Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2020, 05:23 PM   #1741

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #21444
2021 Gemini TW

I recently purchased a 2021 Gemini TW on the Ford chassis and have put a few thousand miles on it. I could not be more pleased with the ride and handling. It's smooth, plenty of power, handles well, and doesn't get blown around in cross winds. The last point was key, since it was the major reason I sold a prior Class C. The engine is quiet at speed, but there is definitely some road noise from the house part.

Gas mileage is good, but highly dependent on how you drive. Out west, speed limits are 70+ in some places. If you are traveling at that speed, mileage is 10-11 mpg. If you slow down to 60-65 mph, then the mileage increases dramatically. As others have said, it's eco or boost, but not both at the same time. One of the best parts of the drivetrain is that you can keep up with traffic through mountains, etc, although mileage will suffer somewhat. My only complaint is the 25 gallon fuel tank. Range is somewhat limited, so you need to plan accordingly. I have not driven it in bad weather yet.

With respect to quality, it's better than I expected based on comments I've read, but it is definitely built to a price. For example, some drawer catches are held on with very short screws, that pull out easily. The attachment for the front curtain is held on with a 3/8 sheet metal screw into the headliner and pulled out after one use. Had they put a short bolt with a washer behind it, that would have been much more secure. Some of the screws holding the drawers together missed the mark when it was build. An afternoon with a screwdriver, some wood glue and proper screws will make all the difference.

I have had no trouble (yet) with other things, but it's still quite new. I was told never use the cold tap on the shower, set the heater output temperature instead. I've followed that, and it seems fine. I know others have had a lot of trouble with the on demand hot water. The rapid camp seems to disconnect and need to be reset all the time. It's easy and takes a minute, but there has to be a better system.

The more time I spend in it, the better the floorplan works. There is ample storage, great space with the slide out, and turning around the front seats and using the included booster cushion makes it feel very spacious for the size. The bathroom is small though. The location of the sink is great, since it doesn't get wet from the shower, however the toilet is on a small platform, which is not ideal. If you are short, that might be something to consider.

Overall, I could not be more pleased. I think you need to know what you're buying. If you're expecting perfect out the gate, that's not it, but it is better than I'd anticipated based on what I'd read.

Old 12-08-2020, 12:34 AM   #1742

Model: Outlaw 29H
State: Ontario
THOR #4874
Yeah, it's a mystery. I called Mercedes and learned a couple of things.
1- they are basically driving computes so could be 1 of many issues and
2- even though I just purchased this from the dealer in July, I was told Mercedes warranty begins when Thor purchases it to build the motorhome. In my case, Nov 2018. So, my 3 year warranty on my 2020 Gemini runs out Nov 2021... 1,5 year warranty now. Brutal!

Meanwhile, I decided just to leave it until spring and then tow it to dealer.

Rv headache [emoji849]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmilla View Post
Mine is the Ford model but I wonder if during your recent "storage check" did you activate anything that might deactivate your ignition? I am thinking awning or slide not toatlly retracted or any leveling componet? Some things do trip your "drive away" ablity until properly in the "store" position. Good luck troubleshooting! Nancy
Old 12-08-2020, 01:20 AM   #1743

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
The warranty for vehicles bought in California starts when it is first registered. My MB Chassis is a 2017 but the motor home is registered as a 2018 when I purchased it. It was a Thor 2018 model Siesta. Thor purchases the chassis in groups and they arrive and sit until they are moved into the assembly line to be built.

Paul
Old 12-08-2020, 02:06 PM   #1744

Model: Outlaw 29H
THOR #4874
Maybe better state laws there. One would believe that the day you drive it off the lot, warranty would begin. Silly me, errr [emoji35]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
The warranty for vehicles bought in California starts when it is first registered. My MB Chassis is a 2017 but the motor home is registered as a 2018 when I purchased it. It was a Thor 2018 model Siesta. Thor purchases the chassis in groups and they arrive and sit until they are moved into the assembly line to be built.

Paul
Old 12-09-2020, 12:46 AM   #1745

Model: compass 23tw
THOR #7466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini Cruiser View Post
Did you ever get coach door to work without slamming?

Hello,Sorry about the long delay in answer,took it back to camping world in bakersfield,ca They put two flat washers between door frame & striker & that took care of the problem, Shortly after that I traded for a Class C outlaw Had it about a year Then sold it outright. Now looking to get another Gemini Proly a 2021 23TW Love the Transit Chassis.

Rgards
Mike
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 06:29 PM   #1746

Model: Tahoe Lite 18DT
State: Arizona
THOR #21476
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
I recently purchased a 2021 Gemini TW on the Ford chassis and have put a few thousand miles on it.
Thanks for that report. Keep us updated! I'm a year away from getting one but as soon as I saw the floorplan, I knew I wanted it.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:54 AM   #1747

Model: Gemini SX, 2018 MB diesel
State: North Carolina
THOR #19778
How do you face tv to watch it?
Old 12-11-2020, 04:46 PM   #1748

State: Texas
THOR #19878
BIM location

Hello All,

While reviewing the Thor website documentation for my unit I noticed a document for the BIM160.

Couldn't find this anywhere on my rv, so I contacted Thor who said it should be in the coach battery compartment or under the chassis hood.

Well I found a BIR110 mounted on the left outside of the coach battery compartment that is under the step. Thor is sending me a BIM160 as that is what is spec'd for my unit.

I also asked for schematic' to determine the proper location of the BIM160.

I am concerned that the BIM160 is not enclosed either under the hood or in the battery compartment.

For others where might your BIM160/225 be installed?

The attached is looking from the back of the rv, red arrow is the step, and the gold arrow is the battery box under the steps.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV BIR 110edited.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	27578  
Old 12-12-2020, 06:01 PM   #1749

Model: Compass 23 TB
THOR #13224
Gas struts for fold up bed on 2018 Compass 23 TB

The gas strut that holds up the bed has lost its ability to keep the bed
up when travelling. I contacted Thor and they sent me the strut that keeps the entry door open (Master Lift ML14-20). The one that is currently on the bed is much larger but no markings as to the strength in pounds or any other info.
Does anyone out there know the correct size for this strut.
Thanks and stay safe, better days are coming
Merry Christmas to all
Coveman2
Old 12-12-2020, 08:52 PM   #1750

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coveman2 View Post
The gas strut that holds up the bed has lost its ability to keep the bed
up when travelling. I contacted Thor and they sent me the strut that keeps the entry door open (Master Lift ML14-20). The one that is currently on the bed is much larger but no markings as to the strength in pounds or any other info.
Does anyone out there know the correct size for this strut.
Thanks and stay safe, better days are coming
Merry Christmas to all
Coveman2
Hi Coveman2, I replaced my bed struts with 2 Strong Arm 4989...see picture. Working well. Before replacement the existing struts were working against lifting the bed:-)
I will make a note of the door strut-- so far mine is working fine but regularly comes detached from one side or the other. I can't seem to snug up both ends as tightening one side seems to loosen the other! Nancy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201212_121805462.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	27592  
Old 12-13-2020, 03:22 PM   #1751

Model: Compass 23 TB
THOR #13224
Nancy: Thanks for replying. My 23 TB only has one gas strut and will look into the Strong Arm. Would you know the pound rating for the Strong arm? I do know the bed weighs about 60 pounds and the wood probably 30 or so.
Thanks again and Merry Christmas and stay safe
Coveman2
Old 12-13-2020, 06:51 PM   #1752

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
THOR #5922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coveman2 View Post
Nancy: Thanks for replying. My 23 TB only has one gas strut and will look into the Strong Arm. Would you know the pound rating for the Strong arm? I do know the bed weighs about 60 pounds and the wood probably 30 or so.
Thanks again and Merry Christmas and stay safe
Coveman2
Hi again, my struts are rated 70lbs but I guess if you have only one you'd need stonger. I took mine right into the store and bought what looked similar. You may need to know the style of connection at each end.
Merry Christmas!
Old 12-14-2020, 02:34 AM   #1753

THOR #19878
Helli all, my 2020 compass 23tw is pre wired for solar.

