Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2022, 07:29 PM   #1

State: Florida
THOR #23972
Generator Question

Does the generator on the tellaro run on propane or gasoline? Thanks

Old 06-07-2022, 01:53 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tellaro 20L
State: North Carolina
THOR #26907
The Onan generator on the Tellaro runs on gas (Onan 2800 QGi). Thor only installs the propane generator on the diesels according to the manual and after speaking with them directly. That being said, Thor is no longer manufacturing any of their gas Tellaro's with a conventional generator. They are using the lithium batteries and calling their generator an "underhood generator" which is basically an extra alternator to charge the house batteries. A friend of mine was wanting to purchase one with a "gas generator" and Thor advised him they don't make them anymore so if you find one that is new it will most likely be a late 2022 model and not a 2023 would think. Some of the other brands that are similar (Winnebago Travato) may still offer the Onan on newer ones but not sure. If seriously considering one with the "underhood " generator strongly recommend at least the 400ah or 800 ah option as the 200 ah (base model) is really not enough battery to run the A/C. Will deplete the house batteries within a little over an hour if you are lucky.
Old 06-08-2022, 02:01 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #22773
My 2021 Thor Tellaro had a generator and it ran on gas from the gas tank. When I purchased my 2022 Thor sanctuary, I was informed that Thor was eliminating generators on their B class RVs so I quickly found one with a generator. Once Thor has perfected the 1000ah+ lithium system with a 3500 watt inverter and under the hood fast charge generator ... I'll consider switching ...
Old 06-08-2022, 11:48 AM   #4

Model: 2022 Sanctuary
THOR #26179
I was skeptical at first with the LI system , because I wanted a Genset , but now , I see even with some issues , I like no noise of the LI battery system , no drain on fuel systems , as long as you know its limitations & how to work around them . I'm not going to say decreased maintenance , because at face value ,without another mechanical piece of equipment to maintain its a plus,but right now it seems our LI Battery system is having issues with the Transfer switch or the Inverter or both . Probably not Thor's issue , more a sub supplier of components that are the issue, I'm waiting for the Transfer Switch assembly to come in for them to replace it . The system does work & not having to change oil/filter in a Genset to me is a plus , not to mention the weight difference of the Genset, helps .

Knowing what I know now , I would like to have the 800AH system instead of the 400 AH , but for what we use our Sanctuary , I think it will be fine for us .

I also would not be worried about idling the Diesel to charge , probably not a good idea to do it for hours on end ,but as long as the Diesel has been serviced correctly. It shouldn't be an issue .

Time & use will answer all . One other thing , I have been reading how they are using the LI Battery system for Marine use in boats that had a Genset .
Old 06-08-2022, 12:26 PM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Diesel can idle wit no harm as long as you ramp up the RPM's to 1000 or so. They are designed to run stationary in many applications. Many vehicles have a "high idle" option but you have to look hard to find it in the menus. That feature can be added aftermarket as well...kinda like the remote start kit a few years ago.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 12:43 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Diesel can idle wit no harm as long as you ramp up the RPM's to 1000 or so. They are designed to run stationary ...
SOME diesels are designed to run on idle for a long time , I'm not sure that THAT RAM engine is designed for it because it is a light duty diesel for vehicle application and not a stationary engine.
Problems due to long term low idle includes premature wear in the head components due to lack of lubrication, etc.
That being said, the number of hours a class B engine will run probably is way less than a working van so even with premature wear, it should survive the Class B life.... Just keep the oil and temp. in good shape.

I find interesting that in order to "reduce emissions" the solution is to drop a gas generator and have a diesel as back up...
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 12:52 PM   #7

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
SOME diesels are designed to run on idle for a long time , I'm not sure that THAT RAM engine is designed for it because it is a light duty diesel for vehicle application and not a stationary engine.
Problems due to long term low idle includes premature wear in the head components due to lack of lubrication, etc.
That being said, the num "reduce emissions" ber of hours a class B engine will run probably is way less than a working van so even with premature wear, it should survive the Class B life.... Just keep the oil and temp. in good shape.

I find interesting that in order to "reduce emissions" the solution is to drop a gas generator and have a diesel as back up...

1) Increasing RPM increases oil flow as well as cooling...the oil acts as a coolant also. Diesel engines will actually cool down below recommended levels at idle...it is necessary to ramp them up over extended idle times.

2) Interesting read for those who do not know...

https://rentar.com/diesel-engines-ge...etrol-engines/
Old 06-08-2022, 01:18 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
Quote:
2) Interesting read for those who do not know...
https://rentar.com/diesel-engines-ge...etrol-engines/
Not that simple...
Thermal efficiency increases with combustion pressure/temperature but so does Nitrogen Oxyde production....
Then you need to have SCR, EGR and a lab. in your exhaust in order to tackle that.
If you consider the TOTAL emission footprint (including production of additional components) of the diesel powerplant plus the electrification on items that are really bad stuff (like mining for Neodimium, disprosium, Lithium, etc) there is absolutely no way that a "modern" diesel class B van pollute less than a gas version with a gas generator w/o the lithium batteries during its production and life.
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 01:46 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthgear View Post
I was skeptical at first with the LI system , because I wanted a Genset , but now , I see even with some issues , I like no noise of the LI battery system , no drain on fuel systems , as long as you know its limitations & how to work around them . I'm not going to say decreased maintenance , because at face value ,without another mechanical piece of equipment to maintain its a plus,but right now it seems our LI Battery system is having issues with the Transfer switch or the Inverter or both . Probably not Thor's issue , more a sub supplier of components that are the issue, I'm waiting for the Transfer Switch assembly to come in for them to replace it . The system does work & not having to change oil/filter in a Genset to me is a plus , not to mention the weight difference of the Genset, helps .

