Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2023, 10:57 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Rize
State: Alabama
THOR #28054
Added Two Downflow Vents to A/C Shroud

The A/C works great in my Thor Rize. However, the main vents direct the airflow straight into the shelf above the driver and passenger seats and into the bathroom. The two downflow vents, though, are great so I added two more downflow vents and turned the main vents off. At a senior age and no experience with drilling holes, this project was remarkably easy.

Couldn’t find downflow vents to match the existing two downflow vents, even after two RV dealers also looked for the vents. So next option was to buy the shroud cover. I found an exact match reasonably priced at A&A Auto Stores. Note that the A&A shroud has two holes, but when you look at your existing shroud you will see yours also has same two holes covered by foam on one side and a new label on the outside. Cost $31.99 + $18 shipping unless you can pickup at a nearby A&A Auto Stores.

https://www.aaautostores.com/product...--CLM9470-4231

Next I bought a 3” hole cutter from Harbor Freight for $14.99. Has everything for attaching to drill. Be sure to tighten the drill bit with the included Allen wrench otherwise you get wobble and the drill can fall out, lol. Cuts easily and cleanly through the plastic shroud, but might have to slightly lift repeatedly if it gets stuck and stops spinning. Reversing also helped.

https://www.harborfreight.com/34-in-...-pc-57524.html

Remove the shroud cover in your Thor Rize by removing the air filters and unscrewing the four screws. The two downflow vents have four little clips that hold it in place, just press in two clips, push down enough to clear the rim and do the same with the other two clips and it pops outs.

I practiced two hole drills on the new shroud cover and then drilled the two new holes on the existing shroud cover. I drilled from the outside of the shroud, not from the foam inside.