Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2018, 02:00 PM   #561

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: gemini 24 tf
State: Labrador
THOR #12855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Lots of RVs lean a bit to one side. My Freedom Elite 26 always leaned to the left and was a bunch worse with its slide out. I expect it was worse still with DW and me sleeping in it. I asked a trusted truck suspension guy about it and he said it doesnít have any effect on the vehicle. He could ďfixĒ it by putting a small helper spring on the heavy side but of course it wouldnít change the weight distribution-only the way the box sits on the chassis. Once I started looking at other rigs leaning (that Iíd never noticed until I had one) I decided not to worry about it and go camping. These are heavy machines and until you weigh yours compared to the GVWR you wonít know. If you are within specs you probably just need to get used to the thing. I expect there are a great many RVs that are overweight though.
Thanks you for your answer, i know it is normal that the rv lean a bit when the slide out is open. But i think mine lean too much. I am wondering if the slide out is not too big for the vehicle. I don't know, i will see with my dealer.

Old 08-27-2018, 04:27 PM   #562

Model: 23 TR
State: Florida
THOR #10954
Water on ceiling of slide

I have found that sometimes area I have pushed out the slide there is water on the ceiling near the air vent. I am wondering if it has something to do with water still on the roof of the slide and then air pushes it onto the ceiling.

I checked the roof and there is nothing located there at all.

Has anyone had this happen?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	12493  
Old 08-27-2018, 05:18 PM   #563

THOR #10954
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsman41 View Post
Well got back yesterday from our 4000 mile trip and of course had a few problems with our 2017 Gemini. The cabinet doors are falling off and got a lot of water coming in the rear of the unit during a rain storm. I will try and fix the cabinet doors and search for the water leak problem.the ford part of the RV preformed well and got 18mpg average. We went out west so pretty good. Wife loves the size of the coach and once i get the bugs worked out i think we will be ok. The cabinet doors are Thorís problem and should be made of something like lexan or real wood not paperboard. Thors quality control must be non existent but I donít think any of the Rv makers are any better. Happy camping to all.
I have found a dab of Goop Glue under each screw head has worked well for me. The door stops have stayed in place as well. I would loosen each screw put a dab of glue and then easily retighten. good luck
Old 08-27-2018, 06:08 PM   #564

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
We had several cabinet doors come loose, and the bathroom door stops too. Best fix I know of is to fill hole with filler, let harden, drill small pilot hole, coat screw with glue, and reattach. Haven't had any come loose a second time.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:03 AM   #565

Model: gemini 24 tf
State: Labrador
THOR #12855
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
If its the Schwintek mechanism (pretty sure it is: all Thor's are):

There is also this video from Thor:
Thank you so much for this information it is very important for us to know this. I have couple questions about slide out.
What is supporting for a long slide out.
Are they safe at 100%
how could we adjust them when it touch the floor
Thanks for the answer
Old 08-28-2018, 01:30 AM   #566

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Schwintek is the slide of choice for many manufactures, not only Thor. Frankly the slides on my former DP seemed to me to be far more substantial, then the schwinteks on the Gemini, but the manufacture of my former DP is now using schwinteks too. Nothing mechanical is 100% ever, and slides are honestly a major source of problems for RV's. Having said that, more don't fail, then do, which will not make you feel better if yours is one of the ones that fails. About all you can do, is watch and listen to them every time you extend or retract them, as they usually give some signs of problems prior to catastrophic failure. No guarantee's, it is a mechanical device.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:28 PM   #567

Model: 2017 Compass 23TR
THOR #9752
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrhugh View Post
On my 23tr the transfer switch is under the kitchen counter drawer. The 4Ēx4Ē box under the motor home is used to connect the generator pig tails to house wiring.
Hugh
Thanks - I will check out the wiring on both.

Paul
Old 08-28-2018, 03:56 PM   #568

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Texas
THOR #7972
Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post
I have found that sometimes area I have pushed out the slide there is water on the ceiling near the air vent. I am wondering if it has something to do with water still on the roof of the slide and then air pushes it onto the ceiling.

Campy,
In the 90’s I had a leak around the AC gasket. It wasn’t a ducted system so it was pretty obvious. In my case the mounting bolts had been over tightened and crushed the gasket. Condensate was pooling around the AC unit and leaking in the rv.
Your photo is interesting though. The drop pattern looks like dirty water was forced in from the rear. What were the conditions when you noticed the water?
Hugh
Old 08-28-2018, 04:50 PM   #569

THOR #10954
Quote:
Campy,
In the 90ís I had a leak around the AC gasket. It wasnít a ducted system so it was pretty obvious. In my case the mounting bolts had been over tightened and crushed the gasket. Condensate was pooling around the AC unit and leaking in the rv.
Your photo is interesting though. The drop pattern looks like dirty water was forced in from the rear. What were the conditions when you noticed the water?
Hugh
Hi Hugh, Monsoon rain but no leaks or anything inside after the rain. We noticed it a few days later after pushed out the slide again once back from the trip.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:03 PM   #570

THOR #10954
Airconditiing duct

Ok, I am sure no one is going to try and make one of these!! It is going to be hard enough to describe how it works. Fourth revision for this one!

To get where this duct needs to go you have to remove the 4 screws holding the air conditioner panel on the inside of the RV. The part towards the front of RV is the return. The part in the back is where this goes. It just fits in this opening and is started upside down position. This is to allow you to slide out the 2 vent pieces that go to each of the RV's air ducts. Once out turn up with the weather stripping pushed up against the fan duct pushing in the cold air into the ducts of the RV.

The front vents now have excellent flow and you can feel the air with your hand it is so strong now. In addition, I would guess it is about 50% quieter now really made a big difference even on over 98' day here in Florida!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	duct.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	12502  
Old 08-30-2018, 12:42 AM   #571

THOR #7972
Campy,
Your right, I canít quite visualize what youíre done. I modified my ac to better separate the ac discharge from the return air. Modified might be a stretch but I did increase air flow to the front. Iíll look at mine again and see if I can improve a little more. Thanks for sharing.
Hugh
Old 08-30-2018, 12:54 PM   #572

THOR #10954
Quote:
Campy,
Your right, I canít quite visualize what youíre done. I modified my ac to better separate the ac discharge from the return air. Modified might be a stretch but I did increase air flow to the front. Iíll look at mine again and see if I can improve a little more. Thanks for sharing.
Hugh
Hi Hugh, yes this is an air duct diverter. Where you see the sliding air opening vent on your air conditioner this would go above it. The issue is there is no way to direct the airflow over to where the camper's duct is located. This added ducting blows directly into the side ducts increase the air flow to the front and back ducts by a lot. I could never feel the air moving hardly at all but now it is flowing very good and really drop the temperature in the front of the RV as well as the back.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:36 PM   #573

Model: Compass 24TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #10629
solar install 24TB

HI,

Almost finished with install waiting on a few items for final panel.
Went well learned a lot Here are some pics.

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	renogy mppt.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	12528   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180830_093449.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	12529  

Old 08-31-2018, 09:32 PM   #574

Model: compass 23tw
THOR #7466
update axle seal leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari View Post
when I installed my sumo springs I notice a leak on the rt rear backing plate, So off to ford to have it fixed,Yep axle seal,had to order 2/3 days to get the seal ,they told me kind of a known problem,They have a updated seal.

Mike
Ok parts came in set appt to have seal installed,All went well,repair done. Jim Burke
ford in Bakersfield,Ca is fantastic .
Very happy.
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:27 PM   #575

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
I guess I better have them take a look at mine to assure no leaks. Due for oil change and waiting for the recall parts to come in. I don't think Ford has put central California on the priority list for these recall parts to stop water intrusion.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:36 PM   #576

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post

Don't know if this would help but its worth a try. When you extend and retract the slide open a window or the door so you will not cause a vacuum or a ballon affect.
It is easier on the seals and may help.
Old 09-01-2018, 05:49 PM   #577

THOR #7972
Checked my AC again this morning and the separation of supply & return air is good. Since I had the grill off decided to straighten up the wiring located in the return air side. What a mess. The metal junction box was jammed up in the plenum crushing the evaporator fins. Wiring scattered everywhere. A few Ty-Rapes & double sided tape to fix the junction box took 20 minutes Thor couldnít spare. Life of the coil had probably been shortened.
Hugh
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B8C019DC-5042-4D35-BB71-2F27E0E26098.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	12550   Click image for larger version

Name:	FF9E32E2-15D8-4882-A502-30E71A9899FA.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	12551  

Name:	758FB020-04B6-4346-8EEA-AF8D7854020E.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	12552   Click image for larger version

Name:	13CBBE95-5859-4498-B96B-EB7CEF5BAAD9.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	12553  

Old 09-01-2018, 09:53 PM   #578

THOR #7972
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
Hello to all you Gemini and Compass folks. I am starting this thread to try to involve more Gemini and Compass owners. I don't see much discussion on them so I am thinking they are performing so well there is nothing to discuss. I have put roughly 6000 miles on ours since taking delivery in early April. A few problems have appeared but mostly cosmetic. I did have the Ford dealer flash the computer as the exhaust began regen cycle to often while returning home from the midwest in July.
How about others, have you been happy with your purchase?
mountainsam
576 posts & 40,105 views Did you ever think your thread would get this big? Are there that many Gemini/Compass owners or does this model have more problems than others? Either way itís impressive.
Hugh
Old 09-01-2018, 10:38 PM   #579

Model: Windsport 31z
State: Arizona
THOR #8277
We have enjoyed our Gemini 23tr since we got it over a year ago. We had some issues with it but most were easy to fix. But we wanted more room for grown kids and possible grand kids in the future so we just traded for a 2018 Windsport 31z. We are picking it up the 13th of this month. Hope we have as good luck with it as we did the Gemini.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:54 PM   #580

Model: Windsport 31z
State: Arizona
THOR #8277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfdchief24 View Post
We have enjoyed our Gemini 23tr since we got it over a year ago. We had some issues with it but most were easy to fix. But we wanted more room for grown kids and possible grand kids in the future so we just traded for a 2018 Windsport 31z. We are picking it up the 13th of this month. Hope we have as good luck with it as we did the Gemini.

And I will have some Somoís for sale when I get them off if someone interested. I purchased them from Etrailer 225.00 and Iíll ship them Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1110.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	12556

Tags
cutout, dinette, modification, murphy bed, opening, wall