Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2021, 04:15 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Kentucky
THOR #17427
Charge coach battery

We have a 2017 class c four winds 21 ft rv. I am charging the house battery using the generator. I know the house battery will charge while driving but we are only going a short distance. Is there another way to charge the house battery besides running the generator. I tried plugging into 20 amp shore power but not very fast. If the generator is the only way, how long should I run the generator?

Old 10-07-2021, 05:03 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubby View Post
We have a 2017 class c four winds 21 ft rv. I am charging the house battery using the generator. I know the house battery will charge while driving but we are only going a short distance. Is there another way to charge the house battery besides running the generator. I tried plugging into 20 amp shore power but not very fast. If the generator is the only way, how long should I run the generator?
The charger in the Power Center charges the house battery(s). The charger uses 120 volts AC and converts to 12 volts DC to run the 12 volt equipment and to charge the house battery The charger can get its 120 volts from the generator or shore power; it doesn't matter which.

As to how long to charge, it depends on how much amperage the converter puts into the system. The following is for lead acid flooded batteries only. Usually the max is about 50 amps, but that is only available it the house battery is seriously discharged. In a three stage charger the first stage is bulk charging and the charger pumps as much current as it can into the battery. A 50 amp charger will bring a 100 a-hr lead acid battery from 50% charge to 80% charge in about 40 minutes. At 80% charge, the converter will switch to absorb mode and to continue charging. If it were to continue in bulk mode, it would boil the water out of the battery. The absorb mode is a slow, constant voltage stage where the excessive hydrogen ions are reabsorbed into the plates. This can take from 3 to 5 hours depending on the batteries construction. Deep cycle batteries take much longer than dual purpose or starting batteries. Almost any house battery bank can be recharged for 50% discharge to 100% charge in 6 hours assuming the charger is properly sized to the house battery bank.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 05:12 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
As Beau notes above, shorepower charges the same as generator power. Both produce AC which powers the coach's converter which can charge the batteries.

With my two 100 amp hour batteries down about 20% the converter will charge at about 20 amps. This slowly drops as the battery gets closer to full.

It is almost impossible to know your batteries state of charge (SOC) without letting it sit for a couple of hours with no charging or current draw. Even then the voltage is only an approximate indication, good to maybe +/- 20%.

If you really want to know what your real SOC is, install a shunt based battery monitor. All dry campers should have one installed. It's not a difficult DIY job.

David
Old 10-07-2021, 05:29 PM   #4

THOR #17427
Thank you Beau and DavidEm. My indicator says 2/3 so I guess I have a ways to go. I shut down the generator and tried to turn on a light and nothing. I would think a light would come on? I'm guessing I need more juice in my house battery. Am I right?
My old camper was simpler lol.
Old 10-07-2021, 05:44 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
How does one get a shunt based battery monitor
And youtube dyi?
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 05:56 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Thank you Beau and DavidEm. My indicator says 2/3 so I guess I have a ways to go. I shut down the generator and tried to turn on a light and nothing. I would think a light would come on? I'm guessing I need more juice in my house battery. Am I right?
My old camper was simpler lol.
If your 4 light battery status indicator only reads 2/3 WHILE CHARGING then you are not charging. That indicator is a very simple voltmeter and only accurately displays the battery status when no charging is occurring.

Also, the USE/STORE (battery disconnect) has to be in use (ON/Not disconnected) for charging from the converter to occur. Charging from the alternator on the engine occurs regardless of the disconnect position.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 07:43 PM   #7

THOR #17427
Found the problem. DEAD BATTERY.
Replaced and all is well in our world. Thank you all for you kindness and knowledge sharing. I learned a few new things.
Old 10-11-2021, 12:24 PM   #8

THOR #17427
Im learning. How do I find the amp hours on my battery? This is all new to me. Thank you.
Old 10-11-2021, 12:57 PM   #9

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Im learning. How do I find the amp hours on my battery? This is all new to me. Thank you.
When you replaced the battery, HOW did you decide what you needed?

Just like with tires (or flavor of ice cream), you surely didn't simply grab the one within closest reach?? A single battery is usually an outlay of over $100 cash... you should research and know, to the best of your knowledge, what you are buying.

Deep cycle lead acid batteries have their "amp hour rating" listed at point of purchase. However, a "starter battery" - like in your car and your motorhome chassis battery - have a "cold cranking amps" rating... NOT what you want for house batteries.

Lithium batteries are another animal altogether.
Old 10-11-2021, 01:12 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
For deep cycle lead acid batteries, the amount of lead is a good indicator. 60 pounds is usually a 100 amp-hour 12 volt battery or 200 amp hour 6 volt battery.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote