Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-03-2022, 01:30 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tellaro 20L
State: Oklahoma
THOR #26690
My primary concern is the vehicle could have the engine seize up if the fluid drains quickly next time. The first time the belts started squealing when the fluid was shooting out like a water pistol. Luckily I pulled over almost immediately. The second hose started to get slightly cut within 500 miles. Houston we have a problem here.

Old 08-03-2022, 02:07 AM   #22

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
that second picture shows the hose is already being slapped by the belt.

i would do the sleeve temp repair to be able to drive safely and then keep pressure on thor and ram.
there is no excuse for what we are seeing
Old 08-03-2022, 02:11 AM   #23

THOR #26690
That is good advice. I have been talking directly with Thor via email. I thinking documenting more formally is a good way to go.
Old 08-03-2022, 02:51 AM   #24

THOR #26690
Again, I think your advice is sound in regards to following the warranty process as outlined by Thor. I do have several responses from Thor warranty via e-mail with Thor’s logo from their warranty department acknowledging receipt of my emails indicating that TMC is working with their vendor to come up with a molded hose modification that TMC’s Engineering believes could work. I also have copies from Campingworld and their correspondence with TMC on this issue back in May. Having said the above, sending a written request if required is a great idea.
Old 08-03-2022, 02:55 AM   #25

Model: Tuscany
THOR #1808
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennC View Post
Again, I think your advice is sound in regards to following the warranty process as outlined by Thor. I do have several responses from Thor warranty via e-mail with Thor’s logo from their warranty department acknowledging receipt of my emails indicating that TMC is working with their vendor to come up with a molded hose modification that TMC’s Engineering believes could work. I also have copies from Campingworld and their correspondence with TMC on this issue back in May. Having said the above, sending a written request if required is a great idea.

just me, but if i was a company that put the system together i would have made sure it was not prone to failure so easily? do you know of other similar vehicles with same issue

good thing these are not airplanes
Old 08-03-2022, 03:09 AM   #26

THOR #26690
Thor Motor Corp was having some supply chain issues with smaller Onan Generators in 2021 into 2022. They did a smaller version of their 800AH Lithium Battery System with the modified 200 AH Lithium Reliable System instead of a Generator at no significant price increase like the $25K 800 AH System. This is the only way the could deliver some units. They modified some of the vehicles like the Tellaro rapidly for this change over. Some of the early vehicles had some of the system located below the rear axel leaving only like 4 inches of clearance. My Tellaro wouldn’t have even cleared the speed bumps where I live. They scrapped that idea back in January. I think the modification/addition of the Ballamar Generator/Altenator as part of this system may need some of the bugs worked out as well.
Old 08-03-2022, 11:18 AM   #27
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Have you taken it to Dodge
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 12:02 PM   #28

THOR #26690
I took the vehicle into Dodge-Ram Dealership back in May thinking it was Ram Promaster Engine issue. They verified it was a Thor Motor Corp modification to the Serpentine Belt and lower radiator hose that TMC would need to modify.
Old 08-03-2022, 01:25 PM   #29

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
Poor engineering. A stainless elbow and shortened radius along with series of clamps with solid side toward belt and/or sheetmetal sleeve in short term if needed to allow some use till factory update.

Otherwise very poor engineering or lack of common sense. Neither hose nor belt should be exposed to damage.

We run into all kinds of interferemce issues with racecar stuff, with this level of engineering would never get to race.
Old 08-03-2022, 01:30 PM   #30

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
Seeing pic reminded me. We had a V6 powered forlift that required 1/2" cut off lower hose to allow outside radius to be pulled away from belt. I had just replaced head gaskets and did valve job along with replacing belts/hoses, etc. Brand new hose was longer than one I took off. I guess was production line correction?
Old 08-03-2022, 01:31 PM   #31

THOR #26690
I agree. As you can see from the pics above I even provided a solution I came up with from the help of a retired Boeing Engineer. Maintain the inner diameter of 1.5 inch with a stainless steel mandible elbow to maintain proper flow. Higher temperature rating and reduce the outer dimension of tube from 1/4 to 1/16th inch to pick up clearance. I even procured the parts…see above. The same Engineering who designed this mess said that wouldn’t work and I would void the warranty if Campingworld or Dodge/Ram installed.
Old 08-03-2022, 01:54 PM   #32

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback Chance. This is a 2022 model with a 2022 model engine. Thor created a secondary mount for the Ballamar Altenator/Generator on the side of the engine. By doing this they needed to add a longer serpentine belt to turn the second Altenator. In addition, they swapped out the original Mopar Radiator Hose for an aftermarket hose to slip in between the engine and the belt. The clearance is less than 1/8th inch and during use there is no clearance.

