Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2023, 11:23 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tellaro 20L
State: Arizona
THOR #15205
2022 Tellaro 20L chassis battery point

For those who may be interested:

I called Thor a while back and asked if when plugged in to shore power, does the chassis battery (engine) receive any kind of float type charge? I was told it DOES receive a trickle charge as part of the overall charging. Thor gal didn't sound too knowledgeable and "had to look it up"....but I thought OK.

It does not. My unit threw a check engine code. I was not driving it all the way to the RAM dealer to find out what it was, so I bought a $25 code reader from Amazon and found the code to be a "low voltage" code. This happens when the system detects an overall drop in voltage that can impact other systems. One of the main reasons for this code is a low battery voltage. The threshold his high, so your battery doesn't have to be dead to get the code. **** I fully realize there could be other reasons ******

But I charged up my battery, cleared the code and it's been fantastic since.

I recommend
MOTOPOWER MP69033 Car OBD2 Scanner from Amazon $25
NOCO GENIUS10 battery charger from Amazon $99

Info might help someone else.

Old 03-08-2023, 02:46 PM   #2

State: North Carolina
THOR #26907
Good Information.
It is possible your chassis battery that is located under your feet in the drivers position is a little weak. I have purchased new vehicles in the past that had weak batteries possibly because the vehicle was not driven frequently before it was sold. It may not be a bad idea to have it tested at an auto supply company, (Advance Auto etc) who will do that for free.

I also recommend one of these from Amazon for $29 that is simple to install and has a bluetooth connection for your phone so that you can check it yourself whenever you want .:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If that link doesn't work it is a Battery Monitor BM2 BM3 and was still available a few minutes ago. I make nothing for this but purchased one some time ago and it works as advertised. It also allows for a cranking test and should alert you of any problems hopefully before your check engine light comes on.

It is correct that the chassis battery does not receive any charge at all when connected to shore power. If your van sits quite a bit without being driven, it is not a bad idea to add a "battery tender" or similar to keep the chassis battery charged or just make sure you start it once every couple of weeks or so.

Ram also added a "quick disconnect" on the chassis negative battery cable to make it easily to disconnect the battery completely during long periods of storage.
Old 03-22-2023, 08:53 PM   #3

Model: Sequence 20L
State: Illinois
THOR #28919
My dash doesnít show low battery but my bm pro shows 11.9v chassis battery warning every time I turn on. 14.4 when running. I paid for the app and it gives a maintenance warning but is not specific so I think itís low battery. Iím guessing the van was sitting for a while before purchased and Iím stuck with a weak battery? Never have a problem starting!
Old 05-27-2023, 05:14 AM   #4

Model: Tellaro KT
State: Washington
THOR #24549
Hello - I have a 2021 Tellaro with AGM batteries. Iíve been having trouble with my coach batteries not charging while driving. They still charge fine via solar, generator, and shore power. With the engine on, the BMPro shows 14.4v to the chassis battery but only 12.5v to 13.5v to the coach batteries. So basically whatever the solar panels are providing. Up until recently, with the engine running, I would see 14.4v on both the chassis battery and coach batteries. I can drive all night and not get fully charged coach batteries. I was told via a different post this may be due to a faulty BIM (battery integration module). So I called Thor today and was told that the engine alternator does not provide a charge to the coach batteries. I really donít think this is true? Thoughts?

AndÖany idea where this BIM might be? Iím thinking may be some loose wires to it, if I can find itÖ

Thanks
Old 05-27-2023, 01:29 PM   #5

State: North Carolina
THOR #26907
Since you have a 2021 (AGM) without the second alternator and lithium would think the only way to charge the coach batteries are when plugged into shore power or with the generator if you have one. Solar should also charge the house batteries but keep in mind this is no more than a "trickle" charger.
The systems that charges the house batteries from the engine have a second alternator and lithium batteries (2022 and newer).

I have found that Thor is not always good about providing "correct" information.
I have personally spoken with them at two different times about the same issue on at least one occasion and gotten completely opposite responses.

It is possible you have a "BIM" or "BIRD" on that generation of Van but also possible that Thor did not install those especially if you have a generator. Mine has a generator and also does NOT have a way to charge the batteries from the engine while it is running.
I am able to work around that without staying "plugged in" by keeping the inverter and refrigerator off however which allows the solar to keep up with any parasitic house battery battery drain pretty well.
Old 05-27-2023, 02:33 PM   #6

THOR #24549
Thanks for the info. All this definitely has me scratching my head. Iím pretty sure I do have a BIM as up until a month or so ago I was seeing 14.4v on both coach and chassis batteries with the engine running. As soon as the engine was off the coach battery would immediately drop to 13.5 or so. Looking at the schematic for mine (see attached) I do see a BIM noted just to the right of the chassis battery. I just canít find it thus itís quite possible you are correct and I donít have one and the 14.4v I was seeing was actually incorrect. All very confusing!
Old 05-27-2023, 03:53 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Thanks for the info. All this definitely has me scratching my head. Iím pretty sure I do have a BIM as up until a month or so ago I was seeing 14.4v on both coach and chassis batteries with the engine running. As soon as the engine was off the coach battery would immediately drop to 13.5 or so. Looking at the schematic for mine (see attached) I do see a BIM noted just to the right of the chassis battery. I just canít find it thus itís quite possible you are correct and I donít have one and the 14.4v I was seeing was actually incorrect. All very confusing!
Or you don't have a BIM as the non-LiBIM were getting scarce then and Thor went back to BIRD/IRD and Trombetta relay.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 04:01 PM   #8

THOR #24549
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Or you don't have a BIM as the non-LiBIM were getting scarce then and Thor went back to BIRD/IRD and Trombetta relay.
Yeah, that could be, any idea where the BIRD might be? I really suspect Iíve got a loose connection as the charge from the alternator works 10% of the times the engine is on. More not, but definitely could be called intermittent
Old 06-19-2023, 02:36 PM   #9

State: Wisconsin
THOR #27874
I think I've solved this issue by replacing the solar charge controller with this one.

https://gopowersolar.com/products/30...ar-controller/

It has 2 battery charge outputs, both can be independently configured (one for lithium, the other for the chassis battery).

As long as there is sun, both the lithium and the chassis stay charged.

Ron
2023 Thor Tellaro 20L 200Amp Reliable -no generator
RonRM is online now   Reply With Quote