Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2022, 11:14 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tellaro 20L
State: Arizona
THOR #15205
2022 Tellaro 20L hill climbing

Hi Everyone!

Thank you in advance for your opinions.

Can you tell me how your Tellaro (or similar) does on uphill grades, maybe with a full water tank, but not towing anything. Just my wife and I riding.

Say a 6% uphill grade. I'm not looking for win any races, just to keep up.

Of course the usual nay sayers have come out of the woodwork to criticize our new purchase. So I'm coming the source of real information!

Obviously if they couldn't climb hills they wouldn't be selling.

Thank you!

Old 03-13-2022, 03:34 PM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I don’t have your model or even anything similar so I can’t be of much actual help. But I’ve had several motor homes and none of them could “keep up” on a steep grade. I’ve learned to be happy in the truck lane. Steep grades don’t happen all that often and don’t last for very long when they do.
Old 03-13-2022, 06:20 PM   #3

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg0603 View Post
Hi Everyone!

Can you tell me how your Tellaro (or similar) does on uphill grades, maybe with a full water tank, but not towing anything. Just my wife and I riding.

Of course the usual nay sayers have come out of the woodwork to criticize our new purchase. So I'm coming the source of real information!

Thank you!
I think your max torque comes in between 3,500 to 5,000
Old 03-14-2022, 02:54 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:

......cut.....

Thank you!

Yes, all vehicles can climb, but I think you are referring to how fast and under what driving conditions. And that’s highly subjective. What’s fine for one driver may be intolerable to another, so only you can decide for yourself. I’ll share mostly objective information I’m aware of, and you can disseminate based on your needs.

Some drivers complain how ProMaster climb in the mountains because the combination of a small size (displacement) high-RPM engine and 6-speed transmission with wide gear spacing (by modern standards) often leads to very high engine RPMs. Below are specs for engine and transmission ratios that explain why this happens.

To save fuel, gasoline vehicles (non turbo at least) are geared so engine is loaded down just to maintain highway speed. For example, ProMaster 3.6L DOHC V6 at 2,000 RPM drives at 67 MPH in top gear. However, at 2,000 RPM, that engine can’t even make 100 HP, and most of that is required just to maintain the 67 MPH on a level road. So, when large and heavy van encounters strong headwind or there is a hill, the engine isn’t strong enough to hold 6th gear and transmission must shift down. That’s normal and should be expected, but some drivers are always irritated by downshifts; hence complain the powertrain is flawed and can’t climb.

To be fair, the 6-speed transmission has horrible gear ratios at the top end by modern transmission standards. This means that when shifting down from 6th to 5th, RPMs at 67 MPH will jump from 2,000 to approximately 3,000 RPM, and that’s very noticeable to most drivers.

If climbing a steep grade (like 6%), engine still can’t hold speed so transmission must shift down again. Going to 4th will send RPMs well above 4,000, which while normal and should be expected, scares some drivers. The good news is that engine will be close to its 4,400 RPM peak torque making 218 HP.

Unfortunately, if that’s not enough power to maintain 67 MPH, the transmission can not shift down another gear to 3rd until van slows down considerably because it would otherwise send engine RPM sky high and over its redline. The bright side is that 218 HP at 4,400 RPM is considerable for a motorhome that only weighs around 9,000 pounds.

We must be aware that advertised engine power and torque ratings are near sea level, and if crossing the Rockies at 10,000 feet, they could be derated by +/- 35%, so in Colorado on I-70 at Eisenhower Tunnel, I would expect a ProMaster camper van will not keep up with cars. But so what? It’s only a few miles long and driver may lose a minute or two at most. I couldn't care less if climbing in right lane at 45~50 MPH which is still way faster than all trucks and practically all trailers.

