Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2017, 05:58 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
Plus, as was said on another discussion regarding tankless hot water heaters, you have to just leave it in the hottest position....no trying to adjust temp with cold like you might with the "tank" type (I've set mine a bit lower at 110').
I have found this to work for me AND I found in my shower --that the tap I thought was the hot tap --was actually the cold tap.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:41 AM   #42

State: Arizona
THOR #8280
On my new Synergy I could only get hot water when hooked up to a park with high pressure so I was without hot water on most of my three month trip. CW in Chattanooga installed a bigger pump for me so I could take a shower when I disconnected park water. Girard was useless in helping to solve the problem. I only had about half the pressure on the hot water line but nobody could explain why. They couldn't find a kink. Three go.es in the
Old 10-15-2017, 11:57 AM   #43

State: Arizona
THOR #8280
When I returned home, I took the problem to a mechanic I trust. Come to find out, there is a flow valve on the back of the Girard. It is supposed to come out of the factory fully opened. Mine was half way shut off. Once it was opened all the way, it now seems to work. However, I am still debating whether to spend another $800 to get rid of the tankless and get a 6 gallon tank water heater. The tankless water heaters waste a lot of water getting hot and if you are dry camping you can fill your grey water tank too quickly. It is sad that both the Thor reps, the CW service people, and the Girard people are so incompetent that they know so little about their equipment.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:46 AM   #44

Brand: Still Looking
State: Washington
THOR #13203
If thor ran grey tank lines to black tank..then unit was plumbed wrong and should be fixed to have grey and black tanks separated. It is a hazard if black tank has the ability to vent back through any sinks.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:01 AM   #45
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_theRV_guy View Post
If thor ran grey tank lines to black tank..then unit was plumbed wrong and should be fixed to have grey and black tanks separated. It is a hazard if black tank has the ability to vent back through any sinks.
Then Thor has plumbed just about every motorhome they built wrong as they all have the bathroom sink going to the black tank. Its even worse because if you get the engineering drawings from them you discover that they are designed that way from the start.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:09 PM   #46
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Not everything that you disagree with is a mistake...
Thor tied the bathroom sink into the Blackwater Tank for a pretty good reason, and they even included a method for dealing with the gases.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:59 PM   #47

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Newbry View Post
The tankless water heaters waste a lot of water getting hot and if you are dry camping you can fill your grey water tank too quickly.
Our water heats pretty darn fast in the MH.I was surprised the first time I used it. We have tankless at home also but that one does take what seems like 5 minutes to heat but it has a long run from the garage to the kitchen sink.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:55 AM   #48

THOR #13203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Not everything that you disagree with is a mistake...
Thor tied the bathroom sink into the Blackwater Tank for a pretty good reason, and they even included a method for dealing with the gases.
That is crazy...what was the method they used for the gases... just curious.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:57 AM   #49

THOR #13203
That is crazy..thanks for the insight.��
Old 09-25-2018, 03:50 PM   #50

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Texas
THOR #7972
I posted his before on the Gemini / Compass thread.

Although the on demand water heater needs a minimum flow to operate there is another factor to consider. I too had trouble regulating temperature at first. Setting the temperature to the recommended 115deg and regulating with cold water did not work. Temperature would rise to 130 and cutoff delivering a shot of cold water. Did the flow test per Girard's instructions, passed. Gerard suggested using the controller to set desired temperature and no cold water mixing. Setting to absolute minimum (90?) helped some over the summer. This is using the onboard fresh water(first clue). Turns out the unit needs about a 30deg temperature delta between supply and delivered water to supply a steady outlet temperature. The onboard water here in Texas was 85 to 90deg all summer. Using park water two weeks ago in Arkansas (65deg), the unit performed flawlessly. Still using absolute temperature for showers (95-100deg depending on personal preference). Bottom line is the unit has minimum flow and temperature delta requirements.
Hugh
Old 09-25-2018, 04:13 PM   #51
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_theRV_guy View Post
That is crazy...what was the method they used for the gases... just curious.
I'm not sure of the exact nam; but it's something like: "air-entrainment valve vent".
Old 09-25-2018, 04:51 PM   #52

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Most of the problems with the tankless water heaters, are flow and pressure related. You need to have between 50 and 55psi for it to work consistently. Once I changed out my pressure regulator for an adjustable one, and set it to 53psi, the water heater has worked quite well. As far as the mattress we added a 2 inch memory foam pad, think it came from Camping World, which helps it a lot. My only real complaint with the bed, is its difficult for us to get in and out of it, and to make it up in the morning. We have learned some tricks in the past couple of years which do help.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:57 PM   #53

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #2526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
Most of the problems with the tankless water heaters, are flow and pressure related. You need to have between 50 and 55psi for it to work consistently. Once I changed out my pressure regulator for an adjustable one, and set it to 53psi, the water heater has worked quite well. As far as the mattress we added a 2 inch memory foam pad, think it came from Camping World, which helps it a lot. My only real complaint with the bed, is its difficult for us to get in and out of it, and to make it up in the morning. We have learned some tricks in the past couple of years which do help.
The mattress gel pads from Costco are great too.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:49 PM   #54

State: Florida
THOR #6333
2017 thor Km24 equipped with girard 2 tankless. Have never gotten "hotwater." 82F is as hot? as it gets. I've tried set temps from 105 to 124 which is as hi as it goes. No change. Water hook ups or pump no change. Cleaned the pump filter, no change. Monitor comes on shows flame, fan blade spins hits 82F and stops getting hotter. Flame at the tankless comes on but with no vigor. Could maybe light a cigarette, but definitely not vigorous enough to heat water. Takes 60 sec to flow 1 gallon on pump. There is a slight pulse in the pump, but that doesn't explain it being the same at hookups. Anyone?????
Old 11-11-2018, 07:34 PM   #55

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Texas
THOR #7972
My experience is described in post #50 above. Have you tried calling Girard texhicnal support? They were helpful when I called. From your description it could be a defictive unit.
Good luck,
Hugh
Old 11-11-2018, 09:58 PM   #56

Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
My Girard water heater was defective. Thor replaced it.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:50 PM   #57

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I think that these systems work on water flow 'triggering' the heating mechanism. If not enough flow, then the heater doesn't think it's supposed to be working, even you have only the HOT water side of the faucet or shower turned on. I think that RV water pumps, low shore water pressure, and/or constricted/small water lines in RVs can be problematic.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:25 PM   #58
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Our new rig is equipped with an on-demand system from Truma. I think that it requires a whole lot less flow rate, in order to work properly.
We'll know once we get it on the road next Spring...
Old 11-12-2018, 06:45 PM   #59

THOR #6333
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrhugh View Post
My experience is described in post #50 above. Have you tried calling Girard texhicnal support? They were helpful when I called. From your description it could be a defictive unit.
Good luck,
Hugh
Called Girard. Went over symptoms. They concluded low propane pressure delivery. All orher propane system components work as they should. Flame height should rise and fall with temp set at controller like a stove low to hi. My is on constant low regardless of temp set. Said check propane delivery pressure, should be 11wci. If the pressure is correct connect 25lb tank directly to tankless hw unit. Have not read/found one other rver that has had this particular problem. Any thoughts?????
Old 01-14-2019, 01:14 PM   #60

THOR #6333
I have the same problem.