Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-23-2022, 02:15 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tellaro 20L
State: Arizona
THOR #15205
Beware of this now more common dealer scam

Hi all,

I decided to wipe this post because I probably wasn't clear in my rendition of the story. I appreciate the feedback.

Old 12-23-2022, 02:22 PM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Why did you decide to take it to the dealer for service?! They are in business to sell things and only do service because they have to. They actually would prefer you go away after the sale and never bother them again! You’ll be much happier if you take it to an independent repair shop whose in the business of keeping you happy. Also the vacuum breakers are notorious for failure like that. The replacement is likely to do it as well. On my last several coaches I have simply bypassed mine before I ever used it. I understand the code reason for it but there is zero chance for a contamination problem without it so I opt for a simplified system that keeps water out of my walls in the first place.
Old 12-23-2022, 02:26 PM   #3

THOR #15205
If you can find an reputable independent service center that will honor your Thor warranty.
Old 12-23-2022, 02:30 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Dealer told you up front 2 weeks.

I don’t see a scam there. The dealer told you 2 weeks and it sounds like it was done in two weeks.

Sounds like you’re trying to get priority service over other customers, now that would be a scam.
Old 12-23-2022, 02:35 PM   #5

THOR #15205
WHAT!?!?!? with all due respect.

The scam was trying to tell me it was the whole vacuum unit and ripping up my coach.....instead of the little screw hole it really was. It was only 2 weeks because I confronted the kid about running me around.

Is that what you got from what I said? That I was trying to scam expedited service???

I don't appreciate being publicly accused of a scam.
Old 12-23-2022, 02:59 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg0603 View Post
WHAT!?!?!? with all due respect.

The scam was trying to tell me it was the whole vacuum unit and ripping up my coach.....instead of the little screw hole it really was. It was only 2 weeks because I confronted the kid about running me around.

Is that what you got from what I said? That I was trying to scam expedited service???
Thank you for editing the initial post to make your point clear.

Note: just because the found a screw in the inlet hose doesn’t mean they could see it without removing the cabinets.

Often times we think things should be obvious to someone else when they are not, and believe me when I say that I am no fan of dealer service departments or the inexperienced folks they hire as service writers. Also, oftentimes, I’ve found, the service writers can’t accurately relay information from the service tech to the customer. Numerous time I have asked to talk to the techs themselves.

BTW, Service Managers are even worse than Service Writers.
Old 12-23-2022, 03:24 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Took the coach in for a warranty list, gratefully no show stoppers .....

but the big one was the black tank flush was leaking fresh water from the garden hose down the back of the bathroom storage.

Checked it in, kid looked it over and said plan on 2 weeks...but they had to get a good look at everything to be sure. I said ok, trying to be accommodating.

End of week one, no word on a status...have to chase the kid down.

Finally get him and it's "Oh, the tech identified a leaking vacuum breaker thing behind the bathroom cupboards. But it's incorrectly mounted too high to get to through the normal opening, so we're going to have to pull your cupboards and part of the bathroom to replace it. We're waiting on Thor to approve the extra time needed to do this".

Of course I'm pretty dang worried about that being done right, and say that.... but I say Ok.

End of week two, no word on a status.....have to chase the kid down..still trying to be nice. Incredibly.....he repeats the EXACT same status he gave me the week before.

I say "OH C'MON MAN..." and go from there for a while.

Then he says "I was actually going to get with the tech today, so let me call you back". I say OK, with no intention of letting him get strike 3 on that.

Next day I call him. "Oh yeah I was just going to call you..... I spoke with the tech and he actually found the inlet hose to the vacuum thing had a screw hole in it. He was able to reach and fix that and it wasn't the vacuum thing after all. "

You see the scam. All these dealers are doing that. So the moral is don't be too nice if something sounds fishy. Don't let them think you will wait on whatever it is they want to do.

This marked the second really bad service experience with this dealer, but they are huge.

To be clear....The scam is trying to get Thor to replace the vacuum unit and rip up my coach.....when it really was just a little screw hole in a hose. I thought that was obvious in my post and I apologize if it wasn't.
To be honest, I had trouble following what the scam was and very glad you added your last paragraph to make it clear.

Otherwise I thought your experience was a good one. I highlighted your words that stood out to me and it is basis for my thought.

In my view, you may have had a previous very legitimate bad experience and from outset you were suspect of the Service Writer? You started pressing at 1 week; when he said to plan for two weeks but they need time to be sure.

You also seemed to fault them because they shared openly with you everything during their diagnosis, the fact that the Tech shared with the Service Writer his initial thought with you before finalizing; could show they were trying to accommodate you? It is very possible Thor told them where and how the fix; thus Thor being involved in the process to fix? Think a Check Engine light DTC Code, it may suggest 5 possible issues and one could be very costly, but until troubleshooting is finalized it may only be a simple fix.

With all that said, I don't trust Dealer's, especially Thor Dealers that I worked with. But my experience with two Dealers of a brand new coach I bought was a 10+. 1 Dealer did the Sale, and prepared & resolved EVERYTHING before or during PDI. A second Dealer did all warranty work later identified. I only had one year warranty, but the last work they did on coach was 1 years and 4 months AFTER warranty had ended!!! Since then I have only had one issue and I used a local Mobile Tech who came to my house to fix the coach.

If I had to cite a negative by the 2nd Dealer, it would have been they had coach for 6 weeks during one stretch, but it was Covid peak; and they only had one service guy at the time. They were selling RVs for twice the price and their focus was in fact on what they call honeymooners.

The ends justifies the mean, if it were me, I would call that Service Writer to tell him thanks for getting issue resolved in two weeks and for him and the Tech to have Merry Christmas. I think you got something going, because I believe they respect you or at least took care of you
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 04:10 PM   #8

THOR #15205
Well, I apologize I must have been much less clear than I thought. I certainly accept the opinions people had when reading. I appreciate the feedback.

Anyway, thanks to all and I agree 100% about the dealerships.
Old 12-23-2022, 06:03 PM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Well, I apologize I must have been much less clear than I thought. I certainly accept the opinions people had when reading. I appreciate the feedback.

Anyway, thanks to all and I agree 100% about the dealerships.
Merry Christmas
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote