Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2022, 12:59 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tellaro KT
State: Washington
THOR #24549
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertj1961 View Post
From what you described it sounds like it could be fuel starvation problem…
My thoughts also, they way it sputters when shutting down sounds like it’s running out of fuel. I now suspect either the fuel filter, fuel pump or maybe a fuel injection issue. I tried the external start switch and got the same result. Was going to try and remove the fuel filter but supper awkward working underneath and not so sure I could actually get it back on correctly. Not excited about dealing with short staffed repair shops. Called Thor and they said to put it on a lift first…that was super helpful
I had somebody tell me the fuel line is inside the main fuel tank and is mounted so that when the fuel level drops below 1/4 tank the generator will run dry and shut down. They speculated that the in-tank generator fuel line mount may have come loose so the line is now floating at the top of the tank, hence no fuel to the generator. Don’t want to think about how you fix that.

Old 06-23-2022, 01:03 AM   #22

Model: Tellaro 20L
State: North Carolina
THOR #26907
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
My thoughts also, they way it sputters when shutting down sounds like it’s running out of fuel. I now suspect either the fuel filter, fuel pump or maybe a fuel injection issue. I tried the external start switch and got the same result. Was going to try and remove the fuel filter but supper awkward working underneath and not so sure I could actually get it back on correctly. Not excited about dealing with short staffed repair shops. Called Thor and they said to put it on a lift first…that was super helpful
I had somebody tell me the fuel line is inside the main fuel tank and is mounted so that when the fuel level drops below 1/4 tank the generator will run dry and shut down. They speculated that the in-tank generator fuel line mount may have come loose so the line is now floating at the top of the tank, hence no fuel to the generator. Don’t want to think about how you fix that.
It sounds like you have exhausted about all you can do and agree would let it be someone else's problem especially since under warranty. Would not want to do too much and have them suggest you caused the problem. I found that you can back on to some inexpensive ramps that makes changing the oil and access much easier. I would check to find a Cummins service center close to you who are the experts on these. Good luck and let us know what the problem is once you find out.
Old 09-11-2022, 06:40 PM   #23

Model: 2022 Tellaro 20L
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #25231
Generator fault

The BM Pro only says fault. I knew that much when the generator unexpectedly shutdown. It's the Cummins Onan 2800 gasoline generator. I will contact my neighborhood Cummins shop and try to get some help. I'm too old to slide under there and try to sort this myself.
I downloaded the manual from either Thor or Cummins.
It would be lovely if I could read the fault codes, but I'll leave that for a younger guy.
Old 09-12-2022, 12:11 AM   #24

Model: Tellaro KT
State: Washington
THOR #24549
In my case it turned out to be a bad fuel pump. Generator only has 20 hours on it and luckily is in warranty. Took it to Cummins and they diagnosed the bad fuel pump. The bummer is that they no longer have the fuel pump in stock, it’s on indefinite back order. They could put a third-party fuel pump in but will void the warranty. I’m currently negotiating with them to either replace the generator or keep my warranty in force with the third-party part. It’s been a nightmare lasting all summer so far.