Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2021, 04:26 PM   #1781

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: compass 23tw
State: Texas
THOR #19878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post
Hello Experienced Thor owners!
Happy New Year!
I understand my Thor Compass (2017) is compatible with shore power 30 amp.
What happens when a park advertises power is 50 amp?
Do I need an adapter of come kind?
Forgive my ignorance.
Jane
50amp to 30amp RV Dogbone adapter
https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Heavy...ace-2342880709

Old 01-04-2021, 08:58 PM   #1782

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Also, I can’t remember ever being at a site that ONLY had 50A service. I would expect there will be a 30A outlet there as well and you should use that if it’s available.
Old 01-04-2021, 11:36 PM   #1783

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Hi Pete's MH
I have only run into one R V Campground that only offered 50 amp service at Loretta Lynn's R V Campground in Tennessee which was in the summer of 2019. At check in they told me all of their sites were 50 amp and since I had 30 amp, they offered to either rent me a 50 to 30 dog bone for $4.00 per day or I could buy a brand new adapter from them. I always carry a 50 to 30 dog bone just in case the 30 amp at the pedestal is faulty or not working.
Paul
Old 01-05-2021, 12:58 AM   #1784

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
Hi Pete's MH
I have only run into one R V Campground that only offered 50 amp service at Loretta Lynn's R V Campground in Tennessee which was in the summer of 2019. At check in they told me all of their sites were 50 amp and since I had 30 amp, they offered to either rent me a 50 to 30 dog bone for $4.00 per day or I could buy a brand new adapter from them. I always carry a 50 to 30 dog bone just in case the 30 amp at the pedestal is faulty or not working.
Paul

Good to know. I carry a surprising array of adapters so I can run on just about anything!
Old 01-05-2021, 06:06 PM   #1785

THOR #19878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
You can easily add a disconnect device but it won’t be entirely effective. The batteries will still self discharge over a period of 3 or 4 weeks. I got tired of it too and installed an 80W solar panel with a Trik L Start on the chassis battery. So far, even with the gray Indiana winter it’s keeping all 3 of my batteries topped up. One of the best mods I’ve done .
Not sure if one of these devices would help prevent drain on the House batteries.

https://www.prioritystart.com/Batter...tallation.html
Old 01-05-2021, 10:32 PM   #1786

Model: Gemini 23tw
State: Florida
THOR #21664
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX247 View Post
I think it is in the hidden config menu on the RVMaster app on the control panel. Here is how you get into it...

Click the "GENERAL SETTINGS" title bar 5 times fast. It does not look like a button. It is a hidden configuration menu.
This worked perfectly. The only little hump I had was that at the end of the config steps it asked me for the coach serial number (which is NOT the vin). However, I logged onto the Thor owners section of their website and the first line was the Coach ID. I typed this in and was able to save my changes. You were right about the generator taking slightly longer to start. Might be allowing time for glow plugs on a diesel generator to heat the fuel. In anycase, it's now time to go and mess with something else!
Old 01-12-2021, 12:13 AM   #1787

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
Hi Pete's MH
Paul

Interesting that not a week after this exchange we came upon a park with only 50A connections while making reservations for our snowbird trip!
Old 01-12-2021, 01:03 PM   #1788

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #18475
Huh! Glad I bought the adapter. Thanks again!
Jane
Old 01-19-2021, 05:19 PM   #1789
JRA

Model: 2019 Gemini 23TB
State: Georgia
THOR #17642
Bent Black Tank Valve Handle

Black tank valve was hard to operate and the valve handle (aluminum shaft) bent while trying to force it closed. Does anyone have experience in changing the shaft? Seems straight forward enough and replacement parts are readily available on Amazon. However, I am have trouble getting the bent shaft off. I think it screws onto a cable that is inside a sheath from the valve compartment to the valve. Trying to turn the shaft causes the cable to rotate inside the sheath.

Also, do the valves need to be lubricated at intervals?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-19-2021, 05:33 PM   #1790

Model: Gemini TX
State: Ontario
THOR #13247
I found this miserable placement upon taking delivery, I used two Camco extensions and now the outlet rests just inside of the compartment for easy access. the last extension I used had a second gate valve as a back up the thor provided one that leaked. So summary I used to Camco extension and brought it out to a more comfortable placement to the front. The last gate valve extension had both the swivel and a flushing component to it.

Part like this and all those in the Camco family of parts works.

https://www.amazon.ca/Camco-Adapter-...motive&sr=1-21

Here is my video on showing the 90 deg elbow in place, I then added the straight connector with gatevalve with flush onto the part shown

Old 01-19-2021, 07:35 PM   #1791

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Black tank valve was hard to operate and the valve handle (aluminum shaft) bent while trying to force it closed. Does anyone have experience in changing the shaft? Seems straight forward enough and replacement parts are readily available on Amazon. However, I am have trouble getting the bent shaft off. I think it screws onto a cable that is inside a sheath from the valve compartment to the valve. Trying to turn the shaft causes the cable to rotate inside the sheath.

Thanks in advance!

No experience with bent handle. Recall reading on this site that annually pouring a 1/2 cup of mineral oil down (toilet for black tank and kitchen drain for gray) ends up lubricating respective seals and valves. Nancy
Old 01-19-2021, 07:46 PM   #1792

THOR #19878
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post

Thanks in advance!
Which type of valve do you have, handle connected to a cable or just a valve.

Mine was stuck, ended up being the cable was to long and tied up in a loop.

Here is a link to replacing the type with a cable.

Make sure you flush out the black tank first.

Shaft cannot be replaced have to replace the valve.

https://youtu.be/x80lafOhfMI
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cable-Valve-Instllation-Instruction.pdf (1.23 MB, 56 views)
File Type: pdf TC016-1N_Installation-Instructions.pdf (2.87 MB, 32 views)
Old 01-19-2021, 07:52 PM   #1793

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
If the handle is bent, you have to replace the entire valve. It is a simple(but messy) job. Make sure the tank is empty. Have a pan/bucket handy and a few towels handy. Gloves and eye protection are strongly recommended. You can check out YouTube on how the valve comes off.

Paul
Old 01-30-2021, 04:21 PM   #1794
MIK

Brand: Still Looking
State: Quebec
THOR #22000
Parking in big cities

Hello, 1 am a new member. (Sorry for my english i am french). We are near retirement and we have been analising motorhomes for quite some time. When retired we want to tour Canada and the States. Our best pick right now is Gemeni/Compass B+. Is this RV easy to manouever in big cities. And what about parking ? Very interesting reading this Forum. Thank you.
Old 01-30-2021, 04:44 PM   #1795

Model: Compass 23 TB
THOR #13224
We bought ours new in 2018 (2017 Ford Diesel chassis). Are very happy with the Compass, great room inside we have had no large issues and my dealer, Thor and Ford have all been great to deal with any problems. Driving is like driving a car and the diesel has lots of power and good on the fuel consumption. Longest trip was 23,000km`s to Alaska and up to Yellowknife and then home to eastern Ontario. Problems with the DEF system but found a Ford dealer and back on the road in a couple of hours. Had to have the coach water pump replaced as it had seized and a flat inside rear tire all fixed under warranty.
The only negatives would be outside storage and where they located the water pump.
Have done many upgrades to make it what we want.
Coveman2
2018 Compass 23 TB
You can send me a PM and I can let you know what I did
Old 01-30-2021, 05:36 PM   #1796

THOR #21444
Parking in big cities

I have a 2021 Gemini TW. Compared to a Sprinter or Transit type B, it has a lot more room inside, particularly with the full wall slide and, I think, adequate storage. Overall length is very similar to the type B vans, but it is wider. As for maneuverability and parking in a city, it’s not bad, but it’s similar in size to driving a small box truck, like a U-haul. Anywhere outside of a downtown area, I’ve had no problems at all, since it can park pretty much anyplace a van could. The width is not really an issue.

I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t want it in a major city downtown, since it would be a lot to deal with. The height is too much for most parking garages, so you would have to rely on street parking. Finding a parallel parking spot in a city would be a challenge, I think. If I were going someplace like NYC or Boston, I’d probably try to find a place to park in a near suburb and either take a commuter train or Uber in rather than deal with it in a true city.

