Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2018, 01:02 AM   #581

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 Gemini 23 TR
State: Quebec
THOR #11163
Awning mounting plates

I just completed a trip from coast to coast in my 2018 Gemini 23 TR (now 16,000 km). Very satisfied with the RV overall. Beside some minor glitches (that were taken care with your help on this forum), I have only encountered one major problem. I do not use the awning often and only for protection from the sun. Never saw rain nor wind. On its fifth deployment, the awning rear support plate came off completely from the wall of the vehicle. Boondocking in western Nova Scotia I sought advice from an RV repair shop. In the expert’s opinion, the screws were probably stripped during their installation for a failure of all the screws at the same time. I made the repair and solidify so that it does not happen again. While checking the front plate, the screws seemed solid but I discovered that there were two screws missing on the mounting plate, that were never installed by Thor and a 3/4 inch hole for no reason (not the hole for the wiring). Anyone had a similar experience with their awning (latitude model)?

Old 09-02-2018, 02:51 AM   #582

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
[QUOTE=vfrhugh;141699]mountainsam

576 posts & 40,105 views Did you ever think your thread would get this big? Are there that many Gemini/Compass owners or does this model have more problems than others? Either way it’s impressive.

Hugh[/

I agree it grew more than I expected and no, I don’t think there are more issues with the Gemini/ Compass models. Actually most discussions have been positive. I started the thread because I felt the Gemini/Compass models didn’t quite fit with the gas C’s or the diesel A’s so had little representation and discussions got lost. They are a little unique actually. I hope all have learned something and enjoyed the discussions as much as I have and I hope it continues.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:27 AM   #583

Model: Compass 23TB
State: Virginia
THOR #11030
Another trouble free trip

Our 6th trip was worry free in the Compass.
I still use it every Sunday for my RC plane activity's.
I'm hopping all continues to work properly.

This forum has been great for any Compass/Gemini owner. Thanks MountianMan
Besides the posts about problems that all RV's have I like the posts about upgrading and fixing.
Also I like to see your RV at cool places.

Dry camping 5 days at RC event in South Carolina end of this month.

Photo of our 6th trip. 4 days at Newport News City Campground.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	comp.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	12572  
Old 09-03-2018, 04:48 AM   #584

State: Ohio
THOR #12954
We have a Thor Gemini 23TR and have been having the same leaking problem. We have to set a pan under the side to catch the water. We have had it fixed at CW 3 times already but they have not found a solution. the water seems to travel along the slide rail and then drip onto the floor at the left side of bed. After the last time in to be fixed it now will leak on the right side also. We are also looking for a solution.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:28 AM   #585

State: Ohio
THOR #12954
Red face End Caps on Awning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkirk View Post
Gemini 2017 owners. Has any one had trouble keeping plastic end caps on the awning. We are on our third set. Any ideas on how to keep them on?
We have found that black duct tape works well so far.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:52 AM   #586

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
Replace gas struts for folding bed

I'm glad there is a Gemini/Compass thread too! Thanks mountainsam

So I am finding the struts holding the bed up when folded are not "holding" and it doesn't seem related to bedding. Has anyone replace theirs? And with what weight/size?
Old 09-04-2018, 08:47 PM   #587

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawsds View Post
On its fifth deployment, the awning rear support plate came off completely from the wall of the vehicle. Boondocking in western Nova Scotia I sought advice from an RV repair shop. In the expert’s opinion, the screws were probably stripped during their installation for a failure of all the screws at the same time. I made the repair and solidify so that it does not happen again. While checking the front plate, the screws seemed solid but I discovered that there were two screws missing on the mounting plate, that were never installed by Thor and a 3/4 inch hole for no reason (not the hole for the wiring). Anyone had a similar experience with their awning (latitude model)?
Sorry to hear about the awning
Any time I read of an issue I go out, get a ladder and start checking our 23TR. I am happy to say all but one screw was tight and nothing has appeared to move on the awning brackets. No screws missing. I will say they could have used a bit larger screws. At nearly 15,000 miles nothing on the outside has failed except for the landscapper breaking our kitchen window.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:05 PM   #588

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmilla View Post

So I am finding the struts holding the bed up when folded are not "holding" and it doesn't seem related to bedding. Has anyone replace theirs? And with what weight/size?
I read other post many months ago about those struts not holding the bed, especially during quick stops. I just bought one of those cheap expansion rods to hold ours and we have had no problems.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1536095082
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1898.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	12598  
Old 09-05-2018, 01:37 PM   #589

Model: 23 TR
State: Florida
THOR #10954
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmilla View Post
I'm glad there is a Gemini/Compass thread too! Thanks mountainsam

I have tried an easy solution. Just cut some clear plastic tubing 3/8 " down the center. To find the length just push a little on the bed in the up position to get the measurement. Then push the clear tube onto the top sliding part of the strut. Takes seconds to install or remove. haven't had it fail once since then.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:02 PM   #590

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Texas
THOR #7972
Thanks for showing me the next thing that’s going to break!! LOL
Hugh
Old 09-05-2018, 05:13 PM   #591

State: New York
THOR #8465
hello - i too have the 23TR. It seems to use very little def. the dashboard message says ok, but everytime i fill it seems to take very little and most ends up spilling on ground - those big jugs are a bit unwieldy. should i just trust the dashboard?
Old 09-06-2018, 03:42 AM   #592

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Kennedy View Post
hello - i too have the 23TR. It seems to use very little def. the dashboard message says ok, but everytime i fill it seems to take very little and most ends up spilling on ground - those big jugs are a bit unwieldy. should i just trust the dashboard?
Yes, trust the dash. 5 gal. of DEF goes a long way. I stopped buying the jugs and have the Ford dealer top it off when I get an oil change. DEF is supposed to have a short shelf life so leaving a half jug sitting around probably isn't a great idea.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:02 PM   #593

THOR #8465
thor 23TR bedroom tv mounting

how can i access the back of my bedroom tv? the hdmi cable is unplugged, which is why i assume i can't watch dvd's in there. I can feel the cable and the plug, but the space is just too small to get my fingers to work. i've tried using my grandson's hands, but his attention span is too short.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:22 PM   #594

THOR #8465
Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post
[attach]Attachment 10860[/attach]
that looks frightening, i'm not sure i'm ready to start carving up my rv, maybe after 10K, but i do like the idea. i'm probably more of a novice - my question - when i dump, i pull the black water valve, let it drain, flush the toilet several times, then pull the two smaller handles, which i assume are grey water, let them drain, and then the other large pull which is fresh - I assume. Am i doing it right?
Old 09-06-2018, 04:45 PM   #595

THOR #11163
Quote:
that looks frightening, i'm not sure i'm ready to start carving up my rv, maybe after 10K, but i do like the idea. i'm probably more of a novice - my question - when i dump, i pull the black water valve, let it drain, flush the toilet several times, then pull the two smaller handles, which i assume are grey water, let them drain, and then the other large pull which is fresh - I assume. Am i doing it right?
Pretty much what you are describing Harry. Always start with the black water valve and flush the toilet several time and/or use some form of «*wand*» to rinse. After the flow has stopped completely, I close the black water valve before opening the grey water tanks. I tend to open the small grey water valves prior to opening the main grey water gate valve so that I get the maximum flow of water to «*clean*» the dumping hose. Bottom line there is a few important rules (ex: black tank first....) but more than one way to do it.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:50 PM   #596

THOR #11163
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
Sorry to hear about the awning
Any time I read of an issue I go out, get a ladder and start checking our 23TR. I am happy to say all but one screw was tight and nothing has appeared to move on the awning brackets. No screws missing. I will say they could have used a bit larger screws. At nearly 15,000 miles nothing on the outside has failed except for the landscapper breaking our kitchen window.
Great little RV indeed. I’m still very satisfied but I had to give a heads up to gemini owners just in case. I was lucky in having help from campers close by and with no ladder on the 23 TR, standing on a picnic table, it could have been a nightmare. By the way, thanks for your time on this forum. Helped me a lot in breaking in (bad choice of words?) my Gemini. Had experience with a large camping trailer but it is my first motorhome. It is important to write on the forum and doing so, I noticed that Thor did correct some of the problems that were reported on older Gemini’s. Thanks again.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:03 PM   #597

THOR #11163
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
I read other post many months ago about those struts not holding the bed, especially during quick stops. I just bought one of those cheap expansion rods to hold ours and we have had no problems.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1536095082
My solution was two small pieces of 2 X 4 spaced by 3/4 of an inch plywood, that fits perfectly on the left side of the bed (closer to the sidewalk than on the right side) stopping any forward motion of the bed platform once in the travel position. The piece of plywood is shorter than the 2 X 4 so that the stopper can be lowered on the side of the shelf and stay snuggly in position. (Turn picture to the right...)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4392D6F2-FAB5-41B4-823C-61EB567D52A9.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	12646  
Old 09-06-2018, 06:06 PM   #598

THOR #6701
Quote:
Harry,

The second large valve is a safety valve to prevent an accidental dump. The two smaller valves are gray water from driver side and gray water from the sink on the passengers side.

For the fresh water you probably have to remove a couple screws from the small panel to the left inside the rear storage, then remove the panel and you will see the pump, piping, electrical mess and two valves. You will also see a small portion of the fresh water tank so it is easy to see which valve for the tank. Unless you are winterizing there isn't any need to dump the fresh water (IMO). When I dump my fresh water I open the valve before driving. I takes a while and no problem emptying it on the road, fresh water only of course.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1536257140
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1282.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	12647  
Old 09-08-2018, 06:28 PM   #599

State: Washington
THOR #10643
Quote:
Originally Posted by PupPup View Post
It turns out the manual on how to set the time on the radio is totally wrong.
I found the "JWM6A QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE" and it shows a totally different way to set the clock.
This did not work for me. Holding the mode button down does seem to put the Jensen into time mode, but pressing the buttons shown (fast forward/backwards) does nothing at all.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:21 PM   #600

Model: gemini 24 tf
State: Labrador
THOR #12855
Hello every one
I tried to find the location of the water pump on my gemini 24tf. I can't find???
Somebody can help ?
Thank
PS: usermanual is so poor

Tags
cutout, dinette, modification, murphy bed, opening, wall