Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2021, 05:24 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32
State: California
THOR #22744
XG32 not charging on shore power

I plug in to shore power and the inverter is not running. I’ve flipped the breakers, I’ve turned off the 12 volt switch by the door to reset etc.

There’s two funny breakers under the bed, one will reset, the other won’t.

The one that won’t I’m pretty sure is for the inverter.

Anybody here have any ideas?

If I reset the 12 volt switch by the door the inverter fan will come on for a few seconds and then turns off.

Old 11-01-2021, 08:59 AM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I think you mean Converter and not Inverter. The Omni / Magnitude come with a Converter / Charger and not an Inverter / Charger. The Inverter should be a Xantrex Freedom X 2000.

First and foremost.... is the Use / Store Switch in the "Use" position? When plugged into shore power the switch will still light up red.... even when it is in the "Store" position. If it is in the "Store" position, the house batteries will not charge.

The easiest way to make sure that switch is in the "Use" position is that house battery voltage should be 13-14V when plugged into Shore Power or running the generator and the Converter breaker is on and it is functioning properly. The other option is unplug the Shore Power Cable and if the house batteries aren't dead, the switch should be lit up red and you should have your 12V lights in the coach.

Now your AC Breaker Box will (at least should) have a breaker that is labeled "Converter". If it is off or tripped, the house batteries will not charge. I believe that is a 20A breaker (don't have access to my Magnitude).

The breaker for the AC input to the Inverter is typically labeled as "TV Receptacles". That is because the wiring is such that the AC goes into the Inverter input and then the Inverter output goes to the TV, Fridge, etc. That is a 15A breaker.

Now there are also two 40A fused on the Converter itself that are reverse polarity protection. If the house battery cables got reversed by accident, those fuses will blow and need to be replaced to get the Converter functioning again.
Old 11-01-2021, 01:54 PM   #3

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Please take a picture (and post it) of the funny breakers under the bed for us to see also.
Old 11-01-2021, 02:04 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
Please take a picture (and post it) of the funny breakers under the bed for us to see also.
That's what I was thinking as well.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 09:09 PM   #5

THOR #22744
When I start the truck, it charges. When I start the generator, the relay on the switcher engages and we are charging.

I just installed a new switcher and same results. Shore power relay does not engage the converter.

The funny breakers were actually the relays on the switcher.
Old 11-01-2021, 09:12 PM   #6

THOR #22744
I also purchased a surge protector and same results. Surge protector shows the wiring to be correct.
Old 11-01-2021, 09:20 PM   #7

THOR #12751
Ok.... so by switcher we now know you mean Automatic Transfer Switch. The Surge Protector tells you the wiring at the pedestal is ok. I assume you are using a portable surge protector and you didn't install a hard-wired surge protector.

If you replaced the ATS, then we will assume it is ok and the wiring on the input side is correct and tight.

Disclaimer..... If you don't have experience working with AC wiring, you may want to get an electrician or someone experienced with troubleshooting AC wiring and power issues. AC is serious stuff and you could be seriously injured or killed if you don't know what your doing.

It is possible you have a loose or broken wire on the shore power side. You should get out a DVM and check the voltage at the wiring on the input side of the ATS to see of the voltage is making it from the pedestal and surge protector to the ATS. You should see 110V on each leg coming into the ATS (red to white and then black to white.... you will see 220V if you measure the red and black together).

If you don't see voltage at the input of the shore power into the ATS, then you need to check for voltage at the female connector on your shore power cable next. If you have voltage at the female connector of your shore power cable, then check the connector on the coach and wiring up to the ATS.

You should also just check to make sure you have voltage coming your surge protector if all else fails.
Old 11-01-2021, 09:36 PM   #8

THOR #22744
So we just disassembled the power box at the RV park. The on-site electrician did and power, polarity etc is correct.

I borrowed his volt meter and went inside and I have 120 volts coming into the shore power relay. I have the same coming out of the portable inline surge protector obviously.

I just installed the new ATS as mentioned.

I really feel like it’s something silly.

If I manually push the shore power relay in, you hear it energize and the camper gets 110v but the converter never turns on.

I’m really stumped here.
Old 11-01-2021, 09:47 PM   #9

THOR #12751
First..... it is an ATS for a reason.... A is for Automatic. You shouldn't need to manually push the relay on the shore power side. If things are working properly, the shore power relay should engage automatically once the surge protector verifies the power is safe (and assuming the generator is NOT running already).

