Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-02-2020, 10:43 PM   #1341

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Welcome JRA. I am sure you will make some great memories in the Gemini.

Old 01-03-2020, 12:28 PM   #1342

Model: 2018 Compass 23TR
State: Michigan
THOR #11426
Murphy Bed Unfolding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Kennedy View Post
Hello _ i know i've previously read similar posts regarding the -

2) bed unfolding while driving. I can foresee perhaps a compression rods across the width, but was wondering if someone had a better idea?
Harry Kennedy,

don't know if you've found a solution for the Murphy bed unfolding, but here is how we solved it:

We tried a compression rod wedged into the small cubbies on either side of the bed when the bed was in the upright position, and it kept the bed in the "UP" position, but we started to notice the compression rod was wearing the finish off the cubbies, despite having protective rubber caps on each end.

We then hit on the idea of taking a piece of vinyl tubing cut to the length of the piston on the hydraulic hinge (when the bed is in the "UP" position), slitting it along one side, and placing it over the pistons on each side, once the bed is in the upright position. This has held the bed upright quite nicely, and is fairly easy to remove the tubing and store it in the cubbies when not in use. Only downside is that the tubing is fairly stiff, and was a bit hard to open up and slide onto the piston at first, but that is getting easier with time and use.

Incidentally, one of the original mods we made in our Compass was to add a 3 inch memory foam mattress to the original mattress. It was very comfy, but also very heavy, and I think the weight of it was too much for the hydraulic hinges to hold the bed up. We have since replaced the 3 inch memory foam with a 2 inch egg crate type mattress...much lighter and still every bit as comfy.

Hopes this helps!
Old 01-04-2020, 11:59 PM   #1343

Model: 2018 Gemini 23 TR
State: Quebec
THOR #11163
Murphy bed unfolding

Here’s my simple solution. Being using it for two year, great system, simple and never failed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D407EDF1-58A5-41E9-919F-2A5491FC38D8.jpeg
Views:	139
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	22063  
Old 01-05-2020, 04:12 AM   #1344

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Wheel View Post
Mountainsam,

Just a quick note to you and everyone else for your support and guidance this year. Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

I am hoping that there will be some type of gathering of the Gemini/Compass clan this year while I can still move about.

Cheers
Happy 2020!
I have benefited a lot from all the shared info on this thread! Thank you to you MountainSam and to everyone posting too!
I would be interested in a gathering... Least travel time for my on the west coast but I could put in longer travel to a middle destination. I am eyeing the Escapees June date in Wyoming. Maybe something ahead of that within say a one day travel distance?
Nancy
Old 01-08-2020, 07:26 PM   #1345

THOR #6701
Hi Nancy, I'm glad you are enjoying this thread. Is has certainly lasted longer than anticipated. We have all covered many issues and for the most part found solutions.

My wife and I would be interested in a rally in the Pacific Coast or as far as Central Mountain States. I think it may be hard to do from early June to early September as Coveman points out. I think mid September would work best for us.

Where are you doing the Escapes in Wyoming?
Old 01-08-2020, 09:15 PM   #1346
JRA

Model: 2019 Gemini 23TB
State: Georgia
THOR #17642
Gemini Leveling Methods

Would appreciate suggestions from other Gemini owners on techniques for leveling the unit at campsites. I haven't taken mine out yet so I have absolutely no experience in the area. I've seen leveling plates for under wheels for sale at Campers World, but don't know if this is the best technique or how many plates I would need to have on hand.

Thanks again in advance for your insight .
Old 01-08-2020, 11:15 PM   #1347

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
We use the camco yellow levelers for the front and the ones that are for the rear dual wheels.
We use the RV leveler app for the smartphone as it tells you how many inches you need to raise or lower from front to back and side to side. The rule of thumb we use is if the bathroom door does not stay open you need to level. We have used the plastic levelers for years on our previous rigs and have found them the best for the size of our units.
Auto levelers are very pricy and are not available for the Ford Transit chassis
Coveman2
2018 Compass 23 TB
Old 01-08-2020, 11:31 PM   #1348

THOR #6701
i started to carry some pieces of 2x6 when we went camping but after a couple trips I left them home. I haven’t leveled the Gemini at all. It’s short enough wheel base to find a reasonable level spot. However, if I were to go boondocking I would toss a few pieces of 2x 6 or 2x 8 in. Enough for a couple pieces under three tires. That’s one of the things I love about it, back in, hook up water, electric and cable. Done. I don’t even hook up the sewer until I’m ready to dump.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:04 PM   #1349

Model: 2017 Compass 23TR
State: Florida
THOR #9752
Inverter?

Has anyone installed an inverter in their Compass/Gemini?

I am considering to allow TV/DVD use during trips with the grand-kids so we don't have to turn on the generator.

Pros/Cons?

Thanks,

Paul
Old 01-10-2020, 04:12 PM   #1350

THOR #13224
I have researched it and spoke to my local RV dealer and they say its doable but where to put it and how to get at the wires that would power the TV etc could be a problem. The tech recommended at least 1500 watts and should be pure sinewave technology.
Coveman2
Old 01-10-2020, 06:05 PM   #1351

Model: 2017 Compass 23TR
THOR #9752
Thanks for the reply. I have thought about that and am coming to the conclusion that exercising the generator every so often is not a bad thing

Paul
Old 01-10-2020, 06:35 PM   #1352

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
I thought about an inverter - for those times when the generator is not allowed. (Some campgrounds prohibit generators from 10:00 PM to 10:00 AM.) It looked too expensive and too much trouble. I had a cheap inverter like this one. https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-300W-P...dp/B004MDXS0U/ And that's what I use. Seems to work for those few times when needed. Pain in the butt with extension cords and finding plugs. But it works.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:04 AM   #1353

THOR #6701
Went out and fiddled around a bit today on the Gemini. I pulled a wasp nest out of one of the exhausts on the furnace. I usually put a piece of blue painters tape over them when I am not planning a trip. I had been looking for screens for the refrigerator vent but have not come up with any. I have searched off and on for three years. Has anyone installed a screen on the 6 slot Norcold vent cover and if so where you able to buy fitted ones or did you make them yourself?
Old 01-11-2020, 12:31 AM   #1354

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
Went out and fiddled around a bit today on the Gemini. I pulled a wasp nest out of one of the exhausts on the furnace. I usually put a piece of blue painters tape over them when I am not planning a trip. I had been looking for screens for the refrigerator vent but have not come up with any. I have searched off and on for three years. Has anyone installed a screen on the 6 slot Norcold vent cover and if so where you able to buy fitted ones or did you make them yourself?

I’ve seen them online. If you put screens on there you should come up with something for the roof vent. It opens to the same space behind the fridge.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:00 AM   #1355

THOR #6701
I was thinking I better get up on the roof and check things out. I check the roof periodically for seals and clean it but have been lax in checking vents.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:34 PM   #1356

THOR #13224
When i am putting the RV away for the winter I put white garbage bags over all of the outside vents (fridge,water heater etc) and put duct tape over the furnace vent. I also put a garbage bag over the exhaust pipe and stuff steal wool in the generator exhaust.
Coveman2
Old 01-13-2020, 03:58 AM   #1357

THOR #6701
thats all a very good idea. i never gave the exhaust pipes a thought. Luckily the neighbors cat hides under our rv so he can keep an eye on the neighborhood. Cross my fingers I have not had an issue with rodents.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:10 AM   #1358

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
Hi Nancy, I'm glad you are enjoying this thread. Is has certainly lasted longer than anticipated. We have all covered many issues and for the most part found solutions.

My wife and I would be interested in a rally in the Pacific Coast or as far as Central Mountain States. I think it may be hard to do from early June to early September as Coveman points out. I think mid September would work best for us.

Where are you doing the Escapes in Wyoming?
So I just composed an lengthy reply and lost it;-(
Oh well, the gist was -let me know what dates a Compass/Gemini Owners' Rally might work in September and I will try to attend.

I was referencing the Escapee Escaped in Rock Springs, Wyoming https://www.escapees.com/escapade-es...ational-rally/

Nancy
Old 01-17-2020, 05:57 PM   #1359

Model: Compass 24tf
THOR #17366
Hi,
Yes I'm a brand new Compass owner s, haven't really used the unit yet, but I'd like to see some compass and Gemini info as well.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:26 PM   #1360

THOR #13224
Welcome to the Compass/Gemini section. I hope you enjoy yours as much as we have ours and its a learning curve and do not be afraid to ask questions.
Coveman2
2018 Compass 23 TB

Tags
cutout, dinette, modification, murphy bed, opening, wall