Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2018, 11:44 PM   #721
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmilla View Post
Hi soarin76,
Sounds like you have had great success in troubleshooting a lot of future problems! Much better than discovering these things on the road;-) As you say, making sure all the big stuff is working is huge --so big congrats! Nancy
I agree...

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:26 AM   #722

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Compass 23TB
State: British Columbia
THOR #13560
Quote:
Originally Posted by vngaspar View Post
I removed my Jensen from the panel and there was a HDMI cable connected, I traced it back to the central distribution cabinet above the frig, I cannot get my TV's to play audio through the Jensen system, I also saw a set of RCA cables plugged into the input for the AUX, does anyone know where the other end terminate?
Did you ever get an answer to this? I’m troubleshooting some HDMI issues with the Jensen... DVD audio is coming through the three sets of Jensen speakers but not getting any video to any of the TVs while playing a DVD no matter which source I choose (HDMI1,2,3) on any TV. Found the HDMI splitter in the cabinet above the fridge - power light is on and all HDMI cables seated nicely. Thought maybe they were all in the wrong ports so tried every combo - nothing. So going to go to Best Buy and find a different HDMI splitter and see if that solves the problem! Any other ideas? Also not getting any normal coax antannae signal to the bedroom TV even though the coax cable is nicely seated. Weird LOL
Old 11-22-2018, 10:51 PM   #723

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Texas
THOR #7972
Jensen HDMI problems & fix

Search “Jensen HDMI problems & fix” for my hdmi cable issues. It’s in my Compass ownership so far post #26.
Hugh
Old 11-22-2018, 11:59 PM   #724

THOR #13560
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrhugh View Post
Search “Jensen HDMI problems & fix” for my hdmi cable issues. It’s in my Compass ownership so far post #26.

Hugh

Figured it out...though not **exactly** the same issue, it’s close. Pulled the Jensen unit out of the wall and discovered whomever inserted the HDMI cable into the HDMI port on the back pushed it in so hard that it literally dislodged the HDMI port itself from the circuit card of the Jensen unit inside the Jensen enclosure! I’m going to speculate it’s due to the speed at which they build these things - and also speculate that the QA process does not test that a DVD video outputs to each TV or this would have been caught. No biggie, for now I have a small old little DVD player that fits in the cabinet above the fridge perfectly - installed it - tested it - DVD video going to all the TVs. So yeah, no surround sound for now. But at least I can watch movies if I feel like it and it’s still decent sound direct from the TV. On the list of deficiencies for my February service!
Old 11-24-2018, 01:00 PM   #725

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
Ford Transit Recalls

If you are not aware there is two recalls on chassis made in 2017 one is a safety issue and the other is a powertrain programming upgrade. The safety recall has to do with the Trailer Module wiring and could be a big problem if not dealt with immediately. I only became aware of this by me calling Ford to discuss whether Thor Industries had informed Ford who now owns the vehicle and to receive any further recalls. The other issue is that this recall was released in November of 2017, which means that new Gemini`s and Compass`s should have had this done before they were sold.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:13 PM   #726

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coveman2 View Post
If you are not aware there is two recalls on chassis made in 2017 one is a safety issue and the other is a powertrain programming upgrade. The safety recall has to do with the Trailer Module wiring and could be a big problem if not dealt with immediately. I only became aware of this by me calling Ford to discuss whether Thor Industries had informed Ford who now owns the vehicle and to receive any further recalls. The other issue is that this recall was released in November of 2017, which means that new Gemini`s and Compass`s should have had this done before they were sold.

I received recall information directly from Ford on these recalls and both were taken care of promptly at the local Ford Fleet Dealer. I believe manufacturers track ownership through DMV registrations.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:05 PM   #727

Model: 4-Winds 28F
State: Kansas
THOR #4709
General Question: I have a 1015 Thor 4 Winds, sits in my driveway when not on the road. Is it better to leave the jacks DOWN when not in use, even during bad weather. Do the legs on jacks rust (okay, I'm female & pushing 84).... humor me, I am serious about this.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:50 PM   #728
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
This is a really GOOD question!
I would put my jacks down... But I'm also just ambitious enough to crawl under the rig, and give them a coating of lube (to prevent rusting...)
I'm not sure if you want to tackle this chore...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 06:25 PM   #729

THOR #6701
If these are leveling jacks it should be fine to leave them down. If they are stabilizers then do not leave them down. Stabilizers are not designed to handle the full weight that could be placed on them if a tire should go flat or for snow accumulations. These things are designed to bump and bang down the road without the support of levelers or stabilizers, they can certainly sit in a drive way without them. Just my opinion.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:49 PM   #730

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Texas
THOR #7972
Compass 23TR bed slat

It finally happened. One of the slats on the fold down bed broke. Anyone know where to get a replacement? Also how to replace one slat.
Thanks,
Hugh
Old 11-24-2018, 06:56 PM   #731

Model: 4-Winds 28F
State: Kansas
THOR #4709
Thanks to both of you for the quick reply. I really don't know the difference between stabilizers and jacks... I must put them down before putting the slide out (does that mean anything?) The place with all the buttons (don't laugh at the old lady) calls them jacks.

If I can find the right kind of goop to put on those jacks, it's probably a safer job than being on the ladder 5 steps up when spraying the stuff on the top slides... and stepping back OFF the ladder when wind blew that goop in my face. I did not fall, I stepped back. Was sore for a while after landing on that concrete, but nothing I could show for sympathy. I will ask my son if I have the right stuff. He had open heart surgery (58) 2 weeks ago, replaced his aortic valve because of an infection that went crazy in his body. Beware, you can't bully your body, even the toughest of you! He is doing well but will be a life long every 10 year replacement. I had mine replaced 6 years ago but mine was an inherited defect, nothing to do with his. Anyway, I thank you for the advice & will do the fix. My son had also recommended leaving the jacks down. Care to explain the difference between stabilizers & jacks?
Old 11-25-2018, 02:12 AM   #732

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBird View Post
Care to explain the difference between stabilizers & jacks?
Stabilizers only help to remove wobble after the rig has been levelled by other means, like blocks under the tires. When being stored for a month or several months stabilizers should be up to prevent damage in case a tire should lose air pressure or heavy rains washing under a tire which adds more weight to the stabilizer than what it's designed for.

Levelers are designed to accept all the weight of the RV and can actually raise a tire off the ground if necessary to level the rig.

Other considerations would be the drive way surface or the probability of the leveler seals bleeding off from constant temperature changes.

Park it, set a couple wheel chokes and the parking brake and don't worry. Thats how mine spends it's idle months.

Very sorry to read of your sons heart issues. I have been through it myself.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:15 AM   #733

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrhugh View Post
It finally happened. One of the slats on the fold down bed broke. Anyone know where to get a replacement? Also how to replace one slat.
Thanks,
Hugh
Hugh, I can't help you with the slat but I will be looking as I know it will happen to me one day. I think if I can find a source I will pick up a couple spares.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:39 PM   #734

State: Arizona
THOR #13161
Jensen

soarin76

There are 4 hdmi connectors in the cabinet above the frig, I had one that was wrapped with a little electrical tape, which I found was the one attached to the back of the Jensen unit, I used this cable for the input on my splitter which connects all 3 tv's, when I play a dvd on the Jensen I can watch the dvd through all televisions and play the sound through speakers A,B, or C

The coax is setup with a power inserter, if you look @ the king jack also in the cabinet above the frig there is a small button that turns this on, this tremendously helped with the over air signal

https://kingconnect.com/wp-content/u...COMPRESSED.pdf

I have not figured out where the RCA cables that are plugged into the back of the Jensen terminate
Old 11-26-2018, 01:42 PM   #735

Model: 23 TR
State: Florida
THOR #10954
Always check your oil & filter after service

Just had my local Ford dealer do a oil change. Just before I leave on a trip, I like most check oil level. Found out that they didn't change oil or filter. Filter was leaking and totally covered in dirt. I live 6 miles from dealer. After photos including odometer photo showed 6 miles since service they agreed to do what I paid the to do and change the oil. As a pay back for the technician, who argued with me, said that it was changed even thought it was totally black and now light tan color; he parked me 6" from building and about 6" off the car in front of me!! Thanks
Old 11-26-2018, 02:47 PM   #736

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
I would check in with the service manager at that dealership. I have little patience with any mechanic or shop that attempts to scam consumers. If you don't get satisfaction from the service manager, start up the ladder, to the dealership owner, and maybe even a letter to Ford.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:24 PM   #737

THOR #10954
Yes, I did go though the service manger and when I couldn't get a call back the general manager. They were conversational and did get the service done that I had already paid for. No extra or explanation as to why this happened.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:27 PM   #738

THOR #10954
Yes we found that by attaching the back end of the plastic to the bottom on the slide is moves much better now. had posted a photo in earlier post.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:55 PM   #739

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Glad you got that resolved, but you have to wonder how many they have done that to, that did not catch it!!!!!!!!!! The tech that did that needs to be gone!!!!
Old 11-27-2018, 01:56 AM   #740

THOR #13560
Doing some Winter RV'ing for shakedown - and I have a couple of questions...

....for all of your helpful ladies and gents that have weighed in on some of my early questions - thank you! Here is another one: I plan on doing my shakedown "cruise" starting next Monday. I'm going to a local Provincial Park about 90 minutes from home, just up the Sea to Sky Highway from Vancouver in a place called Porteau Cove. I will have 30 amp electrical hookups but no water or sewage hookups. I have heated holding tanks for black and grey water but not fresh - I believe that's because my freshwater tank is sort of "inside" under the pantry/closet. The unit is currently winterized. Now the crux - the weather is supposed to hover between -1 (Celsius) and -8 (Celsius) over the course of the three days I will be there. With 30 amp service I intend to do the following:

1) I have a small electric de-humidifier that is working BRILLIANTLY and I will keep it plugged in and running while I am camping.

2) I will crack the roof vents (which have vent covers) very slightly to help any excess moisture escape.

3) I will use a small ceramic space heater (with safety shutoff etc) also plugged in to an outlet to reduce the load on the furnace and save a bit of propane - but I will also keep the furnace set at about 22 Celsius.

4) I will leave the bathroom door and cupboard doors open to allow heat to get into the spaces where the water lines are (even though they have anti-freeze in them) just to ensure there are no issues.

5) I will leave my black/grey water holding tank heaters on.

6) I have portable water jugs I will bring for cooking water/cleaning water etc. I will use a bowl in the sink for washing dishes etc. then dispose of that water outside.

Am I over thinking this? Is it not cold enough to worry for a couple of days and should I feel okay using fresh water from the holding tank?

I am less concerned about ME staying warm, between a ceramic heater and the furnace in the small space... my bigger concern is freezing water lines.

So let's say I keep it winterized and use my portable water jugs for my needs - here is the question: Can I use the RV toilet with RV antifreeze as a flushing agent? Either by pouring it in when I flush - or by leaving the water pump on and the bypass inserted into a massive jug of RV anti-freeze as well as the tank heater?

I hate the idea of trudging across the campground in the middle of the night to use the campsite bathroom?

Is it safer to use an insert bag like the Double Doodie bags or something?

Last question - snow!! It may snow... anywhere from 2 to 5 cm throughout the course of time there. I am obviously going to go out in the morning if it's snowed and brush off the snow from the slide-out awning and as much off the roof of the RV as possible. Anything else I should worry about? I don't intend to use the main awning if it's too snowy or windy...

Thanks for your help! Just want to cover some bases... anyo ther advice is most welcome!

Cheers!

Tags
cutout, dinette, modification, murphy bed, opening, wall