Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2018, 06:52 PM   #481

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Compass 23TR
State: Florida
THOR #9752
Quote:
Originally Posted by socwok View Post
Ok, I have a question for all of you. I am purchasing a 2017 Thor Gemini TB, although the deal is not yet finalized until I go over the unit with a fine tooth comb, and have some concerns about what some reviews have called shoddy workmanship. Would really appreciate some opinions on this forum. Thanks!
socwok,

I can only comment on my 23TR's issues but here are some that jump out:

1. Bad seal on slide-out that caused a major leak and damage to bed frame that is made of composite wood. Suggest apply silicone caulk where frame meets floor. Bed frame was replaced by dealer with no argument.
2. Loose main feed wire that burned and could have caused a major fire. Discover when coach lost all 120v power.
3. One rear tire mud flap installed on wrong side of stiffing support. Basically mud flap was rubbing against the tire.
4. Folding mechanism for jack-knife couch cut into fabric on side of couch. New side piece installed allowing space for mechanism to move.
5. Loose wires everywhere under the coach. Hint - zip ties are better than tape!
6. One Tank heater hanging loose and reinstalled properly by dealer.
7. Soft close blinds needed adjustment to close properly.

All in all, except for the leak and burned wire, most of our issues were cosmetic. Fortunately, all have been taken care of by the dealer under warranty.

Paul

Old 07-12-2018, 08:34 PM   #482

Model: compass 23tw
State: California
THOR #7466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul N View Post
socwok,

I can only comment on my 23TR's issues but here are some that jump out:

1. Bad seal on slide-out that caused a major leak and damage to bed frame that is made of composite wood. Suggest apply silicone caulk where frame meets floor. Bed frame was replaced by dealer with no argument.
2. Loose main feed wire that burned and could have caused a major fire. Discover when coach lost all 120v power.
3. One rear tire mud flap installed on wrong side of stiffing support. Basically mud flap was rubbing against the tire.
4. Folding mechanism for jack-knife couch cut into fabric on side of couch. New side piece installed allowing space for mechanism to move.
5. Loose wires everywhere under the coach. Hint - zip ties are better than tape!
6. One Tank heater hanging loose and reinstalled properly by dealer.
7. Soft close blinds needed adjustment to close properly.

All in all, except for the leak and burned wire, most of our issues were cosmetic. Fortunately, all have been taken care of by the dealer under warranty.

Paul

sorry for ur problems,please tell us more about Loose main feed wire that burned thx
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:03 PM   #483

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
Quote:
Ok, I have a question for all of you. I am purchasing a 2017 Thor Gemini TB, although the deal is not yet finalized until I go over the unit with a fine tooth comb, and have some concerns about what some reviews have called shoddy workmanship. Would really appreciate some opinions on this forum. Thanks!

Think most issues are with the dealers that tie units up for months during the warranty period. There are usually some issues you will find after delivery both with workmanship and accessories. Most are resolved by the dealers but take forever. Most Gemini and Compass owners are well satisfied. My 23TR is a pleasure to drive and fits our lifestyle well, except for the cabinet door that fell off a couple days ago and hit me in the head. My bad, I knew they need re-engineered but procrastinated.
Good luck, I think the irritations will be over shadowed by the enjoyment.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:01 AM   #484

Model: Gemini
State: Nova Scotia
THOR #12276
Thanks Paul. It is a used unit but only has 5880 km on it, the 1 year warranty is over but I have the option of an extended warranty. I had done my research so have inspected it keeping in mind the comments. Also had my son, who is a contractor, go with me, So am feeling rather good about my decision! Hoping to have it by next weekend!
Old 07-13-2018, 02:05 AM   #485

State: Nova Scotia
THOR #12276
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
Think most issues are with the dealers that tie units up for months during the warranty period. There are usually some issues you will find after delivery both with workmanship and accessories. Most are resolved by the dealers but take forever. Most Gemini and Compass owners are well satisfied. My 23TR is a pleasure to drive and fits our lifestyle well, except for the cabinet door that fell off a couple days ago and hit me in the head. My bad, I knew they need re-engineered but procrastinated.
Good luck, I think the irritations will be over shadowed by the enjoyment.
Thanks! I am looking forward to it! I am a long time camper and have had several trailers but am of that vintage that I want something easier to back into a site in my favourite national and provincial parks. I really have learned a lot by reading this forum. Cathy
Old 07-13-2018, 10:39 AM   #486

THOR #9752
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari View Post
sorry for ur problems,please tell us more about Loose main feed wire that burned thx
Mike,

Still don't have the coach back from the dealer so I have not actually looked at the wire or determined where it is. All I have is a report from the dealer saying "a main feed wire in a cabinet burned". Once I get the coach back I will locate it and take a photo for all to inspect. Believe me I will be keeping a eye on this!

The interesting thing is that I believe it started to burn while we were camping. Early on Sunday morning my wife asked me if I smelled something burning. I did, but believed it to be a tent campers cook fire. Where we were camping there were many tent campers all around us. It did not smell like an electrical fire - guess I was wrong

Paul
Old 07-13-2018, 10:46 AM   #487

THOR #9752
Quote:
Thanks! I am looking forward to it! I am a long time camper and have had several trailers but am of that vintage that I want something easier to back into a site in my favourite national and provincial parks. I really have learned a lot by reading this forum. Cathy
Cathy,

I agree with mountainsman. Our Compass 23TR is an absolute joy to drive and much more comfortable than our old coach. The issues are minor and unfortunately common across the industry. Well, maybe not for a Prevost or a Newell or the like

Happy Camping!

Paul
Old 07-13-2018, 12:31 PM   #488

Model: 23 TR
THOR #10954
Quote:
I can appreciate your concern. Except for the Dometic air, the rest of my issues have been ankle bitters problems. I would get a tube of Goop and just unscrew the cabinets and door stop put a drop behind each and then all is good. The slide wiring should be better supported and the dealer can do this. Great layout and good components. The rest will just shake out after a few uses. I think most all different manufactured RV will have some issues as well.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:25 PM   #489

THOR #7466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul N View Post
Mike,

Still don't have the coach back from the dealer so I have not actually looked at the wire or determined where it is. All I have is a report from the dealer saying "a main feed wire in a cabinet burned". Once I get the coach back I will locate it and take a photo for all to inspect. Believe me I will be keeping a eye on this!

The interesting thing is that I believe it started to burn while we were camping. Early on Sunday morning my wife asked me if I smelled something burning. I did, but believed it to be a tent campers cook fire. Where we were camping there were many tent campers all around us. It did not smell like an electrical fire - guess I was wrong

Paul

Hi Paul,
Hope all goes well,thx for the updates
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
Old 07-13-2018, 10:27 PM   #490

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Texas
THOR #7972
Generator oil change follow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrhugh View Post
I did my generator look see several months ago when we first brought our Compass home. Mountainsam got me thinking about the difficult location again. As previously stated I went to a lot of trouble to unload the springs so I could shimmy under the RV. I found an easier way!! Still not as accessible as a a side mount. With the Transit chassis Thor put 10#ís of groceries in a 5# sack. Thereís just no place else to locate the gen set. (Goodby spare tire)
Hugh
Actually changed the oil and air filter on my Onan today. It went pretty well. I used a general purpose hand pump from Walmart($7). My only advice is to go slow as it overflows easily.
Hugh
Old 07-14-2018, 12:46 AM   #491

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Our experiences with our TX, have largely been annoying kinds of issues, which Thor covered and the dealer was able to resolve. It has not been perfect, nor has it been a disaster. As with any new RV, it generally takes the first year, sometimes more, to recover it from having been manufactured. This is true for entry units, as well as high end Prevost's. Our last RV, though not a Prevost, was a fairly high end DP, and the first two years about drove me nuts, trying to get the bugs worked out of it. Frankly the Gemini has been easier to deal with.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:51 PM   #492

State: Alabama
THOR #7475
Gemini 2017 owners. Has any one had trouble keeping plastic end caps on the awning. We are on our third set. Any ideas on how to keep them on?
Old 07-15-2018, 01:34 PM   #493

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkirk View Post
Gemini 2017 owners. Has any one had trouble keeping plastic end caps on the awning. We are on our third set. Any ideas on how to keep them on?
Wish I could help you. Last year the Ford mechanic took mine for a test drive and got a little close to a small tree branch. I ordered new caps, the Ford dealer put them on and reimbursed me the cost plus freight. They are still there.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:41 PM   #494

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Quote:
So far mine have stayed on. I did have the front support arm, start to dissemble, bolts etc. got very loose, awning started making popping noises. Caught it before disaster struck.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:03 AM   #495

Model: Compass 24TX
State: Kentucky
THOR #7036
Quote:

Not high speed, but it has worked so far. I lost the rear outer cover twice last year. I put some 3M Duck Tape that I had on both last year after the second was lost, and I have not lost one yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-07-15-20-39-29_kindlephoto-201488175.png
Views:	101
Size:	855.4 KB
ID:	11496   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-07-15-20-35-43_kindlephoto-201532224.png
Views:	93
Size:	579.9 KB
ID:	11497  

Old 07-16-2018, 01:18 AM   #496

Model: Compass 24TX
State: Kentucky
THOR #7036
I have the 24TX. Someone mentioned once about the difficulty of getting into bed due to it's height which is an issue for my wife. I also had a problem with the zip ties for the wiring for the bed catching on the cushions as the slide out went in and out. I removed both of the side cushions, so there is nothing for the wires to catch on now. I also bought two foot stools at Marshall, Ross, or TJMaxx, but I can't remember which. They have hinged lids, so I can store stuff in them, and we can use them as steps on to the bed. I removed the half inch legs that came on them and glued rubber furniture pads on the bottoms to prevent them sliding around, so they stay on the floor in each side of the bed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2018-07-15-20-46-44_kindlephoto-200891946.png
Views:	120
Size:	490.5 KB
ID:	11498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-07-15-20-35-27_kindlephoto-200507145.png
Views:	115
Size:	389.9 KB
ID:	11499  

Old 07-21-2018, 03:24 AM   #497

THOR #6701
We also use a step stool to get into bed. Getting out is no problem. Ours is just a two step folding stool that fits right under the end of the bed but folds up and stores easily when the bed is up.

We just finished a trip around the Rockies. California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon and back to California. About half on two lane highways. Basically Plumas Lake CA to Denver to Spokane To Plumas Lake CA .The Ford 3.2 diesel and Select Shift was flawless. Finished the trip with 15.7 MPG. Sumo springs really did the trick for handling truck blasts and cross winds.

One cabinet door fell off and one blind fell down. The blind I blame on the repair shop that installed the new kitchen window last month. The cabinet door due to short small screws in cheap partial board. It will be an easy fix.

We did purchase a tower fan after spending a few nights with the A/C not being able to cool efficiently. And what a differance it made. While watching the front tv with a/c on in the bedroom we placed the tower fan in front of the bathroom door and it was all we needed to make the coach comfortable. Even had to turn the a/c fan on low. The tower fan runs very quietly. The tv cable was a no show. Very bad reception. The antenna did a great job most places but limited channels.

We stayed in KOA's all the way with the exception of a week in Estes Park CO at the Historic Cregs Lodge and a night at the New Frontier RV Park in Wennimucca NV. No complaints.

Time to start planning the next adventure.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:44 AM   #498

THOR #7466
Quote:
We also use a step stool to get into bed. Getting out is no problem. Ours is just a two step folding stool that fits right under the end of the bed but folds up and stores easily when the bed is up.

We just finished a trip around the Rockies. California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon and back to California. About half on two lane highways. Basically Plumas Lake CA to Denver to Spokane To Plumas Lake CA .The Ford 3.2 diesel and Select Shift was flawless. Finished the trip with 15.7 MPG. Sumo springs really did the trick for handling truck blasts and cross winds.

One cabinet door fell off and one blind fell down. The blind I blame on the repair shop that installed the new kitchen window last month. The cabinet door due to short small screws in cheap partial board. It will be an easy fix.

We did purchase a tower fan after spending a few nights with the A/C not being able to cool efficiently. And what a differance it made. While watching the front tv with a/c on in the bedroom we placed the tower fan in front of the bathroom door and it was all we needed to make the coach comfortable. Even had to turn the a/c fan on low. The tower fan runs very quietly. The tv cable was a no show. Very bad reception. The antenna did a great job most places but limited channels.

We stayed in KOA's all the way with the exception of a week in Estes Park CO at the Historic Cregs Lodge and a night at the New Frontier RV Park in Wennimucca NV. No complaints.

Time to start planning the next adventure.
Mountainsam Glad you had a good trip,Do you use the tower fan when driving? & what brand is the fan? I'am thinking of going to lake Tahoe for a few days,Then towards Texas area in the fall.
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
Old 07-21-2018, 03:33 PM   #499

THOR #6701
Safari,

The tower fan doesn't run while on the road. We rarely have to run the cab air fan above low or my wife complains its too cold. The tower fan is a Mainstays 3 speed 28 inch and cost about $28 at Walmart. It also oscillates if desired. We hit temps up to 105 during the day and the cab air handled that well. Only after parking did we need help. The vents on the roof air just don't do a lot. One other thing I did was leave the engine and a/c run until I got the cab window shades put up after parking at the CG. It just takes a couple minutes. Those big windows can let in a lot of heat.http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1532187109
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2194.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	11632  
Old 07-21-2018, 06:39 PM   #500

THOR #7466
Quote:
Safari,

The tower fan doesn't run while on the road. We rarely have to run the cab air fan above low or my wife complains its too cold. The tower fan is a Mainstays 3 speed 28 inch and cost about $28 at Walmart. It also oscillates if desired. We hit temps up to 105 during the day and the cab air handled that well. Only after parking did we need help. The vents on the roof air just don't do a lot. One other thing I did was leave the engine and a/c run until I got the cab window shades put up after parking at the CG. It just takes a couple minutes. Those big windows can let in a lot of heat.http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1532187109

Thank You Mountainsam, For the info.Have a good weekend.
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass

Tags
cutout, dinette, modification, murphy bed, opening, wall