Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2018, 08:29 PM   #501

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Compass 23TB
State: Virginia
THOR #11030
Compass 23tb 5th trip

Well our 5th trip in the Compass from Virginia Beach Va. to Ashland Oh. went as well as expected. Our fridge is still out but we managed on Alpicool cooler. The new marine batteries are a great upgrade. All other systems no problems.

The Compass is now finally in the shop, it't been over a week, how much longer nobody knows.

I made a short video of our trip...trying to upload it.
Also...Thanks for that trip update Mountain! Keep em rollin.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:43 PM   #502

Model: Compass 23TB
State: Virginia
THOR #11030
Old 07-22-2018, 11:43 AM   #503

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #12128
What is the difference between the Gemini and the Compass.
We just purchased Compass 24TX
Old 07-22-2018, 03:43 PM   #504

Brand: Still Looking
State: Oregon
THOR #12089
SumoSprings

mountainsam, it's good to hear an unsolicited endorsement for the SumoSprings. Truck blasts and being jostled around in their vacuum wake make driving a nervous pain rather than relaxing. Strong winds aren't fun either. I installed SumoSprings myself on the rear of my previous B+ coach (Chevy Express 3500 cutaway chassis) and the improvement was worth every penny of their $200 cost. BTW, be sure to PM me your contact info; I'm anxious to see your rig on our Monday trip south.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:50 PM   #505

State: Iowa
THOR #10014
Has anyone else had trouble with their clear coat disappearing on the cap over the cab? I have an estimate of $2000 to fix, seems like Thor should be responsible
Old 07-24-2018, 04:53 PM   #506

THOR #10014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
We also use a step stool to get into bed. Getting out is no problem. Ours is just a two step folding stool that fits right under the end of the bed but folds up and stores easily when the bed is up.

We just finished a trip around the Rockies. California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon and back to California. About half on two lane highways. Basically Plumas Lake CA to Denver to Spokane To Plumas Lake CA .The Ford 3.2 diesel and Select Shift was flawless. Finished the trip with 15.7 MPG. Sumo springs really did the trick for handling truck blasts and cross winds.

One cabinet door fell off and one blind fell down. The blind I blame on the repair shop that installed the new kitchen window last month. The cabinet door due to short small screws in cheap partial board. It will be an easy fix.

We did purchase a tower fan after spending a few nights with the A/C not being able to cool efficiently. And what a differance it made. While watching the front tv with a/c on in the bedroom we placed the tower fan in front of the bathroom door and it was all we needed to make the coach comfortable. Even had to turn the a/c fan on low. The tower fan runs very quietly. The tv cable was a no show. Very bad reception. The antenna did a great job most places but limited channels.

We stayed in KOA's all the way with the exception of a week in Estes Park CO at the Historic Cregs Lodge and a night at the New Frontier RV Park in Wennimucca NV. No complaints.

Time to start planning the next adventure.
Did you put sumo springs on the front or rear or both?
Old 07-24-2018, 08:54 PM   #507

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by debsmith93 View Post
Did you put sumo springs on the front or rear or both?
Just the rear. The Gemini is handling great now so I don't think I will bother with the front.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:06 PM   #508

THOR #6701
Quote:
Has anyone else had trouble with their clear coat disappearing on the cap over the cab? I have an estimate of $2000 to fix, seems like Thor should be responsible
I had problems with ours but we bought the overpriced paint protection warranty and they sent a detailer to our house and cleaned it up pretty nice. Of course if you have an estimate for $2000 for repairs maybe the warranty was worth the cost. What model and year coach do you have?
Old 07-24-2018, 09:29 PM   #509

THOR #6701
Cabinet repair

While on our last trip a cabinet door fell off due to the short screws Thor used to attach them.

Heres my fix. I know this has been covered several times but everyone has a differant method.

I used 1/4-20 X 1" stainless stove bolts with those little decretive rings and lock nuts on the back. I have to change out the lock nuts for standard nuts and lock tite. The 1" bolts aren't long enough to contact the nylon lock ring. If it all holds together I will convert all the cabinets.http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1532467146
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2201.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	11723   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2203.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	11724  

Old 07-24-2018, 09:57 PM   #510

THOR #10014
I have the 2016 23tr. I just didn't think it should be off so soon. I called Thor but didn't get much help. I really do like the Gemini!
Old 07-24-2018, 11:41 PM   #511

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
While on our last trip a cabinet door fell off due to the short screws Thor used to attach them.

Heres my fix. I know this has been covered several times but everyone has a differant method.

I used 1/4-20 X 1" stainless stove bolts with those little decretive rings and lock nuts on the back. I have to change out the lock nuts for standard nuts and lock tite. The 1" bolts aren't long enough to contact the nylon lock ring. If it all holds together I will convert all the cabinets.http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1532467146

By golly that ought to do the trick! Looks nice too.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:58 PM   #512

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
That looks pretty good. We have had one fall apart, and a couple of others get loose and almost disassemble. Under warrantee had the dealer fix them. Have my supply of filler and glue if I need it.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:58 AM   #513

Model: Windsport 31z
State: Arizona
THOR #8277
Quote:

Ours is in the CW body shop now having the Yellow spots fixed and repainted. Thor is paying.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:19 AM   #514

Model: 2017 Compass 23TR
State: Florida
THOR #9752
Engine and Cabin Air Filters

Just order a K&N Air Filter for the Compass' Ford Diesel 3.2 engine. I swear by K&N filters. MPG improves as well as performance! In any event, I decided to get a cabin air filter also. Since I couldn't' find one on the K&N website, I started to research. Seems Ford does not list a cabin air filter but there is a place for one. ??? Strange ???

Found several videos on youtube showing the cabin air filter for a Ford Transit 3500HD and how to insert/replace the filter even though Ford does not list a part number.

Anyone add a cabin air filter in their Transit? Filter used on videos is from Baldwin Filters (Germany) and sold be Grainger, Zoro, Walmart, Amazon, ebay and etc. Amazon was out of stock so I ordered from Zoro (a very good company, like Grainger, I have used before for tools and etc.)

FYI: Baldwin Part# PA30000, Zoro Part# G0383096

$15.92 with $1.47 tax and $5.00 shipping total was $22.39

Paul
Old 07-25-2018, 11:29 AM   #515

Model: 2017 Compass 23TR
THOR #9752
Oops -

I meant to list the K&N Part # for the Engine Air Filter - K&N #33-5024
A tad expensive at $81 plus tax but I find they are well worth the investment. I have them in all my cars, daily drivers and antiques. Simply take them out and clean them once a year and put back in. K&N cleaner and oil replenish kits are available everywhere.

Also, TYPO alert! I didnt' mean 3500HD, one too many zero's 350HD is correct.

Paul
Old 07-25-2018, 02:35 PM   #516

THOR #10014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfdchief24 View Post
Ours is in the CW body shop now having the Yellow spots fixed and repainted. Thor is paying.
What year is your unit and how did you get them to pay for it?
Old 07-26-2018, 12:40 PM   #517

Model: Gemini 23TB
State: North Carolina
THOR #11076
Shower

I'm really new to this whole thing. Have had our Gemini 24TR for about 3 months and lovin it! alot of minor issues that the dealer has taken care of but one that they say "that's the way it's supposed to be". That's the shower ... our walls come down over the base but are not attached to the base anywhere. Seems like that would cause a lot of moisture to go up behind the shower wall and cause problems. Anyone seen this and am I right or is that the way its supposed to be?
Thanks
Scott
Old 07-26-2018, 01:01 PM   #518

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
It's all about how fast they can make them. Most RV showers are sectional like your's is. I caulked up into this area on my new unit as well as the last TT we had, as soon as we bought them. Also, the area at the top of the shower stall, where it meets the wall is generally loose and open in some spots as well. One of the first things to do is secure your shower enclosure all around. Otherwise...big repairs down the road. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to order a new MH, pay extra and walk down the assembly line as they build it, caulking these areas, securing wires better and checking all terminations before the walls go up?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:56 AM   #519

Model: Windsport 31z
State: Arizona
THOR #8277
Quote:
What year is your unit and how did you get them to pay for it?

2017 Gemini tr still under warranty. They have had it for a week and still haven’t started on it though? I guess I’ll have to start stopping by every other day and check on the progress!
Old 07-29-2018, 07:31 PM   #520

Model: Gemini
State: Alabama
THOR #7475
Just finished a 10 day 2500 mile road trip. Went from central Illinois to east coast and back. Gemini held up good. Setbacks were as follows.
• forums chit chat about manufacturers supply , house batteries lasting no longer than two years , is true. Ours refused to hold charge 1 day before primitive camping. (Auto zone found on Google maps )
• diesel DEF ran dry at 6500 mile. (Auto zone )
• discovered that., while primitive camping, using house battery for fridge, w in use switch on , only cabin lights work, not outlets.
Also any one else discover water stains around front moon window.

Tags
cutout, dinette, modification, murphy bed, opening, wall