Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2020, 03:19 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Compass TW
State: Wisconsin
THOR #21076
2021 Compass TW-miles per gallon

Hi all. I just ordered a 2021 Compass TW. Gas 3.5 turbo V6 4wd. Does anyone happen to know mpg? Also does it come standard with an inverter? Is there more than 1 house battery? Thanks.

Old 10-30-2020, 09:21 AM   #2

Model: 22FE
State: New York
THOR #5330
I would think all your questions should be answered from where you made the purchase. Pretty simple actually.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:06 AM   #3

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase!

I can be a little more helpful.

I have attached the brochure for your that I pulled down from Thor's website. According to the brochure, there is only a single house battery. There is no Inverter listed but it does come with a 100W solar panel and solar controller.

Can't help with fuel economy but with gas so cheap right now, don't worry too much about it and get out and enjoy it!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2021-oh-compass-web.pdf (1.08 MB, 288 views)
Old 10-30-2020, 12:18 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Agree with Judge on gas being cheap, but for me MPG would be important because it also affects driving range. The standard Transit gas tank is only 25 gallons, which is what Thor lists in specifications.

The joke about EcoBoost technology has been that it’s Eco or Boost, not both at same time. That should be expected though. You’ll get V6 economy when driven conservatively, and V8 power and corresponding fuel economy when heavy on gas pedal.

Transit EcoBoost motorhomes haven’t been out very long yet, so you will probably not find a lot of fuel economy data. However, I think MPG should be very similar to equal-size Transit motorhomes with standard V6 gas engine. Those have been around for a few years.

When I looked into them previously, reports typically ranged from 12~14 MPG depending on driving speed; assuming no towing.

At about 12 MPG it would give a driving range to empty of 300 miles, which is on low side for most motorhomes, but still provides over 3 hours at interstate highway speeds.

P.S. — Please report back with your own MPG when available. I’m certain there will be much interest.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:35 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
They've got your questions covered... Welcome to our little madhouse!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 04:38 PM   #6

THOR #21076
Thanks for the info Judge. One cannot always rely on the info being correct on the brochure. The brochure I received from the dealer states the exterior height of 12’2”, the interior height of 10’8” and an overall width of 99” w/o mirrors. We all know these stats are incorrect. I started to wonder what else was wrong. On the link for the brochure you sent they corrected those stats. Thanks again.
Old 10-30-2020, 05:10 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
When you get it: you'll need to let us know what your "seat of the pants" dynamometer thinks of the engine...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 01:34 AM   #8

THOR #21076
I sure will Bob. First time I ordered a vehicle without driving it. Unfortunately the RV market is so hot I couldn’t find one close enough to test drive. The one I checked out was already sold. All of the new drivability options on the new Transit chassis are nice to have. I trust Ford not to let me down. Hopefully Thor won’t either.
Old 11-11-2020, 09:55 PM   #9

State: Ontario
THOR #19955
Have 21 tw - drives good - about 13/14 mph- build quality not the best but hopefully will get all fixed under warranty
Old 11-12-2020, 12:58 AM   #10

THOR #21076
Thanks for the mpg info. Could you please tell what type of build issues you are having? Also, how usable is the coach with the slide in?
Old 11-12-2020, 01:55 PM   #11

State: Ontario
THOR #19955
Coach very usable with slide in- dinette and bathroom accessible- overall like coach and floor plan great- headliner in cab needs fixed - also joint between cab and back part crooked and nav system not work- have put away for winter - have appointment in May to get fixed
Old 03-02-2021, 05:48 PM   #12

Model: Gemini
State: Oregon
THOR #21423
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
Hi all. I just ordered a 2021 Compass TW. Gas 3.5 turbo V6 4wd. Does anyone happen to know mpg? Also does it come standard with an inverter? Is there more than 1 house battery? Thanks.
I got my 2021TW about 6 months ago. We are getting about 13Mpg on the 4k miles we have driven. There is an inverter for the couch lights and DC power connectors but none for the 120v plugs so I added 600w inverter and a few plugs. Mine came with a single house battery that was junk and has been replaced already.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:36 PM   #13

