Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2020, 07:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Sequence 20L
State: Washington
THOR #21536
2021 Sequence 20L questions - Sewer Hose storage and water filter

Just got my first RV and have some questions.

The sewer hose storage area is simply not big enough to hold a standard (or any) size hose. How the Thor engineers screwed this up I have NO IDEA. The flanges on either end of a standard hose is simply too large to fit into the tube. Ridiculous. I'm open to ideas, but storing a sewer hose inside the camper is NOT an option.

The van came with a new water filter (a white cylinder shaped filter about 14" long). I have NO idea where it goes and none of the documentation shows where it goes either. Anyone know?

I have more questions - but will post them separately.

Thanks!
James

Old 12-15-2020, 08:32 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Hi James

I don't have your model but I do have a MB Chassis model. I bought a sewer hose holder from Camping World and bought a couple of extra large metal hose clamps(worm clamps) and just secured it to the underside of the rear of the chassis where I can access it. I can now store my full sized sewer hose with no issue. I also carry a small 5 foot sewer hose that I store inside a plastic tub with a lid and keep it inside one of my outside compartments. I use the smaller hose more than the large full size sewer hose.

Paul
Old 12-15-2020, 09:06 PM   #3

THOR #21536
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
Hi James

I don't have your model but I do have a MB Chassis model. I bought a sewer hose holder from Camping World and bought a couple of extra large metal hose clamps(worm clamps) and just secured it to the underside of the rear of the chassis where I can access it. I can now store my full sized sewer hose with no issue. I also carry a small 5 foot sewer hose that I store inside a plastic tub with a lid and keep it inside one of my outside compartments. I use the smaller hose more than the large full size sewer hose.

Paul
Thanks Paul. Unfortunately the smaller Class B vans have zero outside storage which is why it was so important Thor get the dimensions correct for the sewer hose storage area.
Old 12-29-2020, 02:48 AM   #4

THOR #21536
BUMP for anyone with a Sequence who solved this.
Old 12-29-2020, 01:15 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Perhaps if you bought a Slinky that had removeable fittings?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 02:14 PM   #6

Model: 24TF Compass / Mercedes
THOR #17969
Slinky storage

Since storage of long items also is a problem for contractors with similar work vans, perhaps you can mount roof rack storage on the unit and store the slinky in a PVC tube with threaded end caps? Not optimal having to pull it down from overhead, but if you simply cannot hang anything similar under the chassis then everything becomes an option.
Old 12-29-2020, 03:36 PM   #7

THOR #21536
Thanks all - I think the solution I may end up with is to mount the tube on the rear bumper. Painted black it will not look awful and will be easily accessible. Not perfect but beats storing a smelly sewer hose inside the RV or having to remove and attach the couplers to the ends of a cheap hose that would be really gross, most likely leak and just be 10x as awful.

I'm just dismayed that Thor built it wrong, let it escape all the quality controls, and hasn't bothered to come up with a solution that all owners can implement. It's a "shrug" and "not our problem - figure it out on your own" type attitude that rubs me the wrong way.
Old 12-29-2020, 05:21 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I had the same issue with my 2018 Outlaw. That compartment worked great for carrying flyrods...
But little else!
Old 12-29-2020, 06:46 PM   #9

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by james3342 View Post
Thanks all - I think the solution I may end up with is to mount the tube on the rear bumper. Painted black it will not look awful and will be easily accessible. Not perfect but beats storing a smelly sewer hose inside the RV or having to remove and attach the couplers to the ends of a cheap hose that would be really gross, most likely leak and just be 10x as awful.

