Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-29-2020, 01:11 AM   #1561

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
Mountain Sam: Had the same problem but was able to get it to a Ford dealer and the diesel tech did a manual override on the system and never had a problem after that. He said that since the unit was so new was why it did not figure it out itself. I was lucky to be near a great Ford dealer in Lloydminster Alberta and they got us back on the road and even found us a campground 15 minutes away. BTW they had never seen a Transit converted to a motorhome
Coveman2

Old 06-29-2020, 01:31 AM   #1562

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Thanks Coveman2, Thats about the same scenario we had the first time, three years ago. Our local dealer is a Ford Truck Service Center and they had never seen one either. In fact they had never seen the 5 cylinder 3.2 Diesel before. They called the plant in Kansas City and together they figured out a fix. I thought all was good until my sons problem last week.

Did you get a letter extending the warranty to 11 years or 120,000 miles?
I dont know if my driving it short distances or my son driving hard through the desert heat created the problem to rise it's ugly head.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:29 AM   #1563

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
Hi Mountainsam.
I got that letter a couple of weeks ago. They call it the "reductant heater and sender assembly" but it's for DEF system. My transit is a 2018 and I live in Canada (which sometimes have different recalls).
The extended warranty is for 11 years or 192,000 kilometres - which works out to about 120,000 miles. The letter says if you've previously paid for the repairs, you may be eligible for a refund.
So far, we've had no problems with our DEF system. But I'm putting the letter in the rig just in case.
Old 06-29-2020, 04:26 AM   #1564

Model: Tibuton 24RW
State: Missouri
THOR #14227
Mtnsam, Yukongrant, you might look at "Ford Truck enthusiasts" website aka F T E. Lots of information there. There are a few posts for the transit and the small PS diesel. Several about DEF problems. Just don't ideal much more than 10 min or so. (A condition called "dry staking" can occur.) JG
Toad, 2019 Ranger
Retired School Teachers
Ozark Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:48 PM   #1565

Model: Gemini
State: Alabama
THOR #7475
Ok, Gemi and Compass heads: Anybody switch to battle born 100ah life po batteries. I own a 2017 gemini TR. Diesil. I purchased 2 batteries(still in delivery). Now I've read that the WF-8900 main board assembly converter can't handle litium batteries. Doesn't make sense because Thor online manual says converter switch's between 3 stages,
1 absorption mode( normal 13.6 v)
2 block (charges 14.4 over 4 hr.period
3 flote mode( trickle charger)
And battle born has built in bms that shuts charging At 4 deg.
Called Thor and ended up confusing both the service rep and me even more. HELP!!!
Old 06-29-2020, 10:18 PM   #1566

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkirk View Post
Now I've read that the WF-8900 main board assembly converter can't handle litium batteries. HELP!!!
I would suggest contacting WFCO directly. According to their site, it depends on which model of the WF-8900 you own. https://wfcoelectronics.com/product-...f-8900-series/
Old 06-30-2020, 04:43 PM   #1567

Model: Gemini
State: Alabama
THOR #7475
Thanks yukongrant,
So to make things simple for gemini, and compas owners, you can switch from lead acid to lithium.
1st find fuse box and open panel
2nd on inside should be model number (example wf 8955 )
3 -call company support to verify, some models are different.
In my case my controller accepts lithium,but only charges up to 90percent. I plan on upgrading controller ( little silver box under fuse box) at latter date. Thu camping world. The tec. Says 5 easy screws and done. I'm now officially out the rabbit hole. Thanks again yukongrant.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200629_174618385.jpeg
Views:	83
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	24563
Old 07-12-2020, 05:30 PM   #1568

Model: Gemini TX
THOR #13247
Rubber Seal Gasket - Swintek Rear Slide Underside Damage - What ?

2016 Mercedes Benz chassis
2017 Gemini TX - 2 Slide (rear & side)

This rubber gasket piece came out on driver side lower slide inside the unit
onto cushion seating.

Anyone know where and what it does and how important it was.

You can see a chunk of it is chewed up and the slide was have a heck of a time coming in and out.

I lubricated the slide and is much much better, however this piece has fallen out.

Any ideas from where and why and importance to put back in, if at all.

Leave as be.

I cannot see where it goes ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7542.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	24792   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7543.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	24793  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7544.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	24794   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7545.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	24795  

Old 07-24-2020, 12:20 AM   #1569

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
Dreaded Trimark plunger fail

It just happened to me... As I obviously have an original zinc model.

Nothing dramatic as I was home between trips and when the lock failed, I entered through the passenger side. I was able to get the inside handle panel off without damaging it or the RV. I have removed the broken plunger and am using just the deadbolt to keep the door closed.

Bad news is Amy from Trimark has advised me that there will be no free replacement - though the plungers are now all steel- so as all here know a defective handle design for originals.

Weirdly my original was doubly defective as it did not come with an inside deadbolt lever knob. Forced to use pliers to rotate deadbolt from inside. Researching options (reading earlier posts). Interesting you tube on replacing just the plunger (most economical and possibly not requiring me to remove door hardware) has my current interest. Nancy
Old 07-24-2020, 11:57 AM   #1570

Model: Gemini SX, 2018 MB diesel
State: North Carolina
THOR #19778
Getting ready to pick up Gemini SX. Any advice for first trip home?
Old 07-24-2020, 06:47 PM   #1571

THOR #5922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini Cruiser View Post
Happy travels!
I'm sure you plan to give it a good inspection before you leave the lot but a couple of things that I missed as I drove mine home:
End cap on awning was loose or missing as it wasn't here once I got it home.
Decorative wheel shim was loose and rode against the air valve stem causing damage and eventual slow leak - stem and shim needed replacing.
Nancy
Old 07-24-2020, 07:18 PM   #1572

Model: Compass 23 TB
THOR #13224
Here is what I should have asked for but did not.
Oil and filter change (most chassis are one year old)
Test all batteries and if weak have them replaced.
Full tank of fuel.
Full clean up of sawdust behind and in drawers
Starter kit ( water hose, sewer hose, some chemicals for tanks, water regulator)
Make sure you have them show you how to access the water pump and pump strainer to clean it out the first two or three times you use the fresh water tank or better yet have them check the strainer ( it gets full of plastic bits from when they drilled the holes for the pipes)
Check fuse box for any blown fuses
Make sure you know how the 3 way fridge works if your model has one.
Make sure you get the Thor bag with most of the manuals (They are all available on the Thor website when you put in your VIN number and register)
Hope this helps and safe travels and stay safe and good luck
Coveman2
2018 Compass 23 TB
Old 07-24-2020, 10:39 PM   #1573

THOR #5922
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmilla View Post
Happy travels!
I'm sure you plan to give it a good inspection before you leave the lot but a couple of things that I missed as I drove mine home:
End cap on awning was loose or missing as it wasn't here once I got it home.
Decorative wheel shim was loose and rode against the air valve stem causing damage and eventual slow leak - stem and shim needed replacing.
Nancy
So I meant wheel sim (the shinny part on the outside of the hub) ... Not sure that there even are wheel shims! Nancy
Old 07-25-2020, 03:40 AM   #1574

Model: Compass 23TK
State: Indiana
THOR #10919
awning spring arm issue

Carefree main awning. Left side spring arm. When retracting awning all the way in, the outer half of the spring arm does not fold in all the way and the left side end cap pops off. I can push the arm in the rest of the way. Downloaded manuals from Thor owners resource page and studying. The motor side spring arm is fine and awning appears to working fine. Luckily happened at home. Got dark and could not look at closer. Just wondering if anyone knows what should pull the outer half of the arm in so it is flush against the inner arm. The inner half is up against the coach as it should be. Will compare sides tomorrow to see if I can figure out what is wrong. Hoping something is just lose or out of adjustment. Awning appears to be working other than that. Thanks.
Old 07-25-2020, 03:57 AM   #1575

THOR #10919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini Cruiser View Post
Also have them show you how to set up for running antifreeze through the water lines if you will have to winterize it. Along with where the low point drains are located. When I picked mine up they actually gave me a 2 to 3 hour show and tell, but if its your first RV, more questions always come up later.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:59 PM   #1576

Model: Gemini SX, 2018 MB diesel
State: North Carolina
THOR #19778
Thanks to all. Good pickup info. Especially oil change!! 2018 chassis.
Old 07-25-2020, 07:52 PM   #1577

THOR #10919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis123 View Post
Carefree main awning. Left side spring arm. When retracting awning all the way in, the outer half of the spring arm does not fold in all the way and the left side end cap pops off. I can push the arm in the rest of the way. Downloaded manuals from Thor owners resource page and studying. The motor side spring arm is fine and awning appears to working fine. Luckily happened at home. Got dark and could not look at closer. Just wondering if anyone knows what should pull the outer half of the arm in so it is flush against the inner arm. The inner half is up against the coach as it should be. Will compare sides tomorrow to see if I can figure out what is wrong. Hoping something is just lose or out of adjustment. Awning appears to be working other than that. Thanks.
Almost embarrassed to tell you the fix I found for this. But I will in case anyone else makes the same mistake I accidently made. While I was studying the problem and over thinking it, my wife came out and said she found the most likely answer on another forum. Apparently, the last time I rolled it up, I rolled it up backwards, which you can easily do on these awnings if you let it run out the entire way and do not stop it. It just continues and rolls back up in the opposite direction. This put the rolled up portion on top instead of the bottom which made all the difference in the world.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:28 PM   #1578

State: California
THOR #6701
Dennis123, I have heard of that before but I just push the switch once and the awning goes all the way out then makes a half revolution back which drops the little fringe. When I roll it up it is just one push on the switch and it rolls up perfectly. I never have to stop it, its all automatic.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:51 PM   #1579

THOR #14621
GCruiser, also make sure they file the warranty deferral paperwork with Ford so that you get your full coverage. Along with a full tank of fuel you’ll want a full tank of DEF. it has been sitting in the coach and it does breakdown like fuel.

You should also ask for your free 6 months of Sirius.

Just some thoughts.

Enjoy!
Old 07-26-2020, 01:49 AM   #1580

THOR #10919
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
Dennis123, I have heard of that before but I just push the switch once and the awning goes all the way out then makes a half revolution back which drops the little fringe. When I roll it up it is just one push on the switch and it rolls up perfectly. I never have to stop it, its all automatic.
I wonder what device senses when its all the way out? Mine never stops in the out directions unless I hit the out button again, but seems to stop automatically when I retract it. Not a big deal. When I see the fringe drop, when extending I hit the out button to stop it. I downloaded the manual and the manual is for the model that auto retracts on wind direction, but not sure if I have that model as there is no ON/OFF switch for the awning, just the self centering rocker switch for in or out. I think I will email Carefree and ask. Thanks for the info.

Tags
cutout, dinette, modification, murphy bed, opening, wall