Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2021, 08:46 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #22773
Tellaro / Sequence & others need to check this

All,

I recently completed a video on how to check / use items in your Thor B class RV during your pre-purchase inspection. During this video I discussed the solar recharging unit and I showed it within the video.

If you look really closely at that part of the video, you will see that the battery type was set for "wet" type batteries when all of our new B class RV have AGM type batteries. This is a big deal as the way they are charged is very different and you can ruin a AGM battery by continuously charging them.

This was pointed out to me by an observant YouTube watcher ... I had completely missed this.
Since then I have had numerous Thor owners contact me and say their solar system was set the same way from the factory.

You may want to check your system.

Old 07-07-2021, 08:48 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #22773
Here is the video ... look at 24:35 and you will see what I am writing about.

Old 01-28-2023, 12:52 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Sequence 20L
State: Illinois
THOR #28919
Do you know what it should be set at for the 2-100ah lithium batteries. I do my walk through in a couple days and am looking for things to look for. It’s a 2023 sequence 20L
Old 01-28-2023, 06:29 PM   #4
MCP

Model: Tellaro 20k
State: Arizona
THOR #27962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks701 View Post
Do you know what it should be set at for the 2-100ah lithium batteries. I do my walk through in a couple days and am looking for things to look for. It’s a 2023 sequence 20L
Should be set to Lithium. The panel shown in the video is probably not what you have in your Sequence. I expect you have the BMPro panel with the RVMaster app. Go into the app settings and check the Solar Controller settings. See attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6311.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	40711  
Old 01-28-2023, 07:10 PM   #5

Model: Tellaro 20L
State: North Carolina
THOR #26907
Your solar contoller will most likely be like the one in the video. On the video at 24:35 it shows "wet" for battery type which is wrong. For your setup you would press the "Batt Type" button and change it to Life04 or similar.

You should also confirm that your Mastervolt/Combi inverter is set up correctly for Lipo batteries. There are "dip switches" underneath the cover of the inverter that you should probably confirm are all in the correct positions. You will have to remove two small phillips screws to remove the cover and access the switches to the Inverter. I would recommend just waiting until you get home on that one however as it is a little more involved. There is a post on this site somewhere that a buyer had to change them but hopefully yours will be correct.
Old 01-28-2023, 07:17 PM   #6

THOR #28919
Thanks guys. The info I learn here is outstanding. I like to know what I’m doing before my walk through. I will know fairly quickly if the person showing me the rv knows what they are talking about or are just going through the motions.
Old 01-28-2023, 07:23 PM   #7

THOR #26907
I will be very surprised if the person doing the walk through knows much of this. Most users have learned this stuff by owning these and "after the fact".
The RV tech guys are usually your best bet because most sales people on these are "clueless". On mine, the sales person could not find or know about the breaker box to turn on the AC power when connected to shore service.

Thor does have a customer service number (877 855 2867). My experience with them has been "mixed" and some of these people know more than others. They always try to be helpful but don't always provide correct information. At least that has been my experience. They should have someone available for emergencies however 24-7.
Old 01-28-2023, 11:06 PM   #8
MCP

Model: Tellaro 20k
State: Arizona
THOR #27962
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertj1961 View Post
Your solar contoller will most likely be like the one in the video. On the video at 24:35 it shows "wet" for battery type which is wrong. For your setup you would press the "Batt Type" button and change it to Life04 or similar.

You should also confirm that your Mastervolt/Combi inverter is set up correctly for Lipo batteries. There are "dip switches" underneath the cover of the inverter that you should probably confirm are all in the correct positions. You will have to remove two small phillips screws to remove the cover and access the switches to the Inverter. I would recommend just waiting until you get home on that one however as it is a little more involved. There is a post on this site somewhere that a buyer had to change them but hopefully yours will be correct.
Interesting about the controller (and/or remote panel).

On my 2023 Tellaro my solar controller is buried behind drawers, but there is no remote panel as shown in the video. The controller is simply connected directly to the RVMaster board with an RV-C cable rather than that cable going to a remote GoPower panel. I presumed that because the video was from more than a year ago that Thor perhaps changed things up. Of course, they may have simply deleted the GoPower panel to save dollars. And perhaps it would have been redundant info. I'd be interested in knowing if the remote panel can, or is, installed in addition to the connection to the RVMaster board with info showing on both the GoPower remote panel and the RVMaster panel app. The GoPower remote maybe gives more info...or perhaps it would just be another gadget to look at!
Old 01-28-2023, 11:47 PM   #9

THOR #28919
Boy am I glad I found this forum!
Old 01-29-2023, 12:50 AM   #10

State: South Carolina
THOR #28929
Solar not charging

Man we have had a terrible time with this! Just when I think we have it figured out — we still DON’T.
We bought a super quiet Honda 3200 watt generator and tried that — still says “insufficient shore power” even though 2 techs and camping world said that would be enough.
No idea what do check next
Old 01-29-2023, 02:11 AM   #11

THOR #26907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbudurka View Post
Man we have had a terrible time with this! Just when I think we have it figured out — we still DON’T.
We bought a super quiet Honda 3200 watt generator and tried that — still says “insufficient shore power” even though 2 techs and camping world said that would be enough.
No idea what do check next
Is the outside temperature where you are lower than 41degrees F when hooking up the generator? If so and you have the Lithium batteries that "could" be the problem. I have had similar problems when running my factory installed Onan 2800i. The 3200 watt generator should be plenty of power for the van. The Relion batteries have a BMS (battery monitor system) and will protect themselves from charging in colder conditions and have shut all my power down (both AC and DC) on one occasion. If that happens, you will not have power to the van. If you can try your generator on a warmer day and it works as expected would bet that is your problem.
Old 01-29-2023, 02:21 AM   #12

THOR #28929
Quote:
Is the outside temperature where you are lower than 41degrees F when hooking up the generator? If so and you have the Lithium batteries that "could" be the problem. I have had similar problems when running my factory installed Onan 2800i. The 3200 watt generator should be plenty of power for the van. The Relion batteries have a BMS (battery monitor system) and will protect themselves from charging in colder conditions and have shut all my power down (both AC and DC) on one occasion. If that happens, you will not have power to the van. If you can try your generator on a warmer day and it works as expected would bet that is your problem.
Thank you !! It’s 42 degrees - I think we are going to take it to camping world in the morning to see if we are doing something wrong.
We just feel we needed an extra generator is necessary because we couldn’t make it over an hour and a half with heat or HVAC Without completely draining our batteries
Old 01-29-2023, 02:27 AM   #13

THOR #26907
At 42 degrees F you are right at the threshhold for the Relion batteries to go to heat mode first, then charge etc. When that happens, there can be delays in the ability of the generator to work as expected. At least that is what happened to mine.
There has been some speculation that when this happens, the batteries will not allow power to run through the inverter as you would expect. If you can try this perhaps tomorrow when temperatures are a little higher, you will have your answer. This is the data directly from the Relion battery data sheet:

HEATING ELEMENT SPECIFICATIONS
Heating Temperature Range -4 to 41 ºF (-20 to 5 ºC)
Heating time- Approximately 1 hr @ 10 A

The other thing you should probably confirm is if your Balmar display is lit up and working normally ( showing voltage). If not, you can try and hold down the button near the drivers seat for 5 seconds to connect the two battery banks (coach and chassis). It is labeled "emergency start". If that corrects the problem, your Balmar display will light up and show voltage. Thor's explanation for this is that the procedure will "wake up" your batteries.

Then try and reconnect the generator.

I am assuming with these instructions you are in a Tellaro or Sequence with the Promaster configuration as well as Relion batteries.

There is a video of this procedure posted by another user at:

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...old-33225.html

Good Luck!
Old 01-29-2023, 01:12 PM   #14

THOR #28929
Quote:
At 42 degrees F you are right at the threshhold for the Relion batteries to go to heat mode first, then charge etc. When that happens, there can be delays in the ability of the generator to work as expected. At least that is what happened to mine.
There has been some speculation that when this happens, the batteries will not allow power to run through the inverter as you would expect. If you can try this perhaps tomorrow when temperatures are a little higher, you will have your answer. This is the data directly from the Relion battery data sheet:

HEATING ELEMENT SPECIFICATIONS
Heating Temperature Range -4 to 41 ºF (-20 to 5 ºC)
Heating time- Approximately 1 hr @ 10 A

The other thing you should probably confirm is if your Balmar display is lit up and working normally ( showing voltage). If not, you can try and hold down the button near the drivers seat for 5 seconds to connect the two battery banks (coach and chassis). It is labeled "emergency start". If that corrects the problem, your Balmar display will light up and show voltage. Thor's explanation for this is that the procedure will "wake up" your batteries.

Then try and reconnect the generator.

I am assuming with these instructions you are in a Tellaro or Sequence with the Promaster configuration as well as Relion batteries.

There is a video of this procedure posted by another user at:

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...old-33225.html

Good Luck!
Thanks you sooooooo much!!
Old 01-29-2023, 02:06 PM   #15

THOR #26907
You are welcome! We are all learning about these vans as we have issues so this board has been a big benefit to me as well. Unfortunately, most of what is posted here is due to problems people have had with these in the past and Thor did not totally consider much of this when they started selling them. Please let us know what you find out on the generator and am sure you will get it sorted out.