Knowing what I know now , I would like to have the 800AH system instead of the 400 AH , but for what we use our Sanctuary , I think it will be fine for us .

I also would not be worried about idling the Diesel to charge , probably not a good idea to do it for hours on end ,but as long as the Diesel has been serviced correctly. It shouldn't be an issue .

Time & use will answer all . One other thing , I have been reading how they are using the LI Battery system for Marine use in boats that had a Genset .
You mean like all those diesel trucks in rest stops and truck stops idiling their diesels to run A/Cs while the driver sleeps?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 04:58 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
You mean like all those diesel trucks in rest stops and truck stops idiling their diesels to run A/Cs while the driver sleeps?
Most newer class 7 or 8 tractors (trucks) have an auto shutoff feature. That feature shuts off the engine if engine idles for 5 minutes with the brakes applied and the steering wheel is not moved. If the engine is restarted within 5 minutes a note is made the electronic log book. Modern tractors have a A/C pack on the back of the cab the that is electrically powered. Several states require these features it the tractor is registered in that state.

The son of one of our Village's residents, lives full time in this tractor (truck). The Navastar (VW) tractor is owned the R&L Carriers, but equipped the way he wants. The International is the LT series with a Cumimns X15, auto trans and the 6 ft, Sky Rise Sleeper. It comes standard with the no idle when parked feature and R&L requires the Electronic Log Book The truck is linked by sat to Navastar maintenance and repair computers and to the R&L dispatch center at all times. The truck schedules itself for routine maintenance and displays the info. If the driver OKs the appointment the info is transferred to his cell phone and to the GPS. Emergency service is handled the same way all by sat. The Electronic Drives Log, logs all cell phone usage with numbers when he is in the truck. The tractor has four cameras with a 270 degree view all bring recorded. All this technology is required by the insurance company to get all the business discounts available. No he doesn't own a car but rents one when on vacation..
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 05:35 PM   #11

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Most newer class 7 or 8 tractors (trucks) have an auto shutoff feature. That feature shuts off the engine if engine idles for 5 minutes with the brakes applied and the steering wheel is not moved. If the engine is restarted within 5 minutes a note is made the electronic log book. Modern tractors have a A/C pack on the back of the cab the that is electrically powered. Several states require these features it the tractor is registered in that state.

The son of one of our Village's residents, lives full time in this tractor (truck). The Navastar (VW) tractor is owned the R&L Carriers, but equipped the way he wants. The International is the LT series with a Cumimns X15, auto trans and the 6 ft, Sky Rise Sleeper. It comes standard with the no idle when parked feature and R&L requires the Electronic Log Book The truck is linked by sat to Navastar maintenance and repair computers and to the R&L dispatch center at all times. The truck schedules itself for routine maintenance and displays the info. If the driver OKs the appointment the info is transferred to his cell phone and to the GPS. Emergency service is handled the same way all by sat. The Electronic Drives Log, logs all cell phone usage with numbers when he is in the truck. The tractor has four cameras with a 270 degree view all bring recorded. All this technology is required by the insurance company to get all the business discounts available. No he doesn't own a car but rents one when on vacation..

Spot on...my wife and I made our fortune in commercial truck sales and finance. They have changed so much over the years and most people don't have a clue. As you stated, most fleet trucks have an APU (auxiliary power unit) mounted on the frame that supply power to cab and A/C while the engine is shut down at trucks stops for hours (RV generator scenario). Also, many truck stops now have "convenience islands" the trucks park at that supply cable TV, internet and A/C to the cab...again...as it sits with the engine not running. Very similar to a motorhome at a campground. The refer units are a different story...but so are the massive earth movers in the construction industry and the boilers at massive power plants burning fossil fuel to make electricity. It's a very opinion driven subject but the battle of electricity vs. fossil fuel will not be resolved in any of our living days. Just enjoy what makes you happy and die happy (and saved).
Old 06-08-2022, 06:50 PM   #12
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Spot on...my wife and I made our fortune in commercial truck sales and finance. They have changed so much over the years and most people don't have a clue. As you stated, most fleet trucks have an APU (auxiliary power unit) mounted on the frame that supply power to cab and A/C while the engine is shut down at trucks stops for hours (RV generator scenario). Also, many truck stops now have "convenience islands" the trucks park at that supply cable TV, internet and A/C to the cab...again...as it sits with the engine not running. Very similar to a motorhome at a campground. The refer units are a different story...but so are the massive earth movers in the construction industry and the boilers at massive power plants burning fossil fuel to make electricity. It's a very opinion driven subject but the battle of electricity vs. fossil fuel will not be resolved in any of our living days. Just enjoy what makes you happy and die happy (and saved).
Yeah, I've seen some of those "APUs": a Honda 2000i on a home made shelf.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote