Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2020, 08:43 PM   #1481

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #18244
Thank you mountainsam.
mine is on the sprinter chassis. We've not taking a trip yet due to the Covid-19. The drive from where I bought it at was about 3 hours. It got 15 mpg and I did enjoy driving it. Being this is our first I'm not sure if we will keep it or decide to go with something else. I feel like it was a really good deal and thought we could try it and figure out the things we like and don't like and not lose any money if we do decide to go a different route.

It didn't take long for me to do the things on the ac duct work and it really did help so I would definitely suggest taking the time to do it. I have already been looking at tower fans so I will probably wind up getting one.
Thanks for the reply. I can try to post some pictures if anyone is interested although it is hard to see up inside the vents

Old 04-25-2020, 11:01 PM   #1482

THOR #18244
Good evening All
Me and my wife were working in the Gemini this afternoon putting the essentials in and getting it ready for when we can go on our first trip.
Went to extend the rear side out for the bed that extends straight out the rear and it got about 1/4 way out and the drivers side stop moving. Got it cocked and in a bind before I could stop pushing the button. So now just passenger side motor is working. The controller says there’s a short between the controller and the motor.
Anyone had any experience with this type issue ?
I remember reading on here where you can download the manuals but I can’t seem to find the post again. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 04-25-2020, 11:25 PM   #1483

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJay View Post
Good evening All
Me and my wife were working in the Gemini this afternoon putting the essentials in and getting it ready for when we can go on our first trip.
Went to extend the rear side out for the bed that extends straight out the rear and it got about 1/4 way out and the drivers side stop moving. Got it cocked and in a bind before I could stop pushing the button. So now just passenger side motor is working. The controller says there’s a short between the controller and the motor.
I remember reading on here where you can download the manuals but I can’t seem to find the post again. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Very sorry this happened to you. The good news is that after fixing it you’ll never again be afraid of a slide failure! I don’t have your model so I really can’t help. As I recall though, it’s pretty easy to temporarily disconnect both motors so you can manually push the slide in. The info you need IS available on line and I hope you can find it quickly.
Old 04-25-2020, 11:34 PM   #1484

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
Quote:
Good evening All
I've never had that problem. But you can find many of the manuals at https://www.thormotorcoach.com/owner-resource/ You have to sign up using the chassis VIN (not the ThorVIN). There's a troubleshooting manual for my motorhome with directions on how to reset things and manually push the slide back in.
Old 04-25-2020, 11:51 PM   #1485

THOR #18244
Thank you both for your response.
My model is Gemini 24TX.
I will look for the manuals and see if I can find some trouble shooting information.
I do appreciate all the help and good information on this site.
Old 04-26-2020, 12:29 AM   #1486

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
Quote:
Good evening All
Hi WJay,
yukongrant's directions for gaining access to your specific model info and manuals is certainly the best way. I just went to mine and found this video which might help you.
A couple of other things: I recall a posting mentioning that in their Gemini model their slide controller was under the rear bed -so not easy to get to...
Also, someone suggested leaving the door open while extending and retracting the slide for reduced air suction/pressure. Allowing the slide motor to work against less resistance made a lot of sense to me so I always leave my door open while moving my slide in or out.
Hoping, you get it sorted out easily, Nancy
Old 04-26-2020, 12:36 AM   #1487

THOR #18244
Thank you Nancy. I will check out the video and keep the door open when I get it fixed
Thanks again.
Old 04-26-2020, 10:11 PM   #1488

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: Ontario
THOR #14621
WJay, there are some videos in YouTube also that go through problems that people have had with this mechanism and the electrical. I have the a 23TR on a Ford chassis and the wiring that goes to the controller along with some other circuits are held by a spring that is supposed to keep the harness fro binding. It does the opposite. Hope this helps (along with those that have already helped). This is a great forum with very good info. Cheers
Old 04-26-2020, 11:57 PM   #1489

THOR #18244
Thanks Big Wheel
Mine has some big black flat plastic piece that the wires are strapped to. It has picked the cushions next to the bed because it has rubbed every time the slide is run in and out. It don’t seem to be keeping the wires from getting in a bind or pinched. I expected some type of spring thing like you described but it’s not there. I’m pretty sure the wiring going to the motor on one side has gotten pinched.
Thanks for all the reply’s. I hope to get time tomorrow evening to look for it.

Wesley
Old 04-28-2020, 03:27 PM   #1490

THOR #18244
Well, This is the 3rd time trying to post this. The first 2 times i had it typed out and got a call at work and had to be away from my computer and the forum logged me out and I lost all I had typed. So this one will be short.
After searching I found that the inside rear side vertical seal had come off, (the wiring to the motor runs in a small channel behind the seal) the wire had got caught when running the slide out and unplugged it from the motor and had also pulled one of the wires out of the connector on the motor pig tail. I was able to push the wire back in the connector, re-run the wire, install the seal back in the grove it sets in. Once I got the motors back in time all seems well now. Time will tell.
Thanks for all the help and information, I really do appreciate the help

Wesley
Old 04-28-2020, 07:43 PM   #1491

THOR #6826
Quote:
Well, This is the 3rd time trying to post this. The first 2 times i had it typed out and got a call at work and had to be away from my computer and the forum logged me out and I lost all I had typed. So this one will be short.
After searching I found that the inside rear side vertical seal had come off, (the wiring to the motor runs in a small channel behind the seal) the wire had got caught when running the slide out and unplugged it from the motor and had also pulled one of the wires out of the connector on the motor pig tail. I was able to push the wire back in the connector, re-run the wire, install the seal back in the grove it sets in. Once I got the motors back in time all seems well now. Time will tell.
Thanks for all the help and information, I really do appreciate the help

Wesley

Glad you got it figured out and it was an easy fix. Now you know a bit more about how your coach works. Always a good thing!
Old 04-28-2020, 08:55 PM   #1492

THOR #18244
Thank you Pete and you are correct. Knowledge is king.

I have worked on cars my whole life, mechanically and also worked in a body shop doing body and paint for about 5 years. These things are something else.
One question I have after this is according to the things I read and video's i watched your supposed to be able to remove a screw or 2 from outside at the top of the slide but on the actual rv side and then you can reach around the rubber seal and pop the motor up a little to disengage it which allows you to then push the slide in manually. I couldn't get the motor to move up at all. Not sure if it was in a bind or there was another reason.
Has anyone been able to do this and it work?
Old 04-29-2020, 06:27 PM   #1493

THOR #6826
Quote:
Thank you Pete and you are correct. Knowledge is king.

I have worked on cars my whole life, mechanically and also worked in a body shop doing body and paint for about 5 years. These things are something else.
One question I have after this is according to the things I read and video's i watched your supposed to be able to remove a screw or 2 from outside at the top of the slide but on the actual rv side and then you can reach around the rubber seal and pop the motor up a little to disengage it which allows you to then push the slide in manually. I couldn't get the motor to move up at all. Not sure if it was in a bind or there was another reason.
Has anyone been able to do this and it work?

I had a failure on one end of my slide (SOB, but same slide system) and one motor lifted easily while the other was stuck tight. Fortunately it was the non working side that lifted and I was able to retract the slide with the stuck motor pulling in one side while I manually pushed in the other. I had to go to the manufacturer’s repair center for another reason and had them repair the slide at the same time. I asked the tech about the stuck motor and he said it came right out for him. Leads me to think maybe it was just bound up from trying to move the broken slide before I discovered the issue. If I ever encounter the problem again I’ll try moving the slide one or both directions to see if it frees up.
Old 04-30-2020, 05:37 PM   #1494

THOR #18244
Thanks Pete for the reply and information. I was hoping that the slide was slightly out of alignment and it was causing the motors to be hard to remove. The reason I was hoping this is in case i need to manually push it in some where down the road.
Maybe I won't have a need but after this issue I'm not a trusting guy in slide outs. lol
Old 04-30-2020, 06:19 PM   #1495

THOR #6826
Quote:
Thanks Pete for the reply and information. I was hoping that the slide was slightly out of alignment and it was causing the motors to be hard to remove. The reason I was hoping this is in case i need to manually push it in some where down the road.
Maybe I won't have a need but after this issue I'm not a trusting guy in slide outs. lol

Wise man. I was always slightly terrified of a slide failure until mine did. I think I spent about an hour just wringing my hands before I got to working on the problem. Turned out that pulling the motors is easy (unless one is stuck, of course!) and pushing the slide in manually also was easy. Knowing how to do a manual retract and that it was easy took away my fear of slide failure. Alas, my new coach uses a whole different system so I’m back to worrying some. I do intend to practice one of theses days though and recommend the same to everyone. I was lucky my failure took place on a beautiful day when we were in no hurry to get anywhere. It would have been less fun if it was raining and I needed to be 400 miles away!
Old 05-05-2020, 09:04 PM   #1496

Model: Compass 23TK
THOR #10919
solar panel

While cleaning and resealing the roof on my Compass last year I ran across the connector for attaching a solar panel. I cannot seem to find any information regarding using one. Is there anything else required besides securing the solar panel, verifying polarity, and attaching the leads to the connector? If I use one, it will be mainly just to trickle charge the coach batteries.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:18 AM   #1497

Model: 2019 Gemini 24LP
State: North Dakota
THOR #7154
Solar

Hi Denis123,

Inside the coach, my is right inside the door on the sink cabinet, you should also have a charge controller. I did put a 100 watt solar panel on and it keeps my house batteries fully charged. If you do any boon-docking I highly recommend adding it. In my experience keeping my batteries full has extended there life.

Colonel Christmas
Old 05-06-2020, 08:42 PM   #1498

THOR #14621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis123 View Post
While cleaning and resealing the roof on my Compass last year I ran across the connector for attaching a solar panel. I cannot seem to find any information regarding using one. Is there anything else required besides securing the solar panel, verifying polarity, and attaching the leads to the connector? If I use one, it will be mainly just to trickle charge the coach batteries.
Hi Denis,

If you haven't done so, check your manuals online at the Thor Owners Section of their website. The spec sheet for your solar controller should be located there. This will let you know the maximum size (wattage) you can attach to the controller. Also, measure the area where you want to place the solar panel. If you are going to drill holes, you can contact Thor Customer Service and get them to send you a copy of the roof schematic for your coach so that you can see where the roof members are located. They should also be able to tell you how your coach was wired and what is in the through fitting on the roof.

All of that being said, there is a fellow on YouTube, RVing with Tito. He has done a number of DIY videos and has been doing them for years. He has developed a method for attaching solar panels (the flexible lightweight ones) to the roof of the coach. It is worth a look see.

I have opted for the flexible solar panels and I deploy them either from suction connections on the rear or side of the coach, or from a chair or table. I added an MC4 set of connections that I connect to just under and beside the coach entry door. With 30 feet of cable I can park the rig in the shade and put the panel(s) in the sun. My controller allows me up to 160w of solar. I have a second solar panel, flexible 50w, that I deploy through another solar controller behind the drivers seat to manage my chassis batteries that I can either place up into the skylight if facing the sun when parked in storage or the side window.

There are a lot of things to look for with regards to solar, effectiveness when partially shaded, efficiency of the solar cells, type of coating, etc. Having used solar at our second home these are all considerations.

I went this route with my coach because I don't want to have to climb on to the roof or up a ladder to clean the panel and wanted the flexibility of parking where I wanted. I can put the panels out and they don't have to be out that long to do the job. Everyone is different. Just some thoughts.

It is a great add on and in the US, your choices are endless and prices fantastic!

Good luck!
Old 05-08-2020, 02:07 PM   #1499

State: Iowa
THOR #9915
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhd View Post
I just received a set of front wheel well liners for my Thor Compass Ford Transit. They should keep the vehicle much cleaner and cut down on road noise. They came with mounting Hardware and instructions. They cost just under $200 shipped on ebay. Part Number HK3Z 16F099-A
Motorhd,
A couple years ago you posted that you had added front wheel well liners hoping it would make things cleaner and quieter. If it worked, I will be adding liners to my 2017 Gemini on a Ford chassis.
You or anyone else, how did it work out?
Old 05-08-2020, 03:52 PM   #1500

THOR #14621
Hi Don, I installed the wheel liners and door steps. The liners keep the undercarriage cleaner and trap a lot of the debris that the tires kick up.

Tags
cutout, dinette, modification, murphy bed, opening, wall