Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2018, 02:45 PM   #301

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Compass 23TR
State: Texas
THOR #7972
I decided to look at mine this morning and found two problems. One of the 1/4x20 screw holes was apparently cross threaded and the discharge/return air baffle poorly installed. There were three long bolts installed to the rear & one in the left front hole. I was able to run a tap through the right hole & put a screw in each corner.

I removed a wad of tape and reinstalled the baffle with no gaps. It didn’t seem like I accomplished much till I opened one of the front registers to remove a piece of foam. Everything in the dust pan came out of the duct work, including the rubber band!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DDA86E04-42EF-4680-9C26-0F958F6058D4.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	10205   Click image for larger version

Name:	0996BDA6-1558-47FB-8352-3BC5478757B9.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	10206  

Old 05-12-2018, 04:57 PM   #302

Model: Compass 23TB
State: Virginia
THOR #11030
Wow, I'll be checking on that A/C venting.
I thought I'd mention this. Brand new at home I flushed the holding tanks and a few pieces of plastic came out. No problem their but to continue, after camping and draining tanks at campground we went home and I did another flush of the tanks and behold! out came a 3 inch round black disk. Looks like black tank punch out fell into the tank.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:41 AM   #303

Model: Compass 23TK
State: Indiana
THOR #10919
fresh water drain?

Have not even filled it for the first time, but was wondering if there is a drain for the fresh water tank. 2018 23TK
Old 05-14-2018, 10:43 AM   #304

Model: 2018 Compass 23TR
State: Michigan
THOR #11426
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelChristmas View Post
I have added mud flaps to the front tires and also custom built a bumper with a bike rack that also holds the stinky slinky. Also made cab exterior window covers and fasten them on rare earth magnets, they work great. My next add will be some cab running boards. Not many good options out there, to bad Thor does not have them as stock.
ColonelChristmas, I’m new to this forum, and wondering if you could share details of your custom bumper build...I really don’t want to store the “stinky slinky” inside the pristine storage compartments of my new Compass TR23! Also, what material did you use to make the exterior window covers? And did you ever find a running board solution? Thanks for any info/pics you are willing to share!
Old 05-14-2018, 11:12 AM   #305

THOR #11426
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDC54 View Post
Hello, Everyone!
I’m new to this forum, and we recently purchased a 2018 Compass 23TR. Don’t even have possession of it yet (dealer is still working on a few small cosmetic issues), but I’ve been going through the owner’s kit, and am shocked to see how poor the provided documentation is. There are no manuals for the radio, air conditioner/heat pump, furnace, awning, or the battery/tank system monitor!

Of course I went to the Thor website, expecting to find manuals available in PDF format for download, and was surprised to find only the owner’s manual and warranty booklet for the 2017 Compass (not even the 2018 model year).

I then called customer service, and spoke with Jason, who basically said I would have to go to the specific website for each appliance, with model numbers in hand, to search out the manuals on my own. When I tried to suggest that it would be a nice service for Thor owners to have this information available online on the Thor website, it fell on deaf ears. In fact, he seemed downright irritated with me for suggesting it (I’m guessing not the first time he heard this suggestion). He did offer to send me copies of “what they usually send out with the new motor homes”, though he was pretty clear that it would probably be copies of what I already have.

I have to say I am shocked at the lack of support from Thor. My last camper was a Jayco popup which had manuals for EVERYTHING...right down to the smoke detectors!

Does anyone out there know of any other online resources where this information might be found?

Thanks!
Good morning all! Just wanted to provide some follow-up on my inital post. Thanks to JamieGeek and Mr Sunshine for your suggestions. After I posted, I was contacted by Thor customer service, and they were able to provide me with email versions of most of the manuals I was looking for! I also requested, and received the schematics for plumbing, waste, electrical systems and wall construction. The only things I am still looking for are operating manual for the KIB Industries system monitor, and instructions for the remote control for the rear-view backup camera.

After reading some of the posts on this forum, I have to say that I was impressed that Thor reached out to me. Agree with Mr Sunshine, though, that it would have been easier if the RV just came with the appropriate manuals, or if they were at least available for download on the Thor website.

We also had an issue with the “Oil Change Required” indicator light coming on as we were literally driving the rig off the dealer’s lot for the first time! Only 780 dealer miles on the unit, I suspect this is due to excessive idling time. We are scheduled for an oil change this week (dealer is paying for it!)

Thanks again...taking our Compass out for a test run this week, once the oil change is done!
Old 05-14-2018, 09:39 PM   #306

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Quote:
The only things I am still looking for are operating manual for the KIB Industries system monitor, and instructions for the remote control for the rear-view backup camera.
In case you need to contact Customer Service for the back up mirror to request a manual here is their info.