I assume you checked to make sure you had 120V at each leg and not just one leg. If 120V is only on one leg coming into the ATS, that's a problem.

If you have 120V at each leg, it then means there is something wrong with the voltage sensing circuitry in your "new" ATS.

I have seen where people had a pedestal wired incorrectly with 220V on one leg and it fries the voltage sensing circuit in the ATS. When that happens I have seen the Generator relay engage but the Shore Power relay not engage as it should.... similar to your situation.

You said you purchased a surge protector. It sounds like that happened after the ATS was replaced. If you were plugged into a pedestal that was not wired properly, it could have fried the first ATS. Then if you plugged into it again before the surge protector, you could have damaged the new ATS as well.

Now if the Converter is charging the house batteries when the generator is running, that means the Converter is fine and doing its job when it gets AC power.

Now if only one leg of 120V is getting through the ATS on shore power and it is not the busbar where the Converter breaker is located, that could explain a few things.

Just curious.... when you manually engage the relay on the shore power side, have you actually checked that voltage is getting to the two busbars in your breaker box / power distribution panel? I am going to guess not if the Converter is not coming on.

I'm also going to assume you are not using a dogbone (50A to 30A adapter) and plugging into a 30A pedestal. People have had a bad dogbone before only letting in one leg of 120V.

If you replaced the original ATS because you had an issue with shore power in the coach and now the new ATS has the same problem, it sure sounds like something is taking out the ATS. I'm going to assume the rest of the wiring in the coach is ok if everything is working as it should on generator power.
Old 11-02-2021, 03:03 AM   #10

THOR #22744
By pedestal do you mean the power at the RV park?
Old 11-02-2021, 03:20 AM   #11

THOR #16471
Pedestal = shore power supply... yes, power from the park
You said "I borrowed his volt meter and went inside and I have 120 volts coming into the shore power relay" but what was asked is do you have "two" legs of 120V?
Here is what the ATS should be similarly wired as. Hot 1 and Hot 2 should EACH have 120V to the neutral. (or 240V measuring blk to red)

Old 11-02-2021, 03:41 AM   #12
Site Team

THOR #7035
So to recap:

The OP doesn't have a charging problem - he has a NO SHOREPOWER problem?
Old 11-02-2021, 03:43 AM   #13

THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
So to recap:

The OP doesn't have a charging problem - he has a NO SHOREPOWER problem?
I am getting that the generator will allow charging, the shore power does not.... post #5
Old 11-02-2021, 01:15 PM   #14

THOR #22744
It seems my batteries are toast. Any recommendations on what kind of batteries to get?

Also, I have a mobile RV technician going to be here at 9am to hopefully fix this thing.
Old 11-02-2021, 01:16 PM   #15

THOR #22744
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
I am getting that the generator will allow charging, the shore power does not.... post #5
Correct. Shore power is not charging
Old 11-02-2021, 01:28 PM   #16

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocotillo Boy View Post
It seems my batteries are toast. Any recommendations on what kind of batteries to get?

Also, I have a mobile RV technician going to be here at 9am to hopefully fix this thing.
AGM are more expensive than wet lead acid but maintenance free...... or you can spend big bucks on a Lithium upgrade. But you need to figure out your electrical issues first.
Old 11-02-2021, 01:39 PM   #17

THOR #22744
Agreed. There’s a lifeline dealer just down the street. Do you know if I have 12 volt or 6 volt batteries?

After the dust settles I definitely want to do a lithium conversion.

For now, on a direct replacement, what do you recommend?

I really appreciate all your help thus far!
Old 11-02-2021, 02:03 PM   #18
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Agreed. There’s a lifeline dealer just down the street. Do you know if I have 12 volt or 6 volt batteries?

Ask your mobile RV tech. He can see your batteries, we can't.
Old 11-02-2021, 02:08 PM   #19

THOR #12751
Quote:

The Omni / Magnitudes have been coming stock with two 6V Wet Deep Cycle batteries.

If you want a decent wet battery, this will work well till you do your Lithium Conversion. I used these in my Magnitude before going to LiFePO4.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...cle/6/sligc115
Old 11-03-2021, 04:16 AM   #20

THOR #22744
Update: Fixed! The neutral lead came off the back of the plug on the side of the coach. Everything works as it should!

Thank you all very much for your help!