Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2019, 11:03 PM   #1301

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Compass
State: Colorado
THOR #16973
Question Newbe

Just joined the forum. We purchased our 2017 TB a couple of years ago and have had pretty much the same problems as others. We recently moved to Colorado Springs and a little concerned about hail and ice. I am considering a cover and would appreciate any input.

Old 10-10-2019, 12:40 AM   #1302

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Mine has been in hail with no issues but I sure wouldn't recommend it if at all possible to avoid. If I were in Colorado I do think I would either cover it or get in and head for Florida, Arizona or south Texas.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:14 PM   #1303

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmilla View Post
Just back from 2-night trip and "something" I did must have corrected the situation! I got my 2 house batteries up to 4/4 lights --after running them down for 24 hrs! They were fully charged up after the drive to my destination. Over the next 24 hrs., I ran: fridge, furnace, lights, radio, fan, awning, and slide dropping to 3/4 lights. Then, while plugged in for the following 24 hrs., I got to 4/4 lights on the monitor. Now planning to cancel RV Tech appointment;-) Nancy
IN follow-up: I found charging while on shore power was still not working consistently and AGAIN the battery charge dropped to 2/4 lights while plugged in. Luckily, I had not canceled the RV Tech appointment. The RV Tech tells me I need a new converter. So that is what I am doing. I will be asking how to keep the new one from crashing. I would think a converter should last longer than this one has.....
Nancy
Old 10-10-2019, 09:27 PM   #1304

THOR #6701
Sorry to hear you need a new converter but thats the way this throw away world works. Build them to be replaced rather than to last.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:36 PM   #1305

State: Ontario
THOR #14621
X2 on the throw away world. I suspect a problem with my converter as it only charges the batteries to 12.7 volts. However, when running the engine or on solar the batteries come up to 13.5 v.

Let us know how the repair goes Nancy.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:14 AM   #1306

Model: Gemini TX
THOR #13247
HWH 725 Sprinter Level System on a 2016 Mercedes Benz 3500 Gemini TX.

Has anyone installed any levelling system on a Mercedes chassis Gemini ?

If so any install issues ?

Like Dislikes
Old 10-11-2019, 12:21 PM   #1307

THOR #14621
I remember seeing an early post on this. If you search on the the word ‘levelling’ you should find it. It was for a Sprinter.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:20 PM   #1308

THOR #6701
Look at page one, reply #14 of this thread. It ws one of Lacos mods.
Old 11-01-2019, 03:07 PM   #1309

State: Washington
THOR #16974
2018 Compass 24TX

Like many readers of this forum, I retired and stumbled into the RV life by evolution. I found a Thor Class C that was used in the rental fleet for a few years and flipped post overhaul by Cruise America. These are ultra-simple but robust units on the classic Ford E-350 chassis. My wife and I went on a 7,500 mile odyssey from Seattle to Maine on the maiden voyage. After working on this, mostly minor things, I could see the consistent quality so I assumed that this was unique to Thor. After a bit under three years I sold it thinking it would be better to have a diesel for longer voyages.
Now we have a new 2018 Compass TX. The idea that Thor had a consistent quality control that was applied to all units rolling out of Indiana was shed quickly. I understand that each coach is a hand built and labor intensive project but some of the things one finds after owning the thing for a few weeks are flummoxing. When I owed the previous Thor, which was mostly a “Four Winds” type of unit, I never thought to myself “why would someone do that”. Now I do frequently.
The toilet in most units sits on a raised platform. On mine the vinyl flooring was laid down so crooked it was disturbing. The edges, which ideally would lay flat in the corners were rolled up. Honestly, an 8 year old boy could have done a better job. I tore it all out and started over. It was a simple project that really improved the space. I used 1/8 inch diamond plate (Lowes) for the front edge. I replaced the vinyl floor on the pedestal with a thicker, self-adhesive tile from Lowes. I also replaced the Thetforn plastic kiddie toilet with a Dometic 310 series. Last, I rebuilt the small cabinet that sits behind the commode. It had to be modified just slightly to accommodate the elongated bowl. I also installed it so it can be removed if one ever needs to service the water lines underneath. That’s another “why would they do this” thing.
I do have my “punch list” for the dealer when I bring it in for warranty work in two weeks. Stuff like the grey water drain being blocked so it only trickles out when the valve is wide open. When We do take off in a few months I am confident that I will be a Happy Camper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toilet1.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	21211   Click image for larger version

Name:	toilet2.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	21212  

Old 11-01-2019, 06:28 PM   #1310

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Yes indeed, I did add the leveling system to our Gemini 24 TX on the Sprinter. Have to be careful with the Sprinter chassis, as Mercedes is adamant about their no cutting, drilling or welding on their frame. I stated earlier, I went with the HWH auto leveling, they make a kit, specifically for the Sprinter chassis, all bolt on, no drilling or welding required. Its been about two years, no problems, it works great, highly recommend HWH for the Sprinter.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:30 PM   #1311

THOR #6701
HankfromSea

Welcome to the Forum. Lots of great info here and you just added more. And thanks for the pictures. Your Maine trip is my dream trip. We hope to make it next year.

I had some issues with our Gemini in the beginning and I am sure there will be more in the future. Ours mainly where cabinet doors, sun roof surround and window valances in the bed room. Our trips have nearly all been flawless.

Hope you grow to enjoy yours as much as we enjoy ours.

Happy Travels
Old 11-08-2019, 03:19 PM   #1312

Model: 2017 Compass 23TR
State: Florida
THOR #9752
Front Cap Holes?

Has anyone with a Compass/Gemini had a problem with holes in the front cap? We now have a 2nd hole that just showed up an inch or two above the center of the windshield. The first hole happened while hand waxing the front cap. It opened up to the right of the logo letters. It was like cracking an egg. There was a void between the exterior gelcoat and the foam core. That hole is about the size of a dime. We filled it with silicone and put a reflector over it and a second to the left of the letters to balance it out. Actually looks like they belong there

The newest hole showed up after a trip across the state. Just a small hole roughly the size of a pencil eraser but will also need to be filled to keep out water/moisture.

Not sure why this is happening other than a bad day at the shop for whoever was responsible for manufacturing the front cap.

Paul
Old 11-08-2019, 04:22 PM   #1313

THOR #6701
I haven’t had any issues with the front cap other than really poor quality gel coat. I suppose your rig is far enough out of warranty that Thor won’t take a look at it. I think I would present it to them and try to make a case for them to repair it, can’t hurt.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:52 PM   #1314

THOR #9752
That is the plan.

When the 2nd hole showed up I sent a nasty gram to Thor Customer Service and they suggested going to the dealer to submit for an out of warranty repair. I asked our dealer's body shop manager to initiate something as soon as we can arrange to get it to him. He was actually the one that filled in the first hole and came up with the idea to add the reflectors.

Additionally, he pointed out to me that you can see shadows in the gel coat where the letters were removed and replaced in a higher location on the front cap. It looked to him like there may have been a repair to the front cap at the factory, or at some time before it was sold "NEW" to us. I have a feeling it was damaged in transit and "repaired" before getting to the dealer. At least they claim not to know anything about it.

We shall see!

Paul
Old 11-08-2019, 05:23 PM   #1315

THOR #9752
Mountainsam,

I see you are in CA.

Hope the fires have stayed away from you. I spent the majority of my Navy career in Northern CA after a few years in NV. We lived in Concord, Vallejo, Mountain View and San Jose before being transferred to the East coast.

Hopefully we can get back out West to visit friends before it is all burned up.

Be Safe....

Paul
Old 11-08-2019, 09:12 PM   #1316

THOR #6701
No fires in our area but 4 years ago we lived in Lake county and the Valley fire started about a mile behind our house. We got out with a pickup, two dogs and what we were waring. As we drove down the mountain to Middletown there was fire on both sides of the road.

As far as your cap goes I think rather than toss caps with flaws during the molding process they repair them. Yours probably got a poor repair at that time. There must be a very thin layer of material in that area

Good luck and GO NAVY
Old 11-09-2019, 07:19 AM   #1317

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
New problem. Smell of Propane following me around riday. Once set up at site and still smell of Lp I called mobile RV tech. His 1st test was the regulator with soapy water. Leaking on a welded seam.... so he is replacing the regulator. So that is about a 2year lifespan. Hmm
Disposable parts I get... but I read regulators should last up to 10 yrs.
Nancy
Old 11-11-2019, 01:24 AM   #1318

THOR #6701
Your right, regulators should last much longer. I have never changed a regulator on anything. Glad it was an easy fix anyway.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:50 AM   #1319

THOR #9752
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
No fires in our area but 4 years ago we lived in Lake county and the Valley fire started about a mile behind our house. We got out with a pickup, two dogs and what we were waring. As we drove down the mountain to Middletown there was fire on both sides of the road.

As far as your cap goes I think rather than toss caps with flaws during the molding process they repair them. Yours probably got a poor repair at that time. There must be a very thin layer of material in that area

Good luck and GO NAVY
GO NAVY....

Fires were about the only thing we did not experience first hand during our years in the Bay Area. The usual drought with ensuing mudslides along with the earthquakes. The '89 Loma Prieta Earthquake being on the top of the list!

With that said, I can't imagine having to escape a fire only with what you can carry. Down here the hurricanes are bad news but the fires are a whole level higher!

Fair Winds and Following Seas...

Paul
Old 11-27-2019, 05:14 PM   #1320

Model: Gemini
State: Alabama
THOR #7475
Just wondering,
Seems to me the last couple of years some private owners thew a independent rally for gemini and compas owners in Florida. I'm planning on retirement in July. I'd like to come. We're in central Illinois. Nice drive for us. Anybody know anything ?

Tags
cutout, dinette, modification, murphy bed, opening, wall