Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-07-2023, 01:23 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 23TE
State: New Hampshire
THOR #28988
2023 Gemini 23TE winterization

Hi there,
New Thor owner, 4th RV. The threads are very informative, thanks to all. Like others, we have had teething problems from the start but in general we're very pleased with the TE and the Ford Chassis (works great in the snow). The unit was winterized from the dealership, we picked it up about 3 weeks ago. We are thinking of heading south for a while. I went through the de-winterization process (pretty straightforward) and was walking through the manual to winterize for when we get back (it will still be cold in NH!). The manual says to intake the antifreeze through the city water intake. That didn't work. Took out the drawers, looked at the layout of the water pump etc. I "think" there is a T valve behind one of the wooden supports on the left side that would allow me to run a line from there to the antifreeze to winterize again. Can anyone tell me if I'm on the right track here?

Thanks,
Mark

Old 02-07-2023, 02:03 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
You're on the right track. You can't suction antifreeze from the city water connection without a KantLeak type valve, which I don't think you have. There should be an antifreeze connection on the suction side of the pump.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 02:10 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Another option is a hand suction pump through the city water port. I used this option on a class c for years.
Old 02-08-2023, 08:04 AM   #4

Model: Gemini 23TE
State: New Hampshire
THOR #28988
Got it figured out.

The water pump is to the left of some drawers that need to be pulled out. First picture, notice you can't see any location for antifreeze fill. Second picture, it is hidden behind the wooden post. Third picture, location of the fresh water shut off (silver valve).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water pump behind drawers.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	40787   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inlet behind the wood post.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	40788  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fresh water shut off.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	40789  
Old 02-10-2023, 03:36 PM   #5

State: Nebraska
THOR #28338
Thanks, I'll be ordering one of these.
Old 02-10-2023, 11:31 PM   #6

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
My water pump is located behind a panel in the large rear storage compartment. I added a longer piece of clear tubing to pump the pink antifreeze into the water lines. I have used the manual pump and it works just as good but takes longer to do. You are lucky to have a spot where its easy to access the pump.
Coveman2
2018 Compass 23 TB
Old 02-15-2023, 01:35 PM   #7

THOR #28338
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHfromNH View Post
Hi there,

New Thor owner, 4th RV. The threads are very informative, thanks to all. Like others, we have had teething problems from the start but in general we're very pleased with the TE and the Ford Chassis (works great in the snow). The unit was winterized from the dealership, we picked it up about 3 weeks ago. We are thinking of heading south for a while. I went through the de-winterization process (pretty straightforward) and was walking through the manual to winterize for when we get back (it will still be cold in NH!). The manual says to intake the antifreeze through the city water intake. That didn't work. Took out the drawers, looked at the layout of the water pump etc. I "think" there is a T valve behind one of the wooden supports on the left side that would allow me to run a line from there to the antifreeze to winterize again. Can anyone tell me if I'm on the right track here?

Thanks,

Mark
My new 23TE was winterized by the dealer. This is our first RV & I'm as green as they come, but doing my best to absorb everything. I understand the 2 valve water heater bypass system being in the winter position. I see the anti-freeze port in your photos, which is probably a quicker & easier way to winterize. I do not know the purpose of or why that silver valve on the inlet side of the water pump was in the shut-off position. What circumstances would require the pump to be shut off from the fresh water tank? When examining my rig, I also saw the strainer on the pump full of water, which is concerning because we had many days well below zero this winter (down to -25 F).
Old 02-16-2023, 06:40 PM   #8

THOR #28338
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkNEskies View Post
My new 23TE was winterized by the dealer. This is our first RV & I'm as green as they come, but doing my best to absorb everything. I understand the 2 valve water heater bypass system being in the winter position. I see the anti-freeze port in your photos, which is probably a quicker & easier way to winterize. I do not know the purpose of or why that silver valve on the inlet side of the water pump was in the shut-off position. What circumstances would require the pump to be shut off from the fresh water tank? When examining my rig, I also saw the strainer on the pump full of water, which is concerning because we had many days well below zero this winter (down to -25 F).
This situation is interesting. Here is what Girard says about winterization:

From Girard GSWH-2 Technical Manual

Winterization

Freezing of the water heater and its plumbing components will result in severe damage that is not covered by warranty. For this reason, the water heater contains a winter use device that will keep the water heater from freezing when using the RV is freezing conditions. See the information about the Winter Use Device for proper use.

At the start of the winter season or before traveling to a location where freezing conditions are likely, the unit must be winterized. The very small amount of water present in the heat exchanger does not require a bypass. In fact, it is not recommended.

Freezing water inside of the heat exchanger (just like a tank water heater) will expand and cause a bulging crack on one of the copper tubes of the heat exchanger.

Winterization can be accomplished via the two common methods of winterization used for RV systems. But we highly recommend RV Antifreeze in the water heater heat exchanger. I have had many people think they have gotten all the water out with compressed air whose water heater froze up, but no one who used anti-freeze has ever had freeze damage.

1- Compressed Air Method : Drain all of the water from the system opening one tap at a time and using compressed air to purge all remaining water.

2- RV Anti-Freeze Method : Follow the recommendations of the Recreation Vehicle manufacturer and fill the system with a nontoxic anti-freeze. Make sure that the anti-freeze flows from each tap to complete the process.

Thor installed the bypass system despite Girard recommending not to. They installed that shutoff valve on the inlet line. A Thor tech support rep cannot tell me what it's for. They are researching it and said they would let me know. In a Thor video (the one with Old Man Winter), they state to bypass the water heater. They also show removing the outside drain plug from the unit. I don't believe there is a drain plug on the GSWH-2.

My other question is where the inlet side from the pump goes, besides the fresh water tank, and is the fresh water tank before or after that silver shutoff valve.

Cheers