For us, the major reason behind picking this model, was the size, which is small enough that we don’t feel any need to tow another vehicle.
Old 01-30-2021, 05:51 PM   #1797

Model: Four Winds 25V
THOR #16038
In May 2019 I bought a 2020 Ford Gemini TW with the intention of visting my son and family how living in kingston Ont. We live in Vancouver B.C. Are plan was to go every other year, and get to see are grand kids in person ( Covid stopped that for now ).Our 1st trip was to the Yukon and into Alaska. On our way Home we took the Northern B.C. route then Jasper and Banff. We drove many mountain passes I couldn't believe how well this little Diesel pulled up these mountains and on the HWY it was easy driving with great fuel economy ( 45/47 or about 18 mpg). Easy driving /parking in the the city and campgrounds. I have had no major problems, only some Thor quality issues, nothing I couldn't fix myself. I have added a spare tire and custom tire mount I had made. I aiso bought a stowaway cargo carrier to help with the storage issue All in all I love this motorhome no regrets.
Old 01-30-2021, 07:10 PM   #1798

Model: Compass 23 TB
THOR #13224
Thorgem: I live just west of Kingston and did the Alaska/Yukon NWT in 2019 and are plan was to go back to BC again as we did a Vancouver and the island trip in 2017 in our Roadtrek.
We are also very happy with our Compass but not sure where we are headed this year if any. Last year we did short trips around Ontario for 1-2 week duration and wanted to go back to the east coast and do PEI again but covid got in the way , hoping for a different outcome this year.
Coveman2
2018 Thor Compass 23 TB
Old 01-30-2021, 09:09 PM   #1799

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
THOR #5922
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIK View Post
Hello, 1 am a new member. (Sorry for my english i am french). We are near retirement and we have been analising motorhomes for quite some time. When retired we want to tour Canada and the States. Our best pick right now is Gemeni/Compass B+. Is this RV easy to manouever in big cities. And what about parking ? Very interesting reading this Forum. Thank you.
Welcome! There sure is a lot of information in this thread for the Compass/Gemini owner!
I find my Gemini (on the Ford) easy enough to drive in city traffic --so I don't even think about it anymore.
During both City and Highway driving the my biggest challenge was getting use to using the double mirrors to avoid cutting off other cars while changing lanes. The rear view camera is great. I have even managed a 180’ turn on a narrow dirt road with a ditch on each side;-) As mentioned, city parking can be hard to find...street parking sometimes requires parallel parking. I did "rub" my rear quarter panel on a parking meter by swinging out too sharply as someone crowded me in. There is a tiny bit of tail swing (as I think it is called).
I really like my Gemini. I am sad Thor is not offering my floorplan anymore. I am already wondering what I will do when it comes time to update/replace my 2017 --until then --I guess I better keep up with the routine maintenance chores to improve it’s life expectancy. Nancy
Old 01-31-2021, 06:12 PM   #1800

Model: Gemini TX
THOR #13247
I have a Gemini TX - Mercedes Sprinter - 2 slides, much like the Navion IQ and the View G. Parking is awesome and easy, however you are always aware of its size. I park it at Tim Hortons, no drive thru and walk into the store. I park at shopping malls well away from the front doors. I go to Canadian Tire to pick up parts, same park far enough away from the heathens. Simply I love the Gemini for this two slide layout and that was solely the reason I bought this motorhome and love it. One slide gives me a livingroom and the second slide give me the feeling and optics of have a master bedroom all on a Mercedes chassis. I feel good about driving this vehicle and handles like a mini-van. Did I mention there is a big silver star on the front and people are always wanting to get inside for a look. My only other option was the LTV Serenity and the Unity, possibly the Tiffin. This Gemini hit on most of those similar vehicles at half the price and that buys alot of add on toys I bought for my Gemini. The Gemini to me is the best value motorhome in the B+, C class category. Why Thor cancelled this model is beyond me.

Tags
cutout, dinette, modification, murphy bed, opening, wall