Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2018, 02:28 PM   #461
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerachandler View Post
Hi Compass and Gemini Folk-

We have camped only one night since getting our Compass 24TF and toilet use was "modest". We were using RV toilet paper. We have had the unit parked in the driveway while we get things loaded etc. - fans are running. To our dismay the bathroom is smelling quite ripe. We have added water to the Black Water tank and have added some blue deodorizer to the tank with even more water but the smell persists. We want to get this issue solved before taking it to the storage park where it may sit in the sun without fans running at all.
Any suggestions on a way to fix this? Recommendations for anti smell products- (especially available in Canada) would be appreciated too!

Thanks!
Gera in Victoria BC
Open the cabinet under the sink and see if you have an air admittance valve (you'll see a vertical pipe that just stops--seems like it goes nowhere). See if the top piece is loose? If it is tighten it down.

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:57 PM   #462

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrhugh View Post
AC condensation was producing streaking on the side and was making our MH look old fast. I found a 3/4"threaded x 1/2" tube 90 degree lawn sprinkler fitting at Lowe's. I trimmed the 3/4" end to fit under the AC condensate drain. Think of your grandfathers pipe bowl. Ran a 4' section of irrigation tubing that reached the rear corner of the roof. There is a drain on each side of the unit. Temporarily taped it to the roof and it's still working great.
Hugh
Hugh, I like your thinking.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Thor RV Forum mobile app
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:13 PM   #463

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: Washington
THOR #10643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macsplorer View Post
Within a few weeks of owning our Gemini, water pressure at the faucets/shower head seemed to drop off when using the water pump. We're an hour from our dealer and decided to get to know our new home a little better. Taking advice from posts here, i attached a hose directly to the water pump to see how long it would take to fill a gallon jug - 1 minute, 38 seconds. A good pump should put out close to three gallons in a minute. I checked the filter at the pump (which was leaking because the gasket was not set completely in it's groove) and found a few plastic bits but nothing to slow the pump down. Next was to disconnect the line from the fresh water tank to the pump. The picture says it all. The up arrow is where the debris had collected. The line was almost completely blocked with little bits of plastic, MOST of which I captured for the picture. My guess is I'll have to do this again as I don't know how many more plastic bits may be in the tank.

Our fresh water tank is underneath our bed covered in a wooden cabinet. The "lid" or top of the box was held in place by some screws that could only be accessed from an outside compartment. the rest of it was held in place with finishing nails! Obviously the fastest and cheapest way to seal it up but a poor setup if you need to service anything. Needless to say, the finishing nails are gone and i'm letting gravity keep the lid in place since the perimeter of the cabinet is flush with the lid and holds it in place.

If I hadn't opened this cabinet up and discovered the leaking filter, who knows how much damage it may have caused, along with some eventual mold issues! Hope this is helpful.
Mac
Thanks for this info (Way back in April!). I'n not sure how to remove the silver clamps around the blue pipe, and worse yet, how to put them back after cleaning out the debris?

Dave
Old 07-03-2018, 08:01 PM   #464

State: Washington
THOR #10643
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
Paul, did you try the remote control for the camera? Possibly it got turned off?

Congrats on the new rig, hope you like it as well as we like ours. We have 10,000 miles on ours now and it is in for what probably is the last warranty service.
LOL! Until I saw these posts, I did not even know I had a remote for the mirror!. I found it, but I think the battery may be dead because when pushing buttons, including the power, the light at the end does not light up.

We have been having trouble with out rear camera display as well. It would sometimes flicker, sometimes go out and come on again later. On our last trip, it would go out and the light on the right would come on, then I would push the power button, and the light on the right would go out, but the camera would come on for a short period of time. Then the camera would go out again and the right light would come on again. Now, nothing happens at all, no matter what we do.

Does anyone know what the two lights (right and left) on the sides of the power button mean?

Dave
Old 07-04-2018, 12:00 AM   #465

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari View Post
after some of you have installed & have miles on them,what is your opinion
on them now? was hoping to find a used set,but no luck.
thanks in advance
Today I drove 6 hrs from Yuba City to Winnemucca and about 3 hrs on I80 with heavy truck traffic and stiff cross winds. Never had two hands on the wheel. I would guess the Sumoís are about the best thing I will do for our Gemini. The only thing that didnít improve drastically in handling is the turbulence 50 feet or so behind the truck. Possibly front Sumos would help that.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:30 AM   #466

Model: compass 23tw
THOR #7466
Today I drove 6 hrs from Yuba City to Winnemucca and about 3 hrs on I80 with heavy truck traffic and stiff cross winds. Never had two hands on the wheel. I would guess the Sumoís are about the best thing I will do for our Gemini. The only thing that didnít improve drastically in handling is the turbulence 50 feet or so behind the truck. Possibly front Sumos would help that.

thanks sooo much for the updates,hope ur having a good trip,
duz the ride seem firmer ?
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:09 AM   #467

Model: Thor Compass 24TF
State: British Columbia
THOR #11939
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Smelly bathroom area....

Not sure of the plumbing routes but I've read some folks have an issue with the pipe being somewhat horizontal from the toilet over to the tank. It may be possible a "bomb" didn't make the entire trip and may be "resting" in the dry pipe before it terminates into the tank. Put a cup of ice in the toilet and flush it away. It may assist in breaking away any solids that may be there. The vent pipe to the ceiling may also be obstructed somehow causing fumes to accumulate in tank.
Thanks for the suggestion Gritz Carlton....your description gave me an idea of how to move any bombs. Rather than ice I poured 3 buckets of hot water mixed with arm and hammer laundry detergent into the toilet and poured some more down the sink and shower drains. Things smell nice and resh now!
From now on we will avoid any such mishaps.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:28 PM   #468

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari View Post
thanks sooo much for the updates,hope ur having a good trip,
duz the ride seem firmer ?
Not much if any. The ride as been good except for the areas were winter chains have damaged the road surface. It is definitely firmer in curves.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:53 PM   #469

THOR #7466
Quote:
Not much if any. The ride as been good except for the areas were winter chains have damaged the road surface. It is definitely firmer in curves.

good cuz i like the ride now.thank you. have a good trip.& to everyone have a safe 4th
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
Old 07-04-2018, 04:07 PM   #470

State: Texas
THOR #12201
Bought thor compass

We just bought a 2017 Thor compass with 2400 miles on it. We love it but we took it camping twice and the second time we went the AC went out in Galveston Texas. It was still under warranty but it took mcclains service center a month to get the unit back to us.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:04 PM   #471

THOR #6701
I am in KOA in West Wendover and I have an issue maybe someone can assist with. We have had issues with our TVs but I figured it out today. Both bed room and outside TVs working with clear pictures. I simply tightened the connections . However I can’t get to the tv over the door. Anyone out there know how to get that tv out far enough to tighten the cable connection?
Old 07-04-2018, 10:25 PM   #472

THOR #7466
Quote:
I am in KOA in West Wendover and I have an issue maybe someone can assist with. We have had issues with our TVs but I figured it out today. Both bed room and outside TVs working with clear pictures. I simply tightened the connections . However I canít get to the tv over the door. Anyone out there know how to get that tv out far enough to tighten the cable connection?

take a flashlight & look up behind tv u will see tabs you need to move with a long small pry bar to release carrier assembly you will need to lift up on the tv to remove so hang on to it. hope this helps
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
Old 07-04-2018, 10:31 PM   #473

THOR #6701
Thank you. Safari. I will look at that and stop tomorrow to get a tool. I’ll let you know the results
Old 07-04-2018, 10:36 PM   #474

THOR #7466
Quote:
Thank you. Safari. I will look at that and stop tomorrow to get a tool. Iíll let you know the results

your welcome,I use a long shafted screw driver
( harbor freight )
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
Old 07-05-2018, 03:15 PM   #475

Model: Compass 23TB
State: Virginia
THOR #11030
Compass 23TB 5th trip

Our 5th trip will start today. This will be our longest one so far with the Compass. From Virginia Beach to Ashland Ohio we'll leave this evening to drive halfway to a TA truck stop to spend the night, than on to Ashland in the morning.
On the way back we're taking a different route home to stop at Rocky Gap State park in Maryland.

Hoping that the mighty power of Thor gives us his blessing.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:50 AM   #476

Model: Compass 23TK
State: Indiana
THOR #10919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladinwj View Post
I have discovered that I sleep better by setting the AC fan to low, so that it runs all night. It seems to not bother me as much as having the fan on Auto and having it start up on high every time the compressor for AC comes on.

I agree, we tried auto and turning on and off was annoying and leaving the fan on all the time in low was much better.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:48 AM   #477

Model: 23 TR
State: Florida
THOR #10954
Ok, I have tried NOT to write about warranty service issues as I think people are tired of hearing about issues. Turns out if tech miss diagnosis problem under warranty then the customer has to pay since there was NO defect in that part!!!!
My 5-month-old Dometic air when out before I was leaving on a 2-week vacation. I purchased the part that my authorized dealer (Harberson) and Dometic tech were sure would fix my problem. I went outside the warranty (that was started for the part) but expected Dometic to pay labor. Not only did Harberson charge me over 4 times that rate that Dometic would have paid under warranty but here is the e-mail back from Dometic warranty person;
Carl,
Dometic does not pay above flat rate. When you were told that Dometic would still pay the labor, that was in regards to the fact that you were going around the warranty procedure by purchasing a board. It was not to imply that we pay over the flat rate for the repair. The diagnosis and replacement of that board should take no more than .7 hrs. If it does, then the customer is responsible for that payment.

Thank you,
Kristin

We ended up paying about $700 and got nothing at all for this out of pocket and left with no AC on 2-week vacation.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:13 PM   #478

Model: 2017 Compass 23TR
State: Florida
THOR #9752
Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post
Ok, I have tried NOT to write about warranty service issues as I think people are tired of hearing about issues. Turns out if tech miss diagnosis problem under warranty then the customer has to pay since there was NO defect in that part!!!!
My 5-month-old Dometic air when out before I was leaving on a 2-week vacation. I purchased the part that my authorized dealer (Harberson) and Dometic tech were sure would fix my problem. I went outside the warranty (that was started for the part) but expected Dometic to pay labor. Not only did Harberson charge me over 4 times that rate that Dometic would have paid under warranty but here is the e-mail back from Dometic warranty person;
Carl,
Dometic does not pay above flat rate. When you were told that Dometic would still pay the labor, that was in regards to the fact that you were going around the warranty procedure by purchasing a board. It was not to imply that we pay over the flat rate for the repair. The diagnosis and replacement of that board should take no more than .7 hrs. If it does, then the customer is responsible for that payment.

Thank you,
Kristin

We ended up paying about $700 and got nothing at all for this out of pocket and left with no AC on 2-week vacation.
Campy,

Since we are somewhat in the same area, I would talk to Gerzeny's RV World in Bradenton (on Rt64 not far off I75) and see how they would have taken care of this. So far, Gerzeny's service department has been outstanding taking care of all the Thor shoddy workmanship warranty issues for us.

In fact, and let this be a head's up to all, we just had an issue where the main power feed wire burned inside a cabinet and we lost 120v power throughout the coach. This happened the day after spending a long weekend "shakedown cruise" and using every electrical appliance in the coach. When we got home, the coach was plugged into shore power in our yard along with a Surge Guard so I know it was not a power surge. I believe we came close to a major fire in an unattended coach.

I highly recommend Gerzeny's!

Paul
Old 07-12-2018, 05:19 PM   #479

Model: Gemini
State: Nova Scotia
THOR #12276
Ok, I have a question for all of you. I am purchasing a 2017 Thor Gemini TB, although the deal is not yet finalized until I go over the unit with a fine tooth comb, and have some concerns about what some reviews have called shoddy workmanship. Would really appreciate some opinions on this forum. Thanks!
Old 07-12-2018, 06:09 PM   #480

Model: Gemini
State: Nova Scotia
THOR #12276
Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post
Hope this one makes it!!!

The table top holder was moved up higher to allow access under for storage.
The wine cellar(haha) is 3 " PVC. I have made another one. Instead of 3" PVC on both sides, I now have 4" PVC on the left side and 3" PVC on the right side. They are glued together and have nonskid on the bottom of the holder. Don't move or rattle.
Love the wine cellar! Thanks for the idea.

Tags
cutout, dinette, modification, murphy bed, opening, wall