Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2022, 03:38 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #25796
2022 Thor Sanctuary 19P Wheels - Need Help Identifying

Hi,

New to the van life and forum. We just purchased a 2022 Sanctuary 19P.

I would like to add a spare tire and wheel. Mine has the optional BFG KO2 tire/wheel package along with the lift. I have looked everywhere and can't seem to find the brand on the wheels. They are 16"

Here's a picture. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220121_134953615.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	35712  

Old 01-22-2022, 05:29 PM   #2

THOR #25796
I spoke to the dealer and they didn't know but are going to contact their Thor Rep.

I spoke to Thor but there answer wasn't very definitive. The lady on the phone thinks they are Mercedes wheels, but I would think they would have the MB center cap if they were.

In the meantime I've ordered a BFG KO2 in LT245/75R16, only $187 with discounts and free shipping from Discount Tire Direct. I also ordered an OEM style steel wheel from Carid on eBay for only $73 with free shipping. I should have them by the end of next week.

Now I need to decide how I want to carry the spare on the vehicle.
Old 01-24-2022, 11:30 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #22773
I created a video showing my setup. I purchase a steel rim from eBay as well and a tire from tire rack. I then purchased the steel Owl van spare tire holder for around $700 and installed it myself.

BTW, the rims are not Mercedes and I have another 3 coming from Thor as soon as they can get them from their supplier.
Old 01-24-2022, 11:38 PM   #4

THOR #22773
here is a pic of my setup
Old 01-24-2022, 11:39 PM   #5

THOR #22773
here is a pic of my setupClick image for larger version

Name:	RotopaX.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	35808

Of course you can see how I used the lower part of the bike rack for the rotopax installation as well. I carry water and spare diesel ... just in case.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:07 AM   #6

THOR #25796
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSKDSK View Post
here is a pic of my setupAttachment 35808

Of course you can see how I used the lower part of the bike rack for the rotopax installation as well. I carry water and spare diesel ... just in case.

That looks great! I intend to carry spare water and fuel as well. Unfortunately, the cheapest OWL carrier is currently listed at $1295 on their website. Maybe it's inflation and supply issues - when did you buy yours?
Old 01-25-2022, 12:30 AM   #7

THOR #25796
I just want the tire as an emergency option, so matching the wheel isn't that important to me. I was hoping to have one to match but if I have a flat it will get me back to civilization and I can get the tire on the steelie swapped onto the OEM that had the flat and hopefully get the flat patched and put on the steelie.

If we keep the van I might upgrade to a better wheel with larger tire in the future. Right now the prospect of keeping this unit has decreased dramatically with all the issues I'm encountering. It comes nowhere near my expectations.

I'll never buy another Thor nor will I buy anything from this big dealer network
where I bought mine.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:58 AM   #8

THOR #22773
You should call owl vans and ask if the have:

Sprinter Tire Carrier for VS30 Vans 2019-present - STEEL - the one on the website is more expensive as it is aluminum. The steel version I purchased was $750.00

As for Thor quality ... yes they have issues ... but so do many other manufacturers. That does not make it right, but I would not want to spend more and have quality issues. I tell myself that I purchased a very solid platform (Mercedes) Diesel and lifted 4X4. I also purchase a "upgradeable" floor plan and layout that as things break (and they will in any RV) I will make better. I think of this as practice as in the future I will surely build my own RV and it will be sooooo much better than anything you can purchase today.
Old 01-25-2022, 01:35 PM   #9

THOR #25796
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSKDSK View Post
You should call owl vans and ask if the have:

Sprinter Tire Carrier for VS30 Vans 2019-present - STEEL - the one on the website is more expensive as it is aluminum. The steel version I purchased was $750.00

As for Thor quality ... yes they have issues ... but so do many other manufacturers. That does not make it right, but I would not want to spend more and have quality issues. I tell myself that I purchased a very solid platform (Mercedes) Diesel and lifted 4X4. I also purchase a "upgradeable" floor plan and layout that as things break (and they will in any RV) I will make better. I think of this as practice as in the future I will surely build my own RV and it will be sooooo much better than anything you can purchase today.

Based on their description, it looks like the aluminum is the new improved version.

This is my first RV and I'm learning the quality lesson fast. I had planned to build my own in the beginning, but someone else in the house thought that would take too long and interfere with my other projects. ;>) I do like the MB platform although it is thirstier than expected. I'm hoping mileage will improve as the engine breaks in.

Thanks again for your input!
Old 01-25-2022, 04:09 PM   #10

State: Montana
THOR #25596
What are you getting for fuel mileage? I drove 700 miles after we bought ours, from Utah to Montana and avg 15mpg. We were getting 15.5 in the flatter lands at 75 and 15 through the mountains at 70. Granted we were not loaded down but I was ok with that. My Chevy Colorado zr2 (gas) only gets 16.5/17 mpg on the same trip. I think the diesel will handle heavy loads way better than the gas .
Old 01-25-2022, 11:59 PM   #11

THOR #25796
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_MT View Post
What are you getting for fuel mileage? I drove 700 miles after we bought ours, from Utah to Montana and avg 15mpg. We were getting 15.5 in the flatter lands at 75 and 15 through the mountains at 70. Granted we were not loaded down but I was ok with that. My Chevy Colorado zr2 (gas) only gets 16.5/17 mpg on the same trip. I think the diesel will handle heavy loads way better than the gas .

