Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2019, 01:57 AM   #1161

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Compass 23TR
State: Texas
THOR #7972
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDC54 View Post
Wondering if any 23TR owners out there might be able to help me with a question...

I was trying to track down a loud rattling noise that comes from the generator exhaust pipe when I happened to look at the rear mud flaps. The mud flaps are held sandwiched between the sides of a U shaped bracket, and secured with a single bolt and a nylon lock nut. The bolt was completely missing on one side, and I was able to remove the other one with my bare hands (so I’m thinking that the missing bolt just worked its way loose and fell out on the road).

So here is my question...I’m about to replace the bolts with stainless steel bolts and washers, using Loctite, and I’m wondering if I should leave some play in it, or tighten the nut down?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts...
My 2017 23TR had the same loose mud flap issue when new. It tightened mine snug with lock nuts. Two years later, still tight. I notice they were barely hanging on while securing the tail light wiring. I routinely look for loose and stripped fasteners.

Old 08-08-2019, 02:38 AM   #1162

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I have used simple green and a bit of elbow grease to clean the underside of the canopy. You have to leave it open until it is dry.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:51 PM   #1163

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul N View Post
Anyone with a 23TR have an issue with the decal on the rear slide. The clear areas of our decal mildewed and cracked. It looked VERY nasty so we removed it. Thor sent us a new decal but I'm not sure I want to put it on if it is going to do the same thing again. Plan on getting a quote to refinish the rear slide to remove the shadow of the old decal. All other decals are fine. No issues at all.

Paul
Paul, my rear decals have a heavy brown appearance and a cracking pattern only on the clear portions. Its probably throughout the decal just not visible in the dark areas. I would like to follow your process to see what works. Like you , I don't think I will reinstall the decals.
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1565462970
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3234.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	19550  
Old 08-13-2019, 04:08 PM   #1164

Model: 2017 Compass 23TR
State: Florida
THOR #9752
That is exactly how our decal looked. It was only the clear part of the decal that had issues. When we removed the decal, the colored portions of the decal came off cleanly but the clear areas left marks in the paint. Basically a shadow of how the clear looked.

We are going to have the body shop try to buff out the entire end cap when the coach is in to repair the damage from the landscaper running into it. I should have an update by the end of the month.

Paul
Old 08-13-2019, 04:21 PM   #1165

State: Iowa
THOR #9915
Air deflector

We own a 2017 Gemini on a transit 350HD chassis.
Has anyone found a good air/bug deflector? About all I see on line is a hood leading edge protector.
I also know some work well and others don't. I want the best of both worlds, looks good and works well.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:26 AM   #1166

State: Arizona
THOR #13161
My new toad

My new toad, Jeep was a little heavy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C980816E-B455-44C9-8FCB-EF87A8C2B744.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	19603   Click image for larger version

Name:	A0AF924F-CA6F-4398-A4E7-8CFA3682A897.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	19604  

Old 08-14-2019, 08:48 PM   #1167

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB View Post

Has anyone found a good air/bug deflector? About all I see on line is a hood leading edge protector.

I also know some work well and others don't. I want the best of both worlds, looks good and works well.

I haven’t looked for a deflector for our Gemini. 16000 miles and I really haven’t felt we needed one. I try to keep RainX on it so the bugs don’t seem to adhere to it too badly.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:07 PM   #1168

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by vngaspar View Post
My new toad, Jeep was a little heavy.
that looks like an easy tow.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:46 AM   #1169

Model: 2017 Compass 23TR
State: Florida
THOR #9752
23TR Rear Decal Problem

Mountainsam,

Here are a couple of photos:

Before showing the way it looked - just like your photo, and after showing the shadowing. Hopefully it will buff out!

You can see how nice it looks where the colored sections of the decal were. We will find out...

Paul
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Before.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	19639   Click image for larger version

Name:	After.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	19640  

Old 08-17-2019, 05:42 AM   #1170

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB View Post
I'm interested in getting a deflector too. I'm having to get my 3rd rock chip repaired in my 2017 Gemini front windshield. I wonder if a leading edge deflector might help me avoid chip repair #4. I have one on my 2006 truck and have had fewer rock chips. Nancy
Old 08-17-2019, 11:16 PM   #1171

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul N View Post
Mountainsam,

Here are a couple of photos:

Before showing the way it looked - just like your photo, and after showing the shadowing. Hopefully it will buff out!

You can see how nice it looks where the colored sections of the decal were. We will find out...

Paul
I hope they buff out. I think I would be happier with the finish if it was just painted european style, no decals. Might just be a future investment. I am just too physically unfit to deal with all the fading and discoloration.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:44 PM   #1172

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmilla View Post
I'm interested in getting a deflector too. I'm having to get my 3rd rock chip repaired in my 2017 Gemini front windshield. I wonder if a leading edge deflector might help me avoid chip repair #4. I have one on my 2006 truck and have had fewer rock chips. Nancy
Don't think I have seen a Transit of any design with a deflector. I try to make sure when possible to stay well back of trucks and pickups with bigger tires but the last rock that hit my jeep was from the opposite side of four lane highway and hidden from view by large oleanders. We saw the rock coming but nothing we could do about it.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:09 AM   #1173

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
Don't think I have seen a Transit of any design with a deflector. I try to make sure when possible to stay well back of trucks and pickups with bigger tires but the last rock that hit my jeep was from the opposite side of four lane highway and hidden from view by large oleanders. We saw the rock coming but nothing we could do about it.
Haha, one I thought must be a small meteorite --since I could not see a vehicle around at all!
Old 08-18-2019, 05:12 PM   #1174

Model: 2018 Compass 23TR
State: Michigan
THOR #11426
Wondering if anyone knows of a source for Geocel 2300 MHRV sealant? When we took our rig to Wakarusa for repairs, this is what they recommended to use for caulking, as the Sierra Tan color exactly matches the body on our 2018 Compass. Haven’t been able to find it online or locally!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4B19A3D8-80EB-4E2B-9F13-0DB5CE2C9F8B.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	19702   Click image for larger version

Name:	8DAA0C9B-E478-4E46-AF2D-393F8B3DE28D.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	19703  

Old 08-18-2019, 05:33 PM   #1175
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
A quick "googling" of the name yielded this:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=geocel+23...l_3wvpglzjel_e

I hope that it helps...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:11 PM   #1176

Model: 2018 Compass 23TR
State: Michigan
THOR #11426
Thanks Bob, but I was hoping to find a source for the color that matches my Compass. It appears Amazon only carries Clear and White, and not Sierra Tan.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:30 PM   #1177

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
I have used simple green and a bit of elbow grease to clean the underside of the canopy. You have to leave it open until it is dry.

X2 on simple green. Works a treat with a soft scrub brush. Just a bit messy working overhead.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:45 AM   #1178

Model: compass 23tw
THOR #7466
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDC54 View Post
Wondering if anyone knows of a source for Geocel 2300 MHRV sealant? When we took our rig to Wakarusa for repairs, this is what they recommended to use for caulking, as the Sierra Tan color exactly matches the body on our 2018 Compass. Haven’t been able to find it online or locally!

Hello,Found it on Geocel web site.
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:42 AM   #1179
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari View Post
Hello,Found it on Geocel web site.
When Thor recommended that to me a few years ago none of the local motorhome dealers kept it in stock. One dealer, now a CW, special ordered a tube for me.

After about a year I stopped by a dealer that sells towable only to buy something and they had a Geocel display by their parts counter. They told me they had been selling the stuff for years.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:43 PM   #1180

Model: Compass 24TX
State: New York
THOR #16433
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeenew View Post
I am hoping someone in this forum can answer my question regarding the fuel efficiency of the 2 Gemini/Compass models I am considering, i.e. 23TB and 24TF. Will the MB Sprinter 3500 engine on the 24TF allow for the same fuel economy of the Transit on the 23TB? If I go from 23.6 ft to 25 ft will that equate to less mpg? The mpg is top priority to me, therefore I am leaning towards the 23TB, but, if I could get the same mpg I would seriously consider the 24TF. I appreciate you input. Thanks
First, I'm a huge Ford Fan. I also bought in early July a Thor Compass 24TX (Sprinter 3500). I considered the Transit versions, but a few things that I recall.

1st, the Transit is not rated for towing; Mercedes is good for 5,000 pounds.
2nd, the Mercedes diesel is pretty well proven; and even bringing my Mercedes into a dealership for alignment (cheaper then third party shops - they charged me $189 and gave me a Mercedes car for a loaner for a couple of days due to my schedule). While their labor rates tend to be higher then Ford dealerships, I've been happy about the quality of service and customer care when working with MB. You can google Thor Transit nightmare, as it seems there has been some Transit chassis issues that I'm not sure if they've been worked out yet.
3rd, I don't believe the transit seats swivel around, like the Sprinter chassis versions.

As far as gas mileage, I've been pushing around 16MPG right now with a Compass 24TX (rear slide and a small side slide). The floor plan worked for us the most, as it gives us adequate room in the coach when traveling for our dogs. I saw a Transit floorplan a week ago when camping in Vermont like ours. More basement storage in the Mercedes is the first obvious take away.

Hope it helps with whatever you have already chosen or might choose.

Tags
cutout, dinette, modification, murphy bed, opening, wall