My 2 cents on realistic expectations for a house on wheels. It’s not a car and doesn’t have to climb like one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6786B635-8076-4342-B339-62E0490D6FE4.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	36457   Click image for larger version

Name:	F54FB8CA-94B4-428A-8325-C9F8BFBD9D3D.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	36458  

Old 03-14-2022, 03:10 PM   #5

THOR #15205
Thanks

Thank you all for the replies and very useful information.

Frankly, I'd much rather have the overall gas mileage than the hill climbing ability.

I must take a moment to say that I had a Jayco 34RSBS, 37 foot TT with an 80 gallon water tank. The RAM 2500 Diesel we used to have would pull that thing, fully loaded water and all....up a 6% grade like it was nothing. SO I was spoiled before, but it's all good now.

I agree with Chance.
Old 03-14-2022, 04:58 PM   #6

THOR #2121
By the way, I assumed your van has or will have the 6-speed transmission that has been used on all gasoline ProMaster vans through model year 2021.

The current Model Year 2022 ProMaster was upgraded to a 9-speed that has much closely-spaced gears at top end, but so far I haven’t seen a single review which leads me to believe not many 2021 MY van chassis, if any, have actually hit the roads yet. I’m looking forward to hear how well the 9-speed performs because on paper it should drive much smoother. Upper ratios are approximately twice as tight (less than 25% instead of almost 50%), which “should” be a significant improvement, but could end up being too busy. Time will tell.
Old 03-14-2022, 05:31 PM   #7

THOR #15205
9 speed

One of the reasons we bought now was that all these things seem to be coming that are going to jack the prices through the roof.
Old 03-14-2022, 06:09 PM   #8

THOR #20274
Quote:
Hi Everyone!

Thank you!
Look up oldsheepdog he took one through the mountains, do a search and ask him how it was he said something about 17+ miles to the gallon
Old 03-14-2022, 09:09 PM   #9

State: Alabama
THOR #22773
I drove my 2021 Tellaro over 13000 miles last year from one side of the country to the other. I traveled in high crosswinds, up steep grades, and in both cold and warm weather.

My experience is that the Ram is ok at 65-70 mph on flat roads, will climb hills just fine but will downshift as needed and is horrible in headwinds or crosswinds. In headwinds or slight uphill grades the Ram will constantly shift up and down, in crosswinds it gets scary as the crosswind correction system is just snake oil.

The new Ram platform had a 9 speed transmission, that should help with hills and headwinds.

The Ram is capable of speeds unto 80mph on flat road or downhills but can only hold those speeds with constant up and down shifting and can get 18-20MPG on flat roads at 65mph. I enjoyed my time with the Tellaro but the nail in the coffin was constantly inputing into the steering wheel at higher speeds and no lumbar support.
Old 03-14-2022, 09:26 PM   #10

THOR #20274
I looked at about 8 websites and they still use the 6 speed, just like my motorhome has a 6 speed but the trucks get a 10 speed, is it cost or the other transmissions can't handle the load?
Old 03-14-2022, 10:17 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
I looked at about 8 websites and they still use the 6 speed, just like my motorhome has a 6 speed but the trucks get a 10 speed, is it cost or the other transmissions can't handle the load?
This thread is about the RAM chassis motorhome. Currently, on Ford chassis only the 6 speed is available for F53 and E cutaways; 10 speed available in pickups.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 11:25 PM   #12

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
This thread is about the RAM chassis motorhome. Currently, on Ford chassis only the 6 speed is available for F53 and E cutaways; 10 speed available in pickups.
The 8 websites I went to said the Ram chassis uses a 6 speed not the 9 speed for this motorhome. I see he said he has a 9 speed. That is like my motorhome when it came out said I had a V10 that wasn't true
Old 03-14-2022, 11:45 PM   #13

THOR #2121
Quote:
The 8 websites I went to said the Ram chassis uses a 6 speed not the 9 speed for this motorhome. I see he said he has a 9 speed. That is like my motorhome when it came out said I had a V10 that wasn't true

RAM switched over to 9 speed, but RV manufacturers are likely still using older 2021 van chassis with old 6-speed transmission. If you are looking for latest correct information, go to RAM directly and not motorhome manufacturers’ websites.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ADF2E333-B065-4991-A812-3C75380248E7.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	36460  
Old 03-14-2022, 11:53 PM   #14
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Nobody said they had a 9 speed transmission. What was said was the 2022 RAM chassis comes with a 9 speed transmission but since the 2022 MHs are built on the 2021 chassis there are no MHs with the 9 speed transmission, yet.

