Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2019, 12:35 AM   #1221

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
lidja,

Have you looked on You Tube for a walk thru. A year or so ago there was a good walk thru of the Gemini but I don't remember what model. welcome to the Forum and be sure to keep us posted on your search.

Our Gemini fits us to a tee. Goes everywhere we want to go and economically. Several manufacturers of these smallish RVs with each making several models.
No nightmares involved in set up, breaking camp and emptying tanks. The black tank on the 23TR does require me to put on a knee pad for hookup but the valves are easily operated.
We live in Northern California where the temp only drops below 35 on rare occasions so winterizing isn't an issue but if it where I would drain it up and blow out the lines, maybe add a little antifreeze in the black and grey tanks. Drain valves are easy to manipulate. Sometimes it requires removing a drawer or a small panel.
As far as tanks, mine has two grey and totaling 38 gal. Black tank 29 gal. and fresh 31 gal. I usually end up adding water to the black tank before dumping to fill it to 3/4 full. You get a much better dump that way. We have never wished for bigger tanks but we do very little boon docking.
Enjoy your search, there's a lot to see.http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1567384418
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2079.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	20018  

Old 09-02-2019, 06:26 AM   #1222

State: Arkansas
THOR #16429
Thanks for the welcome and the info @mountainsam! [emoji1303]
Old 09-03-2019, 05:48 PM   #1223

Model: 23 TR
State: Florida
THOR #10954
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
I had a couple reduced power episodes but none since Ford reprogrammed it. I am interested in this Sea Foam. I’ve had four diesels and been around diesel equipment in the oil field but have no knowledge of Sea Foam. Is it an occasional use product or is it intended for constant use? I don’t mind paying for additives if they do what they are intended for. Is it a cleaning product or a lubricant?
This is what I got;
https://www.amazon.com/SeaFoam-SF-16...%2C168&sr=8-13

I don't plan on using with every tank of diesel. Maybe every 10,000 miles. I was surprised when I got the check engine light and loss of power. Cleared code and power came back like normal after adding the Sea Form. I think EGR valve gets stuck and this helps it move!
Old 09-04-2019, 01:22 PM   #1224

Model: 2017 Compass 23TR
THOR #9752
More info on additives:

I switched from Seafoam to use Power Service Diesel Kleen after much research. It has high marks for all diesels. I use Seafoam in my antique and modern cars but for the Transit's diesel, I looked for something more in tune (pun intended) with the diesel's needs. This also has the cetane to boost power and mpg.

Here is a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Service...ef_=ast_bbp_dp

Paul
Old 09-05-2019, 02:18 AM   #1225

Model: Compass 23TK
State: Indiana
THOR #10919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I keep a digital voltage meter plugged into the bathroom outlet and check it most every time I go in. It also serves as our nightlight. I’ve seen park voltages as low as 107 on hot days when everyone is using the AC. My AC seemed to work ok at that low level but I’ll switch to generator if I’m able at that point.
That is how I monitor my incoming AC as well. I compared its reading with my multi meter and it is accurate. Low cost means to keep tabs on the voltage, as well as see what the output of the generator is.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:35 PM   #1226

Model: 2017 Compass 23TR
THOR #9752
Front Cap Issues on COMPASS

Talk about frustrating:

I was recently waxing/shining our 2017 23TR with a Meguiars' RV/Marine quick wax and discovered an "air void" in the front cap along the drivers side of the sunroof. I felt a crunch, like cracking an egg, as I wiped off the wax. I found a hole in the fiberglass cap about the size of a penny. See attached photos. The fiberglass cap at this area is paper thin!

I'm going to take it in to our dealer to have it patched since we are heading out on a camping trip later this month. I don't need any water intrusion. It is still summer in Florida which means rain! They are going to patch it and submit an "out of warranty" repair ticket to Thor for a more thorough job.

Also along with this repair ticket, they will submit for some factory damage repair we discovered on the front cap. After over a year of sitting in the sun, a delamination bubble about the shape and size of a football appeared above the front window on the driver's side. You can also see where the COMPASS letters were removed and replaced about an inch higher on the cap, and a bad repaint area has developed. We have already discussed this with Thor and it was suggested to submit the "out of warranty" repair ticket. So, we will do that and add the HOLE!

Anyone else having issues with the front cap or are we just really, really lucky?

As an aside, I have nothing but good things to say about Gerzeny's RV World of Nokomis Florida. They have been great with everything! I highly recommend them, sales, service and especially their body shop. They recently repaired a crunch from our landscaper running into the rear with one of their mowers. It looks better than new!

Also for anyone else who is experiencing problems with the decal on the rear slide end cap, Gerzeny's body shop did everything in their power to buff out the damage to the gelcoat caused by the decal. It was a no go. Although, the end cap looks SO much better, the shadow of the decal is still there. They are submitting another "out of warranty" repair ticket to Thor to try to cover this. Thor already sent us a new decal. We are going to cut out the clear area and re-install the colored areas only.

Speaking of Thor, I have to say their customer service, specifically, Nate, has been great to work with. Thor has sent us a new sink to replace our rusting Stainless Steel sink, a couple of replacement wooden bed slats that were defective and broke, a complete new bedroom sliding window since ours was missing a part of the top track that caused the sliding window to jam and not lock, and as mentioned earlier a new rear decal.

Above all we love the COMPASS and the Ford Transit chassis and can't wait to re-retire and start travelling! There are some great Military Campgrounds out there to check out.

I think that's all....

Paul
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0450.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	20088   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0445.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	20089  

Old 09-08-2019, 08:03 PM   #1227

State: Mississippi
THOR #16664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
Guess almost everyone had some level of difficulty with the tank-less water heater. Ours was intermittent hot water and the fix was buying and using an adjustable pressure regulator set to 53psi. As far as add, we did a lot when we bought the Gemini, things like and inverter, LP connector for the BBQ, satellite dish and a lot more. Now its in for a hard wired surge regulator protector, a second air conditioner, the one in back just does not have the capacity to cool the entire coach in 90 + degree weather, and I an adding an HWH leveling system. I have had it serviced once, so far, takes 14 quarts of very expensive synthetic oil.
Don't have my 18 23 tub yet but the dealer is installing a satellite antenna but I have no idea where to place the satellite receiver/Dvr. There must be someplace. What did you do
Old 09-08-2019, 09:05 PM   #1228

THOR #16664
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkwood View Post
New Sink and Faucet

New Maxxfan 7500 with Programmable Remote
An A/C saver (Loved it in my Other RV)

New Dashboard Upgrade

New Chrome (Everywhere Possible)

Tiles in Kitchen and Bathroom

Have Ready to Go - Still to be Installed:
  • Winegard Satellite System
  • Winegard WiFi Extender

Still to Buy:
  • Alcoa 6 rim EVO Dura Bright rims.
  • New Sprinter Shocks and Springs
  • Solar System
  • Air Conditioner Upgrade
  • Inverter
  • Levelling System
Where did you put the satellite receiver box
Old 09-10-2019, 12:18 PM   #1229

THOR #16664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhfiii View Post
Don't have my 18 23 tub yet but the dealer is installing a satellite antenna but I have no idea where to place the satellite receiver/Dvr. There must be someplace. What did you do
Spell correct put "tub" when I meant tb. My question is where do you put the satellite receiver in the Compass 23TB so that it interfaces with all 3 TV's. Thor has no idea. Dixie RV says it is several thousand dollar job. All ideas are welcome
Old 09-10-2019, 03:12 PM   #1230

State: Arizona
THOR #13926
I installed a dish on the roof...I will attach a pic...works great!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181113_145850.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	20191  
Old 09-10-2019, 05:16 PM   #1231

THOR #13926
I misunderstood. I put my receiver on top of the DVD player above the Refrigerator.
I purchased a HDMI 4 port hub from Amazon and hooked up all 3 tv's thru it
Old 09-11-2019, 01:31 AM   #1232

State: New York
THOR #15069
Was there a pre existing satellite connection on the Compass roof or did you run the cable yourself? Thor customer service could not answer that question. Hard to believe.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:40 AM   #1233

THOR #13926
A new cable was run from the dish thru the roof vent over the frig
Old 09-11-2019, 02:00 AM   #1234

THOR #13926
Here is the amazon hdmi splitter that I used. It has 2 inputs and 4 outputs which will more that cover the DVD, Dish, and the 3 tv's

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-15-2019, 06:48 PM   #1235

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
12v 50 amp circuit breaker

So this happened, I recently replaced my 2 12 v house batteries (with a neighbour's help) carefully labeling all cables and -/+ so to rewire correctly. Once in place, all seemed fine as I was driving it out on short camping trips. Now that it has been in the backyard for a few weeks I see the batteries are not charging while plugged into shore power (the old ones did) plus while plugged in the appliances all work so it looked like the convertor was working.
I then
1) checked to make sure I had the inuse switch in inuse position --still no charging;
2) ran the generator for a bit to see if they'd take a charge that way -- still no charging;
3) ran the Ford motor in idle --they charged.

Also, I reset the breaker for the convertor at the panel.

I realized it has to be something between the house batteries and the inuse switch so I looked for the 50 amp breaker I have heard talk of...I found it in the battery compartment (hard to see) but I could not tell if it had "popped". It had a rubberized cover (no flag or anything showing). I sort of poked it with my finger. Just about to give up when I try resetting the insue switch again and batteries seemed to be taking a charge! Was it that easy to reset the12v 50 amp circuit breaker? Nancy
Old 09-17-2019, 01:31 PM   #1236

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Texas
THOR #7972
Nancy,
First off congratulations on your trouble shooting skills. There are only two things that will cause the symptoms you described (assuming the wiring wasn’t changed during the battery replacement). The 50AMP 12V breaker or the use/store relay.
The photos show the battery box location on my 2017 Compass 23TR. There is a yellow reset lever on mine. Difficult to see for sure. The use/store relay(Intellitec 01-00055-002) is under the furnace. Could have been a dirty relay contact that just started working again.
I’m dreading the time when all these hidden components start to fail.
Hugh
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D63BCFB1-88FF-4B40-90E9-0BC6B587F6AC.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	20313   Click image for larger version

Name:	4E28DA0D-3343-40F1-98BE-C164D82B0AB8.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	20314  

Old 09-18-2019, 11:19 PM   #1237

THOR #5922
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrhugh View Post
Nancy,
First off congratulations on your trouble shooting skills. There are only two things that will cause the symptoms you described (assuming the wiring wasn’t changed during the battery replacement). The 50AMP 12V breaker or the use/store relay.
The photos show the battery box location on my 2017 Compass 23TR. There is a yellow reset lever on mine. Difficult to see for sure. The use/store relay(Intellitec 01-00055-002) is under the furnace. Could have been a dirty relay contact that just started working again.
I’m dreading the time when all these hidden components start to fail.
Hugh
Thanks, Hugh for your comments and pictures. Afraid it was false hope on my part --it didn't actually charge to a full 4/4 lights while on shore power and today when I checked it --it was down to 2/4 lights. I may have just seen the effect of idling the engine.
I have just booked an appointment mid-Oct at a local RV repair shop (my dealership was booking appointments for December;-(
Now I'm thinking about trying to maintaining the house batteries with a trickle charger so I will post that question to the full forum. Nancy
Old 09-19-2019, 09:07 PM   #1238

State: California
THOR #6701
Nancy,

I just did a short 2 day trip to Oregon but before I left I was getting the 23TR ready for the trip. Somehow I started the refrigerator to 12 volt. When I went out in the morning the batteries said 1/4 charged. The RV was plugged in the entire night to our house.

I switched the fridge to LP and have had zero issues. The batteries charged right up as I drove. The fridge was draining the batteries. You may want to check that.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:03 PM   #1239

State: Ontario
THOR #14621
I am reading this with great interest but have a question. I believe that Nancy had said that the batteries were charging when the vehicle was running but not when plugged in. Is that correct? If so mountainsam, did you try that?

I am easily confused, condition of age so my wife says, so I wanted to clarify with both you and Nancy.

My medical situation didn’t allow me to get out more than a couple of times this summer and am now looking at storing the TR for the winter. I don’t have the place on my property and the town doesn’t allow that. I have worked out a solar solution for keeping the house batteries topped up. If anyone is using solar I would like to know what they are doing. TNX!
Old 09-20-2019, 04:59 PM   #1240

THOR #5922
Hi mountainsam, I am not running the fridge at this time so don't think that factors in.

Hi Big Wheel, Yes, when I drive (or idle the engine) I get to 4 of 4 lights --showing full battery charge. I haven't tried solar but have been thinking about it too!

I'm starting to think I need to get the drawer out to look at the use/store relay as mentioned by vfrhugh. Of course, I can't remember how to get the drawer off its tracks causing a delay to my troubleshooting:-) Nancy

Tags
cutout, dinette, modification, murphy bed, opening, wall