My trip home from NJ to NH was just over 15 mpg. We were mostly off the interstates on slower roads as we like to take scenic routes and avoid the ridiculous tolls here in the NorthEast. We were dry without any cargo other than us and the dogs and maybe 50 pounds of luggage and supplies. I figured we could get 18 running steady at 60-65. I'm around 14 here at home on short trips. I get about the same in my Tundra and 17 on a trip. I get 18-20 in my FJCruiser. Diesel is typically 10 to 20 percent more per gallon than regular I have no experience as to what I can expect for DEF consumption.

I hope you're right about the heavier loads but this vehicle is very heavy to begin with and the tall profile with all that stuff on the roof isn't very good for minimizing drag. Why did they put such a high profile A/C on these? I took the roof rack off my FJ and MPG went up by 1 plus it was quieter.

I suppose I sound like a penny pincher. On the other hand, a penny pincher wouldn't have spent so much money on the van to start with
Old 01-26-2022, 12:10 AM   #12

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I think, but do not know, and if regulations have been slackened it might not be true on all rims:
Each wheel type has a unique DOT code that must be embossed or stamped no smaller than 3mm on each DOT approved rim. It's SUPPOSED to be on the visible side of the wheel. Check near the valve stem for some 8dot impact/laser font.

The DOT code will lead you to the manufacturer.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:53 PM   #13

THOR #25796
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I think, but do not know, and if regulations have been slackened it might not be true on all rims:
Each wheel type has a unique DOT code that must be embossed or stamped no smaller than 3mm on each DOT approved rim. It's SUPPOSED to be on the visible side of the wheel. Check near the valve stem for some 8dot impact/laser font.

The DOT code will lead you to the manufacturer.

Thanks, but there's nothing on them. I'll look at the back side when I test fit my new steelie. It should be here soon.

Look at what did come today.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20220126_205902348.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	35828  
Old 01-27-2022, 05:08 AM   #14

State: California
THOR #25702
New owner, Tranquility 19L. Finally am getting some excellent support from Thor on the Alternator not charging the lithium. Awning in not functioning on first attempt. I have an appointment the middle of February at a local authorized service center. As far as the wheel and tire “ upgrade” I’ll be selling mine as soon as the Methods and Toyos arrive. Good deal for someone. Huge discount on the tires and basically giving the wheels away
Old 01-31-2022, 10:37 PM   #15

THOR #25796
I have my new tire mounted up on my new steel wheel. The steel wheels use an M14 X 1.5 X 33mm ball seat lug bolt. A ball seat lug has more of a U shape under the bolt head. These are typically too short to use with most aftermarket wheels. Most aftermarket wheels also use a cone seat lug bolt which is more of a V shape under the bolt head.

I decided to test fit my spare to make sure it fits OK. I started with the front passenger side. I needed a 3 foot section of pipe on my breaker bar to loosen the lugs. My cordless impact wrench would not loosen them.

I was quite surprised and very pleased to find that my aluminum wheels are held on by ball seat lugs of the correct length. The bolt hole on these wheels is deeply recessed which allows for the shorter bolt and they are definitely ball seat.

I checked all my other wheels and my impact wrench was able to loosen them all. I torqued them back to specs and can now hit the road knowing I have a proper fitting spare and properly torqued wheels. I'll be rechecking the torque farther down the road.

I'm not only happy about that but I've been rewarded for all my brand bashing by saving $25 for not having to order an additional set of 6 ball seat lugs in the right length to have along if I need to change out a flat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20220131_200442579.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	35947  
Old 01-31-2022, 11:01 PM   #16

THOR #25796
Wheel Markings

Here are the various stampings on the back of my wheels. Some are obvious. Do any of them ID the wheel?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20220131_184120380.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	35956   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220131_184131242.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	35957  

Name:	PXL_20220131_184138651.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	35958   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220131_184149632.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	35959  

Name:	PXL_20220131_184204018.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	35960   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220131_184220505.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	35961  

Old 01-31-2022, 11:20 PM   #17

Model: Tranquility 19L
THOR #25776
Hi everyone. I’ll have 4 of these with the factory all terrain tires for sale sometime next week once my RV gets delivered if anyone is interested in buying one for a spare. I’m in Goodyear, AZ if anyone wants to pick one up. Will repost when I get them. I had the Black Rhino Arsenal wheels installed and cant wait to pick it up!
Old 02-01-2022, 12:15 AM   #18

THOR #25796
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearfootOutdoors View Post
Hi everyone. I’ll have 4 of these with the factory all terrain tires for sale sometime next week once my RV gets delivered if anyone is interested in buying one for a spare. I’m in Goodyear, AZ if anyone wants to pick one up. Will repost when I get them. I had the Black Rhino Arsenal wheels installed and cant wait to pick it up!

You should post this in the classifieds section instead of hijacking my thread -
Old 02-01-2022, 12:28 AM   #19

THOR #25796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyray 992 View Post
New owner, Tranquility 19L. Finally am getting some excellent support from Thor on the Alternator not charging the lithium. Awning in not functioning on first attempt. I have an appointment the middle of February at a local authorized service center. As far as the wheel and tire “ upgrade” I’ll be selling mine as soon as the Methods and Toyos arrive. Good deal for someone. Huge discount on the tires and basically giving the wheels away
Thanks for your posts on the other thread about defects.

You should post your items for sale in the classifieds section.
Old 02-01-2022, 06:00 PM   #20

Model: Tranquility 19L
THOR #25776
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCRUISER View Post
You should post this in the classifieds section instead of hijacking my thread -
Certainly not trying to hijack your post but there’s a lot of discussion on these wheels in this and other forums and people looking for spares. Just trying to help out the community and anyone looking to pick one of these up. I will post this in the classifieds when I am ready to sell and will do my best in the future not to interfere in “your thread”…