Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2022, 01:06 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusti View Post
Sure ! Here’s the hose protection.
I’ve got no dog in this hunt, but, it seems to me that a belt, at highway speed, rubbing against whatever that “ protective” material is just a bandaid. The belt will experience premature failure.

Old 08-07-2022, 03:07 PM   #62

Model: Axis
State: Prince Edward Island
THOR #7239
Perfect !

Nope … when the RAM is started …. the clearance is perfect : )
Old 08-07-2022, 04:26 PM   #63

Model: Tellaro 20L
State: Oklahoma
THOR #26690
Regardless of the fix my issue is that at best I only have 1/16 clearance between the serpentine belt and the hose currently. The first hose was cut through entirely within the first 5,000 miles on a brand new 2022 Thor Tellaro. The replacement hose started with 1/4 inch clearance and started to be cut after 750 miles. It has been readjusted back to 1/16th inch clearance but obviously can not be taken on any major trips until modified or a risk the engine seizing up and loosing power steering and braking while on the highway. This has been the case since May.
Old 08-11-2022, 10:46 PM   #64

THOR #26690
Still have not heard back from Thor Motor Corporation in regards to a “Molded Hose” potential fix from their vendor. I was originally informed that I would have a response back before last Friday. Tomorrow will be two weeks and still no response. After reaching out to TMC this week I was informed they have no update from their vendor. Still have our 2022 - $120K TMC paper weight parked in our driveway and unusable for RVing. We have had to cancel all our summer RV destinations and are hoping TMC will fix this issue in time for all our upcoming Fall RV Travel plans.
Old 08-13-2022, 03:51 PM   #65

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennC View Post
.....cut..... It has been readjusted back to 1/16th inch clearance but obviously can not be taken on any major trips until modified or a risk the engine seizing up and loosing power steering and braking while on the highway. This has been the case since May.

Quote:
Still have not heard back from Thor Motor Corporation in regards to a “Molded Hose” potential fix from their vendor. I was originally informed that I would have a response back before last Friday. Tomorrow will be two weeks and still no response. After reaching out to TMC this week I was informed they have no update from their vendor. Still have our 2022 - $120K TMC paper weight parked in our driveway and unusable for RVing. We have had to cancel all our summer RV destinations and are hoping TMC will fix this issue in time for all our upcoming Fall RV Travel plans.

Not a fix at all, nor what you need, deserve, or paid for, but rather than cancel your trips while you wait, have you considered removing the belt and using your otherwise “paper-weight” motorhome without the under-hood generator? If you can remove the added belt without causing problems (you’d have to confirm with Thor but expect it is doable), would it not eliminate possibility of damaging hose and leaving you stranded?

I don’t know your camping plans, but we camped for about 10 years without a generator because we only stayed in campgrounds with full hookups. We now have a portable generator only for when boondocking in hot temperatures requiring air conditioning, otherwise it stays home.

Obviously you would have to compromise some, but it may allow you to salvage some of your plans/trips while waiting for a proper fix.

Between campground electrical and your solar, batteries should stay charged enough for lights, water pump, etc. during the day. Just an idea to consider and look into if your plans were to stay in campgrounds with hookups.
Old 08-14-2022, 01:27 PM   #66

THOR #26690
Thanks Chance. I am out of state and need to verify if I have 1 or 2 belts. I still believe it is one long serpentine. What you are saying might be an option however; I am not sure what effect that would have to the electronics associated with the Reliable Lithium Package and if I would be voiding just warranty on that system. I would be limited to solar trickle charge and how long the batteries run on a single charge after I leave an RV park. If I travel with a pet that would limit me to 1 stop per day with ac running. The best solution is for Thor Motor Corporation to stand behind their product and have their engineering expedite a proper fix for all 2022 Thor Tellaro owners via proper re-design and recall if needed for safety.
Old 08-14-2022, 01:39 PM   #67

THOR #26907
Quote:
Thanks Chance. I am out of state and need to verify if I have 1 or 2 belts. I still believe it is one long serpentine. What you are saying might be an option however; I am not sure what effect that would have to the electronics associated with the Reliable Lithium Package and if I would be voiding just warranty on that system. I would be limited to solar trickle charge and how long the batteries run on a single charge after I leave an RV park. If I travel with a pet that would limit me to 1 stop per day with ac running. The best solution is for Thor Motor Corporation to stand behind their product and have their engineering expedite a fir me and all 2022 Thor Tellaro owners.
This is probably out of left field, but my 2022 does not have the under-hood generator (alternator) and Thor made only a few this way. This would return it to the original Promaster configuration. Instead of the under-hood generator, we have the Onan 2800 watt generator so I know it is on option for them. Ours has been great and the generator is very quiet and works perfectly. I noticed in an earlier post you mentioned possible clearance issues in the rear with the generator installed there. We have had no problems with that at all and had ours on some dirt roads etc. The Onan is used when the batteries need charging and it can also power the A/C etc. We travel with a large dog and are able to leave him in the vehicle with the A/C on as long as necessary without having to worry about batteries etc.
The reason I mention that is why not suggest they repair yours by removing the "under-hood generator" and just adding the Onan? I have seen them available for sale so I don't think they would have a problem getting one. I would think that could be done pretty simply and quickly and they certainly have the ability to do that. Might be quicker than waiting on them to come up with a solution. Ours uses the same inverter and lithium batteries you have so not much modification would be required. An Onan generator and install probably could be added in one day and you would be done with it. Thor should at least offer that to you in my opinion free of charge for all your problems and down time.

FYI, on my "build sheet" Thor shows this as optional equipment. Their specific wording for this is "Special-----Onan generator IPO (in place of) Second Altenator." The cost added is $1400 on the build sheet.
I see you have a 2022 20L model which is identical to mine and Thor can do this and should if you are "ok" with that system instead of the under-hood system.
Old 08-14-2022, 01:50 PM   #68

THOR #2121
Quote:
Thanks Chance. I am out of state and need to verify if I have 1 or 2 belts. I still believe it is one long serpentine. What you are saying might be an option however; I am not sure what effect that would have to the electronics associated with the Reliable Lithium Package and if I would be voiding just warranty on that system. I would be limited to solar trickle charge and how long the batteries run on a single charge after I leave an RV park. If I travel with a pet that would limit me to 1 stop per day with ac running. The best solution is for Thor Motor Corporation to stand behind their product and have their engineering expedite a fir me and all 2022 Thor Tellaro owners.
If you need to run A/C at all, I would not consider this option — it will go through batteries way too fast. Specs show you have more than a solar trickle charger, but that amount may be required to power refrigerator during day. I assume you have 12V compressor refrigerator.

Reminded me that when traveling with our dog in summer, sometimes I would stay in van with him and kept engine idling for A/C while my wife went into a store for groceries. It’s one of the “compromises” we had to make in order to travel without a generator. In retrospect, it was nice to rest a few minutes while she shopped.
Old 08-14-2022, 01:55 PM   #69

THOR #26907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
If you need to run A/C at all, I would not consider this option — it will go through batteries way too fast. Specs show you have more than a solar trickle charger, but that amount may be required to power refrigerator during day. I assume you have 12V compressor refrigerator.

Reminded me that when traveling with our dog in summer, sometimes I would stay in van with him and kept engine idling for A/C while my wife went into a store for groceries. It’s one of the “compromises” we had to make in order to travel without a generator. In retrospect, it was nice to rest a few minutes while she shopped.
I agree with Chance, you can not run the A/C without being plugged in with the Under-hood generator not working. I am able to run my A/C an hour without the generator running and then they are needing recharge with only 200 a/h of battery power. Solar at 190 watt is good for keeping the refrigerator going and trickle charging and not much else.
Old 08-14-2022, 09:42 PM   #70

