Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2022, 12:43 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Wisconsin
THOR #27874
What's the best hitch cargo setup

Looking for advice/experience with hitch mounted cargo carriers, preferably lockable in some way; powder coated steel, aluminum?

Between Amazon, Northern Tool, Harbor Freight...way too many options, hard to choose.

For golf clubs, camping chairs, propane fire pit, water, other toys, need either something on the hitch or a trailer. Trying to avoid the trailer for now.

I'm moving the Thule roof rack to the front, and will probably put the clubs on both sides of the Winegard and A/C. It's just all the other stuff.

Probably won't use the bike rack that much for now. I'm planning folding it down and on using it to tie down camping chairs.

But, that still leaves a ton of stuff we (strike that wife) needs.

Ron

2023 Thor Tellaro 20L 200Amp Reliable -no generator
RonRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 03:06 PM   #2

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Nevada
THOR #27334
I think you're going to need to deep dive into each option you find, figure out what trade offs work for YOU.

IMO there is no such thing as 'Best', and asking for that will get you a ton of opinions that work for other people...
widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 06:58 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Look at Etrailer.com and type in hitch cargo carrier for many options. I had one for several years and added tail/brake lights(kit) as well as a locking container that I attached to the cargo carrier. Mine was rated at 500 pounds which made it very strong. When I sold that coach, I sold the cargo carrier/box set up. I was able to add storage space with the large locking box. Reese makes a good one and I believe it is under $300 for the cargo carrier (box not included). I just remembered the brand I had was Rolo.

Paul
Old 09-07-2022, 07:26 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Mine is aluminum from Northern Tool...there are tons of them out there in all shapes and sizes. The locking pins to lock into the 2" receiver can be bought anywhere. Use the "looped end" cables and padlocks for the cargo. Find the one you like and make sure everything you wish to carry will fit on it. The only time you will need additional lights or "red flags" is if the rearmost part of the "load" is 6' or more from the surface of your taillights.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 10:10 PM   #5

THOR #27874
That's good stuff.

After looking at a few of these Etrailer and Northern, I see the issue with the tail lights. Looks like I might have 12" above the hitch. The second issue is opening the doors., that might require the swing out style hitch.

Ron
Old 10-04-2022, 05:05 PM   #6
MCP

Model: Tellaro 20k
State: Arizona
THOR #27962
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRM View Post
That's good stuff.

After looking at a few of these Etrailer and Northern, I see the issue with the tail lights. Looks like I might have 12" above the hitch. The second issue is opening the doors., that might require the swing out style hitch.

Ron
I haven't used it yet but on my Tellaro 20k I have a swing away type enclosed box. It is the CargoMax by Stowaway2. It has lights and license bracket. If you were to order it, be sure to follow their guidelines. That is, accurately measure distance from receiver to bottom of doors and also plug in your vehicle info. I foolishly "guessed" at the dimension not realizing there was a standard swing away frame and also a low rise. Promaster needs low rise for door clearance. Missed it by an inch!! I ended up returning the frame portion and replacing it with the correct low rise. Costly error, shipping and restocking.

Also, I'm adding sewer hose storage to the front of the box (between box and van doors). It will allow storage of a real sewer hose with fittings on both ends rather than the floppy single fitting hose in the tellaro's side compartment.

Mike
Old 10-04-2022, 11:50 PM   #7

THOR #27874
@MCP - I was looking at those, I noticed the warning...'This won't work on a Promaster' on one of their used units (probably the one you returned).

I saw the order form asks for dimensions...thanks for the heads-up.

I'm still conflicted...SwingAway, saw something called a Komo Carrier (out of CA), the flat cargo carrier style, strap stuff to the bike rack...

I think I'm going to head out on a 3weeker and figure out how much stuff I miss or not have room for.

Ron
Old 10-05-2022, 12:28 AM   #8

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
You also need to take into account the weight of the carrier and loaded cargo. A class V hitch can handle roughly 500 lbs of weight. I have seen some folks rolling down the highway with questionable loads on the hitch carrier.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 12:35 AM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
You also need to take into account the weight of the carrier and loaded cargo. A class V hitch can handle roughly 500 lbs of weight. I have seen some folks rolling down the highway with questionable loads on the hitch carrier.
Quote:
CLASS V
Class V hitches are weight carrying (WC) and weight distributing (WD) hitches depending on the vehicle and hitch specifications.
Class V hitches used as weight carrying are rated up to 12,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 1200 lbs.
The vehicle manufacturer may place a lower rating on the vehicle hitch tongue weight, but Class V hitches are rated at 1,200 lbs tongue weight.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote