Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2019, 10:26 PM   #1181

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Iowa
THOR #9915
My Gemini is on a Ford chassis, the 3.2 Diesel. Everything I read says it can tow nearly 4,500 pounds. And the passenger seat swivels.
I am not a Ford fan, but my 17.6 mpg makes it a keeper.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:33 PM   #1182
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I get a touch over 16 mpg with my Sprinter-Based RV...
And it's not even broken in yet!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:36 PM   #1183

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I have the 2018 Thor Siesta 24SS with 2 slides and love the floor plan as compared to my trade in model which was a 2016 Winnebago ERA with no slides. Both are built on the MB Chassis with the diesel engine. The ERA was more like a large van and got around 19 mpg on the open highway as compared to the Siesta which is averaging 13-14 on the open highway. I traded for more room versus fuel economy and never looked back. I also have exterior storage which the ERA did not have plus I have the newest technology including solar on the coach.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:02 PM   #1184

Model: Compass 24TX
THOR #16433
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB View Post
We own a 2017 Gemini on a transit 350HD chassis.
Has anyone found a good air/bug deflector? About all I see on line is a hood leading edge protector.
I also know some work well and others don't. I want the best of both worlds, looks good and works well.
I’m using the one from O.M.A.C. It doesn’t require drilling and gives full protection for the hood and above the headlights too. I think as good as it’s going to get.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:09 PM   #1185

THOR #16433
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgreene View Post
Hi All,

Has anybody put solar on their roof yet?

Planning on a 400 watt install

Kevin
Did you ever get this installed? I have one 190W panel mounted and another en route. Havent cabled it or mounted the Solar Controller yet. I have a 24TX and thinking of using some space in the wardrobe closet; but interested to hear where you mounted yours.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:25 PM   #1186

THOR #16433
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
What kind of space heater?

Small electric heaters work well--especially ones like the ceramic heaters that have the auto off if they tip over.
I take an older Dyson vertical fan that I upgraded the unit I have in my home. Its safe, works great for cooling, and has heating that is effective.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:40 PM   #1187

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Texas
THOR #7972
After a little more than two years of ownership I finally built a building to get our Compass 23TR out of the weather. I did keep it in my sons building for six months of that off and on. I’m trying to clean up the exterior and was wondering what cleaners/wax y’all have had success with. This is for the sides as my front cap has bigger problems that will probably require paint I’ve been using Meguires 56. Although shiny I still see a little film residue. It’s not really bad but i like to keep my stuff looking new.
Thanks,
Hugh
Old 08-21-2019, 02:46 PM   #1188
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
How about some pictures of your storage building?
Did you add electrical service to it?
Old 08-21-2019, 03:43 PM   #1189

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Texas
THOR #7972
24’x30’ w/ 14’x12’ roll up door.
30A plugs on both walls.
LED lights from Amazon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DED6160D-F337-4D50-B1C1-1412E8F6E996.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	19760  
Old 08-21-2019, 03:50 PM   #1190
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860

I keep showing these to the Missus in the hopes that she'll see the wisdom in it.
Thanks!

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1566402588
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gunny 02.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	19761  
Old 08-22-2019, 11:44 AM   #1191

Model: 2017 Compass 23TR
State: Florida
THOR #9752
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
I hope they buff out. I think I would be happier with the finish if it was just painted european style, no decals. Might just be a future investment. I am just too physically unfit to deal with all the fading and discoloration.
Checked on the Compass yesterday. The body shop buffed out the end cap and it looks amazing. However, there is still a slight shadow. We are going to reapply the decal that Thor sent us FREE, but without the clear area. Simply a matter of carefully cutting out the colored parts and applying to the coach. Should be easy

For the record, we have "officially" notified Thor what is happening with that decal since I now know we are not the only ones affected by the discoloration/crackling of the clear areas. We will see what they do, if anything! To date they have been great in responding to our concerns.

Compass is still in the shop waiting on the Sumo Spings. They are on back order but should be in and installed by the end of next week. We are having them installed since everyone on this forum who has installed them loves the "new" ride.

Paul
Old 08-22-2019, 03:05 PM   #1192

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
You will love the sumo springs. I added them to my 2018 Thor Siesta and it made a world of difference both on the open road and going through driveways. They were easy to install for me on the MB Sprinter Chassis.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:06 PM   #1193

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrhugh View Post
I’m trying to clean up the exterior and was wondering what cleaners/wax y’all have had success with. This is for the sides as my front cap has bigger problems that will probably require paint I’ve been using Meguires 56. Although shiny I still see a little film residue. It’s not really bad but i like to keep my stuff looking new.
Thanks,
Hugh
Hugh,

I have the same exact issue with my 23TR and have found nothing that really does much for removing the oxidation and shining it like new. I can tell you what I have used without much success.
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1566497121
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3247.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	19769  
Old 08-22-2019, 07:07 PM   #1194

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj10024 View Post
1st, the Transit is not rated for towing; Mercedes is good for 5,000 pounds.
2nd, the Mercedes diesel is pretty well proven; and even bringing my Mercedes into a dealership for alignment (cheaper then third party shops - they charged me $189 and gave me a Mercedes car for a loaner for a couple of days due to my schedule). While their labor rates tend to be higher then Ford dealerships, I've been happy about the quality of service and customer care when working with MB. You can google Thor Transit nightmare, as it seems there has been some Transit chassis issues that I'm not sure if they've been worked out yet.
3rd, I don't believe the transit seats swivel around, like the Sprinter chassis versions.