THOR #26690
Thanks for the feedback Robert and Chance. I had posted earlier this spring when I first got the 2022 Tellaro that the 200AH Lithium System was good for about 2 -3 hours when fully charged with the Fridge and the AC on. The AC obviously the big user. Than you would have to plug in or start your vehicle which would charge your batteries through the second Ballamar Alternator/Generator while it was cutting your radiator hose with the belt to drive the Ballamar.
My reference to a mount to low was in regards to the old design if the lithium batteries mounted bellow the rear axel leaving like 4 inches of clearance. The Tellaro used to come standard with the 2400 Onan Generator and the 800AH Lithium System was like a $15,000 - $20,000 upgrade. They had a supply chain shortage from Onan and reduced the Lithium Package from an 800AH system to a 200AH system so they could provide 2022 Tellaro inventory. Only problem…it cuts through your radiator hose and could create a catastrophic engine failure. But you would still be able to run your AC for 2-3 hours and drink a cold beverage while you pondered your RV purchase to begin with.
Old 08-15-2022, 12:53 AM   #71

Model: 2022 Sanctuary
State: Florida
THOR #26179
I would think the issue is not the Hose , but how the second Alternator is mounted , the original Hose was I would think factory Hose set up on that Engine . Thor added the Alternator & an after market Mount system on , thats where the issue is , seems to me .

No reason why the Drive Pulley/Shive can not be Shimmed where mounted to Harmonic Damper , also where the Alternator is mounted to the Mount , same size Shims & it should work .( Lets not forget the Belt tensioner mount, if equipped )

Cant see the hole set up , so kinda guessing.
Old 08-15-2022, 12:59 AM   #72

THOR #26690
The first hose that was cut was not a factory original mopar part it was aftermarket which was part of the modification. You are correct, Thor also added their own mount for the secondary Ballamar alternator/generator..

You are also correct that this is where the problem was created. It also appears that they have used some sort of shiv or extension on the pulleys and the tensioner already, but I am not positive. Thanks for your input.
Old 08-15-2022, 11:10 AM   #73

Model: 2022 Sanctuary
State: Florida
THOR #26179
Quote:
The first hose that was cut was not a factory original mopar part it was aftermarket which was part of the modification. You are correct, Thor also added their own mount for the secondary Ballamar alternator/generator..

You are also correct that this is where the problem was created. It also appears that they have used some sort of shiv or extension on the pulleys and the tensioner already, but I am not positive. Thanks for your input.
I agree with those saying to put a guard around the Hose , so you can use the RV & just keep an eye on it , there are many materials out there that can be used . I would only wait so long to see if Thor is going to do something , its not rocket science .I think they will eventually .

Has it been determined its one Serpentine belt or an added one for the second Alternator ?
Old 08-15-2022, 12:36 PM   #74

THOR #26907
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback Robert and Chance. I had posted earlier this spring when I first got the 2022 Tellaro that the 200AH Lithium System was good for about 2 -3 hours when fully charged with the Fridge and the AC on. The AC obviously the big user. Than you would have to plug in or start your vehicle which would charge your batteries through the second Ballamar Alternator/Generator while it was cutting your radiator hose with the belt to drive the Ballamar.
My reference to a mount to low was in regards to the old design if the lithium batteries mounted bellow the rear axel leaving like 4 inches of clearance. The Tellaro used to come standard with the 2400 Onan Generator and the 800AH Lithium System was like a $15,000 - $20,000 upgrade. They had a supply chain shortage from Onan and reduced the Lithium Package from an 800AH system to a 200AH system so they could provide 2022 Tellaro inventory. Only problem…it cuts through your radiator hose and could create a catastrophic engine failure. But you would still be able to run your AC for 2-3 hours and drink a cold beverage while you pondered your RV purchase to begin with.
I would not be happy with 4" of clearance either. The clearance with the Onan is about 1" below the rear axle on ours and am aware of it but don't think it a problem. $15000-$20000 upgrade is ridiculous for the 800AH system! Wonder if that model has the same problem?

I would be extremely happy if I could get 2-3 hours of A/C use on the 200a/h batteries but usually just crank the generator and charge when they start getting low. You can start and stop the generator from the phone app while driving. The only time we use the A/C without the Onan is when leaving the dog in the car and making a quick stop.