THOR #21076
Thanks for the mpg info. We just picked up our 2021 Compass TW on 2/26/21.We were told by our dealer that the TVS were 12 volt. They are not. They only work on shore power or generator. I would also like to install an inverter. I believe the TVs are on the same circuit as the outlets. Where did you locate your inverter. Did you tie into the existing TV/outlet circuit? If so could you please explain the wiring process connecting the inverter to that circuit.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:28 PM   #14

THOR #21423
Quote:
Thanks for the mpg info. We just picked up our 2021 Compass TW on 2/26/21.We were told by our dealer that the TVS were 12 volt. They are not. They only work on shore power or generator. I would also like to install an inverter. I believe the TVs are on the same circuit as the outlets. Where did you locate your inverter. Did you tie into the existing TV/outlet circuit? If so could you please explain the wiring process connecting the inverter to that circuit.
I did not tie my inverted into the rigs 120V system. i just need it to run my two monitors and laptop so I just put the inverter under the kitchen cabinet and wired in another plug.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:02 AM   #15

State: Missouri
THOR #17688
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX247 View Post
I got my 2021TW about 6 months ago. We are getting about 13Mpg on the 4k miles we have driven. There is an inverter for the couch lights and DC power connectors but none for the 120v plugs so I added 600w inverter and a few plugs. Mine came with a single house battery that was junk and has been replaced already.
PDX, I think you mean the couch lights and DC connectors are powered by the battery or the converter when plugged in or on the generator. As you and others pointed out, there is no inverter offered with the rig.

Which inverter did you get? I am looking at them also.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:46 AM   #16

THOR #21423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetreak View Post
PDX, I think you mean the couch lights and DC connectors are powered by the battery or the converter when plugged in or on the generator. As you and others pointed out, there is no inverter offered with the rig.

Which inverter did you get? I am looking at them also.

Ah yes sorry....no inverter. I got the one below. I used this brand before (a much bigger one) in my last RV and it worked great. Also really like the remote on/off switch.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 03-07-2021, 03:26 AM   #17

State: Missouri
THOR #17688
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX247 View Post
Ah yes sorry....no inverter. I got the one below. I used this brand before (a much bigger one) in my last RV and it worked great. Also really like the remote on/off switch.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the link. I am thinking a bit too much about inverters, but:

1) Go small to start, use a 200-300 W inverter, run the TV, DVD player, and the HDMI splitter, About 86 watts
-OR-
2) Use a re-purposed true sine UPS hacked to permit connecting to the house batteries for extended use (has a transfer switch all it's own...)
3) when either the above is not enough (making electric coffee or using the microwave or hairdryer) move to a 2kW inverter and either 2, 6-volt golf cart batteries or build a big lithium pack to run it all...

And, BTW, keeping with the original thread, our Diesel 2020 Gemini 23TW is averaging 15.1 MPG driving around Missouri....
Old 05-09-2021, 11:05 PM   #18

Model: Compass 23TW
State: California
THOR #21492
Quote:
Hi. I picked up 2021 compass 23tw April 20, 2021 on a snowy day. Drove it 3200 miles over 13 days back to California. Averaged 14.2 mpg. Drove it about 55 everywhere. Had good headwinds most of the drive east. Good being 20-35 mph. No wind and flat driving slowly got 17.5 mpg. Best tank. Was often topping off since off season and few travelers out. I also ran generator about 20 hours and it is supposed to suck .5 gallons per hour running. Engine idles at .3 gph. When parked, the transit mpg display changes to read gph.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:34 PM   #19

State: California
THOR #23360
Quote:
We are averaging about 12.5mpg on our Gemini 23tw, on the road at 65mph
Old 03-06-2022, 08:46 AM   #20

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Mileage with towing

So does anyone have any numbers for mileage if you are towing a vehicle? TIA
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote