Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2020, 02:26 PM   #1641

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 24TF Compass / Mercedes
State: New York
THOR #17969
Axxera Navigation / radio unit

I had my first real opportunity to use the navigation system in my new 2019 Mercedes Compass 24TF this past week end. Perhaps it is my imagination, but this unit is the most worthless piece of junk I have ever used! I updated it to the latest maps when I bought the MH and reinstalled the sim card. First, I cannot imagine any unit installed in any large vehicle that is not voice activated and interactive. The time is completely off even after I set it up for my time zone and DST. The speed limit for interstate driving never gets above 50 MPH. If you accidentally touch the screen, there is no way to go back or cancelling the touch other than letting it assume it is a new destination and then going through all the prompts and then finally cancelling that route. That's always fun while driving along. The radio quality is marginal at best too. All this fun happens while you cannot see much because of glare, the unit is positioned poorly in the dash and the display is not bright enough to see in the daytime.

I really had high hopes for this single multimedia unit, but must now admit if I could find a direct swap I wouldn't hesitate to pull that trigger. Not sure if this is a standard for Mercedes or a Thor specified unit, either way neither manufacturer even found the ball park to play in. Sorry for the rant...

Old 08-24-2020, 03:34 PM   #1642

State: British Columbia
THOR #20214
Gemini 23TW v 24TF

Hi Folks. Newbie on the forum. We've just put a deposit down on a new 23TW but we are now concerned that it won't have enough external storage. The dealer has a 24TF in stock as well which we could switch to. Main differences are as far as we can see 1)more external storage, 2)larger dream dinette (longer bed) and 3) MB instead of Ford. Of course the 24TF is more expensive but is it worth the extra? any thoughts gratefully received.
Old 08-24-2020, 04:02 PM   #1643

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
I am a fan of the MB chassis. Our Gemini was on that chassis, and IMO they drive like no other. It wanted to go in a straight line better than virtually anything else I have driven, except for our MB car. You will find, that in addition to the initial cost difference, maintenance is going to be more expensive too. Our RV dealer would not service it, so I took it to the local MB dealer for service, and any chassis issues, of which there were never any. Did have the dealer fix a number of 'house' issues. which they did and Thor always authorized any warrantee work that was needed.Long story short, If I was buying one today, I would go for the MB chassis.
Old 08-24-2020, 04:16 PM   #1644

Model: 24TF Compass / Mercedes
State: New York
THOR #17969
Can't imagine you would notice a huge difference between the two. Decide on what is a necessity to carry with you. Ford dealers are easier to find when needed. I have the Mercedes and 24 and so far we like the unit for the two of us. Plenty of power and comfortable accommodations. I wanted the Mercedes for the diesel and the longevity it provides. Every unit will have its issues and shortcomings so be ready. Spend the time to read through the forum and make sure you register on the owners link and do your homework regardless which unit you ultimately settle on. Make sure you completely check everything before accepting the delivery. Welcome aboard!
Old 08-24-2020, 07:18 PM   #1645

Model: compass 23tw
State: Texas
THOR #19878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coveman2 View Post
I called Thor and they told me that the coach batteries are charging when hooked to shore power with the USE/STORE switch on USE but the chassis batteries are not charging
when hooked to shore power. In the winter I hookup a smart charger to the chassis batteries and run shore power for a couple of days a month to the coach batteries, just to keep them fully charged. I also check the water levels every other month but have not had to add any water in the last two years and the batteries are staying at full power
Coveman2
2018 Thor Compass 23 TB
Thanks for checking with Thor.
If you have a battery isolator then I think the Thor manual was correct. I need to check the house battery compartment to see it this is in there.

I attached the complete document and spoke to them and no problems attaching a trickle charger to the chassis battery since the battery would have to drop to 80% before the isolater would kick in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-08-24_14-14-20.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	25761  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2020-08-24_14-14-20.pdf (745.5 KB, 32 views)
Old 08-24-2020, 08:04 PM   #1646

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I am on my 2nd MB Sprinter chassis motor home. I love it. It is a bit pricey when it comes to servicing it. It has plenty of power(torque) to climb the mountains and gets good mileage. There is an issue of keeping the chassis battery charged but a simple trickle charger works when stored. Mercedes did change out my chassis battery when it went dead and lucky for me I still had one month left on the factory MB warranty. Look at what suits your needs in a motor home and go for it no matter if Ford or Mercedes.

Paul
Old 08-26-2020, 06:55 PM   #1647

Model: Gemini TK
State: Nova Scotia
THOR #14078
Water pump

Pump runs smoothly and efficiently to flush toilet. Pump runs rough and jerky; like it’s skipping a beat to kitchen and bathroom sinks. Any thoughts on what might be wrong?
Old 08-26-2020, 07:52 PM   #1648

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
I would check the screens in the heads for any bits of plastic or other bits of debris from from the fresh water tank. Is the shower affected?
Coveman2
2018 Thor Compass 23 TB
Old 08-26-2020, 08:24 PM   #1649

THOR #14078
Quote:
I would check the screens in the heads for any bits of plastic or other bits of debris from from the fresh water tank. Is the shower affected?
Coveman2
2018 Thor Compass 23 TB
The shower is affected too...same jerky, like missing a beat. As well, if i pump to merely add water to toilet and not flush (when it pumps normally) the pump will be jerky then too. Also, worked fine last time out...jerky since last fill.
Old 08-26-2020, 08:40 PM   #1650

THOR #13224
Have you checked the strainer attached to the pump? It can get filled up with plastic bits
too. I had to clean mine out 3 or 4 times, it was mostly plastic bits when they drilled the holes for the fresh water tank and did not bother to flush them out just put the outlet on and hooked up the pump. BTW my pump seized while on our way to Alaska and got it replaced in Grande Prairie Alberta and reimbursed when we returned home. My old pump was doing something similar to what you describe but check the strainer first.
Coveman2
2018 Thor Compass 23 TB
Old 08-26-2020, 08:50 PM   #1651

THOR #14078
Quote:
Have you checked the strainer attached to the pump? It can get filled up with plastic bits
too. I had to clean mine out 3 or 4 times, it was mostly plastic bits when they drilled the holes for the fresh water tank and did not bother to flush them out just put the outlet on and hooked up the pump. BTW my pump seized while on our way to Alaska and got it replaced in Grande Prairie Alberta and reimbursed when we returned home. My old pump was doing something similar to what you describe but check the strainer first.
Coveman2
2018 Thor Compass 23 TB
Will check the strainer. Thanks so much for your quick, detailed, very helpful replies to my posts! As I was writing the original post I said to my partner, “I hope Coveman replies”

Judi
Gemini TK
Old 08-26-2020, 08:53 PM   #1652

THOR #13224
Us Canucks have to stick together and help wherever we can.
Coveman2
Old 08-27-2020, 11:35 AM   #1653

Model: Gemini SX, 2018 MB diesel
State: North Carolina
THOR #19778
I've got a slow leak in outside dually tire. RV is 1 month old. My question is where should I take it to fix it? Dealer told me to call Thor. Thor told me it would be Mercedes who would cover it. Mercedes told me it would be tire manufacturer who would cover it. I'm thinking I'll probably have to end up paying for it but if tire warranty covers it or not I should just take it to local truck tire repair shop.
Old 08-27-2020, 01:23 PM   #1654

THOR #13224
I had problems with the valve stems not sealing, I took it to a tire shop and they fixed it
right away.
Coveman2
2018 Thor Compass 23 TB
Old 08-27-2020, 06:30 PM   #1655

Model: compass 23tw
State: Texas
THOR #19878
RV Roof cover

Hello All,

Would anyone have any knowledge/experience with using a roof cover?

Adco makes one however, it didnt get very good reviews on the camping world website.

Need something temporary to keep the sun off until we can decide on another solution, either a carport or full cover.

Sun is brutal here in Central Texas.

Cheers!
Old 08-27-2020, 07:18 PM   #1656

Model: Four Winds 25V
State: British Columbia
THOR #16038
ADCO cover

I have a ADCO cover, I only use it in the winter though.I've had it two season now, and its been great. I live on the west coast of Canada (Vancouver B.C.) Our winters are mainly wet, what I like is the cover breathes and does dries out when wet. It has easy access to the inside of my Gemini for checking it out. I do recommend it.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:29 PM   #1657

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
I also use an ADCO cover for the winter. I like it. Use padding on sharp edges and tighten it down really well. But if you're thinking of a structure, I would accelerate my decision. I've never had one but would think it'll be a much better solution down the road.
Old 08-28-2020, 12:29 PM   #1658

Model: Gemini SX, 2018 MB diesel
State: North Carolina
THOR #19778
Valve stems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini Cruiser View Post
I've got a slow leak in outside dually tire. RV is 1 month old. My question is where should I take it to fix it? Dealer told me to call Thor. Thor told me it would be Mercedes who would cover it. Mercedes told me it would be tire manufacturer who would cover it. I'm thinking I'll probably have to end up paying for it but if tire warranty covers it or not I should just take it to local truck tire repair shop.
I took it to truck tire shop and they couldn't locate leak (losing a few pounds per day).

I am having these installed now.
https://yourtireshopsupply.com/category/796_832/sprinter-class

I'm hoping that particular tire's problem is the valve stem but if it continues leaking will have to replace the tire at 3000 miles.
Old 08-28-2020, 02:05 PM   #1659

Model: Gemini tw
State: Alberta
THOR #17351
Must not be a very reputable dealer. I had my 23TW into my dealer where I purchased it, and had no problem with warranty work. They just submit the repair to Thor first, never had an issue with them yet either. I had issues with the electronics last fall. I was 600 miles from the dealer, the service manager stayed up most of the night in their shop trying to figure out my problem on another unit by trying to make it fault like mine. Turned out to be a Bluetooth reader fault. Lippert had a new one air freighted to a destination in the US where we were headed. Picked it up a day later and boom, fixed.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:19 PM   #1660

Brand: Still Looking
State: Maine
THOR #19901
I have an offer in on a used 2017 Gemini 23TR. I noticed it has the "old" control panel and not the new touch screen. Has anyone replaced the old control panel with a newer one with a touch screen?

Also, anything I should look for when I go see the unit? Thanks!

Scott

Tags
cutout, dinette, modification, murphy bed, opening, wall