Rear View Safety
1-800-764-1028

Your model number is probably the same as mine. Model # RVS-718
I would be supprised to hear there is a manual on the KIB system monitor
Old 05-15-2018, 03:23 AM   #307

THOR #11426
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
In case you need to contact Customer Service for the back up mirror to request a manual here is their info.

Rear View Safety
1-800-764-1028

Your model number is probably the same as mine. Model # RVS-718
I would be supprised to hear there is a manual on the KIB system monitor
Thanks, mountainsam. Here’s what I got from customer service at Rear View Safety:
Old 05-15-2018, 11:09 AM   #308

THOR #11426
Rear View Safety Camera

Oops...trying again to attach a photo...thanks for your patience...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8BC66F92-4767-4EF7-A835-5AF5C0C542B8.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	10251  
Old 05-15-2018, 12:16 PM   #309

Model: 23 TR
State: Florida
THOR #10954
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgreene View Post
So....
I got curious and pulled mine apart.
Why are they recycling so much air? there is a gaping hole between inlet and outlet. waiting alot of energy
Also I had the foil tape half blocking mine also.
And why all the half fast wiring?
Kevin
Yes, the metal box will destroy the front of your condenser unit and block air flow!!!! My unit is not working now and the problem is pointed at the control board. They think it was something to do with the wiring bouncing around this area caused a short!!!
Leaving for a vacation of one week with no air conditioning. I open the top and quick tied this box and wiring to the screws inside. There is enough room for all of this to fit if the time was taken to do this one important step!!!
Old 05-15-2018, 10:13 PM   #310

THOR #6701
Thanks RDC54,

I had not seen that before. I just kind a stumbled around with it and still dont know how true mine is adjusted.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:18 PM   #311

THOR #6701
A huge question for Gemini and Compass owners. Is it necessary to put the RV on a lift to check the oil on the generator? I can't crawl under because I would never be able to crawl out and there are no access doors?
Old 05-15-2018, 10:32 PM   #312

THOR #7972
Although I haven’t changed the generator oil & filters yet I did crawl under my 23TR to see how to do it. I had to use a couple of floor jacks & jack stands to unload the springs enough get vertical room to work. Also used a piece of cardboard to slide on rather than a wheeled creeper. As always working under these things, safety safety safety! Never put oneself in a single point failure situation.
It would definitely be easier on a lift or over a pit.
Hugh
Old 05-15-2018, 10:53 PM   #313

THOR #6701
Thanks Hugh,
That’s about what I figured. That makes it a little tough to check the oil every 8 hours. And I assume it requires removing a cover?
Old 05-16-2018, 01:18 AM   #314

Model: compass 23tw
THOR #7466
changed oil in mine.never found a filter
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:47 AM   #315

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari View Post
changed oil in mine.never found a filter
I just found the manual for it on line. It shows no oil filter, only air filter.
https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...QG4000_Man.pdf
Old 05-16-2018, 03:34 AM   #316

THOR #10919
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
I just found the manual for it on line. It shows no oil filter, only air filter.
https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...QG4000_Man.pdf
Thanks for link. Been building up my data base of manuals for for my 2017 23TK. Forgot about looking up one for the generator.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:38 AM   #317

THOR #10919
Location of inverter?

Where is the 120VAC to 12 VDC converter located on the newer compass models?
Old 05-16-2018, 11:28 AM   #318

Model: 23 TR
State: Florida
THOR #10954
Quote:
Oops...trying again to attach a photo...thanks for your patience...
Thank you for sharing these controls. My back up target was 30 degrees off which made backing difficult!
Old 05-16-2018, 08:22 PM   #319

THOR #6701
I am really upset with myself for not questioning the orientation of the generator before. I have had this thing a year and never thought about the oil in the generator. It only has 3.6 hours on it but it should still have been checked. Maybe "out of sight, out of mind"?

I can't believe the trouble one has to go through to check it. Does anyone know why, other than being too cheap to put an access door in? Why is it backwards?
Old 05-17-2018, 10:09 PM   #320

THOR #7972
I did my generator look see several months ago when we first brought our Compass home. Mountainsam got me thinking about the difficult location again. As previously stated I went to a lot of trouble to unload the springs so I could shimmy under the RV. I found an easier way!! Still not as accessible as a a side mount. With the Transit chassis Thor put 10#’s of groceries in a 5# sack. There’s just no place else to locate the gen set. (Goodby spare tire)
Hugh
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	288B25AD-56BF-43F7-955B-E51FA01EB692.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	10300   Click image for larger version

Name:	D6017F81-F41C-4147-A740-31B30DD8C689.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	10301