Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2022, 05:33 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Wisconsin
THOR #27874
Drive Away Awnings

I just happened across a YT video of a drive away awning for #vanlife. I bit more research found these models and manufacturers:

Vango Galli iii
Galli ii compact
Camen Khysn
Coleman
Dometic UK
Rally air all season 330 d/a
Outdoor Revolution
Movelite T2

It looks like a cool idea to expand living area, especially the ones that have inflatable supports.

They go up like a tent and there is a 'tunnel' that attaches to the van; either straps over the roof or to the actual awning track.

Problem is that I've only been able to find them out of the UK. I'm sure someone will ship them. They are not exactly cheap, $1000 on up. Taking a chance ordering and then not having it fit or its a total POS, is a bit unnerving. Not sure why they are basically non-existent in North America.

Anyone ever look into these or find them in the US?

Ron

2023 Thor Tellaro 20L 200Amp Reliable -no generator
RonRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 03:08 PM   #2

Model: Tellaro 20L
State: North Carolina
THOR #26907
We talked about one of those but have not looked at them seriously. Until we actually start camping again, probably would not get much use as most of our van trips have just been travel and not camping. It does sound like a nice addition however to get additional space. My wife and I are planning to actually sleep in our van for the first time (Cedar Key Fl) with our very large 110 pound Rhodesian Ridgeback. He needs all the space he can get. It will be interesting to see how it works out.
Old 01-13-2023, 01:00 AM   #3

State: Florida
THOR #28560
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...saAr11EALw_wcB
Old 01-13-2023, 02:31 PM   #4

THOR #27874
Saw that one.

Problem with it, I think that's the one where the 'roof' is the awning on the rig...can't drive away too easily.

The other thing, what happens when the wind picks up...getting all that stuff off the awning before it gets ripped off the side of the rig...that would be fun.

The Europeans have the stuff that is more or less independent of the van, can connect in the awning track (but doesn't need the awning for it's roof) or straps over the top just for the van-tent connection.

I'm kinda amazed that those haven't caught on here. Maybe there are too many campground restrictions for 'additional tents', dunno.

Ron
Old 01-13-2023, 03:09 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRM View Post
Saw that one.

Problem with it, I think that's the one where the 'roof' is the awning on the rig...can't drive away too easily.

The other thing, what happens when the wind picks up...getting all that stuff off the awning before it gets ripped off the side of the rig...that would be fun.

The Europeans have the stuff that is more or less independent of the van, can connect in the awning track (but doesn't need the awning for it's roof) or straps over the top just for the van-tent connection.

I'm kinda amazed that those haven't caught on here. Maybe there are too many campground restrictions for 'additional tents', dunno.

Ron
Could be folks with smaller van style units tend to move more than sit and don’t want the additional setup and take down required. Most B owners I know also use their rig for in and around transportation when the go somewhere and don’t tow anything for local transportation.
Old 01-13-2023, 03:52 PM   #6

THOR #27874
Yep, that's true...that's our style. I'll pull out the A and hook up the Jeep if I'm going to stay for a week or so.

Staying in the B, yep move more often. I think it's a necessity, for my sanity and marriage alone, to move often. The thing has less space than the bedroom in the A. But it's so convenient for all manner of other reasons.

Then there are those times when we take off to the desert with the telescopes and cameras and we want to stay for a couple of nights. It would be nice to have some extension for the living area. The Clam pop-up thingies look promising, as a second choice to the drive away's.

I'd be able to make up my mind if I could actually touch/feel/gab one of these drive away's...but that's the issue, can't find any dealers here in the US.

Ron
Old 01-13-2023, 10:02 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRM View Post

.....cut....

Ron

The closest thing I’ve seen in US for vans are the common 10X10 stand-alone canopy with a full skirt (side panels). It doesn’t connect directly to van, but I’m not sure how much value that would add anyway. I suppose it would be nice to leave van side doors open to tent/tunnel, but that may make heat and air conditioning harder when needed.

We have a 10X10 canopy without walls and rarely use it. When touring it stays home because it takes up too much room. I don’t have a good place to haul it inside van. The thing I like most about a canopy versus van awning is that it can be set up anywhere on site independent of van location. Last campsite we were at in December had level pads for tents and it would have been a great place for canopy if we had it with us. And you can drive away and return without dismantling anything. A few campers had canopies with side screens.

Also, not all campsites lend themselves to such a tent — even if allowed. There may be trees or a picnic table next to best spot for van.

T@B trailers use a similar tent/tunnel design but being a trailer there is little need for the drive-away feature, so its more like a tent extension attached to side of trailer.

I probably would not want one if it takes much space inside van, or would require storing damp at times, but would like to hear your feedback if you get one.
Old 01-14-2023, 03:26 AM   #8

THOR #27874
Yep, totally agree, if it can't strap to the bike rack, I don't want it in the van - no room as is; just 2 people and a small dog.

The Clam thing seems like a nice option, goes up and down in minutes; huge amount of space inside. It's somewhere near 6ft long for storage so I can strap it to the bike rack (rarely carry bikes).

As much as I like the drive-away, but the shortcomings are the weight, around 80lbs and bulky. I guess the wife is sold on the extended living feel. I think she loves our A.

I'm coming around to the pop-up Clam. Since I can't go and see one of the drive aways without taking a plane to the UK, that might be the right way to go.

I know if it's a pita to put up/down, I'll never use it.

I'm still getting used to the B, traveling with the bare minimum and a charge card. My A has just about everything I need to run an army and still has room to spare.

Thanks for the insight.

Ron