Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2022, 12:04 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2022 Sanctuary
State: Florida
THOR #26179
2022 Thor Sanctuary 19P GFI

To start , my wife finally got some time off & we made our first shake down cruz with or RV , I will say it was a blast & the Dogs just loved the whole experience , which we were worried about , but I went to plug the Coffee pot in to a receptacle on the Kitchen Island & no power to any of the receptacles on the starboard side ( passenger side ) I found we could use a small cooler as a table to plug it in under the TV , so we had great coffee .

Back home I decided to look into it ,even called TMC , not much help there & can understand trouble shooting over the phone is not the bast way to check must anything , they told me to seek a dealer , I do have an appointment with GRV. in Sept. for them to replace the Transfer switch , but not waiting for that to happen , I'm more qualified them anyone I talked to at the dealership, so I went in search of & found some things that may help others here .

The outside receptacle's on the side of the RV have a tag that reads , GFI POTECTED , ok I had not found a GFI anything in the RV , so tracing the wiring out , the GFI connected receptacles hav Romex wire sheathing in a green color , where most of the rest (15 amp , 14 gage )is white & the 30 amp, 10 gage wire is orange . I had to remove many panels including the Refrigerator tracing the one green sheathed cable that was not attached to a receptacle on the passenger side , it ran behind the Batteries & Inverter , past the water heater/furnace , behind the Bath rm. un it , up behind the Refrigerator , back behind the Bath rm unit & over behind the Cabinet attached to the Bath unit to a Receptacle under that cabinet , in the back corner . That cabinet is above that seat that no one could ever sit in & this GFI receptacle is under the cabinet , who would look there or who would hide that resettable GFI there ?

I reset it & all my receptacles work now , it has probably been tripped since day one , I never needed it , since this was our first use of the RV except for the Beach , where we can drive on the beach here & haven't needed it .

I had to remove the panel at the back of that cabinet to look & low & behold , there the gang box for the GFI receptacle was & of course looking under the cabinet all the way in the back was the GFI . The seat that is there is on top of the water heater & I use that seat for storage , because unless you are under two foot tall , you will never be able to sit in it , I will get a phot with everything back in place , so you can see its unusable as a seat in any way but storage .

First photo is of under the seat on the passenger side next to the Sink island , phot left of that one is of the green sheathed cable I need to trace out , lower left photo is of area behind the panel at the back of the Cabinet & shows the box for the receptacle & photo on the right of it is where the GFI receptacle is under the cabinet , seat cushion & base cover above water heater has been removed , which is another sore spot , when making up the Bed , the Velcro is so strange , just pulling up the cushion , pulled several screws holding it to the base , on both sides .

I also found while in search of , the bath rm sink drain was not connected to the main drain , just drained into the body or floor inside the wall .I posted in the Thor tranquility /Sanctuary 19P defects , I'll post it here also .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring under pass side seat.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	38371   Click image for larger version

Name:	green wire .jpg
Views:	36
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	38372  

Name:	GFI recpt. box .jpg
Views:	50
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	38373   Click image for larger version

Name:	GFI placement .jpg
Views:	40
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	38374  

Name:	plumbing connection.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	38375  

Old 06-30-2022, 01:52 AM   #2

THOR #26179
This is what it looks like all together & where the GFI Receptacle is tucked up in the back .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	seat all back together.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	38386   Click image for larger version

Name:	GFI under cabinet .jpg
Views:	38
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	38387  

Old 07-02-2022, 01:31 PM   #3

State: New Hampshire
THOR #27249
Wow

I can't believe the sink drain wasn't even connected ! Might it have vibrated loose? Looks like a clamped connection ??
Old 07-02-2022, 05:22 PM   #4

THOR #26179
Quote:
Originally Posted by 603 Rick View Post
I can't believe the sink drain wasn't even connected ! Might it have vibrated loose? Looks like a clamped connection ??
Rubber Hub Coupling has a Hose clamp at both ends to clamp around 1 1/2" PVC Pipe , it could not have been connected , the Nipple that should have been on the "T" fitting on the Drain Pipe to the Gray water Tank was never installed to connect the Hub Couple to.

I think they installed the Bath assembly , which is one piece & probably pre assembled & were supposed to connect this after install & it was missed . The only way to connect the fittings is with the access panel in the Bath , where the Toilet paper dispenser is part of . The photo above was taken with the Refrigerator removed .

Its at the top right in the photo here,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	access panel in bath.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	38479  
Old 07-22-2022, 03:37 PM   #5

Model: Sanctuary 19P
State: Ontario
THOR #27108
This post really helped me. When I picked up the unit a week ago I tested the GFIs with a portable small plug that triggers the switch. Then of course, I was not able to find the one with the reset button! Looked everywhere (I guess not everywhere) and called different help numbers. No one knew and this outlet is not shown in the electrical diagrams specs manual (which all-in-all is actually a great manual). Thank you so much! I owe you a bottle of wine!
Old 07-22-2022, 05:07 PM   #6

THOR #26179
The Outlet does show on the electrical schematic , I think its a circled #5 in that area , but its not a GFI symbol , like the others are that are daisy chained to it . If you don't know what it is , you would miss it like me & until I found it physically , I looked at that area on the Schematic & the circled #5 & its described in the next page , if I remember correctly .

I found the ones with marked GFI symbols , but none were GFI , I guess I should have read all the symbols first , instead of looking at the Schematic & I wouldn't have gotten a tour of every little crevice in this RV , but I learned a lot & found a couple of issues , so all is good & also happy it helped someone else .
Old 12-13-2023, 01:44 PM   #7

State: California
THOR #28870
This was really useful. Thanks! I also looked everywhere, but not there lol.