Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2021, 11:49 PM   #1881

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Compass
State: Arizona
THOR #23141
Wonder if anyone set up the rear view display on the infotainment screen instead of the mirror.

Old 05-15-2021, 12:36 AM   #1882

Model: Gemini 23 TW
State: Oregon
THOR #23049
Unhappy All issues so far with my 2021 Gemini 23 TW

I have just returned from a 3 day shakedown run. Here is a list of all the problems I encountered so far (and maybe fixed):

1. Coach door doesn't not close flush, is hard to open/shut. (Will try adding 2 washers behind the post the latch closes against.)

2. XM radio did not work - "antenna fault". Took center of dash apart and verified the "curry-yellow" connector was attached to the (unlabeled but curry yellow) antenna jack on the radio unit. Removed, added new XM antenna, routed cable through the vent panel behind the radio compartment and attached to front edge of dash. Works now.

3. GPS did not work - antenna not connected.

4. Water leak from fresh tank - three loose fittings. Seems to be fixed. Hint: remove the right hand drawer under the "couch" to access most of the tank fittings. Push (up or down) on the little black latch arms to remove the drawer from the slides. Cleaned out a lot of manufacturing trash from this area.

5. Soft spot on floor under the "kitchen vent". Feels "soft, about a 6x8" rectangle with a hard lump (maybe a wood fragment or bolt head lifting up). Unresolved.

6. Three of the black velcro disks (attachment for the windshield screen) pulled out on first use. Might try superglue.

7. Smoke detector fell off. Screws were stripped out in the backing material (maybe fiberglass, but not wood).

8. Heat pump in the 15k BTU A/C upgrade not accessible via the control panel. On the BMPro screen, select the Climate screen, turn on the main system (the thermostat circle) then you can select "heat " or "cool". If you select heat, there is no further choice (heat pump vs. furnace). Sent yet another email to BMPro about a possible low level config setting missed for the 15k upgrade (the 13k base option has no heat pump).

9. In order to add a clear "flush flange" (such as the RINO Sewer Blaster rinse, the clear connector to flush the sewer pipe from drain fitting to valves, and the sewer hose) with the hose connector to the sewer line (on my Class A and trailer it could attach directly to the pipe on the RV), I had to by a 3' RHINO hose to attach in the sewer bay and then attach the cleanout flange to it (then attach the main sewer hose to the flange). The angle of the sewer connection inside the bay, and location relative to the pass thru hole is wrong.

10. The slide will only work on shore power or generator (cannot simply run the engine or use batteries). Annoyance.

11. Some drawers are misaligned and hard to open. Had to loosen screws on sliders (the rear section) to realign.

12. Cannot remove the gen cover. It will drop down about six inches and then get stuck. Can't remove from any other direction either. So can't get to manual controls, dip stick, change oil, etc. Unresolved.

13. Exhaust pipe for gen directly contacts the fiberglass body - already scorching it. Probably need to crawl under rear of RV and bend some fittings around.

14. While search for the water tank leak, I found an access panel in the left rear storage compartment that hides the water pump and some hoses and fittings. Lots of junk (bits of wood, plastic bits, screws, sawdust, pieces of slip ties (?) to cleanout. The water pump filter is easily accessible there.

15. Lots of small marks and scrapes on the finish (cabinets, walls, slide trim).

I think I have missed a couple more items - don't have the RV here to go look.
Old 05-15-2021, 04:29 PM   #1883

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenway View Post
I have just returned from a 3 day shakedown run. Here is a list of all the problems I encountered so far (and maybe fixed):

1. Coach door doesn't not close flush, is hard to open/shut. (Will try adding 2 washers behind the post the latch closes against.)

2. XM radio did not work - "antenna fault". Took center of dash apart and verified the "curry-yellow" connector was attached to the (unlabeled but curry yellow) antenna jack on the radio unit. Removed, added new XM antenna, routed cable through the vent panel behind the radio compartment and attached to front edge of dash. Works now.

