Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2021, 05:50 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #22773
BMPro tablet battery died

I am getting ready for my next adventure in my Thor Sanctuary. I turned on the main power and the BMPro screen did not come on. I then tried to wake it using the deep sleep procedure ... still nothing. The buttons on the bottom of the screen still worked, it is just that the screen itself would not come on.

Next I checked the connection, everything looked good.

Just by chance I decided to plug in my RV using the 30amp cord connected to my 110v dog bone. 10 minutes later the BMpro screen came on and the little battery indicator (top right corner) was at 1% ... so I guess my BMPro battery somehow died. The battery then started to slow climb in percentage. Has this happened to anyone else?

Old 12-23-2021, 06:19 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Are you saying that this is an internal battery to the BMPro? Mine is powered by the coach's DC system- 2021 Axis.

David
Old 12-24-2021, 03:32 AM   #3

Model: Sanctuary 19P
State: Michigan
THOR #23950
If you shut off the main DC disconnect, that shuts off the external power charging the BMPro, so like any tablet it will keep running until its battery is depleted. It should shut itself down cleanly when the battery reaches a critical level so it should not cause a problem but it will need external power to restart. It's not your reconnection of AC but rather your switching the DC back on that feeds it.

I keep my van plugged in to AC power and never shut off DC unless I'm doing maintenance so haven't had this problem but it's expected behavior if DC is shut off for a while.
Old 12-24-2021, 04:12 AM   #4

THOR #22773
Jay, That could be it as I have had the DC switch off for a few weeks now but I did the same thing with my Tellaro and the battery never went dead. If you leave the DC power switch on, the refrigerator will stay on as well and could drain the battery. Here in FL, the solar charge system does prevents that from happening. I thought these system went into a deep sleep after 48 hours.
Old 12-24-2021, 12:18 PM   #5

THOR #22773
Yes the internal battery to the BMPro. It appear that if I shut off the main power switch / battery disconnect that the BMPro battery will eventually die. I guess it kinda makes since but it took 10 minutes to charge enough to even come on once I turn the main power back on ... that part is a little weird for me.
Old 12-24-2021, 01:09 PM   #6

THOR #20289
Hmm!!!

When I disconnect the DC power switch on my 2021 Thor Axis, the BMPro immediately goes blank, and nothing is on or responds to touch. Whether I leave the power off for a few minutes or a month or more, the BMPro does what looks like a cold boot when I reconnect power. That implies to me that there is no internal battery.

In other words, it is acting like a desk top computer when you pull the plug.

And I am not sure why it would need an internal battery to function properly. It can't do anything if the RVMasterNode (the switching relay panel) doesn't have power, so what good is a battery.

David
Old 12-25-2021, 03:22 AM   #7

THOR #22773
I find it a bit weird as well. My 2021 Thor Tellaro behaved as you described but my 2022 Thor Sanctuary has a different BMPro and does have an internal battery.
Old 12-25-2021, 04:19 PM   #8

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37K
State: Virginia
THOR #12448
My father-in-law recently tool delivery of a Sanctuary 20L. When the 12V is turned off, the tablet shuts down normally shortly thereafter. I haven’t timed it, but it seems like 30 seconds, give or take. If it dies immediately upon turning off the coach’s 12V, that seems wrong, but maybe they added just enough battery in newer units to allow it to shut down normally because they were previously having problems with it dying immediately, if that was by design.

One oddity about his unit is that it doesn’t have any membrane buttons under the tablet. It took us a while to find the addendum on the BMPro website regarding how to pair the tablet without those buttons.

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/C...VAWVWIWYsm.jpg
TheDustyGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 04:34 PM   #9

THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDustyGeek View Post
My father-in-law recently tool delivery of a Sanctuary 20L. When the 12V is turned off, the tablet shuts down normally shortly thereafter. I haven’t timed it, but it seems like 30 seconds, give or take. If it dies immediately upon turning off the coach’s 12V, that seems wrong, but maybe they added just enough battery in newer units to allow it to shut down normally because they were previously having problems with it dying immediately, if that was by design..
I think that explains it. On my 2021 Axis, it shuts down cold when power is disconnected and takes almost a minute to do a cold reboot when power is restored. BMPro must have subsequently added a small battery to make the transition quicker.

How long does yours take to restart when power is restored. If it is only a second or two, like when a laptop is in sleep mode, that probably explains it.

Edit:

Another thought. Even with a battery to keep it alive in sleep mode, it won't last forever. There must be some small parasitic load in sleep mode. When that finally discharges the battery, it probably totally shuts down.

Why yours is so hard to restart once power is restored is a puzzler. Maybe you had to let it sit for a while with the power restored to recharge the battery enough.

All in all, I like my no battery BMPro better. I can live with a minute to restart.