It would seem this problem would effect a "high" number of vehicles given they have stopped production of the Onan models and they should "recall" all of them.
Hard to believe this problem was not caught before they produced these.

Winnebago is also producing one very similar on the Pro-master Chassis (Travato?) and wondering if they came up with a better solution? Hopefully they come up with a something soon so you can get some use out of it.
Old 08-15-2022, 12:56 PM   #75

THOR #26690
I am currently out of state and can not verify if it is one belt or 2. I believe it is one very long aftermarket serpentine belt. Thor Motor Coach has to come up with a permanent engineered redesign and fix for this issue. If I modify the component or authorize Dodge/Ram or Campingworld to modify TMC’s modification I have been told I will void the warranty on the engine. I have been stuck unable to use the 2022 Tellaro since May because of this.
Old 08-15-2022, 01:03 PM   #76

THOR #26907
Quote:
I am currently out of state and can not verify if it is one belt or 2. I believe it is one very long aftermarket serpentine belt. Thor Motor Coach has to come up with a permanent engineered redesign and fix for this issue. If I modify the component or authorize Dodge/Ram or Campingworld to modify TMC’s modification I have been told I will void the warranty on the engine. I have been stuck unable to use the 2022 Tellaro since May because of this.
I agree that you should not "modify" anything without their approval because they would legally be able to void the warranty. That is why I suggested they convert it to a known working system that Thor produced and utilizing the Dodge Promaster original configuration. Any dealer should be able to do that in one day. If you don't want to consider that, I would think you would have a case under the "lemon laws" of your state. They are different in every state but might be worth researching given the "lack of use" you have experienced. Under the "lemon laws", Thor could be forced to "buy back" your van. We went through that already on a VW purchased some time ago. Feel free to PM me if you would like further information.
Old 08-15-2022, 01:33 PM   #77

THOR #26690
What I really want is for Thor Motor Coach to remedy this design flaw with a permanent and reliable fix. I think they will get there, but like last May I have been promised a fix weeks ago they have yet to provide. TMC needs to make this a priority for all 2022 Tellaro and 2022 Sequence owners.
Old 08-15-2022, 01:39 PM   #78

THOR #26907
Quote:
What I really want is for Thor Motor Coach to remedy this design flaw with a permanent and reliable fix. I think they will get there, but like last May I have been promised a fix weeks ago they have yet to provide. TMC needs to make this a priority for all 2022 Tellaro and 2022 Sequence owners.
I completely understand and agree they should and most likely will remedy this. The timing is the issue as to how long you will have to wait to get it done. Everyone is different and I would have most likely lost patience with this long ago. Unfortunately in this world what they need to do and will do can be two different things. I am sure Thor like most companies these days has an army of lawyers and are aware of what their legal obligations are but sometimes they need some "incentive" to get it done.
Old 08-15-2022, 03:42 PM   #79
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Send the certified letter or keep wasting time, it’s your choice.
Old 08-15-2022, 04:42 PM   #80

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertj1961 View Post

.....cut....

FYI, on my "build sheet" Thor shows this as optional equipment. Their specific wording for this is "Special-----Onan generator IPO (in place of) Second Altenator." The cost added is $1400 on the build sheet.
I see you have a 2022 20L model which is identical to mine and Thor can do this and should if you are "ok" with that system instead of the under-hood system.

Thanks for posting this valuable cost information.

The $1,400 price shows how much the aftermarket second alternators really cost. Kits are quite expensive plus it takes a lot of labor to install on top of that. An Onan costs a lot more than $1,400 so Thor are obviously offsetting much of Onan generator price by deleting 2nd alternator.

For campers who boondock a lot where air conditioning is needed much of the time, and where generators are not prohibited, that $1,400 option could be a good choice.

P.S. — Interesting that Winnebago takes slight different approach with EKKO by providing Onan 2800i and 2nd alternator as standard, and then offers option to delete Onan for additional lithium battery capacity. With Onan option you mention above, Thor appear to provide three choices — 200 Ah with alternator, 200 Ah with Onan, and 800 Ah with alternator; in that order of price. All good choices to have depending on how RV will be used.