3. GPS did not work - antenna not connected.

4. Water leak from fresh tank - three loose fittings. Seems to be fixed. Hint: remove the right hand drawer under the "couch" to access most of the tank fittings. Push (up or down) on the little black latch arms to remove the drawer from the slides. Cleaned out a lot of manufacturing trash from this area.

5. Soft spot on floor under the "kitchen vent". Feels "soft, about a 6x8" rectangle with a hard lump (maybe a wood fragment or bolt head lifting up). Unresolved.

6. Three of the black velcro disks (attachment for the windshield screen) pulled out on first use. Might try superglue.

7. Smoke detector fell off. Screws were stripped out in the backing material (maybe fiberglass, but not wood).

8. Heat pump in the 15k BTU A/C upgrade not accessible via the control panel. On the BMPro screen, select the Climate screen, turn on the main system (the thermostat circle) then you can select "heat " or "cool". If you select heat, there is no further choice (heat pump vs. furnace). Sent yet another email to BMPro about a possible low level config setting missed for the 15k upgrade (the 13k base option has no heat pump).

9. In order to add a clear "flush flange" (such as the RINO Sewer Blaster rinse, the clear connector to flush the sewer pipe from drain fitting to valves, and the sewer hose) with the hose connector to the sewer line (on my Class A and trailer it could attach directly to the pipe on the RV), I had to by a 3' RHINO hose to attach in the sewer bay and then attach the cleanout flange to it (then attach the main sewer hose to the flange). The angle of the sewer connection inside the bay, and location relative to the pass thru hole is wrong.

10. The slide will only work on shore power or generator (cannot simply run the engine or use batteries). Annoyance.

11. Some drawers are misaligned and hard to open. Had to loosen screws on sliders (the rear section) to realign.

12. Cannot remove the gen cover. It will drop down about six inches and then get stuck. Can't remove from any other direction either. So can't get to manual controls, dip stick, change oil, etc. Unresolved.

13. Exhaust pipe for gen directly contacts the fiberglass body - already scorching it. Probably need to crawl under rear of RV and bend some fittings around.

14. While search for the water tank leak, I found an access panel in the left rear storage compartment that hides the water pump and some hoses and fittings. Lots of junk (bits of wood, plastic bits, screws, sawdust, pieces of slip ties (?) to cleanout. The water pump filter is easily accessible there.

15. Lots of small marks and scrapes on the finish (cabinets, walls, slide trim).

I think I have missed a couple more items - don't have the RV here to go look.

Sounds about normal for a new coach, sad to say. The good news is that you’re paying attention and have a good punch list. Once you get things straightened out you’ll probably get good service from your machine. Try not to get too upset and remember it’s a “recreational” activity.

Good luck.
Old 05-15-2021, 05:46 PM   #1884

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Hi abenway

From what I have seen and read on the forum regarding the Gemini generator cover, you have to first release the cover. You need to slightly lift up and pull the bottom away from the generator and then lift it up to wedge it out. Some have said that you have to drop it out and down to remove it. It can be tricky to get it out in such a tight space. I do no not have the Gemini and do not have that issue on my generator. You do need to remove the cover to access the components/oil changes...

Good luck. It seems you have a good handle on some of the issues. Take them one at a time and be patient.

Paul
Old 05-15-2021, 06:52 PM   #1885

THOR #23049
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
Hi abenway

From what I have seen and read on the forum regarding the Gemini generator cover, you have to first release the cover. You need to slightly lift up and pull the bottom away from the generator and then lift it up to wedge it out. Some have said that you have to drop it out and down to remove it. It can be tricky to get it out in such a tight space. I do no not have the Gemini and do not have that issue on my generator. You do need to remove the cover to access the components/oil changes...

Good luck. It seems you have a good handle on some of the issues. Take them one at a time and be patient.

Paul
Hi Paul,

I tried all manner of manipulations to remove the cover after unlatching it. I will try removing the latch handles to gain more clearance. Have to crawl under and eyeball the options, when I fix the gen exhaust pipe problem (pushes up against the rear body).
Old 05-15-2021, 11:35 PM   #1886

THOR #23049
Talking Little blue light

It is a night lite for bugs....:
Old 05-15-2021, 11:48 PM   #1887

THOR #23049
Accessing radio inside dash 2020 Transit

Here is the METRA diagrams that show how to pull apart the center dash area and access the "radio". Here is a pic of the radio unit after pulling the main dash panel off. The leftmost Fakra connector cable is XM and the center one seems to be AM/FM. No idea what the unused one is for.

There is another "curry-yellow" Fakra connector on the back of the 8" display that seems to be the GPS antenna. If you need to bypass the roof mounted XM antenna (like I did - broken connection somewhere), make sure you order an XM antenna with the Fakra connector.

Note: There are zero labels or markings (except a parts sticker) on the radio unit. No illustrations on Ford parts sites (just a minimal line drawing). The hardest part of digging into the dash was the removal of the top panel in Step 1. Make sure you have some plastic panel levers (car parts stores like O'Reilly have them) to pry this open.

NOTE: Once again the upload flips the pic upside down. Odd.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210501_172922.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	30518  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf METRA Transit dash access.pdf (670.2 KB, 91 views)
Old 05-16-2021, 02:14 PM   #1888

Model: Outlaw 29H
State: Ontario
THOR #4874
Gotta luv Thor Quality Control.

Like to say you are just having an unusual experience but this is my 3rd Thor and I just expect this many bugs as part of the purchase.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:16 PM   #1889

State: Iowa
THOR #9915
Trailer plug problem

I need help from someone who knows more about automotive electrical systems than I.
Our rig is a 2017 Gemini on a Ford Diesel chassis. Once we got the bugs our of it, we have put many happy miles on it. However . . .
We are adding a storage box back on the receiver. As a matter of safety, we are adding turn signals/running lights to the box. Before we got to far, we checked the plug for power. The only thing that worked was the running lights.
Today my son and I spent 3 hours under the thing trying to find out why. He is a smart man, me - not so much. NO LUCK! We could find no loose connections, blown fuses, etc - we even probed the wires leading to the plug no power.
The Transit forum only made the issue more frustrating.
I'm looking for ideas, things to try, so I don't have to cut into the wiring harness and hard wire in a new plug.
DonB
Old 05-18-2021, 09:41 PM   #1890

State: Florida
THOR #22741
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB View Post
I need help from someone who knows more about automotive electrical systems than I.
Our rig is a 2017 Gemini on a Ford Diesel chassis. Once we got the bugs our of it, we have put many happy miles on it. However . . .
We are adding a storage box back on the receiver. As a matter of safety, we are adding turn signals/running lights to the box. Before we got to far, we checked the plug for power. The only thing that worked was the running lights.
Today my son and I spent 3 hours under the thing trying to find out why. He is a smart man, me - not so much. NO LUCK! We could find no loose connections, blown fuses, etc - we even probed the wires leading to the plug no power.
The Transit forum only made the issue more frustrating.
I'm looking for ideas, things to try, so I don't have to cut into the wiring harness and hard wire in a new plug.

DonB
I only have one suggestion - make sure the wiring has not touched the exhaust and melted the wires
This happened to me on a different rig
Old 05-19-2021, 12:32 AM   #1891

Model: Compass 23 TB
THOR #13224
IMHO would go to a trailer wiring shop and have them figure it out, sometimes its best to leave it to the pros.
Coveman2
2018 Compass 23 TB
Old 05-22-2021, 05:41 PM   #1892

State: Iowa
THOR #9915
Thanks 4dsx4 and coveman2.
Not the exhaust, itis on the other side of the R V.
This professionals is a good idea, but none in the area, will let Ford see if they can find it.
DonB
Old 05-22-2021, 08:06 PM   #1893

THOR #23049
Smile Solved missing heat pump choice on 2021 Gemini 23TW

Under CLIMATE, there is a choice of "cool" or "heat". There was no choice under "heat" for "furnace" vs. "heat strip". I fixed that using doc from support at BMPro (they are good at answering my queries). I followed their simple steps and now it works.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 035289_Configuring_RV_v1.pdf (723.0 KB, 91 views)
Old 05-22-2021, 08:19 PM   #1894

THOR #23049
Solving running board question for 2021 Gemini Transit

It is too hard for my wife to get into the cab currently. Coming in through the coach door and squeezing down into the passenger seat is also difficult. I have factory running boards on my 2012 Ford F150 Supercrew 4x4, and they helped a lot.

I discovered that there are many running board sources, but none of them work on the "Transit cutaway" version (Gemini, Compass).

There was a reference to one company (Caveman02 ?) in the main Forum (should be moved to this one) at CycleVan.com (go to Transit section). You end up at transitvanworld.com. There are three styles. I chose the Black in Short/Short (required for us) option. They provide an installation video (on a Transit cargo van).

I was told over the phone that as long as the distance from the rear of the door to the wheel well was 29" or more, it would work. On the Gemini, the door width is 31", and the door edge-to-wheel-well is 33+".

With shipping (from NJ to OR coast) the cost is about $450 (includes hardware). I will have a local RV Mobile Repair dude install them (about $150) since I can't lay on my back and work underneath the RV (needs to be lifted up some). I will update with pics when done. Maybe by next Wednesday.
Old 05-22-2021, 08:30 PM   #1895

THOR #23049
Solved gen exhaust rubbing on coach body on Gemini 23 TW

OK, so the Thor crew didn't think it mattered that the exhaust pipe is firmly lodged against the fiberglass body at the rear end. With 2.5 hours on the gen that area is already looking scorched.

I looked underneath, and there is a rubber strap with a metal clamp holding the last bit of the pipe in place. There is no adjustment to drop it lower. Having 8 years experience in the Army (68-76) in tanks, I learned "field expediency" techniques. Like using a small piece of C4 (well, in RVN anyway) to remove stuck end-connector blocks on the tank's tracks (bolt heads get rubbed off in use).

I cut the handle off an old straw broom (precise fit), slid it into the last 8 inches of the pipe, and slowly levered it down (didn't want to snap the rubber hanger). I gained about an inch of clearance which may be enough.

Old 05-22-2021, 10:08 PM   #1896

THOR #13224
I got the Carr running boards made especially for the Ford Transit and am very happy how they fit. I did have my local mechanic install them, but did need some adjustments to the original fit.
Coveman2
Old 05-24-2021, 11:33 AM   #1897

THOR #13224
Entrance door privacy window

Was working on the Compass yesterday, opened the door and the inside opaque glass just fell out, was lucky it hit my foot or may have broken, Has anyone any idea what kind of glue or caulking would work to reinstall.
Thanks
Coveman2
2018 Compass 23 TB
Old 05-27-2021, 05:57 PM   #1898

Model: Compass
State: Arizona
THOR #23141
I understand that there are three versions of the Truma wa tr er heater. Basic, comfort, and comfort plus. Can anyone tell me which version is installed on the Compass and how it differs from other versions.
Old 05-27-2021, 06:44 PM   #1899

Model: compass 23tw
State: California
THOR #7466
Quote:
Originally Posted by butchspiller@yahoo.com View Post
I understand that there are three versions of the Truma wa tr er heater. Basic, comfort, and comfort plus. Can anyone tell me which version is installed on the Compass and how it differs from other versions.
Hello, I had a New Gemini I bought in 2017 & now I have a 2021 Compass they both were equipped with a Girard tankless water heater,That is a different brand & operates differently.
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 07:24 PM   #1900

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
Same as Safari. We have a 2019 Compass with a Girard water heater.

Tags
cutout, dinette, modification, murphy bed, opening, wall