Is the circuit active or hot?

Cheers
Old 12-14-2020, 12:16 PM   #1754

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
Assuming you have no panels, no. It would connect to a solar charge controller, which will prevent backflow from the batteries.
Old 12-14-2020, 03:45 PM   #1755

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
Hi Roadrunner255

When it says prewired for solar, it means that the wires have already been run and are ready to be connected to the solar panel(s) and controller that you must buy before it operates. They usually run the wires into an overhead cabinet and will have some form of sticker telling you that it is prewired with the wires made available to connect up. There should be wires from the roof and wires from your batteries to connect to the controller you provide. You will also have to mount your solar panel somewhere on the roof.

Paul
Old 12-14-2020, 05:33 PM   #1756

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
Solar Controller

On my Compass 2019 23TR, the solar controller is already installed. It is connected to the batteries and ready for panels to be added which I have not done. Our controller is installed on the cabinet to the left of the stairs. Ours is a Go Power.
If you register at https://www.thormotorcoach.com/owner-resource/ using the VIN of your chassis, you find the manuals for the equipment installed on your specific rig.
Old 12-14-2020, 05:47 PM   #1757

Model: Four Winds 25V
THOR #16038
Prewired for solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner255 View Post
Helli all, my 2020 compass 23tw is pre wired for solar.

Is the circuit active or hot?

Cheers
I have a 2020 Gemini 23tw It is prewired as well. I have a controller in the stair well which tells me the voltage of the coach batteries at all times.Although I don't have solar yet,I would think the cable from the controller to the connection point on the roof is in place,since the cable from the controller to the batteries is in place and connected. I hope this helps.
Old 12-14-2020, 06:28 PM   #1758

THOR #19878
Thaks all, the controller go power is mounted in the stairwell.

We are not going to use solar power and wanted to remove the controller to put some storage netting up.

Will have to find its fuse and remove, cap controller battery wire also.

Cheers
Old 12-16-2020, 08:06 PM   #1759

THOR #19878
Hello all, a few more questions;

Is the santiflush for flushing the black tank easy to access and if so where would you get access to it? Ours does nothing when you connect a hose to it.

When retracting or extracting the slide is it normal should you momentarily stop pressing the slide button for the slide to stop? I then have to bring the slide in or out depending on what direction you were one full cycle in order to bring the slide in or out fully.

When using the shower on city water (water pressure regulator set at 53psi), the hot water cannot keep up. On demand water heater set to 124, is this normal? I know it also depends on the water temp from the source.

Cheers!
Old 12-17-2020, 01:10 AM   #1760

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner255 View Post
Is the santiflush for flushing the black tank easy to access and if so where would you get access to it? Ours does nothing when you connect a hose to it.

When retracting or extracting the slide is it normal should you momentarily stop pressing the slide button for the slide to stop? I then have to bring the slide in or out depending on what direction you were one full cycle in order to bring the slide in or out fully.

When using the shower on city water (water pressure regulator set at 53psi), the hot water cannot keep up. On demand water heater set to 124, is this normal? I know it also depends on the water temp from the source.
When we connect a hose to our saniflush, it sprays water into the black tank. I usually drain the black tank, then turn on the saniflush and watch the drain until the water runs clear. If nothing happens with your system, have it checked. It may be a crimped hose. But it could be a defective saniflush.

We have a control panel for our awning and slide. If you don't keep pressing the icon, it will stop. I just press it again and it continues to completed. I don't have to cycle to a starting point again. Just continue again.

I have not had any problem with our hot water. You've done what you're supposed to do - set the pressure to 53 psi. Do you have to same problem when running the pump - not city water? If that works as expected, maybe reduce the pressure a bit - try 48 psi and then 45.

Tags
cutout, dinette, modification, murphy bed, opening, wall