Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2022, 12:14 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #26340
Carefree Awning

I have a 2021 Thor B+ Gemini. When I tried using the Carefree Awning all of the lag screws on top of the right side (motor side) pulled away from the motor home. This happened when trying to extend the awning it appears the when it was fully extended the motor kept going and then the lag screws pulled away and the awning was left with the right side sagging. What detects that the awning it fully extended and what might cause this problem?

Old 07-31-2022, 12:41 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
With my carefree awning, I have to watch the roller tube as it extends. There is a “Stop” sticker that appears when fully extended. I also have to hold the extend button the whole time. It does not stop automatically. I was told it reverse rolls if not stopped. But have never tried to see if that is true.
Old 08-01-2022, 10:17 AM   #3

THOR #26340
Thanks for the reply. My awning extended automatically in the past and stopped when fully extended. But now it just seems to keep going once it is fully extended. Not sure why? I plan on calling Carefree Colorado and see if they can help me out.
Old 08-01-2022, 12:27 PM   #4

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
All three of my awnings only extend when pressing the switch

I wouldn't like the auto type
Old 08-03-2022, 10:56 AM   #5

THOR #26340
The bracket was not supported by any backing only screwed into the fiberglass. I used COBRA ANCHORS FlipToggle 425S Flip Toggle Bolts in three of the four top mounting holes to secure the bracket to the motor home. My issue has now been resolved.
Old 08-04-2022, 10:26 AM   #6

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
The bracket was not supported by any backing only screwed into the fiberglass. I used COBRA ANCHORS FlipToggle 425S Flip Toggle Bolts in three of the four top mounting holes to secure the bracket to the motor home. My issue has now been resolved.
Nice fix! Thanks for sharing. Happy travels.
Old 08-04-2022, 11:06 AM   #7

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post

While I was just going over my Magnitude I notice two of the top awning mount bolts were loose. Looks like they were stripped from the factory.... no surprise since the gorillas at Thor have their impact guns on max torque when tightening screws and bolts that are too small through material that is too thin and weak.

When I was cleaning the awning I could actually see the backing plate was bending from the weight and the top two lag screws not being tight and supporting the weight.

I have been contemplating the best way to fix it and I was thinking about toggles. I just didn't know if there would be enough room to get them open onced pushed through the wall. I was going to drill out the plate to 5/16" and use bigger stainless steel lag bolts vs the crappy zinc lags they used but the toggle would be a better fix.

I'm just not sure if my coach will have enough room for it to open in my structure and I have to make sure I can drill 1/2" hole without coming through the inside wall.

Thanks for the tip! I might go this route instead now.