Not sure what that has to do with a V10 engine.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 12:27 AM   #15

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Nobody said they had a 9 speed transmission. What was said was the 2022 RAM chassis comes with a 9 speed transmission but since the 2022 MHs are built on the 2021 chassis there are no MHs with the 9 speed transmission, yet.

Not sure what that has to do with a V10 engine.
On mine all the websites said my 2021 had the V10, when I had a V8. RSKDSK said his 2021 kept shifting, then said The new Ram platform had a 9 speed transmission, that should help with hills and headwinds
Old 09-11-2022, 07:13 PM   #16

Model: 2022 Tellaro 20L
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #25231
My 20L pulls just fine on a 6% grade at 3000 - 3500 rpm. It doesn't like 10%, and it really doesn't like 12%. On a 12% grade I got about 40 mph at around 4000 rpm. Sorry I don't know what gear that is.
Having said all that, we just finished a trip from PA to Cape Breton Island through Quebec and New Brunswick, and we averaged 17.6 mpg for the whole trip of 3600 miles.
Old 09-11-2022, 08:19 PM   #17

State: Wisconsin
THOR #27874
Quote:
Hi Everyone!

Thank you!
I have a 2023 Tellaro on a 2022 Ram Promaster, <6% slows down at least 3-5mph not pressing any harder on the accelerator.

I have to pay attention, or I end up with a line of cars behind me.

I think the thing is a bit underpowered, but it will probably save me the $400 ticket some day.

My other cars will do 0-60 in a few seconds...this thing, maybe 60 by the end of the on-ramp.

I find the sweet spot around 65-70, feels a bit wobbly in the 80s'. Getting 17ish mph.

My Class A has a 5-Star tune, wonder if that's a thing for these engines/transmissions?

Ron
2023 Thor Tellaro 20L 200Amp Reliable -no generator
RonRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 08:31 PM   #18

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceofPA View Post
My 20L pulls just fine on a 6% grade at 3000 - 3500 rpm. It doesn't like 10%, and it really doesn't like 12%. On a 12% grade I got about 40 mph at around 4000 rpm. Sorry I don't know what gear that is.
Having said all that, we just finished a trip from PA to Cape Breton Island through Quebec and New Brunswick, and we averaged 17.6 mpg for the whole trip of 3600 miles.

40mph at 4000 rpm is ok with me. We recently downsized from a gas Newmar and saw those numbers regularly. But how often do you encounter 12% grades? And when you do they always have a truck lane so you won’t be holding anyone up. No big deal.
Old 09-13-2022, 04:34 PM   #19

Model: 2022 Tellaro 20L
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #25231
On our trip through Quebec, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia, most of the major Canadian highways have a passing lane. Major US highways do, too. But state and county highways in Maine and New Hampshire don't. A few of the more scenic highways in Canada also lack passing lanes.

And I agree that the Ram is underpowered. I guess I'm willing to accept that in exchange for better gas mileage. It helps a lot not to rely on cruise control in hilly territory. When it downshifts to about second gear and the engine hits 5000 rpm or so the torque steer is a surprise and a lot disconcerting.
Old 09-13-2022, 09:18 PM   #20

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Some of the recent comments in this thread are discomforting. Who drives a motor home above 80 and then complains about the handling? I hope I don't share the road with that driver. Same with someone driving a FWD vehicle and not expecting some torque steer. Common sense sure goes a long way and seems to be sorely lacking now a days.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote