purchased my camper to use it, not let it sit at the dealers lot waiting for warranty repair. I feel like I got a good deal on my Hurricane when I purchased it from Camping World. I also new going in that Camping World was a reputable repair facility. In the first week of ownership I wrote down a list of 22 things that needed warranty attention. I called Camping World for an appointment and was told to call back after 90 days of ownership. I was pissed and started bad mouthing Camping World and Thor. Well, I started going down the list and figuring out the fixes. The only one I couldn't do myself with common hand tools and supplies already in my shop was the front end alignment. Well, Camping World can't do that nor can Thor. I took it to a Ford truck shop and viola, fixed. All told my fixes were less than $200.00 and I never lost a day of camping. Sure, Thor builds junk and a lot of posters here blame the wrong people for the problems with RVs. But most defects are easily fixed by a seasoned homeowner and the only way to fix the RV industry is quit buying new RVs.
Very reasonable.
Thanks.

Old 04-01-2023, 10:15 PM   #15

THOR #24216
In our case, the broken drain line that is the topic of my thread could indeed be fixed with common hand tools. The location of the break, however, would have made effective use of those tools a significant challenge for me as an individual. In the end it was properly addressed, without any involvement with Thor, and that was what was important.
Old 04-02-2023, 01:49 PM   #16

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Thor isn't alone in building and designing crappy RVs, they just excel in it. When I say crappy designs I mean a design with a high likelihood that it will fail such as putting plumbing features in slides. So who's to blame, the moron who bought it. Yes I was one of those morons but I trying to get better. What I won't do is park my RV at a dealer for months on end waiting for the dealer to find that box of "round 2 its". If I can move it, I move it home to wait. I also like ducky will fix myself a warranty issue rather than wait on a $50.50 part that I can probably buy for $5.50 and install for free. I don't pay myself much so it's free.

Thor CS is an appeasement section of thor. Designed to handle the easy and cheap stuff and delay things until the warranty runs out. Don't ask or expect anything complicated or fast handling of an issue. Not in the playbook. In fact they probably will insist it go to the dealer and sit on the back lot for months waiting on repair all the while the warranty clock is ticking. Win-win for thor.

Don't buy crap and you'll have less chance of having to fix crap.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 02:21 PM   #17

THOR #24216
Spot-on assessment of Thor CS serving primarily in an appeasement role for warranty issues. We have not set foot on the selling dealers lot since the warranty expired and will not have any future cause to do so. For anything requiring expertise beyond what we ourselves can perform, like this drain pipe issue, we are fortunate to have found an excellent repair shop with turnaround times of a week or so as opposed to months.
Old 04-02-2023, 03:26 PM   #18

THOR #13932
Quote:
Spot-on assessment of Thor CS serving primarily in an appeasement role for warranty issues. We have not set foot on the selling dealers lot since the warranty expired and will not have any future cause to do so. For anything requiring expertise beyond what we ourselves can perform, like this drain pipe issue, we are fortunate to have found an excellent repair shop with turnaround times of a week or so as opposed to months.
My god you're lucky to have a good shop nearby.

I have no love, want, pride or financial incentive in DIY stuff.
I'd gladly pay to have that generator r&r'd.
Even at $25 an hour, under the table, in an area where most folks are trying to get by on $2,000 a month...no takers.

Old 04-06-2023, 10:04 PM   #19

State: Illinois
THOR #2402
Quote:
Hence the term of the warranty … well thought out
Old 04-07-2023, 01:14 AM   #20

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
We were fortunate after massive research of local rv techs to find our rv tech. I called on a Sunday holiday and Kurt responded. This forum has helped me fix many things myself for pennies on the dollar. Our RV tech is amazing and gets me in within 48 hours. I have delivered gift wrapped brandy to him.
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote