Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2022, 11:40 AM   #2121

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Compass 23TW
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #26885
Compass 23TW Bed Bungee Strap Issue

Wondering if anyone with a Compass 23TW with the half folding bed has had the bungee strap break that holds it up? The flimsy bungee has now broken twice where the screw comes out of the wall and I can’t secure it properly to the back slider window walll to keep it from popping out. Really poor design as that wall doesn’t appear to have any substance to it to secure the bungee screw. Any thoughts or ideas? We can’t be the only folks experiencing this annoying problem… Thanks!

Old 10-17-2022, 10:22 PM   #2122

State: Tennessee
THOR #27902
To: mbbrumm: Yes. Local business is replacing our Jack knife sofa with color-coordinated fabric for $275-no more cheapskate “leather”. (2017 Gemini TR -we’re the 3rd owners).
Old 10-19-2022, 09:52 PM   #2123

State: Nevada
THOR #28284
Hi, we really liked your additional solar panels and inverter. We just bought a Compass23TW 2023 year. Would you mind sharing Brands, sizes, model#, etc? We hope to make that a winter project. Any tips or advice is welcome.
LeSharo ‘85
Soarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 10:02 PM   #2124

THOR #28284
Sorry, that was in response to PDX 24/7 post with photos of the solar on the roof. I should have checked quote msg in reply.
LeSharo ‘85
Old 10-23-2022, 03:48 AM   #2125

THOR #28284
23TW Bed Bungee Strap Fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DTwo View Post
Wondering if anyone with a Compass 23TW with the half folding bed has had the bungee strap break that holds it up? The flimsy bungee has now broken twice where the screw comes out of the wall and I can’t secure it properly to the back slider window walll to keep it from popping out. Really poor design as that wall doesn’t appear to have any substance to it to secure the bungee screw. Any thoughts or ideas? We can’t be the only folks experiencing this annoying problem… Thanks!

Our 2023 Compass 23TW was delivered with the forward bed holdback bungee pulled from the wall. While awaiting an appointment with the dealer to get it fixed, I resolved the problem with a Dorman “Wall Driller” sheetrock anchor that screwed tightly into the somewhat oversized hole where the screw had pulled out. Then I reinstalled the original screw with fitting and bungee so it looks just like it originally did. So far, it is holding firmly.

This appears to be a design fault as the wall is too weak for the screw to hold the load. My wall had two screw holes where someone had tried to fix the problem. The screw had pulled out of both.

On the other side of the bed, the bungee was damaged, probably because the forward bungee was not taking its share of the load. My wife did a temporary fix of the bungee with dental floss. When I took the fitting off to put the bungee back, I found that the screw hole was stripped. I tried to put a sheetrock anchor in this hole and discovered that the wall board had a layer of metal which is why the screw had not pulled out despite the hole being oversized. Rather than drill it out enough for a sheetrock anchor, I drilled it out slightly so a plastic wall anchor fit. The screw went back in and is tight.

PS for Thor: Please train your employees how to install screws without stripping out the screw holes. If they are using electric screwdrivers, teach them to use low torque settings. So far, I have found several stripped screw holes in our new rig.
LeSharo ‘85
Old 10-29-2022, 07:12 PM   #2126

State: Iowa
THOR #9915
Has anyone with a "post and latch" style door latch (look at your car door for an example) gone to the RVLock Atlas keyless mechanism? My 2017 TR23 on the Ford Diesel Chassis has the latch set back 1 3/8" from the edge of the door, the RVLocks specs call for at least a 2 1/4" set back.
We really want to have a Keyless/single key entry. Anyone out there with experience with this or another system?
DonB
Old 10-29-2022, 07:17 PM   #2127

THOR #9915
We purchased LED backup lights for our 2017 Gemini TR23 (Ford diesel chassis).
Hooked into the wiring harness they do not work, attached directly to the battery they are bright!
Is it a computer setting or is an inline resister or other electronic magic necessary?
I would welcome word on your experience.
DonB
Old 10-29-2022, 07:22 PM   #2128

THOR #9915
We purchased and installed recliners instead of the "jack knife" couch. Much more comfortable - and with the price of upholstery even if it lasts only a few years, it will be less expensive than reupholstery.
Old 10-29-2022, 07:27 PM   #2129

THOR #9915
Our slider hardware went bad when we were on the road. Fortunately a little muscle and my wife on the switch, we were able to get home.
Schwintech was glad to sell my mobile repairman parts. While putting it back together he showed me how the hardware had been incorrectly installed in the factory.
It might be worth having someone look at the installation to see if it is right. Ours made weird noises as well.
Good luck.
Old 10-29-2022, 07:31 PM   #2130

THOR #9915
Our 2017 did the same thing. I took the cover off the furnace and found sawdust, shavings, and trash next to the heat exchanger. A quick vacuuming took care of the problem.
I hunted through other voids and vacuumed out more sawdust and debris. Guess the factory doesn't own a vacuum cleaner/
Old 10-29-2022, 11:37 PM   #2131

State: Massachusetts
THOR #28196
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbrumm View Post
I have a 2022 Gemini 23tw that I took delivery of in May. I had a very similar experience with the heater the first time we fired it up. This was about 3 weeks after delivery when it got cold enough at night to need to heat up the coach in the morning. The odor was of oil and saw dust. The smoke alarm went off and my wife's asthma kicked in. It reminded me of the first use of a space heater in the fall. We refrained from using it till we could open all vents and windows and run the furnace for about 30 minutes with us out of the coach. We have not had a problem after this with odor. However, distribution of heat is not very good. Gets very warm in the back but takes a long time to get up to the front of the coach.
I read that the gas heater exhaust tube was not properly connected on their gemini/compass and it set of the CO alarm. Please check that tube or have your dealer verify that it is properly exhausting your heater fumes.

Bob
Old 10-29-2022, 11:55 PM   #2132

State: Massachusetts
THOR #28196
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoglecl View Post
forgot to include the quote
"I’ll start out by saying that I have been an rv’r most of my life. Owned travel trailers, motor homes and toy haulers. I do understand that the way these units are manufactured, things will inevitably go wrong . New or used, expensive or cheap. Here’s my take on our 100,000.00 Compass.
We just had our 2021 Compass delivered and received . Thor has some issues in their quality control. We know the coach was never really gone over throughly by the dealer. First issue ( actually a Ford issue) was that when we got home the slide to work it has to be in park and the hand break on. It was stopping in mid stream and the break would have to be set numerous times. Slide out, getting ready for a ride. Started putting slide in and it happened again. This time, the the handle for the p-break was flopping in the wind. I have a mechanical background and was able to remove the handle cover and release the ratchet on the handle. This problem is Ford’s and will make an appointment."

As mentioned in my previous post I have the same issue with the slider. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this I could use some help.
We had a few stops/starts with ths slide on our 21 Gemini TW. On the 2021, Engine must be off, parking brake can be set or not. Shore power or generator is required to extsnd or retract slide. Bluetooth control panel is problematic for slide operation, so use button panel at bottom of GUI touchpanel. Use right/lect arrows to select "SL" for slide, then use EXT or RET button below touchscreen to operate slide. This sends commands via wired CAN bus rather than intermittent bluetooth link - zo operation should be uninterrupted.

We have had zero problems when operating slide via these buttons.
Old 10-30-2022, 02:46 AM   #2133

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
We have a 2019 Compass 23TR. The slide goes out the back for the bedroom. It's always been noisy. This summer, the noise seemed to be getting worse - but still worked.
I took it into our RV mechanic. He poked around and found one of the slide's motor's housing was loose. There were 3 rivets that had come off. He replaced the rivets.
It still makes noise - but nothing like it was before. And I feel much better having it looked at. Sometimes it's worth it to pay a GOOD mechanic to double check - even if he finds nothing wrong it gives me peace of mind. Preventative maintenance!
As for the dealer not inspecting a new unit - We bought ours as a demo unit at an RV show. That unit had been stomped through by thousands of people. All the cabinets had been opened and shut thousands of times. All the equipment had been turned on and tested hundreds of times. By the time we got it, it was like a 2 year old used units. Things that were not right from Thor had been discovered and fixed.
I also spent 4 hours going through it at delivery.
Old 11-01-2022, 05:17 AM   #2134

THOR #28284
2023 Compass 23TW weighs 9,250 pounds

Today I weighed our 2023 Compass 23TW on the scales of a gravel company in Carson City, NV. The rig had about 18 gallons of fuel and a full propane tank along with empty water and waste tanks.

I got weights for the front axle, the rear axle, and the overall weight. The front was 3,480 pounds and the rear 5,820 pounds which adds to 9,300 pounds. The overall weight recorded on the scale was 9,360 pounds, a discrepancy of 60 pounds (less than 1%) which is actually rather small given that the scales are designed to weigh very heavy trucks.

Going with the worst case of 9,360 pounds and subtracting 113 pounds for the 18 gallons of fuel, the weight of the 23TW is under 9,250 pounds.

With full fuel of 25 gallons (158 pounds) and full fresh water of 31 gallons (248 pounds), the curb weight would be 9,650 pounds. With a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 11,000 pounds, this gives a payload of 1,350 pounds for people and their stuff.

Of interest, the sticker on the door says the maximum weight on the front axle is 4,630 pounds and the on the rear axle is 7,275 pounds for a total of 11,905 pounds. The GVWR recognizes that the weight distribution will not be exact and takes into account items like the stopping power of the brakes and other factors so 11,000 pounds should not be exceeded.

Bottom line: Assuming that our curb weight is typical, I am happy to report that owners of the 23TW should not have trouble keeping their operating weight below their GVWR.

Happy Trails,
Jim
LeSharo ‘85
Old 11-01-2022, 01:26 PM   #2135

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Actually, 1350 OCCC doesn’t seem like much to me…. Two adults would leave only 1000 lbs. toss in a couple of grand kids or a dog or two and you’ve got maybe 750-800 lbs left. It’s not as much as it seems for food, drinks, clothing and equipment. Certainly “doable” but be careful.
Old 11-01-2022, 01:29 PM   #2136

State: Virginia
THOR #25525
bed bungee

Quote:
I also have a 23tw and have added a second bungee on the right wall. I mounted it about 1inch in from the "woodwork" I have seen an owner replace the bungee with a seat belt like strap centered from the ceiling of the slide.
Old 11-02-2022, 08:02 PM   #2137

State: North Carolina
THOR #28398
Quote:
Yes my new Compass had a broken bungee cord before we bought it. They ordered a new one but I made a much stronger one myself out of a new 1/4 inch thick bungee. You need a thicker longer screw also.
Old 11-02-2022, 08:08 PM   #2138

State: North Carolina
THOR #28398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobboots99 View Post
I read that the gas heater exhaust tube was not properly connected on their gemini/compass and it set of the CO alarm. Please check that tube or have your dealer verify that it is properly exhausting your heater fumes.

Bob
I have installed a lot of RV furnaces and All new furnaces will have that smell for a long while but it will eventually go away. The first 1 or 2 times you fire up the furnace the odder is so strong that it will set off the alarm but that will not continue. If it continues to go off after 1 or 2 times of use then you may actually have a CO2 problem that needs checked out.
Old 11-05-2022, 03:23 PM   #2139

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: Washington
THOR #10643
2016 Gemini 23TR USB Stations

Hello all!

We are in the second round of both our USB stations (in the front slide and in the queen bed slide) not working at the same time. We had these replaced a few years ago but both are dead again.

When 8 USB ports in two locations all go dead at the same time, I have to assume it is not the individual ports or even the stations. In another thread on the 2016 Vegas someone posted this:

It's fused out of the DC distribution panel. I upgraded ours to 2.4 amp USB ports as the factory ones wouldn't charge DW's tablet.
Size is standard and got a 4.8 amp double off Amazon.

Can someone help me locate the fuse and explain how one would "upgrade" it? Also, if these stations can be replaced via Amazon, can someone post a link?

Thank you all very much!
Dave
Old 11-08-2022, 05:21 PM   #2140

Model: compass 23tw
State: Texas
THOR #19878
Quote:

Facebook has a Gemini/Compass Group that posted some suggestions, I'm going with the double straps, order them from AMZ.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/geminicompassowners/permalink/1072045250180628/

Has anyone opened up a wall?
Like to see where the studs are and how they are assembled.

Cheers!

Tags
cutout, dinette, modification, murphy bed, opening, wall