Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2022, 01:33 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #25702
AC overloads generator

Tranquility 19L with lithium power. Unless the battery is @ 100% , the AC overloads the 3500 Dual Fuel Champion generator. Tried with inverter on and inverter off. Refrigerator on, no microwave or other appliances operating. Shouldn’t there be ample power with this generator to run the AC and battery charge at once? Doesn’t overload at start up, takes a couple minutes before it happens. Thanks RS

Old 08-21-2022, 09:53 AM   #2

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyray 992 View Post
Tranquility 19L with lithium power. Unless the battery is @ 100% , the AC overloads the 3500 Dual Fuel Champion generator. Tried with inverter on and inverter off. Refrigerator on, no microwave or other appliances operating. Shouldn’t there be ample power with this generator to run the AC and battery charge at once? Doesn’t overload at start up, takes a couple minutes before it happens. Thanks RS
The overload most likely is happening when the compressor starts after the delay on power up. The inrush on the compressor can be very high momentarily and if the charger is running at full that might be enough to exceed the generator maximum current rating. Maybe your air conditioner has a problem and the head pressure is high causing more current on compressor start up than would be on a properly working unit. Have the air conditioner coils cleaned and maybe a soft-start unit installed.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 12:43 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
We have a 3500 Champion on race car trailer that we run RV off of at track. RV has 15k A/C and 3500 will struggle if house batteries are low. Whenever starting gen in am after being off all night in cool weather, I let run to bring house batts up then start A/C. Initial converter amp draw can be high with low batteries.

This is never issue with on board Onan. Champion is 6 years old and has likely 4000 hrs +. It is much cheaper to run than onan.

I have had to adjust govenorr linkage a couple tomes to bring voltage up. Time caises springs in linkage to weaken. I also keep linkages lubed.
Old 08-21-2022, 01:00 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
We have a 3500 Champion on race car trailer that we run RV off of at track. RV has 15k A/C and 3500 will struggle if house batteries are low. Whenever starting gen in am after being off all night in cool weather, I let run to bring house batts up then start A/C. Initial converter amp draw can be high with low batteries.

This is never issue with on board Onan. Champion is 6 years old and has likely 4000 hrs +. It is much cheaper to run than onan.

I have had to adjust govenorr linkage a couple tomes to bring voltage up. Time caises springs in linkage to weaken. I also keep linkages lubed.
The governor controls frequency. There's a voltage regulator in the power head that controls voltage.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 01:53 PM   #5

State: California
THOR #25702
Thank you all. It does seem the batteries don’t have to be @ complete charge for the generator to keep up . Maybe 90. + or -. I always start up with the fan at first then switch to AC. Runs fine on fan. Everything is only 8 months old and AC has minimal use. Thanks for the advice. ����
Old 08-21-2022, 06:48 PM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Are you running the generator on propane or gas? Propane mode delivers about 20% less output of the generator versus running it on gasoline. Check the spark plug on the generator and make sure it's not in the "economy" mode. I use two of these (3400 gas models) and never had an issue running a single 15K A/C with either if them. I can parallel them and run two 15K's.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 08:31 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
I am gonna go with Muggs, by coincidence what OP has described is exactly what happened to me this weekend.

I have a 3500 external generator. I was wanting to run it this weekend to cool down the coach while I clean windows inside.

My RV had been sitting without shorepower for 2 weeks despite have a 50 amp pedestal 5 ft away.

I wanted to use my portable 3500 and NOT shorepower and NOT on board Onan 5500. I wanted to work the portable generator.

Every thing started off right, my inside panel showed a load of 5 amps. I am sure it was the converter charging the batteries. But when I put the AC on, it would cut off the power as it was surging to 27 amps or so.

So leaving AC off; when converter finish charging the batteries, I could run one AC and the fridge with no issue (converter too for that matter; but now in the background and not full surge).

So I conclude it is not so much batteries being low and can't help the generator, but because the batteries are low, it requires a load (from converter) that makes it hard to get pass the initial startup for AC.

The only way to fix may be to add a soft start or just ensure the batteries are fully charged or converter off before attempting to start an AC.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 09:15 PM   #8

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
The governor controls frequency. There's a voltage regulator in the power head that controls voltage.
As may be but none of my last couple generators got that memo. When I hear gen struggling on A/C only startup, I check output voltage, usually low. Using the supplied adjustment, tweak back to decent range.

The 3500 will not start 15k a/c if converter pulling high load, racecar charger running or car cooling fan. Wife fully versed on handling loads on small gen.