Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2022, 02:41 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Sanctuary 19P
State: Ontario
THOR #27108
Engine start battery draining too fast?

After 2 days of being with the engine off at a campground we see the low chassis battery warning on the BMPro monitor and on the third day the battery icon actually disappears from the monitor like if it was disconnected. Coach lithium batteries are OK as we are plugged in to shore power.

Fortunatelly, I was still able to start the engine but I could tell the battery was low.

Perhaps, while camping we open many times the doors and the console is powered on every time we do this with related battery consumption. But 2 days seem to be a short time. I think there is some other problem.

I also noticed that sometimes, while seating at the front seat reading, even without opening the doors, the MB console powers on and shows the startup screen like it does when I open the doors.

As a fix we are now disconnecting the battery every time we stop for more than a day. But this is not pleasant.

I know this may be a Mercedes issue and may not be related to Thor. Has anyone experienced something similar?

Old 12-13-2022, 04:24 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
This is a long shot, but worth checking. Do you have a Precision Circuits BIM 160 battery isolator. See the attachment for a pic and installation instructions.

It will usually be installed under the hood somewhere near the chassis battery.

Thor usually wires these backwards. The Bat A terminal should be wired to the chassis battery and the Bat B terminal wired to the coach/house battery.

That might be causing your problem.

David
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Precision Circuits BIM 160-Rev7-1.pdf (711.5 KB, 55 views)
Old 12-13-2022, 06:08 PM   #3

Model: Tellaro 20L
State: North Carolina
THOR #26907
It may be worth having the chassis battery load checked to see its condition. Any auto parts store can do that. I have purchased new vehicles before that had bad batteries (covered by warranty). You can also purchase a load check device fairly inexpensively. I have also used this inexpensive device on other car batteries and seems to work well. It is easily installed and has an app you can check easily:

https://www.amazon.com/QUICKLYNKS-Ba...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Old 12-13-2022, 06:56 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertj1961 View Post
It may be worth having the chassis battery load checked to see its condition. Any auto parts store can do that. I have purchased new vehicles before that had bad batteries (covered by warranty). You can also purchase a load check device fairly inexpensively. I have also used this inexpensive device on other car batteries and seems to work well. It is easily installed and has an app you can check easily:

https://www.amazon.com/QUICKLYNKS-Ba...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

So a $25 bluetooth voltage meter which tells him the same info on his phone that he already gets on his current system monitor?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 07:35 PM   #5

THOR #26907
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
So a $25 bluetooth voltage meter which tells him the same info on his phone that he already gets on his current system monitor?
If he can get a cranking test from his "monitor" it is much more advanced than mine.
The only information I get from my "current system monitor"(BM Pro) is battery voltage for the chassis batteries which tells nothing about the condition under load (starting).
Not like I am selling this but it has worked on other vehicles I have owned as low cost way to monitor chassis batteries with simple installation.

This device provides:
Trip Monitor
Charging Test
Cranking Test
Old 12-13-2022, 09:20 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertj1961 View Post
If he can get a cranking test from his "monitor" it is much more advanced than mine.
The only information I get from my "current system monitor"(BM Pro) is battery voltage for the chassis batteries which tells nothing about the condition under load (starting).
Not like I am selling this but it has worked on other vehicles I have owned as low cost way to monitor chassis batteries with simple installation.

This device provides:
Trip Monitor
Charging Test
Cranking Test
Bingo.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 12:26 AM   #7

Model: 2022 Sanctuary
THOR #26179
I just replaced my Chassis Battery last week on my 2022 Thor Sanctuary 19P , had the exact same issue , I too got warnings from the BMPro , with battery voltage dropping to ( at the end ) 11.6 VDC & it kept dropping even out of the Van .

I was told by MB dealer , that MB will not warranty any new Vehicle Battery , if they replace it with a new one , they will .I also added a Battery Maintainer to the Battery Terminals , so I can plug it in when camping if needed , I have it plugged in now , since I'm on SP & if I wasn't the 400AH Li system can operate it even camping if no SP .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NOCO2.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	40359   Click image for larger version

Name:	NOCO charger.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	40360  

Old 12-14-2022, 01:43 PM   #8

THOR #26907
A battery maintainer on the chassis is probably a good idea and probably should consider that. I have read on the Promaster Forums that the Dodge vans can cause the batteries to go dead within a month due to parasitic draw even with just a stock non customized van. I guess that is one reason Dodge installed the "quick disconnect" battery cable to the chassis battery. We keep our van moving at least every couple of weeks so hasn't been a problem (yet).
It seems that Dodge blames Thor whenever they can for warranty issues because of the customization. So far we have been lucky and the van problems have been minor!
Old 12-14-2022, 07:33 PM   #9

Model: 2022 Sanctuary
THOR #26179
I drive our Sprinter almost every day, its my daily driver, I do have weeks that it only gets driven one or two days out of a week ,but who knows how the Battery was treated at Thor & the Dealership & I have seen it happen to a Neighbor in his brand new Toyota Pick up , didn't last 6 months . Difference is , his was replaced under warranty . Bad new vehicle batteries are not rare .

Funny thing is , the Die Hard Battery is made in Germany & the MB factory Battery is made in the USA , I read that the 4x4's shipped to the USA were reassembled here on the USA , so maybe they didn't ship Batteries with them .
Old 12-15-2022, 01:10 AM   #10

THOR #26907
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthgear View Post
I drive our Sprinter almost every day, its my daily driver, I do have weeks that it only gets driven one or two days out of a week ,but who knows how the Battery was treated at Thor & the Dealership & I have seen it happen to a Neighbor in his brand new Toyota Pick up , didn't last 6 months . Difference is , his was replaced under warranty . Bad new vehicle batteries are not rare .

Funny thing is , the Die Hard Battery is made in Germany & the MB factory Battery is made in the USA , I read that the 4x4's shipped to the USA were reassembled here on the USA , so maybe they didn't ship Batteries with them .
Agree and I have had at least two new vehicles with bad batteries replaced under warranty but am certain that would not be the case if our van battery was bad. Ours has also been more of a "daily driver" since getting rid of a class A which we don't miss given all that goes along with it.
We are happy to be in Florida for a while near Crystal River where at least not worried about the winterization.
Old 12-26-2022, 07:18 PM   #11

Model: Palazzo 37.4
State: Texas
THOR #18397
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
This is a long shot, but worth checking. Do you have a Precision Circuits BIM 160 battery isolator. See the attachment for a pic and installation instructions.

It will usually be installed under the hood somewhere near the chassis battery.

Thor usually wires these backwards. The Bat A terminal should be wired to the chassis battery and the Bat B terminal wired to the coach/house battery.

That might be causing your problem.

David
Sir,
since the OP stated he had lithium batteries wouldn't he need the LI-BIM 225???

https://www.amazon.com/Battle-Born-B...7DY8S815&psc=1