As far as gas mileage, I've been pushing around 16MPG right now with a Compass 24TX (rear slide and a small side slide). The floor plan worked for us the most, as it gives us adequate room in the coach when traveling for our dogs. I saw a Transit floorplan a week ago when camping in Vermont like ours. More basement storage in the Mercedes is the first obvious take away.

Hope it helps with whatever you have already chosen or might choose.

Just to clear up a few misconceptions, not to endorse any make or model.

1 The Transit is indeed rated for towing, hence the 5000 lb hitch. It is not rated quite as much as the Mercedes.
2 The Ford transit Power Stroke engine has proven itself for decades in Europe and Africa. Don't know of any transit chassis issues as stated above but could warrant further investigation from a Transit forum.
3 The passenger seat swivels on the transit
4 I don't believe Thor built a 24TX on a Transit chassis (?) so a comparison would have been impossible. Storage would be more an issue of the Thor model and not the vehicle brand. The Mercedes has a longer wheel base so it makes sense the larger Gemini/Compass models would be MB chassis and therefore have more storage. Which brings me back to #1. Larger chassis, heavier box, nearly the same engine and transmission, why would the MB effectively tow more???

My guess is if you find a floor plan that fits you either brand builds a very solid drive train. But neither are issue free.

I do have to pat myself on the back for not mentioning that nearly every town in America has Ford parts dealers, MB not so much. Oops
Old 08-22-2019, 07:55 PM   #1195
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
You will love the sumo springs. I added them to my 2018 Thor Siesta and it made a world of difference both on the open road and going through driveways. They were easy to install for me on the MB Sprinter Chassis.
I agree!
Old 08-24-2019, 10:15 PM   #1196

Model: Gemini
THOR #14717
Adjusting Rear slideout on 2016 Thor Gemini?

I have a water leak in my slideout on my 2016 Gemini when it is pulled in. We think that if we can adjust the tension to make it pull tighter that may fix the problem. What do you think? Does anyone know how to adjust the slideout on a 2016 Gemini? Thanks Bernie
Old 08-24-2019, 10:46 PM   #1197

Model: 2017 Compass 23TR
THOR #9752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tally View Post
I have a water leak in my slideout on my 2016 Gemini when it is pulled in. We think that if we can adjust the tension to make it pull tighter that may fix the problem. What do you think? Does anyone know how to adjust the slideout on a 2016 Gemini? Thanks Bernie
We had a leak in the rear slide of our 23TR Compass when we first bought it. Turns out the gasket on the driver side had not been installed properly. Check the gaskets to make sure they are all in the proper places. Thor had to replace the majority of the composite wood bed frame and floor molding that had been damaged by sitting water.

Paul
Old 08-26-2019, 02:54 AM   #1198

THOR #15069
Question Gemini solar

Have a 2018 Gemini 24tx that is pre wired for solar. Does anyone know where the solar wires from the roof terminate at or what color the wires are? Also where to mount the solar controller?
Old 08-26-2019, 03:45 AM   #1199

Model: Compass 23TK
State: Indiana
THOR #10919
Air Cond and voltage

Does anyone monitor their AC voltage? Noticed that my AC voltage drops 5 to 7 volts continuously as measured from an outlet, when the Air Cond compressor is on. Do not know if this an issue with the shore power or maybe the wire on the 30 amp cable needs to be a higher gauge due to the length of the cable that came with the camper. Usually have at least 120 vac from shore power so this drop is not alarming. Although at some campgrounds when a lot of people are running their air conditioners have seen shore power in general drop to 108 to 110 volts. I do check polarity before plugging into shore power as everyone should to play it safe.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:55 AM   #1200

Model: Compass 23TK
State: Indiana
THOR #10919
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB View Post
My Gemini is on a Ford chassis, the 3.2 Diesel. Everything I read says it can tow nearly 4,500 pounds. And the passenger seat swivels.
I am not a Ford fan, but my 17.6 mpg makes it a keeper.
I was never a Ford fan myself. But I have been pretty impressed with this Diesel engine thus far. This being my first experience with a diesel. Handles expressway speeds and accels nicely and yes the mpg is impressive. Was not impressed with getting 3 separate recalls within the first 6 months but I am up to date to on all of them. I plan to continue to get my oil changed at a Ford dealer so they can check each time if any other recalls have cropped up that I was not notified about. The passenger seat does swivel and we often swivel it 180 degrees and use it when camping. I have had two German vehicles in the past, and my main complaint is that even general maintenance, and parts seems much more expensive, at least when the dealership did the work.

Tags
cutout, dinette, modification, murphy bed, opening, wall