I'm just dismayed that Thor built it wrong, let it escape all the quality controls, and hasn't bothered to come up with a solution that all owners can implement. It's a "shrug" and "not our problem - figure it out on your own" type attitude that rubs me the wrong way.
I'd guess they built that storage for the cheapo hose they typically give you with the rv purchase, that one is usually about 10-15' that collapsed is only about 3'.
If you've upgraded to the Rhino hose or something similar they don't collapse much & usually the ends won't fit in the bumper storage on other RVs.
Not to mention that motorhome (more van than motorhome) appears to be lacking storage for about anything/everything except a couple small adults! Looks like if there's 2 inside 1 will need to go outside for the other to change their mind.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 06:49 PM   #10

THOR #21536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
I'd guess they built that storage for the cheapo hose they typically give you with the rv purchase, that one is usually about 10-15' that collapsed is only about 3'.
If you've upgraded to the Rhino hose or something similar they don't collapse much & usually the ends won't fit in the bumper storage on other RVs.
It's not the length - the storage tube is 4 inches in diameter. The fittings won't fit inside. None will.
Old 12-29-2020, 06:54 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
You almost need a 5" tube...
Old 12-29-2020, 06:59 PM   #12

THOR #21536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
You almost need a 5" tube...
You are correct. You'd think Thor's engineers never designed an RV before........
Old 12-29-2020, 07:52 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I wondered if any of them had ever seen a stinky slinky before...
Old 12-30-2020, 11:22 PM   #14

State: Texas
THOR #21170
My Sewer Hose Fix I

I only use the connector on one end of the hose, the one that attaches to the outlet on my Sequence 20LT. I keep the other 90 degree fitting, for the dump hole, in a thick plastic ( of some type) bag; which I have yet to use. I shortened the hos, bit by bit, until it all fit into the tube on the van. I also installed a web strap to make sure it stays in place in case the outer door comes open ( we don't want to lose our 'slinky" jumping across the road). I made the strap from a nylon belt and two punch on female snaps. The male corresponding fittings are threaded into the hose door housing. This keeps it all in place.
I have had no issues with the length of this hose. We have only camped in state parks since taking delivery of the van in August. I think, counting this past week's trip, that is about 35 or 36 nights use.
Old 12-30-2020, 11:39 PM   #15

State: Texas
THOR #21170
I have a Sequence 20L. this layout has the bathroom at the back of the van and a storage area accessible with the back door open. I unscrew my water filter from the water hose. I retained the two caps that came with it.. I drain it, briefly, then put the caps on. I store it back in the cubby hole where the spray hose stores. I also can get the incoming water hose in there and a spare water hose, a bag with sewer dump connector and a extension cord. The power hose can fit but I usually leave it in the shower tub in a canvas bag while underway.
Old 12-31-2020, 12:31 AM   #16

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:

The sewer hose storage area is simply not big enough to hold a standard (or any) size hose. How the Thor engineers screwed this up I have NO IDEA. The flanges on either end of a standard hose is simply too large to fit into the tube. Ridiculous. I'm open to ideas, but storing a sewer hose inside the camper is NOT an option.

The van came with a new water filter (a white cylinder shaped filter about 14" long). I have NO idea where it goes and none of the documentation shows where it goes either. Anyone know?

Thanks!
James
Don’t know about sewer storage problem. But do you have a separate drinking water valve on sink. My old 5th wheel had that and a removable filter that fit inline under the sink. Had to remove it every winter as it freezes expansion. As for sewer storage, I bought a Valterra storage tube with caps on both ends and used hd zip ties to attach it to the bumper.
Old 12-31-2020, 01:11 AM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I put one of those Valterra sewer hose caddies under the hitch frame on my Outlaw.
Old 01-05-2021, 07:33 PM   #18

Model: Dynamax REV 24 RB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #3069
The hose storage area may be a "legacy" compartment designed for hoses without bayonet fittings. Look for Prest-O-Fit or similar hoses. You may need a fitting to attach that kind of hose. I haven't seen a Sequence dump pipe.

This type was more common years ago.

My RV has a compartment for one of these hoses but the dump pipe is fitted with a bayonet.
Quote:

Thanks!
James
Old 01-05-2021, 08:00 PM   #19

Model: Hurricane 32a
THOR #18907
I previously had a Class C with the bumper hose storage and the female end hose fittings I had were sanded or ground down on opposite sides to barely fit inside the bumper, but not slide past the entry. It would only fit in one way, but it did. The male end to go into the drain was also buffed slightly on opposite sides to fit easily. Another option.
Old 01-06-2021, 04:09 PM   #20

THOR #21536
Thanks all - I had a Valterra sewer hose caddy installed on the rear bumper and it works fine. Looks OK as it's black and it's not in the way.