David
Old 12-25-2021, 05:18 PM   #10

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
2020 vegas 12v off bmpro completely shuts down
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 05:19 PM   #11

THOR #20220
If you ever have issues or NOT thor will ship you a new one. We keep one as backup..so that we are covered under warranty. Also do your software updates
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 12-25-2021, 07:08 PM   #12

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37K
State: Virginia
THOR #12448
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
I think that explains it. On my 2021 Axis, it shuts down cold when power is disconnected and takes almost a minute to do a cold reboot when power is restored. BMPro must have subsequently added a small battery to make the transition quicker.

How long does yours take to restart when power is restored. If it is only a second or two, like when a laptop is in sleep mode, that probably explains it.
It’s a full power off. When you turn the disconnect, after a short delay, it starts powering off just as if you had initiated it like on a normal Android tablet (which is exactly what it is if you remove it from the holder). So, the startup is a full startup from cold. I think they key here is whether it’s powering down gracefully (takes 10-15 seconds) or just dying the second power is removed.

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/C...VAWVWIWYsm.jpg
TheDustyGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 03:45 AM   #13

THOR #22773
My BMPro does shut down once the power is off. I am guessing that I still have something drawing power on the BMpro even after I shut down the main power. I'll be doing a couple of test to better understand what's happening.
Old 12-26-2021, 05:43 PM   #14

State: California
THOR #25047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
If you ever have issues or NOT thor will ship you a new one. We keep one as backup..so that we are covered under warranty. Also do your software updates

Did you call Thor directly? Having a backup while under warranty is a good idea!
Old 12-26-2021, 10:56 PM   #15

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamccormick View Post
Did you call Thor directly? Having a backup while under warranty is a good idea!
Yes and mention something like my temp keeps resetting or something and get a new one
Old 08-01-2023, 02:16 PM   #16

State: Georgia
THOR #28179
Quote:
Yes and mention something like my temp keeps resetting or something and get a new one
The tablet in our 2 yr old Tellaro just died. Took it down and tried to charge it directly. No dice. Dead. Did your tablet actually die or did you just anticipate an issue and asked for a new one?
Old 08-01-2023, 04:26 PM   #17

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBanville View Post
The tablet in our 2 yr old Tellaro just died. Took it down and tried to charge it directly. No dice. Dead. Did your tablet actually die or did you just anticipate an issue and asked for a new one?
Anytime I have a problem, I always ask for a new device.
AC was a problem, so requested new device even though I knew software update needed
Old 08-01-2023, 04:38 PM   #18

THOR #28179
Quote:
Anytime I have a problem, I always ask for a new device.
AC was a problem, so requested new device even though I knew software update needed
Did your tablet actually die or did you just anticipate an issue and ask for a new one? It sounded like you said you got a new one and a spare.
Old 08-10-2023, 07:26 AM   #19

Model: 2022 Sanctuary
State: Florida
THOR #26179
Our BMpro RV master screen only shows black with the BM Pro logo popping up once in a while , the web sight info on their trouble shooting reads that if it doesn't start up after recharging the internal battery or waking it up , it needs to be replaced & of course they want you to contact Thor or a RV dealer .

I will contact Thor , but I'll bet they will tell me to go to a Thor dealer for replacement , which is not going happen unless they will replace it under warranty , but I'll bet that it won't be covered , I tried to look for warranty info for the 1 1/2 year old unit , but the warranty info is not too precise on how long the warranty is & TMC warranty does not cover any appliances or equipment installed by them .

So , not good enough to have all the Inverter issues I have had , but now the coach management system monitor is junk , lucky I have the Nodes blue toothed from my phone.

I guess I'll start looking for a another brand management system now .
Old 08-10-2023, 02:45 PM   #20

THOR #28179
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthgear View Post
Our BMpro RV master screen only shows black with the BM Pro logo popping up once in a while , the web sight info on their trouble shooting reads that if it doesn't start up after recharging the internal battery or waking it up , it needs to be replaced & of course they want you to contact Thor or a RV dealer .

I will contact Thor , but I'll bet they will tell me to go to a Thor dealer for replacement , which is not going happen unless they will replace it under warranty , but I'll bet that it won't be covered , I tried to look for warranty info for the 1 1/2 year old unit , but the warranty info is not too precise on how long the warranty is & TMC warranty does not cover any appliances or equipment installed by them .

So , not good enough to have all the Inverter issues I have had , but now the coach management system monitor is junk , lucky I have the Nodes blue toothed from my phone.

I guess I'll start looking for an another brand management system now .
Our tablet doesn't work if it doesn't stay plugged in constantly. Te battery charges, but dies immediately. I took it out of the wall mount and plugged into a large ecoflow battery to keep running things until we get Thor to send us a new tablet. Tablet is probably fine. Just a bad battery. I opened up the tablet and installing a new one would require a little soldering. Too bad it doesn't use a plug.