Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2022, 12:17 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
THOR #26024
2022 Compass 23TW Slide

We took possession of our 2022 Compass 23TW in early February and took it 5 miles to an rv park, and "stored" it there where we stay in our 5th wheel. A week or so later I plugged it in and the refer didn't work, but that's another story. We ice-chested it and went 100+ miles for Presidents Day for 3 or 4 nights. The slide worked just fine. Took it back and stored it for a few weeks and drove it approximately 300 miles and the slide went out. However, the next morning when preparing to return and retracting the slide, it came partially in. I turned the key off and on and it again came in partially and stopped. Key off and on again and it finally fully retracted. At first, we thought it was an electrical problem. After 5 to 6 calls to Thor, we finally deduced that the motors were stopping because they were "amping out".
After much screwing around, we noticed that the rear part of the dinette was tight to the floor while the front was about an inch clear. So I went out and found the rear portion of the dinette portion of the slide hole was 1/4 to 5/16 inch lower than the front. With the slide closed, the exterior trim molding at the rear, now including the whole slide was 5/8 lower at the rear. These measurements were to a small "seam" where I think the sidewall joins the floor. Als there are metal flakes at least at the rear motor. I suspect that this out of square situation is putting too much of a load on the rear motor, causing it to amp out. Has anyone else had a slide issue. And by the way, how in the world, in a factory situation can this happen?
I am on a plane and hope to be updated this afternoon, Pacific time.

Old 05-09-2022, 08:51 PM   #2

Model: Gemini
State: Oregon
THOR #21423
Gemini slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Skeers View Post
We took possession of our 2022 Compass 23TW in early February and took it 5 miles to an rv park, and "stored" it there where we stay in our 5th wheel. A week or so later I plugged it in and the refer didn't work, but that's another story. We ice-chested it and went 100+ miles for Presidents Day for 3 or 4 nights. The slide worked just fine. Took it back and stored it for a few weeks and drove it approximately 300 miles and the slide went out. However, the next morning when preparing to return and retracting the slide, it came partially in. I turned the key off and on and it again came in partially and stopped. Key off and on again and it finally fully retracted. At first, we thought it was an electrical problem. After 5 to 6 calls to Thor, we finally deduced that the motors were stopping because they were "amping out".
After much screwing around, we noticed that the rear part of the dinette was tight to the floor while the front was about an inch clear. So I went out and found the rear portion of the dinette portion of the slide hole was 1/4 to 5/16 inch lower than the front. With the slide closed, the exterior trim molding at the rear, now including the whole slide was 5/8 lower at the rear. These measurements were to a small "seam" where I think the sidewall joins the floor. Als there are metal flakes at least at the rear motor. I suspect that this out of square situation is putting too much of a load on the rear motor, causing it to amp out. Has anyone else had a slide issue. And by the way, how in the world, in a factory situation can this happen?
I am on a plane and hope to be updated this afternoon, Pacific time.
Ours broke twice. The first time after a month and the last time it lasted a year. The first time we had the whole thing replaced with the warranty the second time I removed the walls and preeminently bolted the slide in. I replace everything on the slide side with two twin beds end to end and love it now. We can pull over and have access to the whole rig and don't have to stress the whole trip about the slide breaking.
Old 05-26-2022, 01:56 AM   #3

Model: gemini 24 tf
State: Labrador
THOR #12855
[QUOTE=PDX247;345499]Ours broke twice. The first time after a month and the last time it lasted a year. The first time we had the whole thing replaced with the warranty the second time I removed the walls and preeminently bolted the slide in. I replace everything on the slide side with two twin beds end to end and love it now. We can pull over and have access to the whole rig and don't have to stress the whole trip about the slide breaking.[/It would be interesting to see interior/exterior photos. it's still a big change
Old 05-26-2022, 01:56 AM   #4

Model: gemini 24 tf
State: Labrador
THOR #12855
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX247 View Post
Ours broke twice. The first time after a month and the last time it lasted a year. The first time we had the whole thing replaced with the warranty the second time I removed the walls and preeminently bolted the slide in. I replace everything on the slide side with two twin beds end to end and love it now. We can pull over and have access to the whole rig and don't have to stress the whole trip about the slide breaking.
It would be interesting to see interior/exterior photos. it's still a big change
Old 05-31-2022, 04:55 PM   #5

Model: Gemini
State: Oregon
THOR #21423
Slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvain View Post
It would be interesting to see interior/exterior photos. it's still a big change
Here are some pics. Ended up adding lithium, more solar and big inverter while I was in there. It was a lot of work but worth it for us. There were no changes to the outside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	37785