RAM ProMaster drivetrain was upgraded for 2022 Model Year, which included switch to 9-speed transmission, engine upgrades for improved fuel economy, and switching from hydraulic to electric power steering. I have not seen the new engine installation in person, but I’m aware of RAM advertised modifications.

Anyway, when RAM eliminated the power steering pump, they probably made significant changes to the serpentine belt and pulley system (unless they just added an idler pulley in place of power steering pump and kept most everything else the same). And I doubt this was the case though it is possible.

It seems possible to me that if RAM made engine upgrades, that the stand-alone motorhome alternator kit that was used before does not work correctly any more. It would not take much change in belt wrap, or pulley location or size revisions, etc. to screw clearances enough to interfere with hose.

What I would like to see is for RAM to offer a second alternator from factory (like Ford does) or better yet offer a 2nd alternator bracket option from factory like Mercedes does on Sprinter. I even thought they might have added a second alternator where the eliminated PS pump went.

P.S. — I am curious what the belt looks like on the back side of engine, near the firewall. RAM pictures are not clear in that area, and may have not been updated.
Old 08-03-2022, 01:55 PM   #33

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
I agree. As you can see from the pics above I even provided a solution I came up with from the help of a retired Boeing Engineer. Maintain the inner diameter of 1.5 inch with a stainless steel mandible elbow to maintain proper flow. Higher temperature rating and reduce the outer dimension of tube from 1/4 to 1/16th inch to pick up clearance. I even procured the parts…see above. The same Engineering who designed this mess said that wouldn’t work and I would void the warranty if Campingworld or Dodge/Ram installed.
If they don't have your mileage why not use a bead roller on both ends of the tube to hold the hoses on and use it, go camping. Put the old hose back on when it goes in for service
Old 08-03-2022, 02:06 PM   #34

THOR #26690
I currently have a second hose mounted to replace the first hose which is being cut as well. You can not find any pics in the Ram Promaster 3500 manual of this configuration because Thor added the second Ballamar Altenator/Generator, the Serpentine Belt and the lower radiator hose. They also added a mount for the configuration. None of the parts are Mopar Factory parts so you can’t find any reference with Dodge/Ram in their manuals. This is all TMC homegrown Enngineering and manufacturing .
Old 08-03-2022, 02:10 PM   #35

THOR #26690
Also, I could be mistaken but I believe the engine is mounted sideways so the Serpentine Belt, pulleys and tension arm is mounted on the passenger side looking down on the engine on the left side. Altenators are on the front towards the grill. The rear of the Engine is not against the firewall.
Old 08-03-2022, 02:17 PM   #36

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Whatever Thor does to resolve this, you need to get the Dodge/Ram engineering involved and endorse it. That should also probably be a part of the Thor process but that's assuming normal protocol. Big mistake. When all is said and done...Chrysler needs to sign off on it.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 02:23 PM   #37

THOR #2121
Quote:
I currently have a second hose mounted to replace the first hose which is being cut as well. You can not find any pics in the Ram Promaster 3500 manual of this configuration because Thor added the second Ballamar Altenator/Generator, the Serpentine Belt and the lower radiator hose. They also added a mount for the configuration. None of the parts are Mopar Factory parts so you can’t find any reference with Dodge/Ram in their manuals. This is all TMC homegrown Enngineering and manufacturing .
Yes, I know that. That’s what they have done for years. Don’t you think it’s strange you have problems now? I don’t believe in unrelated coincidences.

I was talking about pictures of the new versus previous engine BEFORE Thor and others add second alternator.
Old 08-03-2022, 02:23 PM   #38

THOR #26690
I would have assumed Thor got Dodge/Ram to sign off on modifying their Serpentine Belt, Radiaor Hose and any other parts that would touch the power train?
Old 08-03-2022, 02:26 PM   #39

THOR #26690
I might be able to go into the Dodge/Ram Dealership when they have a ProMaster 3500 passenger Van in stock and take a picture of what the engine looked like before TMC modification and kinda reverse engineer what they did.
Old 08-03-2022, 08:52 PM   #40

THOR #2121
Quote:
I would have assumed Thor got Dodge/Ram to sign off on modifying their Serpentine Belt, Radiaor Hose and any other parts that would touch the power train?

I personally doubt it; don’t see an upside for Stellantis/RAM to formally approve a modification because it then makes them liable. I expect RAM issues specifications detailing/allowing modifications, but final responsibility is with RV manufacturer.

For your information, below is picture on the RAM ProMaster website for the revised 2022 engine. I can’t quite make out what the pulley on firewall side of engine powers. I think that’s where power steering pump was located previously, but I’m not sure. Other RAM V6 have alternator at that location.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BC3476F0-2C0C-4212-8F78-E3E150FE4152.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	39009