Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2020, 12:32 AM   #1461

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska View Post
Mountain Sam,
Thor says 3500 lb. towing and the price is at $80K
Well the tow is the same as my 23TR with a significant increase in cost. I think I will stick with my diesel, especially since in three years we have only put 15,000 miles on it. All wheel drive may be the big plus for the 2021.

Old 03-15-2020, 11:33 AM   #1462

Model: Thor Compass 23TR
State: New York
THOR #12187
2018 23tr

Nice to see this group!
Old 03-15-2020, 09:19 PM   #1463

THOR #12187
HeadnOut! It's getting a little too weird around here

3/15/20 - Bayville, NY - Winter 2020 cruise report. We made 3 winter weather camping trips in freezing weather with snow and the Compass did well. We came up with a solid solution for keeping heat in the cabin and I'll highlight that in another post. Today I got the ham radio station up and running, and the 3 gear tubes and the swing-away stow box on the rear provide tremendous stowage. A dedicated cell hot spot for wifi is in, a blue ray player and a fire stick and a cellular signal amp are now installed in the network cabinet above the fridge. More entertainment improvements are done including full time Spotify and the drones display their flight video on the 3 monitors.

I too have had some of the basic issues mentioned with fit and finish on the Compass, but it runs great and gets 15+ miles to the gallon. I'm always doing something to it so there's rarely anything that needs fixing. I use Howell's diesel additive (in the winter especially) and we installed a dedicated engine diagnostic system, tire pressure monitor, front camera, added more power and USB ports and a 12vdc crock pot that sits in the sink and cooks while we're driving. She's a fine vessel indeed!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HEADNOUT 0315a.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	22948   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190519_111538_resized.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	22951  

Name:	20190518_161436_resized.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	22952   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190518_122644_resized.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	22953  

Old 03-16-2020, 01:21 AM   #1464

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAk1ns View Post
3/15/20 - Bayville, NY - Winter 2020 cruise report. We made 3 winter weather camping trips in freezing weather with snow and the Compass did well. snip ...... She's a fine vessel indeed!
Welcome and Wow!
Great mods. I like all your storage solutions though I don't think I could ever give up the shower --but never say never;-)
I like your license plate arrangement. I had to move mine in a panic to the back of my cargo holder in the rain (with found fasteners). I had suddenly noticed the mounded and tarped contents on my platform-type cargo holder largely blocked it.
Your antenna mast holders interest me. Are they permanently mounted? I'm using a suction arrangement which I think is originally intended to pull dents out of bodywork (and a not nearly as high pole).
Also, I am currently looking into buying a tire pressure monitoring system so any info (or review of your choice as installed) would be appreciated.
Nancy
Old 03-16-2020, 01:35 AM   #1465

Model: Gemini
State: Alabama
THOR #7475
Very impressive, sure hope u keep showing your improvements. Especially electronics. Pictures and a short explainment would be great.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:49 PM   #1466

THOR #12187
Antenna Mount and Mast

Thank you for the kind words. I'm a McGyver prepper at heart and have spent the last 20 years working as a volunteer for the USCG Aux, OEM, Red Cross and ARES. If you're so inclined, your welcome to visit my website at FCC Call Sign AK1NS to see more of my boat, trailer and radio projects.

I use a set of suction mounts for flagpoles and radio masts from Flagpolebuddy.com and it works flawlessly. The mast is also from them and will telescope out 16'. I keep it a few feet shorter because my antennas can weight 5-10 pounds and I don't want it to sway or bend. I do HF and VHF work thru a Yaesu ATAS antenna and a VHF tri-bander for 2m, 440 and 220. All the radio gear is built into a portable "go box" which plugs into the Compass at 3 locations now; the rear closet bulkhead wall in the bedroom couch area, then again at the couch behind the driver's seat, and also outside by the TV access panel under the awning. That gives me all-weather use of the ham radio gear, and I installed a 3-way coax switch in the cabinet below the furnace to select which seat I want to be at. All 3 TV's are switchable from there too.

Since modern ham radios interface with computers and monitors, the Compass was a natural in that part of the purchase decision. Each radio port now provides 30A @ 12vdc on Andersen poles with nice so-259 ports for the coax. A 4th 2m/440 Yaesu radio rests above in the driver's head liner, and I ran coax and power from there out to the hood for a Nokia 1/4 wave antenna to use while I'm driving. These were all tricky to run but well worth the effort. I do satellite, Winlink and NBEMS digital and voice modes and have full world-wide comms on board the Compass.

The main mast's coax screws into a waterproof custom so-259 fitting installed by the left rear stowage hatch which you may be able to see in the photo. The mast itself collapses down and stows inside 1 of the 3 white 36" tubes on the rear. The other 2 tubes are for sanitation fittings and hoses. I then added a 12vdc power outlet in the rear cargo StowAway. That thing's mounted on a swing hitch, which pivots the cargo carrier out about 140 degrees, which then allows access to the Thor's rear stowage hatch... in case you were wondering. All closed, the rear slide out clears it perfectly. Fully open, a second antenna mast connects to the StowAway's left side, used for the cell signal booster and mesh wifi.

The license plate was tricky, and you're right about the holes coming in behind the bed's tufted headrest, so if you do it too, be careful and start small. Running power wire for the license plate lamps terminates at the port side foot of the bed where there is a wire harness you can tap. I have a switch which controls it for night running.

The shower closet shelf system is a reverse-tension design that holds the vertical rods and the shelves very, very tightly. Essentially, the rack is in a constant but controlled state of strain, and is released by 3 stainless steel 2" hose clamps. The top shelf restrains my large GoPro drone, and the other 2 shelves are used for charging HT's, more drone gear and more electronics. This shelf system folds up flat in 10 minutes, so we do put the shower curtain up on occasions when there is no local shower or the outdoor shower is too chilly to use.

I really like the Compass, and the Ford underneath it. It's a sweet package and we get nice comments on it all the time. I have learned much over the years by reading other people's input on boards like this, and I'm happy to have found ya'll. 73, - HEADNOUT
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ant mt.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	22958   Click image for larger version

Name:	nice1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	234.1 KB
ID:	22959  

Old 03-17-2020, 11:26 PM   #1467

Model: 24TF Compass / Mercedes
THOR #17969
A laugh during a tough week

Having gone through the new home on wheels, the one thing I never though of checking on my Compass / Mercedes was the horn. Amid all the bad world health news this week, I must have laughed for 10 minutes at the tweety bird attached to the elephant! I see changes coming.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:32 PM   #1468

THOR #6701
There is one more thing you should check. Take a refrigerator magnet and check to see if the lock on your door is made of cast zinc or steel. If it does not respond to the magnet call TriMark and request a new one. May want to call customer service at Thor also. It is better to fix it now (ten minute fix) than be locked in or out later. They sent me a new lock at no cost. Sorry picture should be rotated 90 degrees

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1585430965
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A942B81A-4309-4B5B-80B0-155CEC941E1A.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	23085  
Old 03-29-2020, 12:13 AM   #1469

Model: 2017 Compass 23TR
State: Florida
THOR #9752
Speaking of door locks. The lock on our 2017 23TR started acting up so I ordered an keyless lock and replaced the OEM lock just as it was going completely bad. I took it apart after replacing it and found some plastic parts had split that kept the bolt from moving freely when you close the door.

The lock we purchased is from RVLOCK.COM. It is currently sold out but here is a link to their website:

https://www.rvlock.com/collections/f...nt=17809666501

Make sure you look at the one for an RV and not for a Trailer.

I highly recommended it. Install was simple, no cutting or adjusting. It just fit like it was meant to be there. The keyfob is a nice feature also. The only issue I have is the buttons are a bit "old school". They work fine, you just have to really push. Most keypads now are soft touch - not this - you push and listen for the tone. As long as you do that there will be no problems!

Paul
Old 03-29-2020, 07:28 PM   #1470

THOR #6701
So now that most of us are homebound and trying to find productive things to do, how many are doing neat things to their homes on wheels that are sitting idle.

As for my, I am just brushing up on camp site cooking on the back patio. Lots of grilling and grittling. Thinking of adding a smoker to my outdoor kitchen. Great time to learn a new skill.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:46 PM   #1471

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
I just saw what I thought was a good idea. People who work in hospitals can't go home for fear of spreading covid. RV owners are donating them so these folks can have a place to sleep. https://www.nanaimobulletin.com/news...of-quarantine/ or https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...es/2932617001/
Our rig is still under a ton of snow - but when it melts, I'll be parking it out front of our house, plug it in and make the offer.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:47 AM   #1472

State: Ontario
THOR #14621
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
So now that most of us are homebound and trying to find productive things to do, how many are doing neat things to their homes on wheels that are sitting idle.

As for my, I am just brushing up on camp site cooking on the back patio. Lots of grilling and grittling. Thinking of adding a smoker to my outdoor kitchen. Great time to learn a new skill.
Sam, that is a great idea. Pictures with the neat things would be really good.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:24 AM   #1473

State: Ontario
THOR #14621
Hi Dave Ak1ns,

What great mods to your TR. You mentioned major changes to your sewage dump bay on your website. I am curious as to the mods and if possible some pictures.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:06 PM   #1474

State: Virginia
THOR #12710
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
Thanks for posting the pic of the newly painted cap. You mention the dealer could have done a better prep job, did you have the RV dealer do the paint or did you have an independent shop do it? I like the fact that the brand isn't on the front also. Looks cleaner that way.
Hi mountain Sam,

Had the dealer do it. I agree regarding the decals, plus I'm hoping it will be easier to maintain and keep clean. I suppose time will tell on how well it holds up. Hope everyone is staying safe out there. I wish we could all get out with the RVs. I for one am missing getting out.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:48 PM   #1475

State: Arizona
THOR #13926
I have a cast one but i am not sure what the problem is. Are they defective?
Old 04-06-2020, 11:30 PM   #1476

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipmsp View Post
I have a cast one but i am not sure what the problem is. Are they defective?
The zinc lock slides have been huge problems. Folks getting locked in or locked out of Class A’s as well as class B+ and C’s. However not quite the problem if you have cockpit doors. When the latch breaks there is no way to open the door without major headache. There was a recall a few years back by another manufacturer. Many have laid out 100-200 bucks for new replacement locks and others, myself included ask for a replacement and received them free for TriMark.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:11 PM   #1477

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
Hi mountain Sam,

Had the dealer do it. I agree regarding the decals, plus I'm hoping it will be easier to maintain and keep clean. I suppose time will tell on how well it holds up. Hope everyone is staying safe out there. I wish we could all get out with the RVs. I for one am missing getting out.
Hobbes, I am back with interest in the paint on your rig. I really like the looks of the cap and was wondering if they clear coated over the paint and if so how many coats. I am seriously thinking of having my whole coach painted and clear coated. Probably not until this season is over, if it ever gets a start. Maybe hunt down a shop for estimates after the state opens up.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:19 PM   #1478

State: Virginia
THOR #12710
Mountain Sam, I will check. Honestly, I didn't ask so I bet it is a single clear coat. I think if I were to do the whole coach, I would use a body shop vs. the RV dealer. I am thinking you might get à better prep from them at a better price. Mine was in the RV dealer and I impulsively just told them to do it. Please let me know what you find out. I am guessing that shops that can do it need a big paint booth. Tractor trailer rig body shop maybe?

Hobbes
Old 04-24-2020, 07:12 PM   #1479

State: North Carolina
THOR #18244
Good Day all,
I have been reading this thread and learning a lot from everyone on here. I appreciate all the info and good advise.
Me and my Wife are new to camping and just bought a 2018 Gemini 24TX.
I have a question.

Does anyone have issues with the countertops rolling out from under the edge due to moisture? if so has anyone had their countertops replaced by a customer countertop place?

I read on here about ac not cooling in the front part of the cabin. I checked the airflow and there was almost no air coming out of the front vents especially on the drivers side so I got to looking for what could help the issue and found that when the manufacturer installed the bathroom fan they either damaged or removed some of the board insulation that was between the ac air duct channel and the bathroom exhaust fan. i pulled the fan and the ac vent out and used great stuff to block that off. This helped the air flow to the front vents. I also pulled the front 2 vents out and noticed the air flow channel went on past the front vents so I blocked those off just past the front 2 vents figuring there was no need for air to flow past there and hoped by stopping them there it would help with back pressure and it must have worked because it helped the flow from the front vents even more. I plan on looking into the rear 2 vents in the bedroom to see if the air channel goes past the rear vents and if so I'm going to block those as well with hopes of maybe getting just a little more air to the front vents.

Thank you again for all the knowledge and sharing.

Wesley
Old 04-24-2020, 08:32 PM   #1480

THOR #6701
Wesley, I have had no issues with our countertops and I I don’t recall any post concerning themAs for the a/c I agree it doesn’t do as good as it should. I have read that it is designed to lower the temp 15 degrees under ambient temp. Not being an a/c guy I don’t know if that’s correct or not. We bought a smallish tower fan and set it in front of the bed while watching tv and it makes a world of difference and they run very quite. I have wanted to tackle the issues with the vents but have not found the energy to tear it apart.

Congrats on the new to you rig and welcome to the forum.

BTW which chassis do you have?

Tags
cutout, dinette, modification, murphy bed, opening, wall